Tonight's MNF (City demolition)...

iHicksy

That really is eye opening to how smart LvG truely is. It also highlights how disciplined Rooney has become under Van Gaal. There was something beautiful about watching our defence suddenly pushing up as a unit soon as the ball went back to kompany every time.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That really is eye opening to how smart LvG truely is. It also highlights how disciplined Rooney has become under Van Gaal. There was something beautiful about watching our defence suddenly pushing up as a unit soon as the ball went back to kompany every time.
Yep. It looks really good when done in unison. They also dropped off again simultaneously. Good stuff.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Took two major things away from this:

1) Rooney did a lot more than we realised/noticed yesterday.

2) Can't see Rafael replacing Valencia as long as LVG is boss because I don't think he has that sort of capacity to be well drilled and disciplined. Not to say he isn't a more talented defender and attacker than Valencia, but it seems as though Valencia fits our defensive unit better.

Raptori

Special needs
Took two major things away from this:

1) Rooney did a lot more than we realised/noticed yesterday.

2) Can't see Rafael replacing Valencia as long as LVG is boss because I don't think he has that sort of capacity to be well drilled and disciplined. Not to say he isn't a more talented defender and attacker than Valencia, but it seems as though Valencia fits our defensive unit better.
Re: 2, I would agree, but then I'd have also agreed if you had said the same exact thing about Rooney. Sadly it seems that he's not learning it yet, or not learning it fast enough, but that doesn't mean it categorically isn't something he could get into his head eventually. I do think it's fairly unlikely that he'll get it fast enough to save his place at the club though, which is a big shame.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Re: 2, I would agree, but then I'd have also agreed if you had said the same exact thing about Rooney. Sadly it seems that he's not learning it yet, or not learning it fast enough, but that doesn't mean it categorically isn't something he could get into his head eventually. I do think it's fairly unlikely that he'll get it fast enough to save his place at the club though, which is a big shame.
Or he might have figured it out but van Gaal doesn't want to take any chances in this run of games. I can't say I blame him for that.

OneUnited24

Or he might have figured it out but van Gaal doesn't want to take any chances in this run of games. I can't say I blame him for that.
Agreed.

Herrera spent a long time out of the squad and it did wonders for him.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Sorry about that. Not sure what's the problem. Are you on Windows? If so, try Internet Explorer too, works there for me as well.
I tried every browser but didn't help. Now I've turned off my wifi and opened it with my phone's data and player is loading now. Weird.

Raptori

Special needs
Yeah, true. If it is the same situation as with Herrera as @OneUnited24 mentioned, then that could save us a lot of trouble buying a RB this summer.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This Rooney display came in the arguably our best game this season when RVP displays were in the games when we were shit. It is no use if the striker makes space when there is nobody to take advantage of it.
Which is why it's not surprising that LVG likes RVP. Throughout the early part of the season, when RVP was favoured, he was making all those kinds of runs. The reason it didn't work that well is that all the other players around him weren't playing to the same tune, imo.
That's what I felt watching Gary's analysis as well. Maybe we wouldn't do too bad having RVP back then now...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great analysis from Neville and Carragher. Yesterday when looking at the team, just right before the kick-off I've noticed this incredibly high-line too, was fun to watch them recover the ball just a couple of seconds later.

Somehow it all links to the 'when was the last time we've had such a good run' thread. Last time we've had it around November or December, can't remember, but I know that you had this feeling that there was a lot of luck involved, that sooner or later it would run out and it did. Now, I don't really have that feeling. Obviously we're up against Chelsea and I agree with their assessment regarding Zouma and how they'll try to nulify Fellaini's threat so the run could as well end at SB but I believe that LVG's got something up his sleeve too, after all he was Mourinho's mentor.

