Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I would honestly tell the squad we are keeping him. See which ones step forward to say they want to leave if he stays. Sell them and then replace him anyway.
The new owners should use this approach, someone should advice them this.

BuzzKillington

I would honestly tell the squad we are keeping him. See which ones step forward to say they want to leave if he stays. Sell them and then replace him anyway.
What if the ones who want to leave are our better players and it’s just the Antony’s and Amrabats who want to stay?

Withnail

What if the ones who want to leave are our better players and it’s just the Antony’s and Amrabats who want to stay?
Well neither are getting a choice. Amrabat won't be made permanent and selling Antony would lower our budget due to stupid price we bought him for and the vagaries of FFP.

But I take the point, who's up for renewal anyway?

SATA

These thick players need to know they are playing for the club, the badge and the supporters, and not whoever is the manager

didz

Well neither are getting a choice. Amrabat won't be made permanent and selling Antony would lower our budget due to stupid price we bought him for and the vagaries of FFP.

But I take the point, who's up for renewal anyway?
Varane, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Martial and Heaton off the top of my head.

I think we're alright.

seasidedaz

All this uncertainty need’s nipping in bud this is becoming tiresome is he staying his is not. United seem to have a manager update every day it’s possible it is now affecting result’s. It’s time for INEOS To deal with all the speculation and put it to bed. A cup semi final needs to be prepared for with absolutely no distraction’s what so ever.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
INEOS and Dave Brailsford were very vocal about meeting the players and finding out about their drive/hunger or whatever words you want to use.

Hearing the rumours of players delaying contract (most likely 100% bollocks tbh) but if true that should be a huge red flag and those individuals need to be binned off asap.

You give 110% no matter who the managers is ffs!
This is the really weird thing about work - we expect footballers to accept conditions we won't in our own working lives unless we have no choice.

If your job is shit or making you unhappy, you aren't likely to stick it out nor give your all to it for any longer than you have to. You might even phone it in whilst actively taking every opportunity to go for interviews elsewhere until you secure new employment. Football is a job, and to a lot of players, logically something they always have eyes on swivel towards their next move or choice of action.

Besides, contracts state they are coming in to play football and yet they're suited up for basketball every game; I'm sure some of the players hate what they are being asked to do and will be considering their options should ten Hag stay. If they can't get parity elsewhere, their equivalent of being 'forced' to stay will be put into practice.

Loyalty also goes both ways and the club might be seen as having a duty to correct conditions otherwise it's not an environment some players will want to be in anyway.

Apart from the inordinate wage we pay, I can't imagine most are enjoying being dragged over coals for every game we lose, being called all sorts and constantly having their professionalism called into question. I should imagine the environment to be incredibly toxic and not a pleasure like it should be.

It's also ironic that these stupid contracts have us bound and sealed when both parties might otherwise want away from each other - for as many as we want culled, it may well be as many praying to be culled; fully paid up and out the door.

didz

I was reading 7 on a website there. They didn't name them obviously. Yeah that's not a hugely concerning list, is it?
Errm.. Forson? I can't think of another and yeah, still not concerning.

Edit: Christian Eriksen's is also due to expire next year, but I'm not sure if we have a +1. Though it would likely hardly matter.

Edit 2: Super Jonny Evans!

RuudTom83

This is the really weird thing about work - we expect footballers to accept conditions we won't in our own working lives unless we have no choice.

If your job is shit or making you unhappy, you aren't likely to stick it out nor give your all to it for any longer than you have to. You might even phone it in whilst actively taking every opportunity to go for interviews elsewhere until you secure new employment. Football is a job, and to a lot of players, logically something they always have eyes on swivel towards their next move or choice of action.
Tbh I always fail to see the connections between footballers and joe public working a 9 to 5.

The similarities are about 0.1% making any comparison somewhat farfetched to say the least.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Besides, contracts state they are coming in to play football and yet they're suited up for basketball every game; I'm sure some of the players hate what they are being asked to do and will be considering their options should ten Hag stay. If they can't get parity elsewhere, their equivalent of being 'forced' to stay will be put into practice.

Loyalty also goes both ways and the club might be seen as having a duty to correct conditions otherwise it's not an environment some players will want to be in anyway.

Apart from the inordinate wage we pay, I can't imagine most are enjoying being dragged over coals for every game we lose, being called all sorts and constantly having their professionalism called into question. I should imagine the environment to be incredibly toxic and not a pleasure like it should be.

