Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillosophy

I honestly have no opinion on this guy. We need a ball playing CB so, if he's good at that, then cool, but I'd much prefer Maguire.

I do think a ball playing CB will help our football. It'll give us more composure at the back when being pressed allowing us to play out from the back and hit them on the break with them having committed players to the high press instead of hoofing it aimlessly, it'll help us build-up quicker instead of passing sideways and dilly-dallying on the halfway line, t'll give more space to our CMs who come deep as the opposition will have to press our ball playing CB more instead of letting them have the ball as, with our other CBs, they know that they'll most likely do nothing with it, etc.

I think Maguire is better than Smalling but I don't think Smalling is bad aerially - that's one of his biggest strengths. Probably his biggest, really. I actually think they'd make an alright partnership like Blind formed with him. Though, and I may be wrong on this, Smalling made a lot of substitute appearances at the end of games when we were shutting up shop, right? That probably contributed to his high stats in that regard. Still, I can't say I'm surprised. As highly as I rate Maguire aerially Smalling himself is very good, too.
Maguire isnt really a ball-playing CB though? I mean hes better then our current shite but still Alderweireld has got a better pass on him from what I've seen.

Woodenlung

If the choice is between Alderweireld, Maguire and Boeteng then Toby wins out by miles. Far better injury record than Boeteng and a far better player than Maguire.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire isnt really a ball-playing CB though? I mean hes better then our current shite but still Alderweireld has got a better pass on him from what I've seen.
I'd certainly have him down as one. He can shield the ball well from pressing players, can play some nice balls between the lines, have seen him hit some lovely cross field balls, can carry the ball forwards, dribbling past opposition players. I think he's a really good one personally.

Dunno if I'd say he's better than Toby because, like I said, I don't have an opinion on him (never noticed him when watching Spurs) but I think he's good enough for us.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Seriously? Just look at Jose’s defensive record over the years and let’s have that conversation again :)

Carvalho played 7 seasons at Chelsea, he also inherited Terry and the rest were brought as backup for less than 10m each. Paulo Fereira was also pretty useful signing, not to mention Ashley Cole and Belletti for 3-4m was it?

Next is Lucio who was absolute rock and vital for Inter in that treble year.

Zouma is the only "high profile" signing you can call it a failure over the years. You can't seriously compare Toby type of signing to bringing up some odd backup at 2-3m. It's like saying Fergie had a poor transfer record due to bringing guys like Dong and Ljajic, Tosic, etc..

I'll stick to central defenders as that was your original argument....

Carvalho who I always had down as a reluctant taxi driver more than a footballer was a great signing for Chelsea, no denying that, but it's not as though you can give Mourinho any credit for signing him as he'd been his player at Porto for years previously and nobody else would've been prepared to spend the near £20m Chelsea paid for a 28/29 year old who had never played outside Portugal before.

There's still time for Zouma yet, but Chelsea unlike a few clubs, United included, could see past the fact the guy had a charge for battering his 15 year old girlfriend hanging over him when he was available and walked away from any possible deal, and rightly so, but we'll hear a lot more of him over the next few years of that I have no doubt.

Classical Mechanic

I'd certainly have him down as one. He can shield the ball well from pressing players, can play some nice balls between the lines, have seen him hit some lovely cross field balls, can carry the ball forwards, dribbling past opposition players. I think he's a really good one personally.

Dunno if I'd say he's better than Toby because, like I said, I don't have an opinion on him (never noticed him when watching Spurs) but I think he's good enough for us.
That’s my concern with Toby. I’ve just never noticed him. Worried that Soton and Spurs systems flattered defenders. Spurs replaced him easily with Sanchez last year.

James Peril

That’s my concern with Toby. I’ve just never noticed him. Worried that Soton and Spurs systems flattered defenders. Spurs replaced him easily with Sanchez last year.
They dropped down in the table and let in ten goals more in the league compared to the season before when he was playing. Sanchez is nowhere near his level, he is big, strong and fast - but not a smart defender at all.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They dropped down in the table and let in ten goals more in the league compared to the season before when he was playing. Sanchez is nowhere near his level, he is big, strong and fast - but not a smart defender at all.
We lost both our starting fullbacks (and most of the pace in our backline without Rose and Walker) as well as Wanyama for most of the season.

The fact Spurs defence did not completely crater is kind of remarkable.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll stick to central defenders as that was your original argument....

