Transfer Tweets - 2021/22 | Check the OP for blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAF is the GOAT

The alarming thing for me is that we'll wait a whole year for Ole's first option players in the DM and CF roles(lets say Rice and Haaland for the example) when there is a real possibility that they're choose in other clubs and run from us.

Rice will run his fastest If Chelsea would want him(although I don't know why because they have 3 players in his role) and Haaland can choose any club on the planet(Madrid ? city ? PSG ?) and I don't think we have alternatives for both of them.

Matt851

Maybe with the new setup they’ll do things differently, but the same people are there.

Mata got a one year with significantly reduced wages I think
I am sure he is still one of the worlds best paid mascots. The rationale for keeping him around appears to be just be because he is nice

GwilDor

You not telling me you trust James more than Martial. Seriously? :houllier:
I nnow you didn’t ask me, but still.
To be a professional and follow instructions, especially defensively; Yes, i’d trust James over Martial.
To beat his man and/or score a goal; I’d obviously go for Martial. Different player types for differing tasks.

E-mal

To be a professional and follow instructions, especially defensively; Yes, i’d trust James over Martial.
To beat his man and/or score a goal; I’d obviously go for Martial. Different player types for differing tasks.
That's not the main role of a winger mate, it's as negative as they come.

E-mal

It’s not something to sniff at, how many times have our attackers been labelled as lazy for not tracking back and leaving the fullbacks exposed? It can be worth it’s weight in gold, in this regard Dan is an asset as he offers something the others don’t.
Cavani is another attacker who isn’t afraid to track back and do the dirty work, for which he gets rightly praised. It’s no different for Daniel.
But Cavani has value going the other way, no? The primary responsibility of a manutd attacker is to attack.

Last edited:

cyberman

But Cavani has value going the other way, no? The primimart responsibility of a manutd attacker is to attack.
Not if the manager says otherwise? Sir Alex put Rooney out wide for his work rate after all

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is constant pressing from the front considered a negative ? James is pretty damn good at it, to be fair.
Him and Bruno set the tone last week in that respect.

This is going wildly off course though. :D

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
How has Martial been unprofessional?

led_scholes

You not telling me you trust James more than Martial. Seriously? :houllier:
As a backup winger who we need to start 10 times per season? Well, I don't care that much. Talent wise, Martial can do things with an orange that James cannot do even with proper football. However, I prefer Martial as a striker where our only other option is Cavani rather than a winger. We also have to take into consideration Martial's conditioning since he missed almost half of the season last year.

I think keeping James for at least 6 months is a sensible decision for now, which will allow us to send Amad on a loan, rest Rashford and ease Sancho, while we are uncertain of Martial's form or use Martial as a CF. Of course, James is someone who we should not view as long term solution.

Mark Pawelek

Makes no sense to nerf your depth in one area to sort another though. Buying a CM should come through selling/loaning Matic, Lingard and Pereira.

Dan James is good cover for Rashford and Sancho and can play plenty of games in the League Cup, FA Cup, sub for 20mins and weaker CL games.
  • Pereira - can't be sold. No buyers
  • Matic - €5m, at best, at his age.
  • Lingard - €20m? On the last year of his contract.
Which great CDM is available for €25m? This is why United needed to sell James as well. Given United have attacking players like Amad, Pellestri, Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal, who are all, arguably, technically better than James. Maybe not ready for 90 minutes, but surely good for 10 to 20 minutes at the end of a match - like Greenwood was 2019-20 season. Out of the 5, surely one must be worth giving minutes to this season? Which means the attack is: Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno, Mata, Pogba, Sancho, James, + youth prospect (Elanga or Shoretire or Hannibal). 10 attacking players! 11, if we don't manage to sell Lingard!

Pavl3n

His contract expires in 2024... good luck with that Rice.

edit: Oh it has an optional further year too. So that means he's got 4 years to run his contract down.
He'll give his all for another season or two and then he'll get fed up and will demand an exit.
Might even pull off a 'Harry Kane' to get his point across.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We’ve now reached a point where all agents should be negotiating realistic buyouts. Players at these 2nd/3rd tier clubs signing long contracts is completely idiotic. I get that they need security/paid should a bad injury etc happen but they are just compromising their own careers.

