Transfer Tweets - 2018/19 | Remember if posting foreign language tweets to post in English too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidders

I'm starting to think we would be better off replacing Pogba, SAF knows best after all, he is at his most valuable now so cash in while we can, £155m being mentioned? I doubt it, swaps with RM players ? Again I doubt it, but just flog him to RM or PSG and get 2 quality midfielders in. Rodri/Aouar/Barrella/Ndombele for example.

Bestietom

Ole has a massive Job on his hands getting this club on the right track, and it's not only team building.
There is the problem of players contracts that are in a mess because of Woodwards inability to sort them out, and making Sanchez the highest paid player in the premiership is coming back to haunt us.

Players are now able to leave the club for free and it will take a Chest full of money to replace these players. Promising a 200 million budget to pull the wool over fans eyes will not work this time.

Phelan knows this and can foresee the outcome, which is why he is reluctant to sign a contract until things are sorted.

pacifictheme

I'm starting to think we would be better off replacing Pogba, SAF knows best after all, he is at his most valuable now so cash in while we can, £155m being mentioned? I doubt it, swaps with RM players ? Again I doubt it, but just flog him to RM or PSG and get 2 quality midfielders in. Rodri/Aouar/Barrella/Ndombele for example.
Saf appointed moyes.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'm sure its partly bollocks anyway but those players do realise its them who are struggling to maintain a champions league place right?
Well that requires some self awareness that I dont think the modern day footballer possesses.

deadrevelz

Totally agree with your first paragraph and not so much with the second. Look at Liverpool before Klopp arrived, they were further away than we were now, what was it three years ago? They got the right manager (the one I wanted to replace Ferguson) ad have spent a lot of money on the right players that the manager has got to perform.

Moyes was never the right manager, LVG I actually thought would do well and Mourinho was always a ticking timebomb as soon as he arrived. But look at the half a billion or so that has been spent on round pegs in square holes or plain average players.

Because of this we will be going into another season with pretty much a new manager, still needing 4 signings if no major names leave, possibly 7. As so much of the recruitment has again been poor we will also still several years later before the window unbelievable have Jones, Smalling and Young as virtual first choice defenders and Lingard as our first choice right winger.

Paul Inces comment of anybody could come in and improve us was misinterpreted. Solkjear has done a wonderful job up to now, but the honeymoon period is over, he has a huge job, is he good enough I dont know but transfer wise, apart from DeGea Im not too worried if any of the names linked to leave do. We have a group of players who dont seem to have right mental attitude or many who if we are honest are massively under performing.

I hope we get the incoming transfers right this summer both in terms of numbers and quality, as so far since Ferguson left only two windows havent left me hugely underwhelmed before the season even started.
You said you disagreed with my 2nd paragraph but then everything you wrote confirmed what I said.

deadrevelz

Interesting how since Jose has left, every Castles article portrays Utd in a negative light, either our structure is wrong or players want to leave. Surely it's just a coincidence.:smirk:
Yeah I thought the same. It's likely that of the "7 senior players" considering their future most are ones we don't want to keep. He has just thrown the top 4 thing in there to be a bitter cnut. I mean if we look at this logically which of our players genuinely would want to leave if we didn't get top 4? Most are either out of favour or haggling over a new contract. Pogba I feel wanted out under Jose and probably wanted to play in Spain anyway.

Infra-red

Lack of regular Champions League football and our inability to even regularly finish top 4 (let alone compete for titles) was bound to start having an effect eventually.

Our status as a big, successful club is entirely predicated on the period prior to 2013. With each passing year, that becomes more and more of a distant memory. The United of summer 2019 is undoubtedly less-attractive as a proposition for top players than, say, the United of summer 2016 (when Pogba joined). We're not treading water - our reputation is declining year on year.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Lack of regular Champions League football and our inability to even regularly finish top 4 (let alone compete for titles) was bound to start having an effect eventually.

Our status as a big, successful club is entirely predicated on the period prior to 2013. With each passing year, that becomes more and more of a distant memory. The United of summer 2019 is undoubtedly less-attractive as a proposition for top players than, say, the United of summer 2016 (when Pogba joined). We're not treading water - our reputation is declining year on year.
Yep.

Make no mistake, when talking about the top table of European football, we are simply scrambling around on the floor for the scraps.

There are at least 10 better run and more progressive clubs than us.

We need to stop making the same stupid mistake each year, which is throwing silly money at mercenary players.

We need to take the long road, which means getting the youth team conveyor belt properly moving, including integration into first team affairs, while our transfer policy needs to focus on potential / on the cusp talent.

I am enjoying links to players like Rice, Wan Bissaka and Sancho, and hope the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Garner start getting some good minutes. We aren’t going to build the spine and mentality of the club properly on people like Pogba and Sanchez.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think in the longer term most of our players would be doing us a favour by leaving. Being forced in to a big rebuild may be exactly what we need. Our team feels fundamentally broken anyway, and making a few changes every summer doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.
This is my belief too. Force the club to rebuild and start again in the vision of one man, rather than a squad assembled by three/four managers.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

I don't really mind this, sometimes you have to take a step back to correct the faults and move forward. Since Ferguson we've spent pretty badly and what we almost always had was a collection of individuals rather than a team. With LvG in his final years, Jose and his demands to win we were never going to have the opportunity to organically build a team.

