Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3yham3

Juventus sure are spending loads this transfer window. Where are they getting all the sudden influx of cash from?

Andy_Cole

Juventus sure are spending loads this transfer window. Where are they getting all the sudden influx of cash from?
The Coutinho sale.

Seriously, perhaps they’ve already sold Sandro/ Dyabla for good money and are just spending that money before announcing.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
A lot of the money they have paid out for players is in instalments I think, presumably they have suitors for several players as well and know they will have money coming back in. I would expect Higuain and Rugani to get them the Ronaldo fee back alone, Sturaro might be on the way out as well.

They won't be in a bad position in terms of net spend after that. Might make a Sandro sale less likely as they probably don't really need to sell him.

gr3yham3

A lot of the money they have paid out for players is in instalments I think, presumably they have suitors for several players as well and know they will have money coming back in. I would expect Higuain and Rugani to get them the Ronaldo fee back alone, Sturaro might be on the way out as well.

They won't be in a bad position in terms of net spend after that. Might make a Sandro sale less likely as they probably don't really need to sell him.
Pity. Thought we could get Dybala to help their finances.

Why didn't we just get Telles ourselves?
My thoughts as well... whether Jose agrees is more important though.

Sanche7

Why didn't we just get Telles ourselves?
Because we are signing Sandro? Hopefully
Don't think PSG can actually afford a 50-60 million euro LB, they are in enough Financial trouble with UEFA, are obliged to sign Mbappe for 160 million and are about to sign Bonucci for 35 million.
I don't expect them to make big money signings, especially not a world record signing as 60 million for Sandro would be nearly a world record signing.

tonnas

Yeah I don't get it either. He will probably be cheaper, is younger and seems similar enough in terms of play style
Sandro iss 27 and Telles is 25, with Sandro being better and more proven. Also Porto want the 40m clause for telles and juve want around 50-55m for sandro, cheaper but not by much. I'll take Sandro he is a beast!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
"A bid of more than £60m from Spurs would make things interesting, although Telegraph Sport understands the United hierarchy are not ready to give up on Martial and want to give him another season under Mourinho to see whether he can reignite his career."
Just stick a £120m price tag to that fecker Levy!

Irrational.

Just stick a £120m price tag to that fecker Levy!
I can guarantee if Martial was a Spurs player and it was the other way round, he'd be tied to a contract until 2025 with no release clause and no chance of escape. :lol:

Yeah, feck him. No way we sell to him/ Spurs considering the contempt with which they treat us. Either abroad or nowhere.

Sanche7

Sandro iss 27 and Telles is 25, with Sandro being better and more proven. Also Porto want the 40m clause for telles and juve want around 50-55m for sandro, cheaper but not by much. I'll take Sandro he is a beast!
I'm pretty sure we can strike a deal with Juve by offering 50+10 in add ons.
Also by selling them Darmian for 15 million or something, it's basically 35 million to upgrade in a position we seriously lack in.

IMO we are just playing the game, it's a complex transfer involving Darmian, Sandro and Juve finding a new LB, made even more complicated by Juve asking for 60 million and then United raising the price for Darmian. Hopefully we will see a conclusion to this very soon

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I can guarantee if Martial was a Spurs player and it was the other way round, he'd be tied to a contract until 2025 with no release clause and no chance of escape. :lol:

Yeah, feck him. No way we sell to him/ Spurs considering the contempt with which they treat us. Either abroad or nowhere.
Agreed! Really hope those feckers crash and burn in their new stadium this season!

So the Alex Sandro deal is probably done and we're just waiting for Juventus to get a replacement?
This is what I think too - probably why the deal wasn't done sooner. I don't think Juve wanted to sell without having someone else lined up.

ROFLUTION

This is what I think too - probably why the deal wasn't done sooner. I don't think Juve wanted to sell without having someone else lined up.
This could be the scenario, where Darmian is the back up if they dont find a greater player.. Normally you'd see rumours like w. Perisic last summer how bid after bid is rejected. Or else it could be we're just not interested at all (Like with Fabinho)

It would make sense for Juve to finance Ronaldo by gaining some money from a Sandro-sale

GM K

That is some serious bs. You're comparing individuals or the teams they've played for? Willian's best season came for Chelsea last year with 6 goals and 7 assists. Do you want other members of that squad who've also picked up league titles? Cahill maybe? "His achievements" don't compare to someone like Romagnoli or Gimenez.

