Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

AneRu

I seriously doubt that.
we would have to pick up a player for less than we get for him because there are no RBs at the club anywhere near the level required. The sensible move is to keep them both and relook at it in the 2nd or 3rd phase of the rebuild
This, we have to blood in another youngster through the loan system first before we even consider a signing at RB. Dalot is now a reliable professional, which is more than what you can say about our options right through the spine of the team. Doesn't benefit us a bit to lose AWB for peanuts and and spend at least double that replacing him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Depends entirely on how much activity Ineos are prepared to do.
Well I should think that urgently we need a backup keeper, 2 CB, 1 LB, 2 CM, 1 FW and possibly a winger

that’s 7-8 positions already. We can’t do it all in one window. Let’s readjust our expectations here lads. This is going to take 2 years to sort the squad

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well I should think that urgently we need a backup keeper, 2 CB, 1 LB, 2 CM, 1 FW and possibly a winger

that’s 7-8 positions already. We can’t do it all in one window. Let’s readjust our expectations here lads. This is going to take 2 years to sort the squad
Hopefully, we will be able to bring in a LCB that can also play LB (like Ake or Gvardiol at Man City) and maybe even a RCB that can play RB.

Anyway, I think Dalot is just as good at LB as RB. And if we bring in a good RB we will have Shaw, Malacia, Dalot and a new good RB. Hopefully a flexible CB who can play LB.
But more importantly, hopefully we would bring in a really good fullback and an upgrade on AWB.

Someone who could also be an option if we bring in a new coach at some point that play 343 (like so many young coaches do; Amorim, Potter, Nagelsmann, Alonso etc). In short, we need a better baller than AWB.

golden_blunder

Staff
Hopefully, we will be able to bring in a LCB that can also play LB (like Ake or Gvardiol at Man City) and maybe even a RCB that can play RB.

Anyway, I think Dalot is just as good at LB as RB. And if we bring in a good RB we will have Shaw, Malacia, Dalot and a new good RB. Hopefully a flexible CB who can play LB.
But more importantly, hopefully we would bring in a really good fullback and an upgrade on AWB.

Someone who could also be an option if we bring in a new coach at some point that play 343 (like so many young coaches do; Amorim, Potter, Nagelsmann, Alonso etc). In short, we need a better baller than AWB.
Why is AWB such an issue to you when we have players in the team who have done much worse than him this season?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Why is AWB such an issue to you when we have players in the team who have done much worse than him this season?
He is not a big issue for me. I did just not agree with your argument that we would have to buy a cheaper replacement (than the selling fee).

And keeping him potentially comes with a high cost considering his contract is up next year. So the question is; should we extend? I think that would be repeating prior mistakes extending with a medioker player.

golden_blunder

Staff
He is not a big issue for me. I did just not agree with your argument that we would have to buy a cheaper replacement (than the selling fee).

And keeping him potentially comes with a high cost considering his contract is up next year. So the question is; should we extend? I think that would be repeating prior mistakes extending with a medioker player.
So there’s the issue - you consider him mediocre.

there is a lot worse in the squad, he’s not a priority.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Interesting data. Anyone have comparable for the last couple of seasons prior? Would be interested to know about Forrest for example when they bought loads of players. And our seasons when we bought Ronaldo and Varane, and then last season with Casemiro.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Interesting data. Anyone have comparable for the last couple of seasons prior? Would be interested to know about Forrest for example when they bought loads of players. And our seasons when we bought Ronaldo and Varane, and then last season with Casemiro.
You can find them in the FA's website. They have all of this information available to the public. Regarding Forest, last season, they spent £4.35m in agent fees, which is way less than what they spent this season.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Here’s the fees from 2022-23.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You can find them in the FA's website. They have all of this information available to the public. Regarding Forest, last season, they spent £4.35m in agent fees, which is way less than what they spent this season.
Here’s the fees from 2022-23.
Cheers. That's very interesting. Taking together ourselves and the current top 3 over the last 6 years (2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023, 2023-2024):

Arsenal: 11m, 13m, 16m, 18m, 16m, 24m
City: 24m, 29m, 30m, 35m, 51m, 60m
United: 20m, 27m, 29m, 29m, 24m, 34m
Liverpool: 43m, 30m, 21m, 22m, 33m, 31m

Average per years

Arsenal 16m
City 38m
United 27m
Liverpool 30m

And that's an incredibly haphazard United setup under three different managers while Arsenal appointed Arteta in the 2019-2020 season so all the others have been pretty much going in a clear direction from there (and Arsenal did not have CL money). I'm surprised to see how much more City have been paying in the last couple of years, really huge increase.

klayton88

Let's take those City stats with a pinch of salt. Those are the declared fees.

