Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
[Disclaimer: I will not be presenting my point of view here; I'll just be playing Devil's Advocate]

I can't say for certain if United were always interested in a striker. Our strongest transfer links were with Jadon Sancho this whole transfer window. Beyond him, we had somewhat reliable links pop up for other wide players, centre backs, left backs, and van de Beek. We may have been monitoring forwards (as we always would), but there was nothing from the more reliable journalists on that.

The timing comes to question because we could have had him for pre-season and integration with the team. As a free agent, he's missed out on that. Bayern and CHO is relevant as well (could easily have targeted him earlier in the window), but he's already undergone pre-season training with Chelsea and would be fitter than Cavani at this stage.

In terms of whether other players' agents could have approached the club, they could have, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I have other forward options in my mind outside of Cavani, but I'm not sure if they would be attainable.

[End Devil's Advocate]

I'm with you on the negative coverage. The fact that more journalists haven't highlighted the more positive aspects of this (reasonable wages, proven goalscoring ability, work rate and intelligence) reeks of typical ABU coverage (even from United journalists like Whitwell). Yeah, there are negatives (transfer timing, fitness especially his recent injury, age), but do they significantly outweigh the positives? I'd say they cancel each other out. At this point, though, you know how the media is; they'd rather rinse us than praise us (mostly because United and other fans are drawn towards the negative coverage).
That whole ‘pre-season’ thing that is mentioned every year is nonsense too. There is a reason that the transfer window closes weeks after the season even starts; let along at the end of pre-season.

Deals will be done when it most suits the club, provided the window is still open. We didn’t even have a pre-season anyway. And when a player is signed, on a 5 year deal, I doubt the club cares much about when they start their first few weeks. Every year i read how we apparently should have everything negotiated before the season ends so that we can seemingly announce £200m worth of signings on the day the window opens, allowing the players to ‘fully integrate’. Cavani is on a two year deal. If he takes two weeks to get going, so what? We have other footballers.

I’m not even saying your points have no merit, and I appreciate you were just playing Devils Advocate, but the point to which they are discussed is overstated with us, always. Up until now, I have no idea what Thiago earns at Liverpool. Or what Havertz gets at Chelsea. Already, almost every UK journo has made reference to Cavani’s salary. Not somewhere in the middle of their article, but in the 140 character tweet they use to break the news. Like, I appreciate tou are ‘journalists’, but sometimes I can’t help but think ‘just stay out of our business’. At least stop telling us how to run it to the most micro of levels. It doesn’t happen elsewhere. It took the pricks an entire year to even work out that Real paid 160m for Hazard and not 100m. It is only with us that they want to play pseudo accountants and executives.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
No we were linked all over UK press in Jan and before the window
On Jimenez, I saw nothing from the UK press that went beyond what the Portuguese media were reporting. In fact, there was one Daily Mail article that the Caf Twitter account retweeted that highlighted the link as "utter nonsense".

There was nothing from the likes of Luckhurst or Ducker on this (let alone Stone, Whitwell, Crafton, Aarons, Romano, etc.). Even RMC weren't linking us to Dembele throughout that time. The only links in France were weak ones from L'Equipe and Julien Maynard (of TeleFoot) last year. I couldn't find anything else.

If I've missed anything, let me know (and I'd really like to know).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
On Jimenez, I saw nothing from the UK press that went beyond what the Portuguese media were reporting. In fact, there was one Daily Mail article that the Caf Twitter account retweeted that highlighted the link as "utter nonsense".

There was nothing from the likes of Luckhurst or Ducker on this (let alone Stone, Whitwell, Crafton, Aarons, Romano, etc.). Even RMC weren't linking us to Dembele throughout that time. The only links in France were weak ones from L'Equipe and Julien Maynard (of TeleFoot) last year. I couldn't find anything else.

If I've missed anything, let me know (and I'd really like to know).
Thats because you are talking about the later reports when the deal was dead. Im talking about when we were actually interested and Nuno did an interview saying he couldnt rule it out. Way before the covid mess

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That whole ‘pre-season’ thing that is mentioned every year is nonsense too. There is a reason that the transfer window closes weeks after the season even starts; let along at the end of pre-season.

Deals will be done when it most suits the club, provided the window is still open. We didn’t even have a pre-season anyway. And when a player is signed, on a 5 year deal, I doubt the club cares much about when they start their first few weeks. Every year i read how we apparently should have everything negotiated before the season ends so that we can seemingly announce £200m worth of signings on the day the window opens, allowing the players to ‘fully integrate’. Cavani is on a two year deal. If he takes two weeks to get going, so what? We have other footballers.

