Top 4 race 2016/17

cyberman

So out the top 6, following 'harder' fixtures to play:

Spurs: Liverpool (a), Arsenal (h), United (h)...........also West Ham (a),
Arsenal: Liverpool (a), Spurs (a), City (h), United (h)....also everton (h), Stoke (a), Southampton (a)
Liverpool: Spurs(h), Arsenal (h), City (a).....Stoke (a), West Ham (a), Leicester (a), everton (h)
City: United (h), Liverpool (h), Arsenal (a), Chelsea (a) .....Southampton (a)
United: Arsenal (a), Spurs (a), City (a), Chelsea (h)......Southampton (a), Leicester (a)

Spurs look like the easier run in, they should finish second but they are Spurs. Liverpool have probably the second easier run in. Cities is a little easier than Arsenal's. But it boils down to consistency. United's looks to have the hardest away games and would need to play out of their skin to get the results needed.
We've played 7 of the other top 10(?) away from home already. This is just wishful thinking from a fan of a struggling side. How many upsets must we see to realise this is a waste of time?

cyberman

A draw for me. A win v Watford would still see us overtake Liverpool and bring Spurs closer.

AXVnee7

Giving up on trying to catch spurs then?
Of the 2 Liverpool are more likely to capitulate the season, and are also closer to us. The gap is now just a single point.

It's also Liverpool, so I want Spurs to win anyway ;)

prateik

I dont think we are getting 2nd. Just that I think City will finish in the top 4 and Arsenal always seem to find a way. Liverpool are pretty much level... Spurs are the one I can see having a wobble at some stage and losing a game or 2.

I thought targeting Liverpool and Spurs would be our best bet.. Relying on Arse to drop out of the top 4 is risky. they seem to go on a run every time their place in the top 4 is threatened .

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Giving up on trying to catch spurs then?
I'd be happiest with a Spurs win too I think. I'd really like one of these teams to really start falling away, and who better than Liverpool. Then a draw in the Arsenal v Liverpool match.

There's so much competition in there at the moment, plus we have a difficult run-in at the end, so if we were to get above Liverpool and then look at putting some breathing space between us it would be a bit more reassuring. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world though.

That said, we have to pick up our own wins first and foremost. We've not really taken advantage of our relatively easy run so far and that could come back to bite us in the derriere at the end.

Timdbro

Table's looking a bit better now but our recent performances don't exactly fill we with confidence that we'll finally overtake the teams above.

Ixion

Liverpool have no European or Cup games to worry about and after the next couple of games have none of the top sides left to play. We need to put distance between them and us so ideally a draw in their upcoming games or a Spurs win.

cyberman

I dont think we are getting 2nd. Just that I think City will finish in the top 4 and Arsenal always seem to find a way. Liverpool are pretty much level... Spurs are the one I can see having a wobble at some stage and losing a game or 2.

I thought targeting Liverpool and Spurs would be our best bet.. Relying on Arse to drop out of the top 4 is risky. they seem to go on a run every time their place in the top 4 is threatened .
This Arsenal side are different though. Their two best players clearly don't want to be there anymore which is altering the fight and grit they need to grind this out.
For all of the history they have finishing 4th I honestly don't think they have had such a poor midfield as they have now.

gajender

Draw is the best result Liverpool are out of top 4 currently with a draw assuming we win our game we move above them and close the gap on current top 4 team Tottenham as well.

Womp

idiot
Liverpool have no European or Cup games to worry about and after the next couple of games have none of the top sides left to play. We need to put distance between them and us so ideally a draw in their upcoming games or a Spurs win.
Considering it's Liverpool this might not be a bad thing. They play well in big games, it's against the small teams they struggle.

Think they'll still lose a few more games throughout the season yet.

FujiVice

Spurs win. I'd go for a draw, but seeing Liverpool lose is always doubly hilarious.

VanGaalEra

Want Liverpool completely out of it, their current meltdown coupled with another defeat and Arsenal to play could just shatter whatever confident they've got left.