Carvalho who I always had down as a reluctant taxi driver more than a footballer was a great signing for Chelsea, no denying that, but it's not as though you can give Mourinho any credit for signing him as he'd been his player at Porto for years previously and nobody else would've been prepared to spend the near £20m Chelsea paid for a 28/29 year old who had never played outside Portugal before.

There's still time for Zouma yet, but Chelsea unlike a few clubs, United included, could see past the fact the guy had a charge for battering his 15 year old girlfriend hanging over him when he was available and walked away from any possible deal, and rightly so, but we'll hear a lot more of him over the next few years of that I have no doubt.
Ok, let's stick to CB's. He recalled Jorge Costa from loan at Porto - a key member in the CL campaign, EL campaign as well as the two league titles.

Formed a great pair along with Carvalho at Porto, then he took him at Chelsea(regardless of you want to give him credit or not that was a masterstroke considering how good the Chelsea defence was at the time).

At Chelsea he made Terry captain and along with Carvalho formed the CB pair with years to come.

Up until he was sacked he only brought Alex as a CB (Boulahrouz was used as a RB) and he didn't even buy him as he returned from loan.

At Inter he only bought Lucio - and yes he was great that season.

At Real he brought in Carvalho for 8m EUR - by no means failure - they had the best defence in CL and bettered their defensive record in the league as well compared to the previous year under Pellegrini.

Next year he bought Varane for 10m EUR - another coup.

In his last Real year he promoted Nacho.

In his second stint at Chelsea he bought Zouma in the winter and Djilobodji next season for 2.7m pounds, later sold him for 8m pounds to Sunderland a year later, tripling his value.

At United he bought Lindelof and Bailly.

So please do tell us how his CB record isn't close to perfect?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Ok, let's stick to CB's. He recalled Jorge Costa from loan at Porto - a key member in the CL campaign, EL campaign as well as the two league titles.

Formed a great pair along with Carvalho at Porto, then he took him at Chelsea(regardless of you want to give him credit or not that was a masterstroke considering how good the Chelsea defence was at the time).

At Chelsea he made Terry captain and along with Carvalho formed the CB pair with years to come.

Up until he was sacked he only brought Alex as a CB (Boulahrouz was used as a RB) and he didn't even buy him as he returned from loan.

At Real he brought in Carvalho for 8m EUR - by no means failure - they had the best defence in CL and bettered their defensive record in the league as well compared to the previous year under Pellegrini.

In his second stint at Chelsea he bought Zouma in the winter and Djilobodji next season for 2.7m pounds, later sold him for 8m pounds to Sunderland a year later, tripling his value.

OK

Revan

Assumptionman
Ekeke always does this with stats.
Kind of amazing the time he has spent on this forum trying to convince people that painfully average Smalling is the greatest human being and Ever fecking Banega is some magnificent midfielder.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Didn't he sign Ben Haim?

Ventura

Even if we got only two top draw seasons out of him that would be good. Anything that helps bridge the gap on city can only be viewed as good, even if it is short term.

I’d rather have a 29 year old Rolls Royce than a brand new Kia (sorry to any Kia owners out there ;)). Couldn’t think of another analogy.

Point being he is class regardless of his age.
Then you're in for a very problematic and expensive car ownership. You think some footballers are injury prone? You're in for a shock then with your old Rolls. You'll be constantly tinkering and repairing it. Meanwhile, the brand new Kia will run and run every day, and with better performance than the Rolls too. One of the worst analogies ever :D

Name Changed

weso26
Alderweireld would be a massive improvement on what we have. I'd take him in a heartbeat .

Harry Maguire? I don't see much of an improvement if any over what we have already.

Kidders

I said at the start of the transfer window that we always turn our transfer business into a drama, I got shot down and reminded that we had a few weeks to go, well we are down to a few days now and it's certainly going to be a drama, if Alderweireld wants to join, and we want him, just f...g sign him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Then you're in for a very problematic and expensive car ownership. You think some footballers are injury prone? You're in for a shock then with your old Rolls. You'll be constantly tinkering and repairing it. Meanwhile, the brand new Kia will run and run every day, and with better performance than the Rolls too. One of the worst analogies ever :D
I'd still rather have the Rolls.

Yidarmy

Supports
Tottenham
I said at the start of the transfer window that we always turn our transfer business into a drama, I got shot down and reminded that we had a few weeks to go, well we are down to a few days now and it's certainly going to be a drama, if Alderweireld wants to join, and we want him, just f...g sign him.

Won't happen unless Martial is part of the deal. Your manager is doing you no good moaning in the press everyday as this just strengthens Levy hand in the deal as your options are becoming less and less.

