g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Top 4 race 2016/17

AXVnee7

If we don't make top 4 does Jose get sacked?
Don't think it's as straightforward at that this time. From Moyes we saw an upgrade in LVG. From LVG we got Jose. Where do we go from here?

We can only go to a manager with an inferior CV, unless someone incredible becomes available (unlikely as the best are currently taken).

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
The worst part about our defeat today is that our goal difference also took a hit. Our upcoming fixtures look winnable though. We will win the next 4 games and all is back to normal again.

Man Utd vs Burnley Oct 29
Swansea vs Man Utd Nov 6
Man Utd vs Arsenal Nov 19
Man Utd vs West Ham Nov 27

I'm confident we can win our next 4 games. Let's see where our positions stands by then, before going into melt-down now and saying we can't make top 4. It's only Oct ffs!

SammyUnited_83

Don't think it's as straightforward at that this time. From Moyes we saw an upgrade in LVG. From LVG we got Jose. Where do we go from here?

We can only go to a manager with an inferior CV, unless someone incredible becomes available (unlikely as the best are currently taken).
We have set a precedent though. Also I think missing out on Champs League effects sponsor money for next season.

The money we have spent he is under enormous pressure, Europa League could become huge.

SammyUnited_83

The worst part about our defeat today is that our goal difference also took a hit. Our upcoming fixtures look winnable though. We will win the next 4 games and all is back to normal again.

Swansea vs Man Utd Nov 6

I'm confident we can win our next 4 games. Let's see where our positions stands by then, before going into melt-down now and saying we can't make top 4. It's only Oct ffs!
Beat Arsenal.

With our shit defence they will rip us to shreds.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit

That seems unfair to Moyes and LVG imo as they both got sacked after it was mathematically confirmed we couldn't get into top 4. I wonder if Mou has a clause in his contract which has top 4 in it. I think he would be given the full 3 year term anyway as we don't really have any realistic options right now unless a better manager is available.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Swansea vs Man Utd Nov 6

We won't those 4 matches, I would like to share your optimism, specially regarding the Arsenal match.

AXVnee7

We have set a precedent though. Also I think missing out on Champs League effects sponsor money for next season.

The money we have spent he is under enormous pressure, Europa League could become huge.
That seems unfair to Moyes and LVG imo as they both got sacked after it was mathematically confirmed we couldn't get into top 4. I wonder if Mou has a clause in his contract which has top 4 in it. I think he would be given the full 3 year term anyway as we don't really have any realistic options right now unless a better manager is available.
Well if we do sack Mourinho based on not getting top 4, then we will have change what we look for in our next manager. We shouldn't simply look at their CV and say yeah this guy is most likely to give us the best chance of success.

We'd have to change our approach and maybe look at getting someone who fits the ideals of our club instead. However I don't think Ed would be willing to do this, as Jose is supposed to be the safe option in terms of guaranteed success.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Swansea vs Man Utd Nov 6

If we get 10 points from the next four, it's a miracle. I'm guessing two wins, a draw, and a loss which is pretty much on par with where we're at in terms of quality at the moment.

Top four will be huge struggle, and I'll be ecstatic if we pull it off.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I give up on football. There is not a single football club in the world with our bad luck.

Funny thing they actually mentioned a curse in the PL studio now. I am an atheist but this shit is nearly turning me into a believer.

AXVnee7

Don't get too down on top 4 yet. We still have Europa League.

WyoManU

I've been saying since Moyes took over...we are a 7th place side. Nothing we have done has made me think otherwise. We still have a lot of average players. You can't blame the owners as they have opened the checkbook. Most of our buys over the last couple of seasons have not worked out. We need to start buying the right players.

MoskvaRed

No reliable goalscorer = no top 4. The sad thing is we have two of the world's highest earning forwards on our books. Once Martial is ready again, we need to pin our hopes on him or else it will certainly be 3 years out of 4 without Chanpions League.

Giggs86

We aren't making top 4, are we?

Sigh.. better start taking the EL seriously.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We aren't making top 4, but we really should be winning the Europa League so that looks our main route to get into the CL. We don't have the consistency for the top 4 with Liverpool, Arsenal, City all being consistent and great going forward, and then Chelsea and Spurs probably going to be more consistent then us as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We had the easiest game of any of our rivals this weekend yet even if we'd have won we'd have only gained ground on Spurs today who had a far more difficult game than us. Shows how far top 4 is away now.

SwansonsTache

All this talk about a striker, we don't need a striker, we have Martial and Rashford for that spot. What we need is wide players so Lingard never sees a game on our flank again, and Rashford and Martial doesn't have to deputize on the left.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I will give you a glimmer of hope, in that Burnley when we played them were very hard to break down and we only beat them by scoring in the very last minute with a flukey goal. In Fergie time if you like

The White Pele

It's so tight this year that we could blast our way back into the mix if we go on a run because the others will drop points. We can't afford to wait much longer before finding our stride though. You can see today the potential but it's time now that we turn it into results..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I will give you a glimmer of hope, in that Burnley when we played them were very hard to break down and we only beat them by scoring in the very last minute with a flukey goal. In Fergie time if you like
Big difference away from home. No excuses at home not to beat Burnley.

Not getting 3 points here is more damaging than getting zero points last week in a game we weren't expected to win.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That was at their place.

Burnley at Home
1:0 loss vs Swansea
2:0 win vs Liverpool
1:1 draw vs Hull
2:0 win vs Watford
1:0 loss vs Arsenal
2:1 win vs Everton

Burnley Away

3:0 loss vs Chelsea
3:0 loss vs Leicester
3:1 loss vs Southampton

0:0 draw vs Manchester United

SwansonsTache

Again this season, 4th will be a great achievement. It is the best we can realistically get.
It really is amazing, worst part of it is that when you line up our first 11 and compare it to the teams ahead of us only really City can be said to have a better team.

We are simply just cursed. Every 50\50 goes against us, every ball that hits the woodwork or the post goes out, every time the ball drops it drops for the opponent not us, every time there is a dodgy ref decision it is against us, never for us etc.. Never seen a team in top flight football be more fecked over by fortune than us.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yup. We will finish 5th or 6th this year IMO.
In any other season I'd remain confident we'll get top four with what we currently have, although the concern right now is that there's six genuine contenders for four places this season...and all of them apart from us have done well so far. I struggle to see any of them falling away drastically and if they don't, we really, really need to improve if we want top four.

MDFC Manager

Again this season, 4th will be a great achievement. It is the best we can realistically get.
We're not winning the easy games this season. But unlike last season, we don't look likely to win the big games either. We'll probably be quite a distance from 4th place.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It really is amazing, worst part of it is that when you line up our first 11 and compare it to the teams ahead of us only really City can be said to have a better team.

We are simply just cursed. Every 50\50 goes against us, every ball that hits the woodwork or the post goes out, every time the ball drops it drops for the opponent not us, every time there is a dodgy ref decision it is against us, never for us etc.. Never seen a team in top flight football be more fecked over by fortune than us.
It simply means they have better managers who know how to get the best out of their teams. I would also disagree with City being the only team with a better squad but that it another debate