Transfer Tweets - 2019/20 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
"Woodward and the Glazers have bought into Solskjaer's vision of the future and his desire to rebuild the club around a squad largely made up of young, hungry, domestic talent. #mufc [Standard]"

What's worrying about this is that these quotes seem to me like the top brass are laying the groundwork for the blame to be laid squarely at the feet of Ole and his vision. I mean, had Ole not been in charge, Woody would obviously have gone and gotten another midfielder and striker, but he's just so invested in Ole's plan. :rolleyes:
It's such lame bollox, you already devoted too much thought to it. This stuff if just the standard generic dross that spills from the mouth of the puppet at the end of any given underwhelming window. Look, what prep had he done? What level of coordinated planning was invested? Sweet FA, is what. Ed is a disgrace, a shame to the club. The club is sick, and Woody and the Glazers are the cause. Ole is Ole, he will do his best and unless miracles happen, will be hung out to dry.

Last edited:

JohnZSmith27

I could have worded that better. If United adopt a policy of discriminating against foreign players and not signing them in favour of British players would that be ok because that is what the articles are implying.
Ultimately I'd hope we sign players based on their ability and not where they're from, but I don't think its a big deal for teams to prefer players from their home country. Athletic Bilbao do it and nobody cares.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I could have worded that better. If United adopt a policy of discriminating against foreign players and not signing them in favour of British players would that be ok because that is what the articles are implying.
Yes it’d be fine, there’s lots of reasons why recruiting home players over foreign ones makes sense if the home grown players are good enough. Main one is them being less likely to want to go back home.

Gasolin

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, etc.
I'm sure we are not looking for one and will rely on a team of Ole, Phelan, Carrick and Nicky Butt.

Classical Mechanic

Because I think a lot of people outside the UK would be uncomfortable supporting a club who discriminates against them in terms of who they prefer to play for the club.
Anyone can play for the club but the policy is only to sign players that really want to play for United and most commonly these players are found domestically. The policy of throwing big money at any big foreign name we can get our hands on is over. The Dybala deal was a case in point. He comes from a culture that doesn’t value English football in the highest bracket. In his culture Italian football (because of the migration history of Italians to Argentina) and Spanish football (because of the Latin link) are perceived as the pinnacle of football. As such he only wanted to join if we enriched him and his agent greatly. The folly of such an approach is pretty obvious but one we have fallen for in the past. Hence the new approach. That doesn’t mean we’ll never sign an Argentinian ever again and we would have signed foreign players in this window if the deals were right.

Suedesi

What's journalism then?
Journalism is disseminating of news with detachment and objectivity. It's fine that Simon Stone uses sources within the club to disseminate the club's view - but by not revealing that he's been briefed he's lost all detachment and objectivity in his reporting and he's been used as a propaganda tool.

izzydiggler

Journalism is disseminating of news with detachment and objectivity. It's fine that Simon Stone uses sources within the club to disseminate the club's view - but by not revealing that he's been briefed he's lost all detachment and objectivity in his reporting and he's been used as a propaganda tool.
People don’t seem to understand that ‘sources’ have their own agendas. Transfer leaks by a source is a brief...it just happens to be one that people like to hear. That’s the whole problem with people worshipping the likes of DiMarzio - every journalist is being fed info and sometimes clubs, agents and players use it for their own advantage. You’re never going to get black/white solid reliable info from every journalist, all of the time.

Dante

Average bang
Because I think a lot of people outside the UK would be uncomfortable supporting a club who discriminates against them in terms of who they prefer to play for the club.
We tried to discuss terms with 7 players this Summer (Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic, Mejbri, AWB, James and Maguire). 4 were foreign. Only 3 were British.

We also offered new contracts to Mata and DDG (and others I can't quite remember off the top of my head).

The idea that we're only targetting British players is nonsense. We're targetting anyone good enough (Maguire is statistically one of the best ball playing CBs in the world; AWB is statistically one of the best RBs in the world; Mejbri is one of the highest rated youngsters in the world; James is personal recommendation from Giggs). It's not United's fault who signs on the dotted line or not.

Maybe Dybala, Eriksen and Mandzukic are the bigots.

Last edited:

Suedesi

People don’t seem to understand that ‘sources’ have their own agendas. Transfer leaks by a source is a brief...it just happens to be one that people like to hear. That’s the whole problem with people worshipping the likes of DiMarzio - every journalist is being fed info and sometimes clubs, agents and players use it for their own advantage. You’re never going to get black/white solid reliable info from every journalist, all of the time.
Of course, that's why when reporting off a source you have to reveal the who, the what, the where, the when and the why. Otherwise you're merely parroting what the club wants you to, and I expect better from the Beeb.

Dr. StrangeHate

We tried to discussed terms with 7 players players this Summer (Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic, Mejbri, AWB, James and Maguire). 4 were foreign. Only 3 were British.

We also offered new contracts to Mata and DDG (and others I can't quite remember off the top of my head).

The idea that we're only targetting British players is nonsense. We're targetting anyone good enough (Maguire is statistically one of the best ball playing CBs in the world; AWB is statistically one of the best RBs in the world; Mejbri is one of the highest rated youngsters in the world; James is personal recommendation from Giggs). It's not United's fault who signs on the dotted line or not.

That is why my original post said if this policy is true. I personally think it isn't but there are too many articles now saying the same thing.

Classical Mechanic

We tried to discuss terms with 7 players this Summer (Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic, Mejbri, AWB, James and Maguire). 4 were foreign. Only 3 were British.

We signed Emeran and Hoogewerf as well.

Alabaster Codify7

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, etc.
Awesome isn't it. A lot of us saw this coming, many will fall hook line and sinker and on 09/08/20 after spending £60m following a 6-8th place finish, many will fall for it again.

Our fanbase deserves it.

Dante

Average bang
United discriminating against foreigners with a foreigner in charge of the team :houllier:
It's anti-British sentiment masquerading as cosmopolitanism.

You can tell because people are wilfully ignoring the facts in favour of visceral and prejudiced knee-jerk reactions. A moment's sober analysis shows that the theory is bullshit.

Classical Mechanic

Why allow this when we are short now as it is? I give up.
To get rid of a bad seed that is spoiling the dressing room atmosphere? To reduce his economic cost to the club? Because Ole has seen the talent and attitude of Gomes Greenwood and Chong and wants to go back to United's traditions?

Eric's Seagull

This is what Ole said about signings “It doesn’t matter if they are English, Norwegian, French, Brazilian," he said. "You just want good players and good people."

Status
Not open for further replies.