Joeace2020

We’ve now reached a point where all agents should be negotiating realistic buyouts. Players at these 2nd/3rd tier clubs signing long contracts is completely idiotic. I get that they need security/paid should a bad injury etc happen but they are just compromising their own careers.
You stated the problem and answered it.

Mark Pawelek

Confess I have barely seen half an hour of Moriba, but is he actually that good and is he a viable option for our midfield needs? Youtube is youtube but nothing particularly stood out from what I have seen
More box-to-box than CDM. Aged 18: no way he plays full matches for United this season. I consider him seriously talented. I predict he'll be in the top 100 within 3 years. Not entirely dissimilar to Pogba; in that he gets around the pitch a lot, very assured in possession including in the box, is happy to run at a defence, good shot. If I were a sporting director, I'd buy. If I were a first team coach, I'd want a CDM instead.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
But Cavani has value going the other way, no? The primimart responsibility of a manutd attacker is to attack.
Dan also has value going the other way. His decision making can be poor but his runs draw defenders and make spaces, and when he gets it right it usually hits the net and is quite often spectacular.
That’s a bit like saying a defenders primary job is to defend and then criticise AWB for being poor attacking.
Not if the manager says otherwise? Sir Alex put Rooney out wide for his work rate after all
This guy gets it. Individual players have different qualities which the manager can draw on for any given opponent. In his own way Dan has value to the team/manager. Nothing wrong with that.

E-mal

His contract expires in 2024... good luck with that Rice.

edit: Oh it has an optional further year too. So that means he's got 4 years to run his contract down.
By next summer he will have just 2 years left, so not that bad.

Pavl3n

1. I'd like you to list the available candidates that need no bedding in and are ready to play week in week out for a team that's competing for the PL and CL.

2. Didn't we just plug the CB and RM leak in the same window? We are one of the few clubs that can spend £100m+ in a window even during a pandemic, signing Haaland / Mbappé won't hinder us from getting others, although landing a Kane definitely would, so I give you that.

3. Our squad is getting better with fewer and fewer leaks after each transfer window passes, that's something that didn't happen under our previous 3 managers. Most players we signed under LVG and José flopped. After 2 full seasons and 2 summers under Ole, we need 4 players to be the best team in the world. An elite GK, a back-up RB, a long-term DM, and a long-term striker. Coming off of the 2018/19 season, our squad was just about top 6 quality. Can't you see how long we've come since then?

4. When the manager and the club are planning for the future, I guarantee you that "it will be 10 years in 2023 since we last won the title" will not be in the conversation, because it's irrelevant and the talking point will be what's best for the club long-term, not panicking about having to win the PL so that there's only a 9-year gap between titles instead of 10 or 11 years for example. Don't get me wrong, winning the PL and CL is absolutely the priority, as it should be, but we won't be panic buying IMO because long-term it'll prove to be the worse decision.

5. Mark my words, next summer we'll sign a long-term DM (Rice or similar level and/or age), a long-term striker (Haaland or similar level and/or age) and we'll win it all :)
Good post.

People just can't wrap their heads around what a transfer deal is consisted of and how do we scout players and which players do we go after.
People think it's like buying a can of beer from the shop. "I need a beer and I need it now. Oh look, Heiniken is available now, it's $1 more than the usual. Feck it. I'll just pay up and I'll take it. Who needs waiting for the 'promo weekend' when it will be available at half price. I want it now.". Well we saw how that worked out with some of our recent signings (Sanchez on top of my head).
People don't understand that you need the right human, the right player. Not just any player as long as he plays in the position.

Or just being short-sighted. The 'How much did Ole spend' bashing wasn't very late to the party either. Stoney very quick to pounce and remind us what's the clubs spending after Sancho's transfer or Sky Sports spouting their serial article about how much Ole's spent. 430m for 13 players. Yet nobody bothers to note that our back line was Valencia-Smalling-Lindelof/Jones-Young, Fred had no clue what's going on, Shaw was thrown down in the dungeons, because the manager had to 'think for him', Pogba was benched because of the manager's ego and Fellaini was bossing our midfield.

