Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well if what you claim is true we should have no trouble in selling James for 25M, we'll talk again when we sell him and see who was right.
No. We talk again when you can give me lot of list/name like what I did to proved you wrong.

No point waiting if United doesn't accept the 25m transfer bid when they still need him for depth due to unable to sign a player for replacement.

stu_1992

Ok, but one injury hit season isn’t quite the same as being a crock with a career ending injury or years of injury (a la Phil Jones).

Lets hope due diligence is done in the medical tomorrow.
No its not quite the same, but his recent history is quite poor and his seeming inability to regain form after injury isn't great either. Couple that with his age and having to adapt to a harder, more physical and faster league. It's not a set of circumstances that would give me much confidence.

stu_1992

All I can hope for is he’s a good member of the dressing room and teaches Martial and Greenwood some things. In terms of having a back up striker Cavani is better than Ighalo.
I agree better than Ighalo. I'm just don't think we're going to get out money's worth here. Free transfer or not. Other areas were more pressing of course.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you're saying that Cavani was our long term target and he fits the Ole's blueprint of buying young players for the future.

cool stroy bro.
No Im saying his wages are prob not very high

dinostar77

Are we serious? What are we building? Where's the strategy? Underwhelmed.
We brought in a non mobile unproven in PL player at age of 35 called Ibrahimovic and he was awesome. Anyway theres always that myopic PL angle of can player x cut it in the PL. Class is permanent.

Cavani is 33, he's still quick for his age, likes to break the offside trap which will suit us and ole style of play. He can play off the wings as a wide forward as he did at psg when swapping positions with Mbappe and Neymar. Hes vastly experienced player which can only help our young forwards; rashford, martial and greenwood. Hes a winner, top pro who looks after himself physically and a strong personality, which we need in the dressing room.

His wages are inside our current wage structure. Hes better than ighalo by a huge margin. I have no issue with bringing experienced players in, fergie did that with blanc, larsson etc. Ole wanted a forward so i think this is his call.

ATXRedDevil

SAFMUTD

No. We talk again when you can give me lot of list/name like what I did to proved you wrong.

No point waiting if United doesn't accept the 25m transfer bid when they still need him for depth due to unable to sign a player for replacement.
Sure thing mate let me work on that list you ask for and I'll get back to you asap. Cheers
;)

ti vu

Looks like United have finally found a young right winger other than Chong.
Hope he can hit the ground running with first team football, and level above James or we're truly fecked.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

The article in the link was free for me and offers some more info on Cavani's potential earnings:
  • Cavani wanted 9 million Euros per year (8.15 million Pounds)
    • ~173k Euros per week
  • His United wages will fit within the existing structure and be nowhere near Sanchez's wages

