g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

He did well last season but anywhere close to £20m is a really heavy price for a guy of 28, who has spent almost all of his career on loan, with less than one good season at this level. 15 PL games in total and less than 100 senior games in his career.
Do Villa ever sign anyone without getting ripped off?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

He did well last season but anywhere close to £20m is a really heavy price for a guy of 28, who has spent almost all of his career on loan, with less than one good season at this level. 15 PL games in total and less than 100 senior games in his career.
That is a fantastic price for arsenal and an awful deal for villa. The guy had a decent run of form, but he was overrated due to the initial expectations of him I think. Certainly not worth £20m

Brophs

The One and Only
Do Villa ever sign anyone without getting ripped off?
They’re a potent mix of having money and always being openly desperate to buy a player in the position they want.

I’ll guess that Heaton will win back his place within 2 months of being fit and Martinez will be on loan at Middlesbrough or Birmingham the following season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
When we were looking for a left sided defender some people actually suggested Fofana. How does he compare to say Gabriel which Arsenal finally went for?
Gabriel is further along for sure than Fofana and played for a better team in the league. I'd probably say Fofana probably has a higher ceiling, but I'd be biased.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I genuinely think Chelsea will struggle early on this season, the complete squad upheaval cannot be good in the short term. I also don't think Lampard is any great shakes, I am not as worried as others.

dinostar77

£210m spent so far and still need a goalkeeper and possibly Rice. Looking at £300m spend for the summer which will beat Madrid’s record of £270m in a window or whatever PSG spent the season they bought Neymar and Mbappé. Quite how they do that and we all still pretend that FFP is still a thing, I’m not sure.

I also don’t understand how people think we are expected to maintain or improve on 3rd this year if we don’t get anymore deals over the line. Chelsea have tooled up massively, we’ve bought a midfielder for rotation.
The Swiss Ramble have a great thread on how Chelsea are doing this and staying within ffp. As a newbie i cant link to the article good read though. They also have one on why liverpool have no money to spend this summer. They are the messi of football finance.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If they also get Rice, and including Pulisec, has there ever been a more aggressive transfer window than this?

Have to admire Roman: he is certainly providing Lampard with every tool possible to be successful.
I think they might sneak winning the league this year: certainly some teams are going to get an absolute spanking.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I genuinely think Chelsea will struggle early on this season, the complete squad upheaval cannot be good in the short term. I also don't think Lampard is any great shakes, I am not as worried as others.
Possibly. It does take time to find your best 11 with so many additions. There’s bound to be a feel good factor initially but with no crowd behind them to be that extra man, will that have an effect? A lot to ponder

RedNed77

We're not actually going to sell Rojo, are we?
Why sell when we can just keep paying him and not playing him, crazy talk :houllier:. We'll probably need to look at a contract extension for him pretty soon as I think we might actually have to stop giving him free money next year. The fecker almost snuck off to Everton last year, cheeky bastards even wanted to give us some money for him.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

Possibly. It does take time to find your best 11 with so many additions. There’s bound to be a feel good factor initially but with no crowd behind them to be that extra man, will that have an effect? A lot to ponder
The best they can come up with is ‘Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea’.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Unless we're selling Kante or Jorginho for big money there's no way we get Rice this summer. All links to Jorginho died once Sarri was sacked and the club have been pretty firm that Kante won't be sold.

Nevermind the fact that West Ham have all the leverage.

BlackShark_80

The signing of Camavinga for Real Madrid is very advanced. They have been working on it for more than a year. There have been several meetings between both parties, a link has already been created.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

The signing of Camavinga for Real Madrid is very advanced. They have been working on it for more than a year. There have been several meetings between both parties, a link has already been created.
We're stuck with Pogba / he's stuck with us.

luke511

PSG openly said Rennes are asking €90 million for him, a very hefty (but understandable) price, will be sad to see him go to Real Madrid.

croadyman

Could live with Reguilon going to Inter but would be a kick in the teeth if he joins Spurs

Dr. StrangeHate

I think Lampard style will translate much better now. It's like Pep Vs Klopp debate. Klopp can take any team and improve them. While Pep can only operate at the highest level with the best players.
Lampard is not the level of Pep, it's just his system is better suited to top players.

