Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

roseguy64

I have to agree with this tbh. I'm sure a lot of the people criticising the players for potentially wanting clarity on the situation with ETH wouldn't stick it out at a job they hated if they had other better options available to them that might make them happier.

To clarify I don't think that justifies not trying or working hard. To me those are different arguments. You can give your best out of professionalism while still wanting to move on if things are set to continue in a direction you're not happy with. I do not agree with this view that the players aren't trying. They are running. The problems are entirely tactical imo and I've felt that way since the beginning of the season (before that tbh but we were still getting results at that stage).

Most of the players that did seem to be unprofessional in the past have already been gotten rid of (Pogba, Lingard, etc). VDB and Martial might be 2 more but I'd expect both of them are leaving in the summer regardless.
Agree with this post

Woziak

If we sign that Everton CB for anything above 30m we are mad, Cole Palmer was having a field day with him.
He’s good but there’s a reason he was back up CB in the England U21 wining side, his cost should be £40-50m

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Morale is important, but the slightest bit of adversity seems to give people free roam to put in sub par effort.

I work for a tech start up and I think my exec team are fecking useless, but I don't just stop working hard because I don't like my manager. Hell, most people don't like their manager. When you're part of a successful team or company, you should probably think bigger than just your own career. It just seems symptomatic of the squads we've created over the last few managers, maybe I'm being harsh.

I personally think the money aspect comes into play when you say it's "just a job", because it's not. It's the top 1%, so the demands are greater - hence the higher remuneration. I don't think it's you get paid loads, don't have any emotion, but it's just not acceptable to coast at that level with a lot of people depending on your performance.
I think we’re talking past each other a little as my initial comment was with regard to players wanting to see whether ten Hag is staying or going before they state their own intentions. The numbers are far removed from the layman, but the motioning to get out of a working environment that you cannot stand is not dissimilar, imo. In the real world, people line themselves up for jobs elsewhere and will be gone in a flash to their future employer if it goes through. In the interim, you have many forms of conduct, ranging from those who carry on unabated, so much so you’d never know they have an issue. One might class this as consummate professionalism. The spectrum goes straight through to those who obviously down tools and couldn’t care any less about where they currently are. It’s no different to footballers and we can cite professionalism until we’re blue in the face, but the human element will always muddy the proverbial water as players show the same gamut and pay really doesn’t make the waves some believe it should I.e. he’s on £400k p/w so he should be willing to graft more. It is going to come down to the individual as opposed to what they are paid - there’s also the very real issue that some players/people need coddling and optimal conditions to perform to their best, and if they are unhappy, try as they might, they won’t be able to dial in, so it’s really not as simple as some wish it to be painted.

Still, I refuse to believe people don’t see why some players will want to stay/go hinging upon what happens to ten Hag. Ironically enough, it’s professionalism that’s preventing the end of the season bouldering into a ravine - past squads would have leaked their displeasure at every turn *and* consciously put their feet up.

Mylock

He’s good but there’s a reason he was back up CB in the England U21 wining side, his cost should be £40-50m
He's decent at best, agree 30m max, hes been hyped because he is English There are lots of good centre backs out there who won't cost a fortune and are better that what we have got. Look how spurs picked up van de ven 28m.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think we’re talking past each other a little as my initial comment was with regard to players wanting to see whether ten Hag is staying or going before they state their own intentions. The numbers are far removed from the layman, but the motioning to get out of a working environment that you cannot stand is not dissimilar, imo. In the real world, people line themselves up for jobs elsewhere and will be gone in a flash to their future employer if it goes through. In the interim, you have many forms of conduct, ranging from those who carry on unabated, so much so you’d never know they have an issue. One might class this as consummate professionalism. The spectrum goes straight through to those who obviously down tools and couldn’t care any less about where they currently are. It’s no different to footballers and we can cite professionalism until we’re blue in the face, but the human element will always muddy the proverbial water as players show the same gamut and pay really doesn’t make the waves some believe it should I.e. he’s on £400k p/w so he should be willing to graft more. It is going to come down to the individual as opposed to what they are paid - there’s also the very real issue that some players/people need coddling and optimal conditions to perform to their best, and if they are unhappy, try as they might, they won’t be able to dial in, so it’s really not as simple as some wish it to be painted.

Still, I refuse to believe people don’t see why some players will want to stay/go hinging upon what happens to ten Hag. Ironically enough, it’s professionalism that’s preventing the end of the season bouldering into a ravine - past squads would have leaked their displeasure at every turn *and* consciously put their feet up.
I think we are a bit, but this perspective only seems to be an excuse for our squad. For say someone like Onana or Braithwaite, they're just not good enough, even though they're in a really poor working environment as well. Also I don't think we're disagreeing it's down to the individual, I'm saying someone who's on that amount of money and goes through the motions waiting out a manager, is not the individual you want if you want a successful squad.

Also if I look at our contract situations in question rather.

Expiring this year:

Martial
Evans
Heaton

Who cares about any of them staying? Martial is definitely in that camp and everyone has seen he's not the individual that will win us anything.

2025:

Scott (1 year option)
Varane
Maguire (1 year option)
Wan-Bissaka
Diallo (1 year option)
Lindelof
Eriksen
Kambawala (I imagine that will be sorted)

The majority of the fan base don't want any of them to stay past their contracts anyway because we don't think we'll win anything with them.

jesperjaap

Understood!
Yes, fully agree that 70m is huge money regardless.
I hope that our new guys in charge have a better eye for talent/value from weaker leagues, we certainly need it.

I feel however that Jarrads combination of being a really big guy and still having good control over his body and feet is something you don`t find too often.
Or maybe i am just scarred of watching guys like Jones and Maguire giving their best go at visual comedy far too often :nervous:
Personally think its being English has a lot to do with it. We will probably move on a few British players and who is out there attainable that fits our needs. Gone are the days of Robson, Ince, Cole signings we were top for as there is more competition now with premiership money.