I’m not even saying your points have no merit, and I appreciate you were just playing Devils Advocate, but the point to which they are discussed is overstated with us, always. Up until now, I have no idea what Thiago earns at Liverpool. Or what Havertz gets at Chelsea. Already, almost every UK journo has made reference to Cavani’s salary. Not somewhere in the middle of their article, but in the 140 character tweet they use to break the news. Like, I appreciate tou are ‘journalists’, but sometimes I can’t help but think ‘just stay out of our business’. At least stop telling us how to run it to the most micro of levels. It doesn’t happen elsewhere. It took the pricks an entire year to even work out that Real paid 160m for Hazard and not 100m. It is only with us that they want to play pseudo accountants and executives.
Tell me about it. I hate reading their biases and singular points of view on us. Every other club gets presented in a more balanced or even favourable manner, but the only positive coverage United got was in their response to the pandemic (and even that was short-lived).

Back to Cavani: he's someone who looks after himself and doesn't necessarily struggle with fitness. I haven't read or heard anything about him struggling for fitness at the start of the season like Rooney, so I doubt that he'd struggle to get going. In this case, however, my reservations on him are over how he fares after his lengthy injury last season and the fact that he's quite old for his playing style. Even Suarez slowed down and struggled a bit during his latter years at Barcelona, but he did adapt. Cavani could, too; he's a smart footballer.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thats because you are talking about the later reports when the deal was dead. Im talking about when we were actually interested and Nuno did an interview saying he couldnt rule it out. Way before the covid mess
I looked all the way back at January and last summer as well, but I couldn't find anything stronger on Jimenez. If I really did miss out on anything, let me know.

On Dembele, the strongest links before this summer was with Chelsea on January.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I looked all the way back at January and last summer as well, but I couldn't find anything stronger on Jimenez. If I really did miss out on anything, let me know.

On Dembele, the strongest links before this summer was with Chelsea on January.
Like I said already even his manager didnt rule it out when asked. But reports from Portugal stronger right....

Tom Van Persie

No relation
- Cavani undergoing medical today after agreeing to a two year deal.
- Solskjaer has been frustrated by the board's inability to add depth to the forward line.
- Dembele has told United he will join before Monday's deadline if United offer him a long term contract. It is thought a £65 million offer would be enough to secure him.
- United’s attempt to secure Sancho is in the balance Woodward calculates that Sancho's desire to return to the Premier League will help force Borussia Dortmund to back down on repeated public statements that he's no longer for sale in this window.
- United improved their offer for Sancho to an initial €95 million (£86 million) plus €15 million of performance related payments.

Last edited:

roseguy64

- Cavani undergoing medical today after agreeing to a two year deal.
- Solskjaer has been frustrated by the board's inability to add depth to the forward line.
- Dembele has told United he will join before Monday's deadline if United offer him a long term contract. It is thought a £65 million offer would be enough to secure him.
- United’s attempt to secure Sancho is in the balance Woodward calculates that Sancho's desire to return to the Premier League will help force Borussia Dortmund to back down on repeated public statements that he's no longer for sale in this window.
- United improved their offer for Sancho to an initial €95 million (£86 million) plus €15 million of performance related payments.

Second source now with this 110m euros offer. Oh wait, seeing the Castles name included. Thought it was just Hirst.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Cause negativity is in vogue innit.
No, cause it's my opinion innit. I've seen him play many times, he blows hot and cold and has never been a player I've been impressed by. Due to this, I have low expectations, and having seen the club make these kind of transfers before, I aim not to get my hopes up like I've done with Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez...

georgipep

Cavani agent is his brother.
You've mentioned that a few times with a negative connotation. Why? What's wrong with his agent being his brother? Would you rather have Mendes or Raiola be his agent? Do you think that would have made the fee cheaper?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think we're getting Telles for sure and then Sancho if we can agree a deal, if not we'll pull the trigger on Dembele it seems.

VDB
Cavani
Telles
Sancho/Dembele
Pellistri

I think that's a pretty decent window.

Gee Male

I think we're getting Telles for sure and then Sancho if we can agree a deal, if not we'll pull the trigger on Dembele it seems.

VDB
Cavani
Telles
Sancho/Dembele
Pellistri

If we get there, I would be happy.

Probably couldn't justify a centre half without shifting others, and maybe we have hopes for Mengi there in the next few years. Could do with a defensive mid too in my mind, but I can't see an immediately obvious candidate.

If we get there.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

VDB
Cavani
Telles
Sancho/Dembele
Pellistri

We will get nothing after Cavani.

georgipep

Status
Not open for further replies.