Transfer Tweets - 2020/21 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

Current contract expires in summer 2022 so this could be another value signing like Telles if he doesn't renew within the next 4 months. Fiorentina rejected a significant offer last summer from a PL club.
We need to sign someone who will genuinely replace one of our starting CB and has all the right attributes to come into a team to challenge for major trophies, a value type signing like Telles (who has proved to be a useful squad player thus far) shouldn't be our priority in this pressing position / problem in the team.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
what is there to “consider” exactly? It’s blatantly fecking obvious we need a new CB. That being said I shouldn’t be shocked if we don’t sign one seeing as we’re still to fill the gaping hole on the right wing which has been there for the last 8-9 years.
Don't worry about that word in the Tweet. The article itself mentions that United are ready to spend big on a CB or a forward depending on who's available and United's situation at the end of the season. Basically, expect us to go beyond "considering" going after a CB this summer.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Chelsea get what they pay for. I do wonder what their budget will be like for next season given that Abramovich has been putting in ~250 million Pounds or more every summer for the past few summers. Maybe the Hazard money would somewhat reduce that, but it'd still be a large sum out of his pocket.

ShinjiNinja26

Don't worry about that word in the Tweet. The article itself mentions that United are ready to spend big on a CB or a forward depending on who's available and United's situation at the end of the season. Basically, expect us to go beyond "considering" going after a CB this summer.
Well that’s a bit more reassuring then. I probably should’ve read the article but there’s so many tweets in this thread I tend to just glance at the headlines..:lol:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Current contract expires in summer 2022 so this could be another value signing like Telles if he doesn't renew within the next 4 months. Fiorentina rejected a significant offer last summer from a PL club.
Think that's the plan I guess. Lose Pogba on a free and sign this guy on a free. Probably make sense as well. Or both will go around same money.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The trouble is we shouldn't have to be choosing out of CB/CDM when we badly need to sign both
Considering our limited budget, we either have to go for lesser-known (maybe lesser-quality) targets in order to improve lower-priority gaps as well, or we focus on the biggest issues and spend bigger money on them. It depends on the situation, overall. From what I'm aware of (off the top of my head), there aren't too many potentially good deals around, so we may have to spend big.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source: Radio Super 91.7 via O Tempo

Atlético Mineiro club director Rodrigo Caetano:
Fernandinho talks a lot about being in a situation of end of contract. He’s a very good player on the field and better off it. By the way, there’s even a conversation to be part of Pep Guardiola’s coaching staff. But he has a situation that, when he returns to Brazil, he’d give preference to Athletico Paranaense. An interesting player because he’s very good on the field and off. But we have no negotiations underway with Fernandinho or his staff, at the moment.

croadyman

Considering our limited budget, we either have to go for lesser-known (maybe lesser-quality) targets in order to improve lower-priority gaps as well, or we focus on the biggest issues and spend bigger money on them. It depends on the situation, overall. From what I'm aware of (off the top of my head), there aren't too many potentially good deals around, so we may have to spend big.
Yeah my biggest fear is that we will have to go for lesser quality targets due to the budget restrictions

RUCK4444

Matic and Fred will be fine i think. Can’t be fixing every position in one summer when money is tight
I think DM is more important than RW, even though RW has been neglected.

Matic legs have gone and Fred isn’t a proper DM. It leaves us having to field Fred and McTominay to make up for not having a single top level DM.

The defence would improve and the players in front would improve also. No one position would have a bigger positive effect than DM in my opinion.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think DM is more important than RW, even though RW has been neglected.

Matic legs have gone and Fred isn’t a proper DM. It leaves us having to field Fred and McTominay to make up for not having a single top level DM.

The defence would improve and the players in front would improve also. No one position would have a bigger positive effect than DM in my opinion.
I don't think there's any top team around that currently fields or can field a single top-tier DM and still be defensively solid. United would still need Pogba to be better defensively, and a sole DM can't make up for his deficiencies. Even City don't play with two AMs anymore (when Kevin de Bruyne would play in the midfield, he'd defend deeper and play more of a CM role).

If we play with just one defensively reliable midfielder, expect us to concede a few chances every match.

RUCK4444

I don't think there's any top team around that currently fields or can field a single top-tier DM and still be defensively solid. United would still need Pogba to be better defensively, and a sole DM can't make up for his deficiencies. Even City don't play with two AMs anymore (when Kevin de Bruyne would play in the midfield, he'd defend deeper and play more of a CM role).

If we play with just one defensively reliable midfielder, expect us to concede a few chances every match.
I wasn’t asking for a single DM formation, I’d partner Pogba with this new signing. But it needs to be a top level DM.

Pogba has shown recently he can play that position to a higher level than he’s shown for much of his time here.
Much in the same way we tend to see the better side of Pogba for France.

Right now with Pogba out injured (and potentially moving on soon) our only proper DM is an ancient Matic, who cannot be relied upon.

When Matic is awful or out injured we are forced to play two decent but limited players in Fred and Scott.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Paolo Maldini:
He told us that it depends on his body. But if he continues like this I cannot see that he wouldn't be with us next season. We are one of the youngest sides in Europe, the team needed a leader like him. We tried to sign him in 2018 but he was with LA Galaxy. We have three players on expiring contracts and others expiring in 2022. It is a normal practice, we are working on it. I always say both sides must be happy to reach a deal, players are professionals and think 100% about the pitch. The hope is to find a deal quickly.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I wasn’t asking for a single DM formation, I’d partner Pogba with this new signing. But it needs to be a top level DM.

Pogba has shown recently he can play that position to a higher level than he’s shown for much of his time here.

Much in the same way we tend to see the better side of Pogba for France.

Right now with Pogba our injured (and potentially moving on soon) our only proper DM is an ancient Matic, who cannot be relied upon.

When Matic is awful or out injured we are forced to play two decent but limited players in Fred and Scott.
I got you, but my point still stands: Pogba isn't defensively capable enough to keep us solid with one top DM. Real Madrid is a good example of this. They have two midfielders who aren't defensively reliable in Modric and Kroos who typically play with Casemiro, yet Real Madrid still concede several chances. They look better with Valverde in the team along with Casemiro as he not only covers more ground, defensively, but also has better defensive awareness.

If we had someone like Kanté or Casemiro alongside Pogba, we'll see a bit of improvement, but I don't think that it'll be enough. Instead of Pogba, we'll need someone like Barella or Goretzka i.e. someone who can defend just fine but also be a big attacking threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.