With Ole now we have the chance to do that. We need to retain the core of the group that is in the < 23 year old range, add to it with transfers and let them grow together for 2-3 seasons to again build a team that can challenge in the longer term.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is my belief too. Force the club to rebuild and start again in the vision of one man, rather than a squad assembled by three/four managers.
You have a lot more faith in the people running the club than I do. There's nothing to suggest we will get the rebuild right or that the club will throw the money required to bring in the class of players we would need. I think players like DDG and Pogba leaving would actually have a negative affect overall, it would lessen the chance of top class players joining us. Why would they when they can join another successful club that can offer the same wages we would offer? If we were success then it would be a different story, but as things stand we're struggling to make top 4.

deadrevelz

That sounds nice until the 'one man' gets it wrong and the club is ruined...

Canagel

SAF wanted to keep PP.

Devil may care

Havent we already done that with the colossal failure of Sanchez, who is a great player and not worked and also with the colossal waste of £75m it was always going to be on Lukaku?
Well I never thought Lukaku was good enough but yes in the case of Sanchez, we thought he was just out of form rather than the fact his legs have gone, however it doesn't alter the fact it's the right approach just the wrong player(s), Rashford and Martial are not ready to be the main men and adding an even younger player to them with a £100M price tag on their head isn't going to help them or him IMO.

nainaisson

Interesting how since Jose has left, every Castles article portrays Utd in a negative light, either our structure is wrong or players want to leave. Surely it's just a coincidence.:smirk:
Castles will write an article denouncing his own mother as a whore if Jorge Mendes commands it. The guy has zero journalistic integrity.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Castles will write an article denouncing his own mother as a whore if Jorge Mendes commands it. The guy has zero journalistic integrity.
And yet there are so many people on here who actually believe what he's saying.:houllier:

jesperjaap

Well I never thought Lukaku was good enough but yes in the case of Sanchez, we thought he was just out of form rather than the fact his legs have gone, however it doesn't alter the fact it's the right approach just the wrong player(s), Rashford and Martial are not ready to be the main men and adding an even younger player to them with a £100M price tag on their head isn't going to help them or him IMO.
How long should we be giving these players to develop into main men then? Martial is 23 now and been here for what is it four years? I disagree with what you are saying though from what has happened. We bring in a youngster either from the academy or for millions in these two cases, sign experienced players on big wages to give them time to develop.......four years later we then have players who are 30 and we struggle to get any return on or sell due to the wages and have players should now be fully developed that havent fully progressed to what we hoped, just look at Phil JOnes and Smalling, still here, still starting and now in there late 20s.

That is to a large degree I agree in that we have signed the wrong players. I think we should just be looking to sign the right players in terms of ability and we should also be looking for a leader, not looking to sign experience like we have done to think five years ahead for youngsters to develop, we have Rashford and Lingard but then look at the likes of Januzaj and many others, not many do develop and some that do might never be the main men. Ferguson didnt do this, he sold Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince to make way for his young players...admittedly these were very special youngsters.

He didnt generally sign bar the odd exception experienced players to add to this more up and coming players in Europe to add to and complement them.

Rocknrolla69er

Sell the posturing mercenary that is Pogba and use the cash to help bring in jaoa felix, ndombele and partey

Midfield sorted

ForestRGoinUp

I agree with you completely.

I look at our rivals and their players are harmonious and seemingly enjoying being at their respective clubs, yet we have to deal with a constant barrage of shit from our players and their agents.

We have Romelu Fecking Lukaku talking about stepping up to a team that wins trophies ffs. He should be the first to be shown the door.

There is honestly no one in this squad I’m desperate to keep - that’s how broken the club feels.

Rip it all up and start afresh.
Exactly. There is hardly even a core group. Sell the big names for 300M, add that to the 250M already set aside and go tear up this transfer window.

ForestRGoinUp

We're talking about Pogba and De Gea, two of our best players. Don't think there's a scenario when your best players wanting out is a good thing unfortunately.
Unfortunately there’s not a scenario where two World XI type players want to bounce around the Europa League every other season. Team needs quantity and quality and big sales are going to have to be made to accomplish it a la Liverpool.

Darlington Padgett

Oblak for De Gea might even be an upgrade. Having a player not being linked with Real Madrid every summer is a plus too.

jesperjaap

Yep.

Make no mistake, when talking about the top table of European football, we are simply scrambling around on the floor for the scraps.

There are at least 10 better run and more progressive clubs than us.

We need to stop making the same stupid mistake each year, which is throwing silly money at mercenary players.

We need to take the long road, which means getting the youth team conveyor belt properly moving, including integration into first team affairs, while our transfer policy needs to focus on potential / on the cusp talent.

I am enjoying links to players like Rice, Wan Bissaka and Sancho, and hope the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong and Garner start getting some good minutes. We aren’t going to build the spine and mentality of the club properly on people like Pogba and Sanchez.
Yes, very good point. I think with both the huge number of very talented young English players and the fact Manchester United as a trophy winning club and exciting team to watch, just isnt where it needs to be.......it makes perfect sense to be buying young English players.

