Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't see anyone in the PL taking Lingard. He really is a Championship player.
Disagree. Lingard on form is a good little player and there's a fair few in this league who are far worse who continue to make a good contribution to their sides.

Just because Lingard isn't good enough for a title challenging team or one aiming for European football it doesn't necessarily mean he's a poor player. Just one that isn't good enough for a higher level.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why are we getting rid Fred? That doesn't make sense. The guy can cover no 6 & 8 role, it's important to keep him. The only way for us to accept him leaving is if we can get 40m euro or pounds from him. Loan deal or less than 40m is a joke to get rid player who is still good enough to play in our XI.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Why are we getting rid Fred? That doesn't make sense. The guy can cover no 6 & 8 role, it's important to keep him. The only way for us to accept him leaving is if we can get 40m euro or pounds from him. Loan deal or less than 40m is a joke to get rid player who is still good enough to play in our XI.
The 6 role at best but not an 8. I would want more rounded ability from someone who can cover for that particular role.

His passing can still be far too wayward and dont get more started on his set-pieces and finishing.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fred can do better than Galatasaray. If he is available we will have far more suitors. Most made up rumour

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Right, said Fred, he's off.

I want to apologise for this. In my defence it's the first time I've said it since he's been in the PL.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The 6 role at best but not an 8. I would want more rounded ability from someone who can cover for that particular role.

His passing can still be far too wayward and dont get more started on his set-pieces and finishing.
You can say what you want about his set pieces and finishing, but his passing isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. In fact, he's a better passer than Matic was last season.

And this is what I observed from him as the season progressed, too. At the start, he struggled to perform well, but after October, he became a much better player. After the lockdown, he was rusty and took a while to get going, but his performances in the Europa League were good.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can say what you want about his set pieces and finishing, but his passing isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. In fact, he's a better passer than Matic was last season.

And this is what I observed from him as the season progressed, too. At the start, he struggled to perform well, but after October, he became a much better player. After the lockdown, he was rusty and took a while to get going, but his performances in the Europa League were good.
Agree on this. Fred is too underrated in football community due to his first season. Before lockdown, he's been our best player and his performance every game is like 7/10 on consistent basis. Even Fabregas acknowledged that Fred has been good whenever he watched him. To let him go now for cheap or on loan doesn't make any sense. Proper money so we can sign his replacement not some peanut money.

ChaddyP

my problem with fred is that he needs to play about 7 games before he gets up to speed. And when hes up to speed hes only just decent, nothing more. Think we could look in to selling him and get a decent fee for him so we can go for an upgrade.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agree on this. Fred is too underrated in football community due to his first season. Before lockdown, he's been our best player and his performance every game is like 7/10 on consistent basis. Even Fabregas acknowledged that Fred has been good whenever he watched him. To let him go now for cheap or on loan doesn't make any sense. Proper money so we can sign his replacement not some peanut money.

That reply to that tweet - "It really shows you how far we have come when players of the calibre of Cesc are complimenting Fred." -OGS - made me laugh.

If we're not selling a player who is useful to the squad, there's no way we should be loaning him.

Irrational.

No way would I look to sell Fred. I think he's under appreciated here - he'll come good and I'm sure he can have a great season if given the chance and a decent run.

croadyman

No way would I look to sell Fred. I think he's under appreciated here - he'll come good and I'm sure he can have a great season if given the chance and a decent run.
He could come good but not gonna lie if Thiago was suddenly on the table would find it very hard to see him getting the game time he wants

kkengvib

Fred in midfield is what Lindelof is in defense for me. Decent squad player. Has some good games, can be tidy, never really wows you, and can be bullied a little too much for my liking.

I don't mind keep either of them but if we can recoup a decent fee I would consider selling. Imagine if we had a bid of 30m for Fred (I know we don't), I'd take it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He could come good but not gonna lie if Thiago was suddenly on the table would find it very hard to see him getting the game time he wants
I don't get the comparisons with playmakers or box-to-box midfielders. Fred has always played as a 6 under Ole except when he was partnered with Matic. Whenever Fred and McTominay would play together, McTominay would typically push up higher and get more involved in the final third than Fred would.

Regardless of whether we get Thiago or not, one of Fred or Matic will always be playing in the midfield. The only exception to this is if we get a new #6 into the side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Letting Fred go would be moronic, under any circumstance, even including a circumstance in which we hypothetically buy the best DM in the world. He’s had a great season, and was one of the best performing midfielders in the league by my viewing. He should be in the starting lineup in the first game of the season, not sold/loaned.

Alemar

Regardless of whether we get Thiago or not, one of Fred or Matic will always be playing in the midfield. The only exception to this is if we get a new #6 into the side.
It will be a trio of Thiago-Pogba-Bruno playing

Gazza

The thing about Fred is he seems like he needs a good run of games to calibrate his passing and off the ball movement. Not sure he’ll get enough of a consistent run as a squad player to step in and do the job when needed tbh.

Alemar

You seem very confident of this being a likely midfield (if we get Thiago). How would would this midfield function, defensively?
Just like the trio of Thiago-Goretzka-Muller does, maybe even better.
Then, we will of course have options to rotate on the bench

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just like the trio of Thiago-Goretzka-Muller does, maybe even better.
Then, we will of course have options to rotate on the bench
Do you think that one of Pogba or Bruno can offer what Goretzka does? From what I've seen, neither of them are as defensively solid as Goretzka is. Even then, Bayern concede several chances with that midfield as they badly miss Kimmich there.

This is why I don't think we'd get Thiago with the intention of playing that midfield 3. It'd expose our defence even more leave us more open on the counterattack. The only reason we'd get Thiago is to compete directly against Pogba.

Irrational.

I keep telling myself but until the scousers take him off the table there is always that hope
It's the hope that kills you my friend. I refuse to be stung again after he fooled us all with the muppetry back in 2013. And how often have we gone back for a player that turned us down in the past?

Alemar

Do you think that one of Pogba or Bruno can offer what Goretzka does? From what I've seen, neither of them are as defensively solid as Goretzka is. Even then, Bayern concede several chances with that midfield as they badly miss Kimmich there.

This is why I don't think we'd get Thiago with the intention of playing that midfield 3. It'd expose our defence even more leave us more open on the counterattack. The only reason we'd get Thiago is to compete directly against Pogba.
Pogba is a better player than Goretzka. MUCH better. And Thiago is a better player than Matic

besides, with this midfield, it’s us that will be controlling games, so it will be less about defending and more about press resistance (exactly where Thiago is one of the best in the world)

croadyman

It's the hope that kills you my friend. I refuse to be stung again after he fooled us all with the muppetry back in 2013. And how often have we gone back for a player that turned us down in the past?
This was being discussed earlier and by all accounts it was Giggsy who told Moyes that he didn't think he would suit the league but don't know how true

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
What makes Pogba better than Goretzka and Thiago better than Matic?
No, you are going the wrong way there buddy. What makes Goretzka better than Pogba?

Do we really need to discuss why Thiago is better than Matic? Yes, Nemanja was good after december but lets not forget how shite he was the 1.5 season before that.

Thiago would be our best player straight away if he came here.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
No, you are going the wrong way there buddy. What makes Goretzka better than Pogba?

Do we really need to discuss why Thiago is better than Matic? Yes, Nemanja was good after december but lets not forget how shite he was the 1.5 season before that.

Thiago would be our best player straight away if he came here.
You and Alemar are both ignoring the defensive aspect of the midfield. You can have three of the best ball-playing midfielders around, but if none of them offer the adequate defensive balance, the defence will have a tough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.