It's also ironic that these stupid contracts have us bound and sealed when both parties might otherwise want away from each other - for as many as we want culled, it may well be as many praying to be culled; fully paid up and out the door.
Apart from the fact it's elite sport. In what way is that an elite mentality? The comparison makes little sense because this isn't some 9-5.

The second bolded part is weird as on one hand you said they have the right to phone it in if they're unhappy, but also unhappy about their professionalism questioned?

It's either elite sport, compensated as such and you give your all or it's akin to a 9-5 and they should all be on 30k a year. I don't think you can try and draw parallels.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's a job. You perceive it as something else. Players have come out and stated as such. You also completely belie the human element - there's no soul who opts for an unhappy working environment over a happy or happier one if pay is the same, why would they/you or anyone else?

It's also beyond 9-5; it's being paid by someone else for the shift you put in.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It's a job. You perceive it as something else. Players have come out and stated as such. You also completely belie the human element - there's no soul who opts for an unhappy working environment over a happy or happier one if pay is the same, why would they/you or anyone else?

You can't apply this logic to footballers though. They're paid exorbitant sums. Literally life changing sums of money they make in the matter of weeks.

99% of the rest of us have to work to live.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You can't apply this logic to footballers though. They're paid exorbitant sums. Literally life changing sums of money they make in the matter of weeks.

99% of the rest of us have to work to live.
It's relative. Their wage is dwarved by others; they still feel, and who, in their right mind, is going to weigh up two options that pay the same and pick the one making them more unhappy?

saivet

INEOS and Dave Brailsford were very vocal about meeting the players and finding out about their drive/hunger or whatever words you want to use.

Hearing the rumours of players delaying contract (most likely 100% bollocks tbh) but if true that should be a huge red flag and those individuals need to be binned off asap.

You give 110% no matter who the managers is ffs!
I see it the other way - if I was a player, I'd be thinking the same thing. Know who you manager, whether you dislike them or love them is a pretty valid reason to delay commitment to a new contract. If you think ETH is the best manager and love working with him, I'd think twice about signing a new contract and if you can't stand him I'd also want his future clarified. It makes sense from a players perspective, even if they're neutral as a new manager may have a different view of them and influence their decision in wanting to stay or leave.

saik

If they are waiting for the manager to get the sack before deciding their futures, I'd keep ETH for that fact alone and tell them to leave.

Honestly speaking, who in our squad is elite enough for us to actually miss them if they leave ? The only one I'd said is Mainoo, as we never seem to sign midfielders like him even if our life depended on it. Literally everyone else is not elite enough that I'll lose sleep over if they left tomorrow.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

You're the one trying to rationalize someone not putting their best effort in. Why wouldn't they just do it again when they don't fancy it with the next manager? That's exactly what some of these players have done.

I don't care if they want to move on, that's a totally reasonable position to have if you don't like where you work. Not putting your best effort which directly affects all your co-workers is unprofessional and selfish.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

What an utter waste of talent Van de Beek is.

He has flopped under so many managers and different teams. Cannot wait to see him gone permanently.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You're the one trying to rationalize someone not putting their best effort in. Why wouldn't they just do it again when they don't fancy it with the next manager? That's exactly what some of these players have done.

I don't care if they want to move on, that's a totally reasonable position to have if you don't like where you work. Not putting your best effort which directly affects all your co-workers is unprofessional and selfish.
Because once again, players are human beings, even if professional, morale can tank and then performance goes through the floor. I don’t know what you gauge as best effort because one can run and output in a way the data might not refute, but the mind and the heart might not be in it and it’s not just a case of turning a switch on and off. Players slump in this way.

And when you say rationalise, it does strike as odd. Work misery is work misery. The common counter is to state how much these players earn next to the layman and that’s that as if it’s that simple and relativity doesn’t exist, meanwhile you have arguably the best manager in the world stating he’s hanging them up because of burn out and the energy it takes to fire up a club being too much essentially, he’s talking about stress, whilst being recognised as the best 1 or 2 ranked manager on the planet. Take out the human element and the fact he earns a fortune relative to the regular Joe, and he should never leave, being as top of his profession as he is.

Bottom line is morale might well be even more important in their field than ‘real life’. Given the difference even a few percentage dropping can constitute.

Dazzmondo

I like Branthwaite. I do think he's good enough for Utd. However, considering how many players we need to sign in the summer, £70m would be an unwise investment in a defender imo. Don't think we should be going past £50m for a defender, no matter how good they are (and Branthwaite isn't a world class cb at this point).