Take one team out of it at a time, for now it's Liverpool in our sights, than its Arsenal.

Spurs to win is ideal for us.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Still an outside bet we finish top four with the worst run in (Arse, Spurs and City away, Chelsea home). Most have got two or three of those matches out of the way.
Not to mention Europa, LC and FAC. Massive fixture congestion incoming.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Despite the win today, the last 2 draws mean, we would probably need 2 wins in the 3 big away matches - Arsenal, Spurs and City. Will be very tough.
Spurs are certs for top 4 IMO. City should make it but it will depend on their CL run. If they go deep in Europe, I can see them faltering in the league.

But my prediction is that the last spot will come down to Arsenal, Liverpool and us. Given, Arsenal are fav to go out of CL and Liverpool have nothing but league games, we are definitely the least likely to make it.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Mors tua vita mea, Leicester are dead but United are alive now and kicking... top 4 race becoming tasty now.

Ixion

If they stick that City fixture in the last week we're looking at Arsenal, Spurs and City away back-to-back before the last game of the season. We'll probably have to win a couple of those games.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Liverpools next 6 are pretty hideous. It's going to be difficult for them to build momentum going into the run in unless they play exceptionally well or stay within distance to make up the difference.

They play Spurs H, Leicester A, Arsenal H, Burnley H, City A, Everton H. Not an easy run at all.

IrishRedDevil

If they stick that City fixture in the last week we're looking at Arsenal, Spurs and City away back-to-back before the last game of the season. We'll probably have to win a couple of those games.
It's a good thing that United have to play those direct rivals, as it's in our own hands.

At least them teams aren't playing some mid table team who might roll over cause they are safe.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At the moment it looks like only one spot is up for grabs. IMO, Clesea, Spurs and City look like they have their spots nailed on. We have to finish above Liverpool and Arsenal. Those two have some tricky fixtures over the next 5 games. However our final 6 games makes it a big ask. Still think Europa League is our best bet.

OohAahMartial

Want Liverpool completely out of it, their current meltdown coupled with another defeat and Arsenal to play could just shatter whatever confident they've got left.

Take one team out of it at a time, for now it's Liverpool in our sights, than its Arsenal.

Spurs to win is ideal for us.
Think I would go with this. We have been in 6th so long that we shouldn't think about 2nd or even 3rd...lets just take them out one at a time, starting with Liverpool as the most important one to finish ahead of for obvious reasons. Getting 5th is almost in reach now but 4th is the tricky one especially if City are resurrected with Jesus. Relying on Arsenal to drop put of the top 4 for the first time in over a decade is a tall order.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think I would go with this. We have been in 6th so long that we shouldn't think about 2nd or even 3rd...lets just take them out one at a time, starting with Liverpool as the most important one to finish ahead of for obvious reasons. Getting 5th is almost in reach now but 4th is the tricky one especially if City are resurrected with Jesus. Relying on Arsenal to drop put of the top 4 for the first time in over a decade is a tall order.
Should be good to know that they're playing just as bad as they have been all season, they've just had an easy few games, they'll drop off again the second the going gets tough.

OohAahMartial

Should be good to know that they're playing just as bad as they have been all season, they've just had an easy few games, they'll drop off again the second the going gets tough.
Will be interesting to see if Bravo is dropped long term. Jesus will help but they've not really struggled for goals. Its their defense which is atrocious and changing the keeper may help a bit but not enough to get consistent wins.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Will be interesting to see if Bravo is dropped long term. Jesus will help but they've not really struggled for goals. Its their defense which is atrocious and changing the keeper may help a bit but not enough to get consistent wins.
I mean we should be taking teams one at a time focusing on taking Liverpool's place but really I don't think City, Arsenal or Liverpool are guaranteed top 4, we're good enough to take over all 3 IMO. There's been an irrational fear of City here since 2011 that's lead us to overrating them, Jesus is good but they're not a good team at all.