They understand the size of the club and what it is to play for us, they are purchases that can be here realistically for 10-15 years, the size of the club ca have a bearing but lifestyle wise and experience wise, the majority shouldnt have settling problems either. Most importantly though, there are a fair few amongst the best young players in the world.

Cloud7

Pickford and Oblak
Fecking hell, how is one option Oblak and the other Pickford? Were they trying to do some kind of contrast or something, show the best option and the worst option?

Devil may care

How long should we be giving these players to develop into main men then? Martial is 23 now and been here for what is it four years? I disagree with what you are saying though from what has happened. We bring in a youngster either from the academy or for millions in these two cases, sign experienced players on big wages to give them time to develop.......four years later we then have players who are 30 and we struggle to get any return on or sell due to the wages and have players should now be fully developed that havent fully progressed to what we hoped, just look at Phil JOnes and Smalling, still here, still starting and now in there late 20s.

That is to a large degree I agree in that we have signed the wrong players. I think we should just be looking to sign the right players in terms of ability and we should also be looking for a leader, not looking to sign experience like we have done to think five years ahead for youngsters to develop, we have Rashford and Lingard but then look at the likes of Januzaj and many others, not many do develop and some that do might never be the main men. Ferguson didnt do this, he sold Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince to make way for his young players...admittedly these were very special youngsters.

He didnt generally sign bar the odd exception experienced players to add to this more up and coming players in Europe to add to and complement them.
The thing is the market is a different place now to when Fergie was around and our position of power in it is also vastly different. As for how long should we give them? I don't know as at this club the answer seems to be to infinity and beyond, I mean look how long we kept Anderson around and we have just given Phil Jones another 5 year deal, so apparently given the ages of those 2 players Martial and especially Rashford have a good bit of time yet to prove they can be the main men.

My main point was that this attack needs a player that has a proven track record of doing it at the top level, not another prospect who is going to be inconsistent like all young players. Resale value be damned given the amount of money the club makes the Glazers, we need a player between 25-27 who is in their prime IMO, to add to the younger attack and be the constant while we hope they become consistent. Look at the front 3's of City and Liverpool, they aren't a set of kids, these are players in their primes, we need at least one finished article added to this attack IMO, not another player even younger than the ones we have, even the mighty Mbappe is helped by the fact he has Neymar and Cavani carrying the load with him.

Devil may care

Yes, very good point. I think with both the huge number of very talented young English players and the fact Manchester United as a trophy winning club and exciting team to watch, just isnt where it needs to be.......it makes perfect sense to be buying young English players.

They understand the size of the club and what it is to play for us, they are purchases that can be here realistically for 10-15 years, the size of the club ca have a bearing but lifestyle wise and experience wise, the majority shouldnt have settling problems either. Most importantly though, there are a fair few amongst the best young players in the world.
Apart from in the forward line I wouldn't say the potential of this crop of English players is all that great, and when you look at Liverpool and City the bulk of their best players are foreigners, and even sides like Barca and Real are not littered with Spaniards and all 4 of these clubs are leaving us in the dirt. Also just because a player is British it wont make them any less of a mercenary, look at Sterling, the moment he saw an opening to jump ship from Liverpool for a better prospect he did it, and Aaron Ramsey just jumped ship to Juve, before that Bale bounced from Spurs to Real, if the players become of the level we want Manchester United players to become then they will be just as likely to jump ship as the foreign players if we are still doing nothing but scrambling for top 4 every season, whether that's moving abroad or letting their contracts run out and going to a league rival.

Nick7

I can't actually believe people actually want us to sell our best players this summer and replace them/buy a handful. Absolute madness

AJ10

I'd rather give that Henderson lad a chance (never seen him play) than even spend 5 pounds on pickford.

haram

Well there’s still 100 million left from last summer Edward.

Red_toad

I can't actually believe people actually want us to sell our best players this summer and replace them/buy a handful. Absolute madness
It’s not Jose telling them to this time, it’s the players actions that are causing the reaction.

Litch

I think it's about time we stopped taking Duncan Castles serious now. It's fairly clear what the agenda is, the same as it's always been.
Spot on, makes me question why people want to start believe this shite now?

deafepl

Why would you be sceptical when we have spent huge money in recent summers?
You can blame him for wanting massive investment? We hardly spent a lot of money last summers, it's a long time since we spent a lot of money in summer. I think 200m and players sales we could use the fund to spend on, it would be a decent window if we get transfer right.

Sanche7

Why is Woody going around bragging about this 200 million figure? What will that get us, 2 WC players? Barely
We need like 5-6 very good players including a WC CB + attacker and that's not considering the possibility of our best two players Pogba and DDG leaving.
If we want to compete, we will have to spend way more than 200 mill

But if this 200 is before sales, then yeah maybe, but I don't think we will get much from sales. Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Sanchez, Lukaku - 110 to 120 million pounds. 320 million would be barely enough for Sancho, Koulibaly, Ndombele and another CM, say Rice/ Rodri
Would still need a RB and another attacker as we would be losing Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.