The man you imply as having no "achievements" similiarly has
1 x DFB Pokal
1 x La Liga
1 x Copa Del Rey
1 x FIFA World Cup

I suppose comparing team trophies makes adequate comparison of ability to you?
Look at both of their seasons individually.

3 seasons ago:
At Rennes, Ousmane Dembele had 12 goals and 5 assists, making 4.1 dribbles per game, having 2 shots and making 1.7 key passes per game with a whoscored rating of 7.55

At Chelsea, (looking better in a horrible team)

Willian's had 5 goals and 6 assists, making 2.4 dribbles per game, having 2.3 shots and 1.7 key passes with a whoscored rating of 7.20

That's comparing a player in his prime at 27 to a kid just turned 18. But okay, someone will argue Dembele played in a "farmers league" surely he wouldn't compare to the great Willian if he moved up to a better league.

2 seasons ago: (at Borussia Dortmund)
Dembele had 6 goals and 12 assists having 1.7 shots pg, completing 2 key passes per game and 3.3 dribbles per game. Whoscored rating of 7.44

Willian meanwhile failing to cement his place under a new coach after his " heroics" in Chelsea's dark and disastrous season in the new title winning team succeeded in starting only 15 games.
In the roughly 1600 minutes he did play under Conte's league winning team, he had 8 goals and 1 assist in 34 league appearances. Who scored rating of 6.89.

Last season:
Dembele suffered a bad injury and was out for most of the season but the little while he did return at the end of the season for he made 12 starts and played 931 minutes scoring 3 and assisting 6, whoscored rating of 7.15.

Willian having another great season while the rest of team suffered, had 6 goals and 7 assists in almost 1900 minutes. With a whoscored rating of 7.01

Who would you take based on current ability? 30 year old Willian or 21 year old Dembele? Or does Willian's time at Shaktar 7 frigging years ago give him the edge over Dembele?
The initial poster got it right by pointing out 'team achievements' in his attempt at making a case for Willian. It does count a lot in football when assessing individual quality. More importantly, Willian played key roles in his teams in almost every title winning achievement. The same cannot be said about Dembele's role in at least three of those four titles you listed for him.

Also, we need to put stats in perspective. One can go on and on listing players with unimpressive goal and assist stats yet were crucial to the overall performances of their teams and by every definition, highly qualitative as players. Players like Xavi, Iniesta, Makalele, Kanu, Paulo Di Canio and even Bergkamp (for Arsenal) didn't score much but were incredible considering their overall contributions.
I think the thing about Willian is that he is a superb team player who works extremely hard for the team and provides balance. He links up brilliantly between attack and defence. For a manager like Jose Mourinho, that's a special player to have.
You are right about Dembele's talent and pptential. I have no doubts that he can be a better footballer considering his incredible technical abilities. But if the debate is about right now, Willian is a much more experienced and accomplished footballer. I am willing to bet that if Barcelona does buy him, he will be a starter in most games. If Dembele had met their expectations by now, Barca wouldn't be looking at signing Willian at such an expensive fee as is being rumoured.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That is some serious bs. You're comparing individuals or the teams they've played for? Willian's best season came for Chelsea last year with 6 goals and 7 assists. Do you want other members of that squad who've also picked up league titles? Cahill maybe? "His achievements" don't compare to someone like Romagnoli or Gimenez.

The man you imply as having no "achievements" similiarly has
1 x DFB Pokal
1 x La Liga
1 x Copa Del Rey
1 x FIFA World Cup

I suppose comparing team trophies makes adequate comparison of ability to you?
Look at both of their seasons individually.

3 seasons ago:
At Rennes, Ousmane Dembele had 12 goals and 5 assists, making 4.1 dribbles per game, having 2 shots and making 1.7 key passes per game with a whoscored rating of 7.55

At Chelsea, (looking better in a horrible team)

Willian's had 5 goals and 6 assists, making 2.4 dribbles per game, having 2.3 shots and 1.7 key passes with a whoscored rating of 7.20

That's comparing a player in his prime at 27 to a kid just turned 18. But okay, someone will argue Dembele played in a "farmers league" surely he wouldn't compare to the great Willian if he moved up to a better league.