Of the players we've been linked with, the only one worth paying over £50m for would be Joao Neves imo. I'm convinced he's a very special talent who will be considered world class very soon.

Dazzmondo

I have to agree with this tbh. I'm sure a lot of the people criticising the players for potentially wanting clarity on the situation with ETH wouldn't stick it out at a job they hated if they had other better options available to them that might make them happier.

To clarify I don't think that justifies not trying or working hard. To me those are different arguments. You can give your best out of professionalism while still wanting to move on if things are set to continue in a direction you're not happy with. I do not agree with this view that the players aren't trying. They are running. The problems are entirely tactical imo and I've felt that way since the beginning of the season (before that tbh but we were still getting results at that stage).

Most of the players that did seem to be unprofessional in the past have already been gotten rid of (Pogba, Lingard, etc). VDB and Martial might be 2 more but I'd expect both of them are leaving in the summer regardless.

Last edited:

diarm

We need to stop signing off on loan deals with options to buy. We either loan players out because we want them to get minutes and develop, or we loan them to get their wage off the books when we're unable to sell. A mandatory future fee is ok as a last resort, but this option bollocks has no upside for us.

If he's crap on loan, we lose 12 months worth of value off his contract and they dump him back onto us with less interest and feck all value.
If he's class on loan, they get to sign him for cheaper than we might've been able to get on the open market.

diarm

Let them leave. Talent without application and effort is worthless.

Lads didn't want to run for Van Gaal, didn't like getting criticised by Jose, don't like being held accountable by Ten Hag. The same fellas would've been whinging under Pep - the difference being is Pep would've shown them the door at the first available window.

People forget how ruthless the great managers were/are. Not selling, releasing, dropping fellas who have consistently let them down is the single biggest criticism I'd level at every coach we've had since Fergie, to the extent I suspect there have been forces at play within the club that have tied their hands when it comes to certain players/brands.

James35

Donny van de Bleak. What a buy he has been.

This club has made some monumental feck ups over the past 10 years. It goes beyond misfortune when you sign so many flops and are borderline dog shit every season.

Juicy Juiced

Not to mention being lazy and selfish on some jobs can lead to big problems or even deaths of(oil rigs, heavy machinery, health care ect).
If the player is uhappy, maybe he should work harder and Real or Barca will come for him.

No wonder 95% of our players become irellevant when they move on. There is no ride like our gravy train ride since 2013.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If we sign that Everton CB for anything above 30m we are mad, Cole Palmer was having a field day with him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because once again, players are human beings, even if professional, morale can tank and then performance goes through the floor. I don’t know what you gauge as best effort because one can run and output in a way the data might not refute, but the mind and the heart might not be in it and it’s not just a case of turning a switch on and off. Players slump in this way.

And when you say rationalise, it does strike as odd. Work misery is work misery. The common counter is to state how much these players earn next to the layman and that’s that as if it’s that simple and relativity doesn’t exist, meanwhile you have arguably the best manager in the world stating he’s hanging them up because of burn out and the energy it takes to fire up a club being too much essentially, he’s talking about stress, whilst being recognised as the best 1 or 2 ranked manager on the planet. Take out the human element and the fact he earns a fortune relative to the regular Joe, and he should never leave, being as top of his profession as he is.

Bottom line is morale might well be even more important in their field than ‘real life’. Given the difference even a few percentage dropping can constitute.
Morale is important, but the slightest bit of adversity seems to give people free roam to put in sub par effort.

I work for a tech start up and I think my exec team are fecking useless, but I don't just stop working hard because I don't like my manager. Hell, most people don't like their manager. When you're part of a successful team or company, you should probably think bigger than just your own career. It just seems symptomatic of the squads we've created over the last few managers, maybe I'm being harsh.

I personally think the money aspect comes into play when you say it's "just a job", because it's not. It's the top 1%, so the demands are greater - hence the higher remuneration. I don't think it's you get paid loads, don't have any emotion, but it's just not acceptable to coast at that level with a lot of people depending on your performance.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not to mention being lazy and selfish on some jobs can lead to big problems or even deaths of(oil rigs, heavy machinery, health care ect).
If the player is uhappy, maybe he should work harder and Real or Barca will come for him.

No wonder 95% of our players become irellevant when they move on. There is no ride like our gravy train ride since 2013.
Yep, the fact that we're shite atm and there's not a single player that's gone on to do better since leaving us speaks more to the characters we seemed to have accumulated.