Title Race 22/23

croadyman

Fine margins. Don’t forget where we were this time last season. I’d have said you were crazy if you told me we would be where we are now. I’d love us to end up with 3 trophies this season, would be incredible. The league can wait for another year.
I could wait IF it wasn't Arsenal getting there first

InfiniteBoredom

Yeah two of those wins gifted by a combination of Martinez's head and cowardly referee
Villa scored 2 goals from 0.43 xG, and Chris Kavanaugh did fine today.

I know you have strong feelings about them winning the league, but that’s just bitterness talking. My Arsenal supporting friend is adamant that they should’ve had a couple of pens from the handball incidents and the high leg in the box. At the end of the day, the ref was right not to give them and he was right to give Arsenal that corner. No one forced Bournemouth to timewaste with an ‘injury’ and for their keeper to boot the ball straight out of play at the 95th minute.

croadyman

Villa scored 2 goals from 0.43 xG, and Chris Kavanaugh did fine today.

I know you have strong feelings about them winning the league, but that’s just bitterness talking. My Arsenal supporting friend is adamant that they should’ve had a couple of pens from the handball incidents and the high leg in the box. At the end of the day, the ref was right not to give them and he was right to give Arsenal that corner. No one forced Bournemouth to timewaste with an ‘injury’ and for their keeper to boot the ball straight out of play at the 95th minute.
Oh the stupidity of the Bournemouth keeper has really got me annoyed and Smith feigning injury too. Clearly neither saw the consequences when Martinez did it and just like them paid the price.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is what I'm referring to @giorno
I get it. It's because we start following the sport and grow attachments as kids, and even as we grow up we still see the sport through the same lens we used as kids pretty much. So a small club of our youth becoming huge, we struggle to accept that. Whereas a big club of our youth is supposed to stay big

Also tribalism. Deep down we never grew out of it, and sports are a relatively safe outlet for it

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
@Pele's blue pil I told you yeah, Arsenal are gonna win it. I'd be disappointed not to from this great position. To answer your question about the title lost vs City, I was in a depressed state for a few days
Fair enough, we all react differently, for me I decided when I was younger to place less value on what bunch of dudes who I have never met do. I don't mean that in a bad way just that it doesn't actually make a difference to my life. Though that aguero moment would definitely have hurt.

Btw, I think today showed why nothing is settled and why the bookies can't separate us by much. Two goals conceded at home to Bournemouth is beyond shocking.
We were 8 points ahead with 6 games to go.

They are now 5 ahead with 12 games to go.

Both had/have to go to the Emptyhad.

Ours was a great position, theirs? Good, but nowhere near as good. If they
lose it they will of course be disappointed, but won’t be nearly as soul-crushing. We handed that title to City.
Yeah there is literally a third of the season still to play. It's crazy to me that some people seem certain it's settled. Same people would probs be on here saying we bottled it if we hadn't won today.

Anyways having just had a little scroll through the match day thread I think I will avoid this place tomorrow and possibly altogether. As I said above I learnt that what happens in football doesn't actually change my life so to see some people react how they did to a team scoring a last minute goal so makes me sad for them. Wanting to throw a corrosive substance on someone, using rape cases as some kind of, well I don't know what some kind of...but seriously grown men behaving like this over a bunch of blokes they will never know really isn't for me.

Good luck with the game tomorrow, personally I just hope it's as entertaining as our game today.

croadyman

Sadly won't mean anything for title by time it comes round but at least in early April we get our chance to play 3 league games before Arsenal

foolsgold

If Arsenal were going to choke we'd have seen it by now, grinding out the results and 1 game a week whilst City are still in cup and CL. I think they'll take it out from here.

Dominos

If Arsenal were going to choke we'd have seen it by now, grinding out the results and 1 game a week whilst City are still in cup and CL. I think they'll take it out from here.
I don't see it as a matter of choking, rather they've still got 10 games left and they're likely going to drop enough points to give City the chance to overtake, it's just a matter of whether City take advantage. Arsenal have a run where they play 5 top half teams in the space of 7 games, with 4 away/3 home.

Liverpool A
West Ham A
Southampton H
City A
Chelsea H
Newcastle A
Brighton H

That's a bit of a nightmare run of fixtures, where they could plausibly drop points in 3 games, or maybe more. That would open up the possibility of City winning the league providing they win enough games.

Put it this way, if you guaranteed City win 10 out of their last 11, I think they'd be champions. That's a big ask though when they're still competing for 2 other competitions, and obviously they still have some tough games just like Arsenal do. I think Arsenal will see it out, they're very good at winning the games they're supposed to win.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
We’ve got a horrendous run of fixtures to come, but we’ve done everything we can to give ourselves a chance. I think if city win all their games theyll win it too, and they are capable, seem to be hitting top form now. It’s going to be very close. United getting to the cup final will help. Type of game city can’t just not get distracted by.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
City are already starting to get into their end of season overdrive where they seem unstoppable in the league. It really depends if Arsenal can maintain their form and avoid defeat at the Etihad.