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The article in the link was free for me and offers some more info on Cavani's potential earnings:
  • Cavani wanted 9 million Euros per year(8.15 million Pounds)
    • ~173k Euros per week
  • His United wages will fit within the existing structure and be nowhere near Sanchez's wages
It’s never good enough for this fecking press. What about Liverpool signing Thiago on the eve of the season? What about the hundreds of deals that will happen between now and Monday across the globe? They just can’t stop with their ‘incompetent’ narrative. They hailed Spurs signing Bale as a masterstroke, you just know if it were us, it will be the documenting of every penny we will pay him, every day he has spent injured in the last 10 years, everytime they decided we ‘could’ have signed him in the past. Just feck off.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It’s never good enough for this fecking press. What about Liverpool signing Thiago on the eve of the season? What about the hundreds of deals that will happen between now and Monday across the globe? They just can’t stop with their ‘incompetent’ narrative. They hailed Spurs signing Bale as a masterstroke, you just know if it were us, it will be the documenting of every penny we will pay him, every day he has spent injured in the last 10 years, everytime they decided we ‘could’ have signed him in the past. Just feck off.
I know what you mean, and I share the same sentiments when it comes to United's negative press coverage (part of the reason why I started posting transfer Tweets this summer), but in this case, I also understand the more negative point of view here. The questions being asked here are:
  • Isn't it weird that we decided to bring him in once his agents approached the club a few days back?
  • If we were okay with getting him, why weren't we negotiating for him a long while back (available since January)?
  • Have we not shortlisted other players to take Ighalo's place and add depth to our front line (King was the only one from the January window)?
For the second question, I can see why we'd hold back; he was in negotiations with both Benfica and Atletico de Madrid, both of whom were put off by the agent fees and high salary demands. That could have made Cavani more desperate to look for a club in the CL, so waiting longer here could have gotten us a better deal. That's about the only positive answer I can give to the three questions above.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know what you mean, and I share the same sentiments when it comes to United's negative press coverage (part of the reason why I started posting transfer Tweets this summer), but in this case, I also understand the more negative point of view here. The questions being asked here are:
  • Isn't it weird that we decided to bring him in once his agents approached the club a few days back?
  • If we were okay with getting him, why weren't we negotiating for him a long while back (available since January)?
  • Have we not shortlisted other players to take Ighalo's place and add depth to our front line (King was the only one from the January window)?
For the second question, I can see why we'd hold back; he was in negotiations with both Benfica and Atletico de Madrid, both of whom were put off by the agent fees and high salary demands. That could have made Cavani more desperate to look for a club in the CL, so waiting longer here could have gotten us a better deal. That's about the only positive answer I can give to the three questions above.
It doesn’t matter though. We were always interested in a striker. It is a red herring of a conversation. What does it matter what point of the window we decided to do a deal? The window is open and has a beginning and end date. We, just like other clubs, are free to do as they please within that period. What I do know is that we haven’t just heard of a player called Edinson Cavani. So obviously, our coach knows he’s a good player. We decided to do a deal to sign him late in the window, so what? It’s a mon-conversation. Why are ‘well run club’ Bayern trying to sign CHO now, instead of at the beginning of the summer? After all, they knew they liked him. It’s the usual negativity, which can be found in everything the club do because they want to find it.

Even VDB. There were a few comments at the time somehow trying to say stuff like ‘well, they were only able to complete this deal because Edwin Van Der Saar is at Ajax’, or ‘they only got him because Madrid didn’t’. It is literally ALWAYS something. Most of it being nitpicking BS. It took Chelsea about 3 months of negotiation to sign Havertz, not once did I hear them moaning about ‘saga’ this and that. And regarding the questions you posed, you and I don’t have any idea how things went down, and more importantly, we have no idea how different such a cycle is from a normal/regular transfer process. How do you know many other players are nor proposed by agents first?

Matt851

Good points

Also the comparisom with the thiago deal is a weird one because liverpool signed him in time for the beginning of the season, he is exactly what they needed and they were in for him the whole time

Prodigal7

Exactly. So many here get taken in by their narrative though. Cavani is needed. I’m reserving all judgement for the transfer window as a whole until Tuesday morning in any case

prateik

Is it a panic buy if you dont get your first choice target and move for the second choice at some point?

I think we needed a backup striker. Ighalo has had a poor start to the season which probably played a part... If he had a great start, we might have considered extending his deal.

We were linked to Jovic and another striker (cant remember) in recent weeks as loan options. If we couldnt get that deal done... especially on loan .. we moved for Cavani on a free..

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It doesn’t matter though. We were always interested in a striker. It is a red herring of a conversation. What does it matter what point of the window we decided to do a deal? The window is open and has a beginning and end date. We, just like other clubs, are free to do as they please within that period. What I do know is that we haven’t just heard of a player called Edinson Cavani. So obviously, our coach knows he’s a good player. We decided to do a deal to sign him late in the window, so what? It’s a mon-conversation. Why are ‘well run club’ Bayern trying to sign CHO now, instead of at the beginning of the summer? After all, they knew they liked him. It’s the usual negativity, which can be found in everything the club do because they want to find it.