ReddBalls

I think Lampard style will translate much better now. It's like Pep Vs Klopp debate. Klopp can take any team and improve them. While Pep can only operate at the highest level with the best players.
Lampard is not the level of Pep, it's just his system is better suited to top players.
How do you know that?

NecssryEvil

The best they can come up with is ‘Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea’.
yeah, but they do it it unison and shout really loud!
Unless we're selling Kante or Jorginho for big money there's no way we get Rice this summer. All links to Jorginho died once Sarri was sacked and the club have been pretty firm that Kante won't be sold.

Nevermind the fact that West Ham have all the leverage.
Man, that is tough, I feel for you Orc.

croadyman

That Pilger article was not a great start to the day on transfers for us. I know he isn't Ducker like in reliability but doesn't offer many positves in terms of incomings at all

rotherham_red

That Pilger article was not a great start to the day on transfers for us. I know he isn't Ducker like in reliability but doesn't offer many positves in terms of incomings at all
The article which repeatedly states that the club are confident on incomings?

RedRover

Not old for a goalkeeper - could be a number one for 10 years.

People underestimate the value of a good keeper, especially if you're potentially going to struggle. The 5 or 6 points they win you might keep you up. Arsenal are right to ask for decent money. Clubs are punting £30 plus million on strikers from the Championship or kids from Portugal with a handful of appearances. Decent Premier League keepers are at a premium it seems so fair play to them. They don't have to sell. It's like United with Romero.

croadyman

That is my fault for just seeing the negative bits of it highlighted on social media. The only trouble is when you get further into it there is a feeling of wanting a LB & CB but not being able to get either this summer which definitely leaves us short.

Brophs

The One and Only
Not old for a goalkeeper - could be a number one for 10 years.

People underestimate the value of a good keeper, especially if you're potentially going to struggle. The 5 or 6 points they win you might keep you up. Arsenal are right to ask for decent money. Clubs are punting £30 plus million on strikers from the Championship or kids from Portugal with a handful of appearances. Decent Premier League keepers are at a premium it seems so fair play to them. They don't have to sell. It's like United with Romero.
That’s not remotely what I’m saying. Of course keepers are important. Good players are always worth the money. The sample size to assess whether he’s actually a good PL keeper and whether he’s a guy who hit the best run of form in his life is woefully small. All we know to date is that he has been at Arsenal for a decade, with the various sub-par goalies they’ve had and made no impact and has done well for a short period in the PL. It might be a good deal, it might just as easily turn out to be £20m wasted if he follows the pattern of much of his career.

RedNed77

Despite the headline, it doesn't really say why we would be confident of signings. In fact it actually says that we either don't want or can't get two of the three players we like and the other is far too expensive for us.

croadyman

Despite the headline, it doesn't really say why we would be confident of signings. In fact it actually says that we either don't want or can't get two of the three players we like and the other is far too expensive for us.
Yeah that headline is very deceiving indeed and just hoping for something positive to come out later from a more reliable transfer source.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nonsense.

RedRover

That’s not remotely what I’m saying. Of course keepers are important. Good players are always worth the money. The sample size to assess whether he’s actually a good PL keeper and whether he’s a guy who hit the best run of form in his life is woefully small. All we know to date is that he has been at Arsenal for a decade, with the various sub-par goalies they’ve had and made no impact and has done well for a short period in the PL. It might be a good deal, it might just as easily turn out to be £20m wasted if he follows the pattern of much of his career.
Like many transfers. Clubs pay far more for players with "Potential" who may never even be first team regulars.

My point, from an Arsenal perspective, is that they have a keeper other clubs wanted who they could afford to lose, but are under no pressure to sell. They're right to demand a decent fee. United would be with Romero, subject to contracts expiring etc.

And £20 million isn't a lot these days. It's Championship money. I suspect if Henderson (5 years younger, to be fair) was on the market, our fans would expect the club to be asking well in excess of double that. He may have potential, but is a player who's got equivalent experience in the Premier League and with no guarantee he won't go down the same route as some other young English keepers - Robinson, Hart, Carson, Kirkland, Foster, Pickford - all started well.

It's a risk, no doubt - but so is any new keeper. If you get it right it pays off massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.