Top 4 race 2016/17

Ainu

We're not a Champions League level team, we're right where we belong. The most expensive Europa League team in history. I don't see us getting top 4, the other contenders are far superior.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
We're going to finish 6th or 7th aren't we? fecking hell, we are absolutely shit.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's another battle for top 4 and I'm not convinced we'll make it.

We've got so many problems and our 'progress' from last season is minimal.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The Europa League is our best chance of Champions League football next season, but we're not really good enough to expect to win that TBH.

As @Ainu says, we are at the level we deserve to be at.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Continuously signing mediore dross will do that to any team. Even if we had Guardiola plus Mourinho and Ancelotti as assistants the results will be the same.

We're a 6th - 7th place team.

Gatti33

It's another battle for top 4 and I'm not convinced we'll make it.

We've got so many problems and our 'progress' from last season is minimal.
Not only that but there are 5 teams who are hands down better than us.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I wonder what percentage of United player's wages are contigent on them making top 4. I doubt it's very high at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal's wages are heavily skewed on making top 4. When we've put in abslutely shocking starts to the season we've gone on to put in title winning form to make the top 4.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I wonder what percentage of United player's wages are contigent on them making top 4. I doubt it's very high at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal's wages are heavily skewed on making top 4. When we've put in abslutely shocking starts to the season we've gone on to put in title winning form to make the top 4.
Wenger might be on a similar sort of deal. No top four means he's gone, but never any pressure to actually win the league?

WyoManU

We still look about a 7th place team, like we have since SAF left. Maybe next year with yet another new manager spending a fortune on new players can get us to 6th!!

Ace

Moving in the opposite direction -- We really can't compete with the top teams in the league.

Sparky10Legend

We.are.shit.

Highest wage bill, highest net spend in last 3 years, yet we are utter utter shit.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Best chance by far is fluking the Europea League. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, City and Pool are absolutely miles better than us.

Raw

Yeah, no fecking chance. Spend a fortune and still miles away from a title, so humiliating.

AndyJ1985

Unless something significantly changes we can kiss goodbye to the CL for another season. Can't believe I'm having to say that again. It's so far from being acceptable that we once again look a fecking shambles of a team.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Too early. Let's see where we are in December

DevilRed

This early run of form reminds me of when moyes first took over. Just a consecutive array of difficult fixtures right at the start of the season.

Not helped that we had a terrible preseason too.

No excuses, but we havent even found our best eleven let alone actually coming together with a good formation.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Isn't it way too early to say we are out of top 4?! Get a grip! Still have 29 more games to go and like what Jose said, this league is so competitive and unpredictable. One or two weeks of results and everything changes again. We are just unfortunate that we have such a tough run of fixtures this month.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We ll finish 6th or 7th.

City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool

And then Spurs Everton and United

We felt so deep

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Isn't it way too early to say we are out of top 4?! Get a grip! Still have 29 more games to go and like what Jose said, this league is so competitive and unpredictable. One or two weeks of results and everything changes again. We are just unfortunate that we have such a tough run of fixtures this month.
Unfortunate? As tough as anyone else since the start of the season.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Wenger might be on a similar sort of deal. No top four means he's gone, but never any pressure to actually win the league?
To an extent that's true, financially we could only handle about 2 none Champion's League seasons after the Emirates was built through to about a couple of years ago.

The thing is nearly every big club manager's remit is to deliver CL football or lose their job, see Rodgers, Daglish, Moyes, LVG, AVB, Redknap etc etc. If you're at a big club and don't deliver CL football you won't be there too long. Mourinho needs top 4 by season 2 or it's unlikely he'll get a shot at a third season.

SER19

The only positive is that after a frankly horrific run of form, we are still only 6 Pts off the pace

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The league table doesn't look so bad actually, we're not that far off the pace. A run of wins and we'll be right in the mix. Whether we're capable of that is an entirely different matter.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let's just wait and see before we panic as it's not gonna help at all.

redNATION

The league table doesn't look so bad actually, we're not that far off the pace. A run of wins and we'll be right in the mix. Whether we're capable of that is an entirely different matter.
I remember under Moyes it wasnt so bad intiially, we kept the pace, then we tapered off horifically. Im concerned the same might happen here unless Mou really gets a grip and goes for wins instead of draws. Good thing is we've got two really hard away games out of the way. A run is needed now more than ever, at any stage in the last few seasons.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
With the respective fixtures coming up we have a chance to close the gap, but as you say whether we're capable of going on a run is a different story. In the next four games Liverpool has the easiest run on paper followed by City, United, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea then Spurs.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
City, Arsenal and Liverpool seem to be nailed on to get a top four spot.

The race for the fourth, given how things stand - would be between Spurs, Chelsea and United.
Today was a horrible game to lose. I hope we manage to nick points off Spurs, at least.

AXVnee7

Top 4 race is still wide open yet. I'm not sure about our title chances now. Although mathematically it's open as ever, we haven't capitalised on teams around dropping points and we will suffer more set backs along the course of the season.

It's of the utmost importance though that we keep up pace in the Europa League. It could very well be our saving grace this season, and we may find it a better option to abandon the league in favour of this route into the CL.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
I reckon we will make a late surge for top 4 towards March - April, similar to Van Gaal's first season where we had a winning run during the last couple of games.

buckooo1978

So far this season City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea have been better than us to varying degrees

Something has to change for us....Jose has to find a way of creating a more motivated balanced side and im not confident we will win more games than any of the teams I mentioned