2 seasons ago: (at Borussia Dortmund)
Dembele had 6 goals and 12 assists having 1.7 shots pg, completing 2 key passes per game and 3.3 dribbles per game. Whoscored rating of 7.44

Willian meanwhile failing to cement his place under a new coach after his " heroics" in Chelsea's dark and disastrous season in the new title winning team succeeded in starting only 15 games.
In the roughly 1600 minutes he did play under Conte's league winning team, he had 8 goals and 1 assist in 34 league appearances. Who scored rating of 6.89.

Last season:
Dembele suffered a bad injury and was out for most of the season but the little while he did return at the end of the season for he made 12 starts and played 931 minutes scoring 3 and assisting 6, whoscored rating of 7.15.

Willian having another great season while the rest of team suffered, had 6 goals and 7 assists in almost 1900 minutes. With a whoscored rating of 7.01

Who would you take based on current ability? 30 year old Willian or 21 year old Dembele? Or does Willian's time at Shaktar 7 frigging years ago give him the edge over Dembele?
Great post, couldn't agree more...

EyeInTheSky

The initial poster got it right by pointing out 'team achievements' in his attempt at making a case for Willian. It does count a lot in football when assessing individual quality. More importantly, Willian played key roles in his teams in almost every title winning achievement. The same cannot be said about Dembele's role in at least three of those four titles you listed for him.

Also, we need to put stats in perspective. One can go on and on listing players with unimpressive goal and assist stats yet were crucial to the overall performances of their teams and by every definition, highly qualitative as players. Players like Xavi, Iniesta, Makalele, Kanu, Paulo Di Canio and even Bergkamp (for Arsenal) didn't score much but were incredible considering their overall contributions.
I think the thing about Willian is that he is a superb team player who works extremely hard for the team and provides balance. He links up brilliantly between attack and defence. For a manager like Jose Mourinho, that's a special player to have.
You are right about Dembele's talent and pptential. I have no doubts that he can be a better footballer considering his incredible technical abilities. But if the debate is about right now, Willian is a much more experienced and accomplished footballer. I am willing to bet that if Barcelona does buy him, he will be a starter in most games. If Dembele had met their expectations by now, Barca wouldn't be looking at signing Willian at such an expensive fee as is being rumoured.
I am glad that someone is actually able to comprehend what was a simple statement of fact as opposed to some others...

I would say that Willian is rather similar to Park Ji-Sung in what he brings to his team and possible United if he was to join. Park was never a goal scorer to any great extent or assists but was a vital cog in the engine for the team.

Kaivalya

Look at the right now then. For every year that Dembele has been involved in football he's been better than Willian.
Willian, who is a winger. Not Iniesta, not Xavi, not Makelele. If you won't judge a winger based on his key passes (crossing ability), dribbles completed (sheer dribbling and speed) and basic chances created and goals scored what will you judge him on? His work rate? Tackles? Clearances? Are we looking for a wing back?

Being part of a winning squad has little to no say on your own ability. Like I said, would you take today, Cahill or Godin? Pedro or Griezmann? Willian has been a peripheral figure in every winning season, and when he has shone it's been through a squad that's been utter shit and murky. Case in point the post Mourinho season and the 2nd Conte season.

Willian managed to get 15 starts in the season before last.
In the 2014/15 title winning season, Willian had 2 goals and 3 assists (a forward, I remind you)
Dembele managed to get 12 in Barcas La Liga winning season even after missing most of the season on injury. Dembele was also absolutely central to that Dortmund team that won the Cup and got the highest points tally to finish 2nd in the Bundesliga.

I perfectly understood the op when they said Willian had one XYZ things. The fact is it's meaningless when you compare players to determine who is better today. You must compare players based on their individual achievements and performances. Especially when one of the two is a 21 year old who's just one week ago completed his third year of first team football and the other is a 30 year old winger who's importance has gone from squad player to our only alive and willing player and back again seemingly every 3 games over the last 4 years.

If you want to judge Dembele based on his team achievements he has at least the same achievements in a very short period. He has the stats to boot that he's performed at a better standard too.

Last edited:

dr.twinny

Pjanic would be such a dream signing. Don't know if we'd be interested as the midfield area isn't a pressing concern with the signing of Fred and the extension of Fellaini (ugh), but I hope we do at least try to get him.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
If juve bought Ronaldo to try and win the champions league, selling pjanic would set them back. He's a fantastic player.

KC91

Juve won’t sell Pjanic unless they are confident in getting Pogba/SMS. Even then those would be rather lateral moves.