Even VDB. There were a few comments at the time somehow trying to say stuff like ‘well, they were only able to complete this deal because Edwin Van Der Saar is at Ajax’, or ‘they only got him because Madrid didn’t’. It is literally ALWAYS something. Most of it being nitpicking BS. It took Chelsea about 3 months of negotiation to sign Havertz, not once did I hear them moaning about ‘saga’ this and that. And regarding the questions you posed, you and I don’t have any idea how things went down, and more importantly, we have no idea how different such a cycle is from a normal/regular transfer process. How do you know many other players are nor proposed by agents first?
[Disclaimer: I will not be presenting my point of view here; I'll just be playing Devil's Advocate]

I can't say for certain if United were always interested in a striker. Our strongest transfer links were with Jadon Sancho this whole transfer window. Beyond him, we had somewhat reliable links pop up for other wide players, centre backs, left backs, and van de Beek. We may have been monitoring forwards (as we always would), but there was nothing from the more reliable journalists on that.

The timing comes to question because we could have had him for pre-season and integration with the team. As a free agent, he's missed out on that. Bayern and CHO is relevant as well (could easily have targeted him earlier in the window), but he's already undergone pre-season training with Chelsea and would be fitter than Cavani at this stage.

In terms of whether other players' agents could have approached the club, they could have, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I have other forward options in my mind outside of Cavani, but I'm not sure if they would be attainable.

[End Devil's Advocate]

I'm with you on the negative coverage. The fact that more journalists haven't highlighted the more positive aspects of this (reasonable wages, proven goalscoring ability, work rate and intelligence) reeks of typical ABU coverage (even from United journalists like Whitwell). Yeah, there are negatives (transfer timing, fitness especially his recent injury, age), but do they significantly outweigh the positives? I'd say they cancel each other out. At this point, though, you know how the media is; they'd rather rinse us than praise us (mostly because United and other fans are drawn towards the negative coverage).

Cassidy

[Disclaimer: I will not be presenting my point of view here; I'll just be playing Devil's Advocate]

I can't say for certain if United were always interested in a striker. Our strongest transfer links were with Jadon Sancho this whole transfer window. Beyond him, we had somewhat reliable links pop up for other wide players, centre backs, left backs, and van de Beek. We may have been monitoring forwards (as we always would), but there was nothing from the more reliable journalists on that.

The timing comes to question because we could have had him for pre-season and integration with the team. As a free agent, he's missed out on that. Bayern and CHO is relevant as well (could easily have targeted him earlier in the window), but he's already undergone pre-season training with Chelsea and would be fitter than Cavani at this stage.

In terms of whether other players' agents could have approached the club, they could have, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I have other forward options in my mind outside of Cavani, but I'm not sure if they would be attainable.

[End Devil's Advocate]

I'm with you on the negative coverage. The fact that more journalists haven't highlighted the more positive aspects of this (reasonable wages, proven goalscoring ability, work rate and intelligence) reeks of typical ABU coverage (even from United journalists like Whitwell). Yeah, there are negatives (transfer timing, fitness especially his recent injury, age), but do they significantly outweigh the positives? I'd say they cancel each other out. At this point, though, you know how the media is; they'd rather rinse us than praise us (mostly because United and other fans are drawn towards the negative coverage).
We were linked with both Jiminez and Dembele (Lyon)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think the Jimenez links were mainly from Portugal (you never know with them), and the Dembele links were from weaker sources (I think McGarry was the most reliable of the lot, which says enough to me).

Cassidy

I think the Jimenez links were mainly from Portugal (you never know with them), and the Dembele links were from weaker sources (I think McGarry was the most reliable of the lot, which says enough to me).
No we were linked all over UK press in Jan and before the window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And Josh King. It had been said numerous times that we want a ‘centre half, full, back, winger and striker’. Naturally, we would work towards an order of priority and availability. But whatever we do, it is for us to do. We don’t have to square the order in which we talk to people, negotiate etc with any press for their approval. They can feck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.