Both players want to leave their clubs so its in your court, name your price for Martial and we will tell you what we want for Toby. I would imagine it will involve us paying you £10m ish.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Won't happen unless Martial is part of the deal. Your manager is doing you no good moaning in the press everyday as this just strengthens Levy hand in the deal as your options are becoming less and less.

Both players want to leave their clubs so its in your court, name your price for Martial and we will tell you what we want for Toby. I would imagine it will involve us paying you £10m ish.
We don't have any obligation to sell Martial for 25m Euros next season, whereas you've for Toby. Besides, the time has passed for Martial to be included in this deal. I guess it'll be around 50m for Toby and the deal will be done.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think there was only one Rolls Royce type of centre back linked to us and that was Bonucci. Alderweireld is not quite that level, especially distribution wise, but he's by far the best of the rest linked.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
He couldn't get back in to the Spurs team when fit. Did anyone else think he was pretty Shiite at the world cup? I actually don't want us to buy a CB, more concerning positions like full back and RIGHT WING

Kidders

I would'nt do a deal to swap Alderweireld for Martial as I'm not obsessed with getting a new CB, my point is, IF united wanted Toby then why leave it so late ? The situation is no different now than it was 5 weeks ago.

Murray3007

prob because the highlighted players here are well not top class, he plays defensive so will usually have a better defence record then most teams. surely not hard to understand that, also was Zidane that got the Varane deal over the line, so surely no one can give Jose the credit for that deal.

TheReligion

Abusive
He couldn't get back in to the Spurs team when fit. Did anyone else think he was pretty Shiite at the world cup? I actually don't want us to buy a CB, more concerning positions like full back and RIGHT WING
Widely regarded as having a solid world cup and was dropped by Spurs due to them preparing for life without him

TheReligion

Abusive

Dream on

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Widely regarded as having a solid world cup and was dropped by Spurs due to them preparing for life without him
From the games I watched at the world cup, he looked like he was running with the hand brake still on. Cart horse and caught out plenty. Would be happy to eat my words and for him to come and make an impact but not too optimistic about either signing him or him performing well if he does come

Murray3007

out of the 4 we are linked with he would be the best, he the best leader out the 4 and the best out and out defender, organises as well. injury record is the only concern, we should just offer £50m and see what they say if its not to be we move on.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Two points

1) Him not getting back into Spurs team had nothing to do with his quality. Pochettino has previous in doing this to players who want to move on. See Walker in the 16/17 season.
2) Toby was good at the WC. Not sure if you had even seen the WC, if you had come to the conclusion that he was shite.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Two points

1) Him not getting back into Spurs team had nothing to do with his quality. Pochettino has previous in doing this to players who want to move on. See Walker in the 16/17 season.
2) Toby was good at the WC. Not sure if you had even seen the WC, if you had come to the conclusion that he was shite.
Watched plenty to make a judgement. Belgium had plenty of the ball and when they were countered a few times he looked like a slug. I can understand not getting into the Spurs team a little more as they had Sanchez in and Vertonghen was brilliant. Look I would love to be proved wrong.... just not feeling it

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Two points

I'm surprised too.

He had a good world cup.

RedNed77

Come on mate. Half of those are youngsters. Toby is a high profile defender not Alcides. Also you have missed Porto’s.
I probably picked the wrong thread for this argument. If you look at the list, when he has signed known quantities such as Carvalho & Lucio they've worked out well, we all know Toby would be a decent centre half for us. Its the potential Mina signing which would worry me.

He also didn't sign any centre halves at Porto, just worked with what was already there.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

Not gonna happen - Spurs are in no position to be spending any money until they clear out all their deadwood (Llorente, Rose, etc.) - and the clock is ticking.

You're are having a shocker of a window.

cyberman

I don't understand this. Martial is not for sale. Demanding a player that's not for sale to be part of a deal for a defender who you wouldn't mind selling does not work.

Enigma_87

You know who
I probably picked the wrong thread for this argument. If you look at the list, when he has signed known quantities such as Carvalho & Lucio they've worked out well, we all know Toby would be a decent centre half for us. Its the potential Mina signing which would worry me.

He also didn't sign any centre halves at Porto, just worked with what was already there.
Well yea, he also recalled Costa tho and used him well. Think Jose is pretty good at spotting or buying the CB he needs.

Agreed on both accounts. Toby IMO would be class for us, but not so Mina.

Status
Not open for further replies.