Toney, Braithwaite, Archie Gray, Eze….cant think of any other possible targets that are English

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Personally think its being English has a lot to do with it. We will probably move on a few British players and who is out there attainable that fits our needs. Gone are the days of Robson, Ince, Cole signings we were top for as there is more competition now with premiership money.

Toney, Braithwaite, Archie Gray, Eze….cant think of any other possible targets that are English
Solanke.

lysglimt

Scout
Morale is important, but the slightest bit of adversity seems to give people free roam to put in sub par effort.

I work for a tech start up and I think my exec team are fecking useless, but I don't just stop working hard because I don't like my manager. Hell, most people don't like their manager. When you're part of a successful team or company, you should probably think bigger than just your own career. It just seems symptomatic of the squads we've created over the last few managers, maybe I'm being harsh.

I personally think the money aspect comes into play when you say it's "just a job", because it's not. It's the top 1%, so the demands are greater - hence the higher remuneration. I don't think it's you get paid loads, don't have any emotion, but it's just not acceptable to coast at that level with a lot of people depending on your performance.
The problem as I see it isn't that people aren't working. A lot of them are (not all) - but they run around like headless chickens. If we pushed back to our own half and started counter-attacking teams - we would do a lot better. But when we have 4 people near the opponents box. 2 relative immobile players in the middle of the park ( 3o yards behind them) and 4 defenders 30 yards behind them again, it is a dream to play against for our opponents.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The problem as I see it isn't that people aren't working. A lot of them are (not all) - but they run around like headless chickens. If we pushed back to our own half and started counter-attacking teams - we would do a lot better. But when we have 4 people near the opponents box. 2 relative immobile players in the middle of the park ( 3o yards behind them) and 4 defenders 30 yards behind them again, it is a dream to play against for our opponents.
That's a fair point, I guess I'm mainly just irked at yet another report of players waiting out a manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe he should write a book instead. Just give up on this football lark.
And how do you think that book would fair? Attack the shelves or be hidden behind other books, never to be picked up and thrown in the bargain basement bin where it will have no interest then dumped in the bin or some school book fair where kids will look at it and say “who?”

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Pickford.. gulp

I give you the new INEOS cultural reset Manchester United first 11

Pickford
Laird - Braithwaite - Shaw - James
Gray
Mainoo - Eze
Greenwood - Toney - Rashford

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 2:

Despite being linked to United, Branthwaite isn't one of United's top targets for the centre back position.

RuudTom83

There is definitely potential for the outgoings to really help fund the summer if INEOS wanted to go full on with a rebuild.

New CF = Greenwood + McTom + Martial wages. (Fee could realistically be around 40m to put towards a new back-up CF)

New DM = Casemiro/Eriksen/Donny. (Fees and wages saved wouldn’t be huge! but would certainly help.)

LW/RW = Sancho + Rashford or Antony (If you wanted to you could bring in Olise and still have plenty money left over from those sales)

CB = Maguire + Lindelof + Varane wages (Again it might not look like it has huge potential for transfer fees, but even 25m is a good sum to begin looking for a CB)

Juicy Juiced

Yep, the fact that we're shite atm and there's not a single player that's gone on to do better since leaving us speaks more to the characters we seemed to have accumulated.
What is more funny, players who we hated most have decent career after us, Di Maria, Lukaku , Smalling, all others were forgoten.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There is definitely potential for the outgoings to really help fund the summer if INEOS wanted to go full on with a rebuild.

New CF = Greenwood + McTom + Martial wages. (Fee could realistically be around 40m to put towards a new back-up CF)

New DM = Casemiro/Eriksen/Donny. (Fees and wages saved wouldn’t be huge! but would certainly help.)

LW/RW = Sancho + Rashford or Antony (If you wanted to you could bring in Olise and still have plenty money left over from those sales)

CB = Maguire + Lindelof + Varane wages (Again it might not look like it has huge potential for transfer fees, but even 25m is a good sum to begin looking for a CB)
Bold of you to assume clubs will be interested in these players, or even if they are interested in leaving.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I'm happy to sign him as long as he gets rid of that bum fluff. What is that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 2:

More info:
  • PSG are also tracking Sesko
  • Toney's not a priority for Chelsea & Arsenal
    • Sesko & Evan Ferguson are higher prioities (also at United)

EDIT: Added corroborating Tweet & provided more details from the 1st article

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems a pretty reasonable fee. At a great age. This type of signing would make a lot of sense.

cj_sparky

A signing of Sesko or similar for that sort of fee and lowish wages would be the sort of transfer I'd prefer over an Ivan Toney who would likely cost more and according to a recent article would be demanding a stupid wage.

didz

Sesko has only just found his feet in the Bundesliga in the past couple of months. It would be damn near identical to the Hojlund signing. Personally I think it would be a good idea to go into next season with at least one attacker who wasn't a project.

Uniquim

Says in the article 'Dortmund paid an up-front fee of €3.5million to take Sancho on loan in January, with a further €4m in potential add-ons.'

So it's at most €2m, with another €2m for the final, but likely less.

didz

Says in the article 'Dortmund paid an up-front fee of €3.5million to take Sancho on loan in January, with a further €4m in potential add-ons.'

So it's at most €2m, with another €2m for the final, but likely less.
So if Dortmund win the Champions League, then we're almost at 20% in the Ashworth fund? Result!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Since we are linked with Todibo:

Source (Tier 3):
  • Atlético Madrid have made Jean-Clair Todibo their number 1 choice to bolster their defence next season.
  • Unhappy with their defensive line, Los Colchoneros are reportedly considering breaking the bank to lure the rock of Nice.