Point about Rooney was fantastic too, didn't really notice that during the game, I think like the most guys here I thought that he was simply rather shit, uninvolved, not very Rooney-esque performance in terms of picking it up from midfield and being all over the pitch but now you can see why. Fair play to him and LVG for completly outplaying City not only by our players showing more desire to win every single ball, not only by using OT as our 12th player because the atmosphere was rocking but first and foremost by absolutely shutting City down tactically.

saivet

Does it get repeated on Sky / is it available on their catch-up?
I think it gets repeated, though late at night. I remember watching it after I went to a game and it started at like 1am. I don't think it's available on their catch up though.

Sir A1ex

I think it gets repeated, though late at night. I remember watching it after I went to a game and it started at like 1am. I don't think it's available on their catch up though.
Just had a look and there is "MNF Highlights" at 1.30am. It's shorter than the live show though, so don't know if it has the Sunday analysis?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The point about Rooney is interesting because yes his off the ball work was good, and obviously to the instructions that Van Gaal would've given. However what about on the ball. Yes he assisted Mata but most people came away from the ground not thinking much of Rooneys performance for a reason imo. Making the right runs and occupying the right spaces is fantastic but should they come at the expense of basic ball control and quality in the final third?

Like someone already said, RVP is capable of following those same instructions but with better build up play and ball control, in my opinion at least. It's not as if you have to have serious pace or mobility to do what Rooney did that Nev and Carra highlighted, just your average footballers ability to run and a functioning brain.

What is funny to me is that I think RVP and Falcao could probably carry out those same instructions. Rooney maybe got a bit lucky that he was the one fit when the system came about. It's no secret that RVP and Falcao have always been better lone strikers than when they have a partner, better even than Rooney historically.

Anyway, I don't want this to sound negative, just an interesting thought I think.

saivet

Just had a look and there is "MNF Highlights at 1.30am. It's shorter than the live show though, so don't know if it has the Sunday analysis?
I think it has all the analysis but extended highlights rather than the full match.

Trizy

Brilliant analyses as usual by Gary. Didn't realize how good Rooney's game was until watching it.

Sir A1ex

Trizy

Was that basically covering this?: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...an-utds-silent-dominator-under-louis-van-gaal

Interesting that it was his fewest touches in a United match... combined with the fact that he ran further than any player on the pitch other than Herrera, it backs up Gary's point well.

That's exactly what he was doing but with the touch screen tv and highlights, very interesting piece by Gary.

They're now talking about United's pressing, our high line and our well compacted defensive unit. Really sheds light on what LVG has achieved and very exciting for fans.

saivet

That's exactly what he was doing but with the touch screen tv and highlights, very interesting piece by Gary.

They're now talking about United's pressing, our high line and our well compacted defensive unit. Really sheds light on what LVG has achieved and very exciting for fans.
They're talking about United after the Liverpool game too?

Will have to watch that when it finishes

Kant-ona

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

It must be great for Rooney to watch this piece of television. And maybe Gary Neville is the first guy who really was able to explain what this "Philosophy" is about.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Great analysis from Neville and Carragher. Yesterday when looking at the team, just right before the kick-off I've noticed this incredibly high-line too, was fun to watch them recover the ball just a couple of seconds later.

Somehow it all links to the 'when was the last time we've had such a good run' thread. Last time we've had it around November or December, can't remember, but I know that you had this feeling that there was a lot of luck involved, that sooner or later it would run out and it did. Now, I don't really have that feeling. Obviously we're up against Chelsea and I agree with their assessment regarding Zouma and how they'll try to nulify Fellaini's threat so the run could as well end at SB but I believe that LVG's got something up his sleeve too, after all he was Mourinho's mentor.

Point about Rooney was fantastic too, didn't really notice that during the game, I think like the most guys here I thought that he was simply rather shit, uninvolved, not very Rooney-esque performance in terms of picking it up from midfield and being all over the pitch but now you can see why. Fair play to him and LVG for completly outplaying City not only by our players showing more desire to win every single ball, not only by using OT as our 12th player because the atmosphere was rocking but first and foremost by absolutely shutting City down tactically.
I think a big part of yesterday's great performance was the intensity and "relentlessness" of our movement. I know it's a cliche but I feel as though desire and passion propelled this (as well as tactics obviously, but the fact it was a derby meant that it was carried out non-stop for the 90 minutes).

