g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The redcafe slagging is basically ported directly from Twitter and whatever other social media he uses. He’s almost certainly a douche but a massive internet pile-on aimed at someone whose step dad is almost certainly currently dying a horrific death - because we don’t agree with how he’s behaving and/or don’t like the way he presents himself online - is spectacularly mean spirited. Well done to all involved.
This post aged like milk (to the surprise of no one).

prateik

Do we know how long it took the sub to reach the ocean floor during its descent ? All I can see is that the whole trip took ~8 hrs..

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Do we know how long it took the sub to reach the ocean floor during its descent ? All I can see is that the whole trip took ~8 hrs..
2 hours I think. And they lost contact an hour 45 in. So they were pretty close to the ocean bed.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Someone made a tweet that said they had switched to their auxiliary navigation controls, with a picture of donkey konga bongos from the GameCube. Absolutely neutral response from me when I saw that.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
OceanGate CEO and Founder Stockton Rush told a US television network he was aware of the risks involved with diving thousands of metres beneath the oceans surface during an interview in December 2022.

Rush was speaking to CBS Sunday Morning when he said his “biggest fear” was “things that will stop me from being able to get to the surface”.
"Overhangs, fish nets, entanglement hazards. And, that’s just a technique, piloting technique. It’s pretty clear — if it’s an overhang, don’t go under it. If there is a net, don’t go near it. So, you can avoid those if you are just slow and steady".
The CEO also said “there’s a limit” to how safe it could make the operation despite introducing some procedures.
"I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed. Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything. At some point, you’re going to take some risk, and it really is a risk-reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules".
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...submersible-rescue-us-coast-guard-latest-news
That last sentence shows how he views it all. Take risks, rules can be broken.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I keep checking the news for a positive update. Looking very bleak at this stage.

If still alive, their only hope is that the oxygen lasts longer than expected, the ex navy submariner will likely have everybody well drilled on slow breathing techniques.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
why would reducing supply extend its use?

I don't see how it's possible to change the supply, the only thing they can somewhat control is how much they use (staying warm, calm etc..)
I guess he means ‘thin the air mixture’ so there’s less breathable oxygen, but still enough to survive - a bit like at high altitude. I doubt this is possible as from what I’ve seen, the tanks are stowed in a sealed off compartment.

Tarrou

I guess he means ‘thin the air mixture’ so there’s less breathable oxygen, but still enough to survive - a bit like at high altitude. I doubt this is possible as from what I’ve seen, the tanks are stowed in a sealed off compartment.
yeah sorry I realised that but deleted my post as I was too lazy to edit it

Have any of the remote subs been down to the wreck yet to see if they are down there entangled in it? That's probably a likely scenario considering they lost contact when they were virtually at the bottom.

Rooney24

If they are still deep under the water you would have to think this is now going to be too late to have a successful outcome. By the time they locate them, and then actually bring them to the surface it is probably beyond the point of a successful outcome.

If the are bobbing along on the surface then obviously they have a better chance.

buchansleftleg

That last sentence shows how he views it all. Take risks, rules can be broken.
Yes he's totally "disrupted" himself and others into a Titanium and Carbon Fibre coffin. Maybe he should have concentrated more on practical safety equipment that could save lives rather than listening to motivational podcasts!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think if they weren't already dead this is done now. 3 hours of oxygen left and they've not even found them yet. Would take longer than that to get them up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think if they weren't already dead this is done now. 3 hours of oxygen left and they've not even found them yet. Would take longer than that to get them up.
How accurate is the hours of oxygen? Surely stress levels could bring it down somewhat too?

Camilo

Have any of the remote subs been down to the wreck yet to see if they are down there entangled in it? That's probably a likely scenario considering they lost contact when they were virtually at the bottom.
It's been destroyed, no other reason for the complete silence. They died days ago.

mitChley

I'd agreed. Unless they are floating on the surface somewhere undetected then it would seem that even if they could extend their oxygen supplies a few hours, it is too late.

I work in Quality in a research environment and some of the wording from the company I'll be using for training courses in the future (once it isn't as fresh). Their talk of certification slowing down innovation etc, and then the outcome.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Does anyone know if/why something like this wouldn’t work under the sea? Seems insane not to bring one down with them if it might have helped? Maybe the signal wouldn’t transmit well through water and the distances are too big to make it useful?
From my limited knowledge, it's just really difficult to get any sort of signal to travel underwater, particularly at the depths involved here.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
fecking hell, I was already scared to go to the sea because of small fish and sharks (imaginary as they are very very rarely in the Mediterranean) but this just means I will never go the sea again :lol:
Sharks are very common in the Mediterranean

Rooney24

Does anyone know if/why something like this wouldn’t work under the sea? Seems insane not to bring one down with them if it might have helped? Maybe the signal wouldn’t transmit well through water and the distances are too big to make it useful?
Those kind of things are very limited or don't work at all under water.

From what Ive seen on the news etc the most effective way of communicating underwater is acoustically.

wr8_utd

:'(
How accurate is the hours of oxygen? Surely stress levels could bring it down somewhat too?
Alternatively, it can also be increased if they're calm, limit physical activity and engage in breathing exercises etc. There's no real fixed number here really. There could be lesser or more than the officially stated hours. And of course, the morbid but unlikely scenario where they kill some passengers and have increased oxygen supply?!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The wavelength of the signal doesn't travel through water at all well.

stepic

the banging sounds are actually kinda bad. Implies they didn’t die early on and instead have had a rather horrific ending to their lives.

Zen86

the banging sounds are actually kinda bad. Implies they didn’t die early on and instead have had a rather horrific ending to their lives.
They’re probably sat watching the oxygen meter slowly tick down.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Yes he's totally "disrupted" himself and others into a Titanium and Carbon Fibre coffin. Maybe he should have concentrated more on practical safety equipment that could save lives rather than listening to motivational podcasts!
I thought the whataboutery was strong. He says going down 4km into the sea is a risk, but so is driving a car and even getting out of bed. I don't quite see those risks as the same as the one these guys have taken.

buchansleftleg

There are maritime versions where they will travel upto the surface and then start broadcasting a signal. It obviously will drift on the ocean but can dramatically reduce the area you need to search.

Just saw something very alarming on the BBC website of a previous passenger talking about when they lost comms on a previous mission. He says that they lost comms at 1000 feet down and had made the decision to abort and so dropped their weights / ballast. The comms then returned so they didn't abort and continued on down to the Titanic site.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...93a9e0f2e5745fd8a781a7&pinned_post_type=share

if so that doesn't make any sense at all - the ballast being dropped should put you in a slow ascent and you shouldn't be able to counteract that. Also if you have already jettisoned your ballast what do you do if you THEN have a problem? Every single journey seems to have involved a near miss where the skipper has ridden roughshod over basic safety rules!

Rooney24

Alternatively, it can also be increased if they're calm, limit physical activity and engage in breathing exercises etc. There's no real fixed number here really. There could be lesser or more than the officially stated hours. And of course, the morbid but unlikely scenario where they kill some passengers and have increased oxygen supply?!
Id guess the expense of oxygen used in the actual act of doing that wouldn't even produce a net gain anyway.

Grim to even think about it in any case.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Aha. So sound travels well through water but radio waves don’t? Could there not be some sort of special audio distress beacon? Seems like it would be a fairly cheap/simple device.
Yep.

The sonar system they use us also used to send text messages.