Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It's canny unlucky a "banging" sound was reported at all, gave everyone a sense of hope.
That was a narwhal with his new drum kit. You go to the land of the dead. You end up staying, all the legends say. I often wonder how instant is instant.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Shit way to go regardless of one's wealth but why has this story received so much publicity?
Maybe because of all the controversy surrounding the safety of that tincan to begin with? It was just a disaster waiting to happen and even after numerous safety issues people still went down to the depths of the ocean in that thing.
One engineer was just saying the hull is built with a special carbon fiber material which was deemed unreliable. It would weaken over time and more testing needed to happen. It was just pure negligence and it was already in the spotlight before this. This is just the "I told you so" finale to a big mistake.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't this always happen whenever there's a 'race against the clock' incident? This one, the flooded cave children, Suez blocked ship, covid cruise ship etc. They love milking these.

Come to think of it they're all water related.
Yeah it’s just the race against time aspect which interests people (myself included tbh).

In 2019 a 2-year old fell into an illegally excavated shaft near Malaga. Operation to rescue him took 13 days but they only found his dead body in the end, unfortunately. He even got his own Wiki page: Death of Julen Rosello.

Abraxas

People saying it's a crap way to go, but is it?

Gone before their natural time but doing something they desperately wanted to do and would likely have been instantaneous based on the evidence so far. I think most people will have a "worse" death than that through declining health.

TheLiverBird

What a horrible way to die.
Far from it, it couldn’t have been more instant

Woohoo we are going to literally see the real Titanic! Then boom! Your gone in a millisecond of a millisecond

They’d have known nothing about it.

Camilo

Great. That's also why they really shouldn't be mourned to any degree.

As someone said above, this is simply 'feck around, find out' with a poor, yet highly possible, outcome.
So people who live longer, safer lives should be mourned, but those who take risks and are adventurous shouldn't?

People really are bizarre..

buchansleftleg

In all seriousness IF it did implode, chances are that it was the window which wasn’t certified for that depth?
The window is a potential point of failure but the guy that they sacked also pointed out that they had issues with the resin that binds the carbon fibre together and how it joined the curved titanium bits.

It may prove difficult to find any evidence due to the violence of an implosion and that carbon fibre tends to shatter.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So people who live longer, safer lives should be mourned, but those who take risks and are adventurous shouldn't?

This wasn’t a run of the mill risk. Not all risks are equal.

If one can’t see the difference, one also could be classified as bizarre.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This wasn’t a run of the mill risk. Not all risks are equal.

If one can’t see the difference, one also could be classified as bizarre.
Watching Challenger explode and assuring everyone around me they pretty much had it coming.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watching Challenger explode and assuring everyone around me they pretty much had it coming.
The shuttle program had far less risks than the submersible. That was proven in the previous 24 launches (& the next 88). That was completely a tragedy.

Again, not all risks have the same factor associated with them.

mitChley

The shuttle program had far less risks than the submersible. That was proven in the previous 24 launches (& the next 88). That was completely a tragedy.

Again, not all risks have the same factor associated with them.
Plus those astronauts sacrificed their lives in the pursuit of science. These people died trying to gawp at a graveyard.

WPMUFC

Cameron said that other companies wrote to and informed this bloke to not even consider taking passengers and much further testing was needed.

I feel like we've barely scratched the surface of how much this company and CEO failed to take into account proper design and regulations because of their tech bro / libertarian BS mindset.

Whom would've thought you couldn't just wing sub design? Bloody idiot.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The recklessness doesn't really come in to it for me. If a poor person dies doing something needlessly dangerous I will likely mourn them. If a billionaire dies in a perfectly ordinary way I likely won't.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Adventurous usually results in an end that strives to do something for the greater good, or at least to benefit your community (often to the detriment of others, but that's an argument for another thread). This was a bunch of rich folk going down to see a wreck that took 1,500 souls.

I should note that I still think it's a tragedy.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Wasn’t there a mayday call in that first hour or so when it first went missing ?

RedDevilQuebecois

At the end of this, I say a few things must or should happen in no particular order.
  • OceanGate deserves to be crushed by lawsuits and then go bankrupt.
  • The site of the Titanic should be sealed off from any form of tourism or private exploration.
  • Only government-sanctioned expeditions with the appropriate submersibles should be allowed in the future.
Seriously, the resting place for 1,500 people at such depth should never be a place for tourists nor private companies to go nearby.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I won’t post it but OceanGate have a 2022 highlight package which plays dance music over footage it’s captured from the titanic.

The adventure was nothing but a grotesque libertarian nightmare but people shouldn’t die because of such stupidity.

stw2022

That's a fecking unlucky ship. It seems almost a farfetched horror script to be honest.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
At the end of this, I say a few things must or should happen in no particular order.
  • OceanGate deserves to be crushed by lawsuits and then go bankrupt.
  • The site of the Titanic should be sealed off from any form of tourism or private exploration.
  • Only government-sanctioned expeditions with the appropriate submersibles should be allowed in the future.
Seriously, the resting place for 1,500 people at such depth should never be a place for tourists nor private companies to go at.
Or… just send more Billionaires. We won’t miss them. Let them embrace the free market and pay £250k to go tomorrow instead of £1.5m to a company that dictates when you can go.

cyberman

Any father that would drag his terrified child on an death trap journey purely for their own niche interests is a scumbag.
The son probably put on a brave face for his father.
Don’t know why there’s a sudden rush to demonise the victims

ExoduS

Well, I just listened to a news segment about safety shortcomings of this vessel. This tragedy could have and should have been avoided. I feel so sad for the people who have died .