Macern

Pee pee pants
Is this the analysis after the United-City game? The link posted in the previous page is for todays game, or am I doing something wrong?

Shyftyy

Is this the analysis after the United-City game? The link posted in the previous page is for todays game, or am I doing something wrong?
Preview first and then around 17:00 minutes the analysis starts

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think it's more how he doesn't actually understand FFP and how it works. Either that or he just wants to be controversial.
It's not difficult to understand FFP so if he doesn't he should asap.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's not difficult to understand FFP so if he doesn't he should asap.
He was going on about how sad it would be if City return to being a non-competitor like the days they were in the 2nd and 3rd division because of FFP. He doesn't seem to realise that Man City are bringing a massive amount in their revenues (close to United now) and can spend a lot of money.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Thought that was one of the most interesting MNFs I've seen. It got me thinking about a few other topics that are popular on the caf at the minute:

- If we are in for Hummels, his lack of pace won't be a problem in a high line defence that's so well organised. Watching the whole team move up and down in time during Carragher's defensive analysis was mesmerising. Fantastic organisation.
- Rafael may just have taken longer to get used to this system than most and could be waiting in the wings like Herrera did. Alternatively perhaps he just can't get it, but like Neville was saying about the way LVG has tamed Rooney, I'd be surprised if he can't do the same with Rafael. Rooney must be harder to tame from his gut insticts, surely.
- RVP won't be sold and will actually work very well in this system as the sole striker when given the chance. I've thought this all season, but this just reaffirms it for me. The sole striker in this system is a very selfless, unappreciated role.

C'est Moi Cantona

Wonderful analysis by them both, finally I understand what's going on.

Just hope they haven't given too much away to our future opponents, much as Mourinho would have already understood it, I doubt Martinez would have had a clue.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He was going on about how sad it would be if City return to being a non-competitor like the days they were in the 2nd and 3rd division because of FFP. He doesn't seem to realise that Man City are bringing a massive amount in their revenues (close to United now) and can spend a lot of money.
Admittedly I hadn't seen what he said but he really shouldn't come across clueless on the matter.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Wonderful analysis by them both, finally I understand what's going on.

Just hope they haven't given too much away to our future opponents, much as Mourinho would have already understood it, I doubt Martinez would have had a clue.
Understanding it is one thing. Stopping it is another :devil:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Watching Smalling haul that line up every time there was a negative pass was brilliant. Every time we step up with that pace it cut 3-4 players out of the game and restricted almost all dangerous passing avenues, superb.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The point about Rooney is interesting because yes his off the ball work was good, and obviously to the instructions that Van Gaal would've given. However what about on the ball. Yes he assisted Mata but most people came away from the ground not thinking much of Rooneys performance for a reason imo. Making the right runs and occupying the right spaces is fantastic but should they come at the expense of basic ball control and quality in the final third?

Like someone already said, RVP is capable of following those same instructions but with better build up play and ball control, in my opinion at least. It's not as if you have to have serious pace or mobility to do what Rooney did that Nev and Carra highlighted, just your average footballers ability to run and a functioning brain.

What is funny to me is that I think RVP and Falcao could probably carry out those same instructions. Rooney maybe got a bit lucky that he was the one fit when the system came about. It's no secret that RVP and Falcao have always been better lone strikers than when they have a partner, better even than Rooney historically.

Anyway, I don't want this to sound negative, just an interesting thought I think.
RvP can do what Rooney did yesterday as good as him. Only difference is that when you face Rooney, you have to stay close to him for the whole game. When you’re facing van Persie the marking doesn’t have to be so tight because he won’t beat you on pace. That’s the only difference IMO. Van Persie lack of pace is a big minus, but on the other hand his technique is better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just go on the footballhighlights subreddit on reddit, they always post highlights, full matches, shows and things like that from every game pretty much. Goes up very quickly as well.