Last edited:

Dannn411

This reminds meof the time weisgned Maguire. Good defender, massively overpriced when there are several far better ones around Europe cheaper, some far heaper...andheisleft sided,makes no sense
Same. I genuinely do not see what the hype is with this guy. Purposely watched him closely since the hype started and I struggle to see what exactly makes him worth £70m+. These are the type of signings we should not be making.

lysglimt

Scout
This reminds meof the time weisgned Maguire. Good defender, massively overpriced when there are several far better ones around Europe cheaper, some far heaper...andheisleft sided,makes no sense
Apart from him being 4 years younger, taller and with a lot more pace ?

Gordon S

Maguire for about 80m was recordbreaking levels of overpriced.
Branthwaite is about the same size, but much quicker, more athletic, possibly better with the ball as well. And he is also young as far as defenders go. The rumoured 70m is still enough to make me sweat mind you but still offers better value imo

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Correct.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
These signings we're linked with are all going to cost us big money, £70m each. I'm not sure these are the type of signings we should be looking at. Olise, Branthwaite, Neves etc. Unless we have silly amounts to spend, but I doubt that's true.

I'm hoping these new guys have some good, under the radar signings up their sleeves.

Acquire Me

These signings we're linked with are all going to cost us big money, £70m each. I'm not sure these are the type of signings we should be looking at. Olise, Branthwaite, Neves etc. Unless we have silly amounts to spend, but I doubt that's true.

I'm hoping these new guys have some good, under the radar signings up their sleeves.
The media will always link us to the usual suspects. Will be interesting to see what we get in the end.

jesperjaap

Maguire for about 80m was recordbreaking levels of overpriced.
Branthwaite is about the same size, but much quicker, more athletic, possibly better with the ball as well. And he is also young as far as defenders go. The rumoured 70m is still enough to make me sweat mind you but still offers better value imo
Sorry, maybe not clarified my post. Not comparing the two as players, I am comparing my perceived opinions of the levels they are at and can reach in comparison to other players within the market. For example Lukeba moved last summer for less than half that price. I think some of the inflated fees recently are clouding peoples opinions of value, £70m is still a massive fee.

Dannn411

The classic “sell when value is low, buy when high” strategy.
In Antony's case, value will never be high again so its really a choice of sell and cut your losses when you can still get something or deal with getting nothing at all.

Crimson King

I don't think there's much chance of that happening. Selling him will apparently worsen our FFP situation. There's no upside to selling him now was his price tag is far too low.
Yeah it seems unlikely, especially with the reported salary. Nobody else is paying him that

Gordon S

Sorry, maybe not clarified my post. Not comparing the two as players, I am comparing my perceived opinions of the levels they are at and can reach in comparison to other players within the market. For example Lukeba moved last summer for less than half that price. I think some of the inflated fees recently are clouding peoples opinions of value, £70m is still a massive fee.
Understood!
Yes, fully agree that 70m is huge money regardless.
I hope that our new guys in charge have a better eye for talent/value from weaker leagues, we certainly need it.

I feel however that Jarrads combination of being a really big guy and still having good control over his body and feet is something you don`t find too often.
Or maybe i am just scarred of watching guys like Jones and Maguire giving their best go at visual comedy far too often :nervous:

diarm

I would honestly tell the squad we are keeping him. See which ones step forward to say they want to leave if he stays. Sell them and then replace him anyway.

RuudTom83

INEOS and Dave Brailsford were very vocal about meeting the players and finding out about their drive/hunger or whatever words you want to use.

Hearing the rumours of players delaying contract (most likely 100% bollocks tbh) but if true that should be a huge red flag and those individuals need to be binned off asap.

You give 110% no matter who the managers is ffs!

MDFC Manager

I would honestly tell the squad we are keeping him. See which ones step forward to say they want to leave if he stays. Sell them and then replace him anyway.
For once there might actually be enough smarts in the management to do something like that