Titanic tourist submersible missing | Sub's debris found - crew "have been lost"

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Aha. So sound travels well through water but radio waves don’t? Could there not be some sort of special audio distress beacon? Seems like it would be a fairly cheap/simple device.
It's because radio waves are electro magnetic and their energy is absorbed by the water, conversely that's why they travel so well in a vacuum as there is nothing to absorb their energy but sound waves won't as they need particles to travel, so they do well in water but don't work in a vacuum.

Reactions: Wibble

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
But I'd prefer to start from Pogue's viewpoint and be proved wrong.
yes, but you also have to take into account his track record.

Agreed that it’s looking a bit circumspect, but Germany has been ravaged since WW1 and its people are desperate for change. He’s saying a lot of the right things and I’m looking forward to a peaceful decade. I think the 1940s will be when it all starts going right. And the trains are running on time.
Off to see Jethro tonight, a bright, young comedian with a big future ahead, methinks.
Not sure there are a lot of legs in this civil rights movement. I find racism has largely been blunted in the 50s.
I read that OLED tellies are by far the best for watching something like this. Better blacks, apparently.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Are Sky Sports News going to have a count down for this?

The Firestarter

It's because radio waves are electro magnetic and their energy is absorbed by the water, conversely that's why they travel so well in a vacuum as there is nothing to absorb their energy but sound waves won't as they need particles to travel, so they do well in water but don't work in a vacuum.
Just one addition here, not all radio waves are absorbed equally by water. Those with extremely low frequency (and correspindingly very long wavelength) are not absorbed and actually can reach typical depths of a submarine. For a transmission frequency of about 7 Hertz , the US had build a site with smth like 14 miles long antennas, the generated signal from those basically traveling around the planet. The submarines have long wires towed , to receive such transmissions.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just one addition here, not all radio waves are absorbed equally by water. Those with extremely low frequency (and correspindingly very long wavelength) are not absorbed and actually can reach typical depths of a submarine. For a transmission frequency of about 7 Hertz , the US had build a site with smth like 14 miles long antennas, the generated signal from those basically traveling around the planet. The submarines have long wires towed , to receive such transmissions.
I didn't want to get into VLF and ELF! But even those probably wouldn't get to the depths of the Titanic and then you have to factor in salinity as well.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
And importantly, the subs can only receive those transmissions. They can't send anything back.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Aye, Gary Cotterill will be there conducting interviews with the ship and submarine captains through the drivers windows.
Geoff Shreeves will be asking family members if they're aware what the consequences will be if time runs out.

The Firestarter

And importantly, the subs can only receive those transmissions. They can't send anything back.
Depends where is the receiver though. If its an aircraft flying above, towing an antenna wire, theoretically they can pick up sub generated transmission.

wr8_utd

:'(
A French research vessel carrying a deep-sea diving robot has slowed down as it reaches the search area for a missing submersible that was exploring the wreck of the Titanic, the Marine Traffic app showed.

Marine Traffic data showed the Atalante had slowed to a speed of six nautical knots and was located about 20 km to 30 km from the Polar Prince vessel which had carried the missing Titan submersible to waters above the Titanic wreck.

(Via Reuters)
Perhaps they have reason to believe this is an area it might be in?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If sound travels so well why don't subs have horns, bells or announcement speakers in case of emergency?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If I was in the sub I would simply open the window drink all of the water.

eggwithsideburns

I was thinking the same, howcome they don't have some kind of tracking or alarm system in place for times like this? I guess the technology isn't there?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Where are they doing their poo-poo and wee wee?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Where are they doing their poo-poo and wee wee?
From a video of the sub I saw, there's a small space over which you can draw a curtain and shit into what is essentially a bucket. I imagine that got unpleasant very quickly.

Revaulx

I'd agreed. Unless they are floating on the surface somewhere undetected then it would seem that even if they could extend their oxygen supplies a few hours, it is too late.

I work in Quality in a research environment and some of the wording from the company I'll be using for training courses in the future (once it isn't as fresh). Their talk of certification slowing down innovation etc, and then the outcome.
Well there’s no doubt that can (and does) happen unless the certification body is fiercely independent of vested interests.

Heinzesight

The Unthinkable Ship.

Horrific way to go. Would they have taken their phones down there with them? If they recover the submersible then perhaps they’ve documented what happened and lessons can be learned, but then again, maybe the lesson is don’t go to these depths in a shed.

buchansleftleg

If I was in the sub I would simply open the window drink all of the water.
I think the second the "window" was cracked open the air in the vessel would be compressed so fast it would ignite and then the pressure wave would turn you to jelly before the vessel imploded around your jellied remains. I'd just let the CO2 send me to sleep....it's the least messy way to go out.

If this timeline the beeb has put out is correct and they didn't contact coast Guard for nearly 8 hours then someone is getting sued for sure. That's criminal negligence!

Last edited:

Chief123

5 people. 4 days. That’s a lot of shit accumulated in that small bucket. Imagine the stench. :houllier:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
How soon until people start charging to go visit the wreck of this sub?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think the second the "window" was cracked open the air in the vessel would be compressed so fast it would ignite and then the pressure wave would turn you to jelly before the vessel imploded around your jellied remains. I'd just let the CO2 send me to sleep....it's the least messy way to go out.
I think you'll find I'm built different.