GM K

Look at the right now then. For every year that Dembele has been involved in football he's been better than Willian.
Willian, who is a winger. Not Iniesta, not Xavi, not Makelele. If you won't judge a winger based on his key passes (crossing ability), dribbles completed (sheer dribbling and speed) and basic chances created and goals scored what will you judge him on? His work rate? Tackles? Clearances? Are we looking for a wing back?

Being part of a winning squad has little to no say on your own ability. Like I said, would you take today, Cahill or Godin? Pedro or Griezmann? Willian has been a peripheral figure in every winning season, and when he has shone it's been through a squad that's been utter shit and murky. Case in point the post Mourinho season and the 2nd Conte season.

Willian managed to get 15 starts in the season before last.
In the 2014/15 title winning season, Willian had 2 goals and 3 assists (a forward, I remind you)
Dembele managed to get 12 in Barcas La Liga winning season even after missing most of the season on injury. Dembele was also absolutely central to that Dortmund team that won the Cup and got the highest points tally to finish 2nd in the Bundesliga.

I perfectly understood the op when they said Willian had one XYZ things. The fact is it's meaningless when you compare players to determine who is better today. You must compare players based on their individual achievements and performances. Especially when one of the two is a 21 year old who's just one week ago completed his third year of first team football and the other is a 30 year old winger who's importance has gone from squad player to our only alive and willing player and back again seemingly every 3 games over the last 4 years.

If you want to judge Dembele based on his team achievements he has at least the same achievements in a very short period. He has the stats to boot that he's performed at a better standard too.
So you are saying that being a key contributor to winning a lot of silverware says little about a player's quality as an individual? That's a bit odd because being a constant winner over many years must surely say something about a player's individual quality.

But let's set that aside for a while. The great Kanu played 12 seasons for Arsenal as a forward and scored only 54 goals. Most people will agree that he is one of the premier leagues legendary forwards. Bergkamp played 315 games for the same club and scored just 87 goals. The point is that you can be a great forward and yet your goals/assist stats may not reflect it especially if you are the kind of forward Willian is. The 'Willian brand' does not sell on the basis of goals and assist stats. It sells on the basis of team balance. You buy a Willian for his pace, drive, hardwork, creativity and the often rare ability to find the right balance between attack and defence. These are things Willian does well while providing attacking threats and creating chances. Douglas Costa has better goals/assists (slightly better, i should point out) stats than Willian but there is a reason why Willian is Brazil's first choice. And there is a reason, Barcelona might be paying a lot of money to buy the 29 year old when they already have Dembele.

Like I said, I take nothing away from the kid. He has a splendid future ahead of him but he needs some time to grow fully into his incredible potential.

Rajma

So you are saying that being a key contributor to winning a lot of silverware says little about a player's quality as an individual? That's a bit odd because being a constant winner over many years must surely say something about a player's individual quality.

But let's set that aside for a while. The great Kanu played 12 seasons for Arsenal as a forward and scored only 54 goals. Most people will agree that he is one of the premier leagues legendary forwards. Bergkamp played 315 games for the same club and scored just 87 goals. The point is that you can be a great forward and yet your goals/assist stats may not reflect it especially if you are the kind of forward Willian is. The 'Willian brand' does not sell on the basis of goals and assist stats. It sells on the basis of team balance. You buy a Willian for his pace, drive, hardwork, creativity and the often rare ability to find the right balance between attack and defence. These are things Willian does well while providing attacking threats and creating chances. Douglas Costa has better goals/assists (slightly better, i should point out) stats than Willian but there is a reason why Willian is Brazil's first choice. And there is a reason, Barcelona might be paying a lot of money to buy the 29 year old when they already have Dembele.

Like I said, I take nothing away from the kid. He has a splendid future ahead of him but he needs some time to grow fully into his incredible potential.
Thing is our team is missing goals/assists not another work horse. Where do you think all our goals will come from then? Lukaku alone?

GM K

Thing is our team is missing goals/assists not another work horse. Where do you think all our goals will come from then? Lukaku alone?
I believe our team is lacking goals/assists because our team lacks the right balance not forwards capable of scoring. If we tweak our full back and CB positions to improve the football there, transition more efficiently from defence to attack, get the right midfield combo (I am excited about Fred) and provide enough threats coming from the right side of our squad, the goals will increase significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.