Beating us at Anfield would be a decent boost considering their form against Klopp.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
City are already starting to get into their end of season overdrive where they seem unstoppable in the league. It really depends if Arsenal can maintain their form and avoid defeat at the Etihad.

Beating us at Anfield would be a decent boost considering their form against Klopp.
One game at a time…. If only Liverpool can do us a favour … it’ll be up there with beating spurs in the CL final.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We’ve got a horrendous run of fixtures to come, but we’ve done everything we can to give ourselves a chance. I think if city win all their games theyll win it too, and they are capable, seem to be hitting top form now. It’s going to be very close. United getting to the cup final will help. Type of game city can’t just not get distracted by.
Man. City were better last season and they still dropped points in the run in. Had that 2-2 at West Ham which let Liverpool back in and then they were very close to messing it up on the last day v us which would've been a regulation 3-0 win in any other part of the season.

I think Man. City will struggle away to Brighton if that's between CL ties so that could be a draw and Brentford away on final day won't be easy for them either.

It's all there for Arsenal to get to 91 points. Win four and draw one of their last 5 home games gets them to 82 points and then it's a case of three away wins. Actually fancy them to win at Anfield this season.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Man. City were better last season and they still dropped points in the run in. Had that 2-2 at West Ham which let Liverpool back in and then they were very close to messing it up on the last day v us which would've been a regulation 3-0 win in any other part of the season.

I think Man. City will struggle away to Brighton if that's between CL ties so that could be a draw and Brentford away on final day won't be easy for them either.

It's all there for Arsenal to get to 91 points. Win four and draw one of their last 5 home games gets them to 82 points and then it's a case of three away wins. Actually fancy them to win at Anfield this season.
91 points doesn’t guarantee the title, in this new Man City points machine age .

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
91 points doesn’t guarantee the title, in this new Man City points machine age .
I think Arteta said a few weeks back he was actually aiming for 90 points and think that would be good enough but not 100%.

I think Man. City will draw a couple of games in the run in just like they did last season. Two draws and they can only finish on 90 points and the GD is very close again.

If Arsenal don't lose at Etihad aswell that basically seals the deal imo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think Arteta said a few weeks back he was actually aiming for 90 points and think that would be good enough but not 100%.

I think Man. City will draw a couple of games in the run in just like they did last season. Two draws and they can only finish on 90 points and the GD is very close again.

If Arsenal don't lose at Etihad aswell that basically seals the deal imo.
The Arsenal v Liverpool game is the big one as far as City is concerned, they can't go into their head to head game with Arsenal with the points difference still being 5

Arsenal avoid defeat at Anfield and it's theirs

BorisManUtd

I find Arteta and some Arsenal fans annoying, but I'm not sure I want City to win it for the 3rd time in a row and have a chance for treble either.

Guy Incognito

I don't see City winning their remaining games.

Neither will Arsenal. Even if they won today the title race is far from over. Back-to-back draws will let City back in.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
City fixtures:

Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Fulham (A)
West Ham (H)
Leeds (H)
Everton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Brentford (A)

Arsenal fixtures:

West Ham (A)
Southampton (H)
City (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)
Brighton (H)
Forest (A)
Wolves (H)

City have the more straightforward fixture list but they need to be perfect, more or less.

That run of City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton for Arsenal will make or break them.

Irwin99

Brighton and Brentford are the only ones i'd fancy City to maybe drop points in. Arsenal have to be perfect from here on out.

Skills

Snitch
City seem to thrive in this scenario. They held off Liverpool twice, so that's what is scary. Guardiola also stops fecking around with his team and just focuses on trying to win

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Arsenal losing steam and being pipped on the pitch, only to be assigned the title in June… you heard it here first!

GregM40

Can’t see City dropping points now. I think Arsenal will drop against City and Newcastle.

I hope I’m wrong!

Rojofiam

City's fixture list is a bit easier, but I don't know why a lot of you are taking Arsenal's defeat at the Etihad for granted.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
City will win it, cant see arsenal beating Newcastle, City, Brighton and Chelsea

Remember the geese

City are very slight favourites after today. However, they have the distraction of the Champions League. Like Arsenal, they also have no room for error. They have to win at home to Arsenal. I don't think a point is enough. A few tricky ones for them too. Away to Everton, Brighton and Brentford.

ti vu

City's fixture list is a bit easier, but I don't know why a lot of you are taking Arsenal's defeat at the Etihad for granted.
Arsenal hasn't got a point away to Man City since Pep took over. Outside of 2 FA Cup semi final win, Arsenal hasn't won against Pep Man City.

Had they won this game against Liverpool at Anfield, they might have dismissed some negative off. However the manner of their bottlejob giving away 2 goal lead, and at Liverpool mercy in the second half, Arsenal just put pressure on themselves with these bad habit/record.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
City are a level above Arsenal.

In Emirates against City, Arsenal were blown away just like today.

They are still a young team.

In Etihad Arsenal won't get so many lifelines like today, they will be blown away if they play an open game. City will press them to oblivion like they did in Emirates.

Arteta has to force a draw in that game through tactics.

But now it's in City's hands.

Etihad game is a 6 pointer. Must win for City.