13 players of which: Bissaka, Maguire, Varane, Sancho, Bruno and Cavani. Basically he overhauled the team, but this time with quality.

sparx99

Which great CDM is available for €25m? This is why United needed to sell James as well. Given United have attacking players like Amad, Pellestri, Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal, who are all, arguably, technically better than James. Maybe not ready for 90 minutes, but surely good for 10 to 20 minutes at the end of a match - like Greenwood was 2019-20 season. Out of the 5, surely one must be worth giving minutes to this season? Which means the attack is: Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Bruno, Mata, Pogba, Sancho, James, + youth prospect (Elanga or Shoretire or Hannibal). 10 attacking players! 11, if we don't manage to sell Lingard!
So we have 2 players for each of the four attacking roles plus some youth prospects. That’s not excessive especially when Pogba could just as likely be playing centre midfield. Added to which Diallo, Pellestri, Mejbri, Elantra and Shoretire are much better served either in the u23’s or out on loan playing 90mins. James is the guy who is too old to be loaned out and is happy it seems with a squad role.

And it doesn’t need to be £20m/€25m for cdm. We don’t know what our leftover budget is. It could be zero and so all sales are needed to make up a budget for a midfielder. Or we could have £30m left and we want a £50m player. None of know for sure especially as the payment structure can allow for a bigger fee if need be.

AneRu

Which makes the rumored decision by Ole to James when Leicester inquired absolutely moronic. For some reason James is attracting interest from clubs that can and want to pay a good fee for him. We have Matic who is done, McTominay and Fred who are good as defensive B2B midfielders and in this market where clubs on the continent are broke I fail to see why we couldn't sell both Lingard and James so as to finance a move for a DM.

I strongly believe that it is the midfield that will stop us from becoming a truly elite team and to think that we aren't even trying to solve it now and instead choosing to keep James around is seriously driving me mad.

I have no issues with McTominay and Fred but I think both would be better playing next to an actual DM and the team will go up a level if we sign a younger version of Matic to partner one of them depending on the opponent.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The alarming thing for me is that we'll wait a whole year for Ole's first option players in the DM and CF roles(lets say Rice and Haaland for the example) when there is a real possibility that they're choose in other clubs and run from us.
The same was said about Sancho, calm down lad & stop making up scenarios in your head

[/QUOTE]

AneRu

Rice will run his fastest If Chelsea would want him(although I don't know why because they have 3 players in his role) and Haaland can choose any club on the planet(Madrid ? city ? PSG ?) and I don't think we have alternatives for both of them.
The CF role I can understand because Haaland is a Generational player who could transform us into CL contenders. I just don't get it with Rice, he is good but he isn't that great and we won't be able to afford him and Haaland in one window especially if West Ham continue with their absurd valuation.

So we wait another year for Rice before finally completing the rebuild when we could scout a cheaper option as a compromise?

SAF is the GOAT

The CF role I can understand because Haaland is a Generational player who could transform us into CL contenders. I just don't get it with Rice, he is good but he isn't that great and we won't be able to afford him and Haaland in one window especially if West Ham continue with their absurd valuation.

So we wait another year for Rice before finally completing the rebuild when we could scout a cheaper option as a compromise?
Even at 60-70m pounds Rice is overpriced and overrated imo

But if Ole wants him so bad, I think the second Chelsea will contact West ham for him he'll go there with no hesitation. besides - Rice's contract is till 2024+with option for another year.

If he'll want to get out of there he'll have to do a "Harry Kane".

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Really really need to choose wisely which club to send him too.

While he does want to play in the Prem, I would personally send him to a BL club. While not as physical as the Prem, it's the most fast paced league that is comparable to the Prem and would be a good place to develop into a better player.

Sending him to the wrong club might have effects like Gnabry at West Brom. The team's style needs to fit with Diallo otherwise he might just be stuck on the bench and lose confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.