g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Shite way to treat De Gea. People have short memories and forget he’s been a runnaway standout player for us in various seasons, when all around him was shite.

Zed 101

I think this throws criticism on ETH unfairly, we do not know how much he was consulted prior to the contract extension being offered, I do not think this is a good way for the club to treat any player let alone one who has given so much service and loyalty to the club, but I suspect that it has more to do with Murtough and co not being able to organise a pee up in a brewery, and is symptomatic of the way thsi club has handled contracts, renewals and negotiations for too long, so maybe ETH is right to put his foot down

Syphon Wallet

My view on this.
We offered this contract to David a while ago, we were planning to keep him as no1, but on reduced new contract.
He's delayed in signing that, and we have since made progress on signing Onana.
David has now decided to take our offer, and we have said erm this is awkward, but we can now only offer you a contract as a backup keeper, at a reduced rate.

It may suck how we are treating him, but there's no real nice way when we want to replace him, not paying 200k a week for a backup just to be nice.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The way these tweets sound makes the club look bad and I'm wondering when they offered the extention in the first place. I've been wanting the club to be more ruthless and cut ties more quickly with underperformers and I'm glad they make the decision that is best for the team instead of sticking to a player because of his massive history here. On the other hand not every player has played here for 12 years and 9 of those at an extremely high level. I understand that the uncertainty at the GK position combined with FFP and transfer uncertainty this summer might have left them no choice but to keep their options open like they did and if they offered it during the start or before the season I still think United are in the right, but if it all happened post-season it is a bit of a scummy move towards a man that kept us in relevancy for many years with game-winning saves. I hope he goes, but for it to end like this is very sad.
Yeah, the wording is very interesting. Luckhurst mentioned a while back that there was only an agreement on broad terms but never a total agreement from both sides. My guess is that de Gea agreed on the broad terms a while back and was waiting for a formal offer to sign, but he didn't get one from the club. He then eventually got an updated preliminary offer from us with a less valuable overall package, and now he's unwilling to accept that.

I don't think there was ever a formal agreement from de Gea, more so an agreement on the broad terms that de Gea thought was a "done deal". This is similar to the broad agreement we had with Barcelona on Frenkie de Jong last summer, which allowed Laporta to state that he never accepted a formal offer for Frenkie last summer.

EDIT: Never mind; there was a formal agreement from de Gea as he did indeed put his signature in, but then the club backed out of the whole deal. It looks like they were convinced by de Gea's form, and then his poorer moments started to come to the fore, which resulted in the club re-evaluating de Gea.

Last edited:

sparx99

Greed cost Rabiot AGAIN.

Funny isn't it. Rabiot now gets to stay at Juventus on 7m Euros net a season playing Conference League (if they don't get kicked out) instead of earning similar, a signing on fee and playing CL.

Dan_F

Holding onto Henderson makes sense but do you really believe DDG's situation is some sort of negotiating masterclass? We haven't even signed or are close to signing a keeper it seems.

Maybe if we had signed someone already it may have been a good move.

But I also think there is a big difference between being ruthless and dithering and being indecisive about a decision.

At best the club made an offer, realised they made a mistake and are backtracking, which still looks a bit amateurish.
No ignore me, I didn’t realise we’d offered an even lower contract. We’re just dumb.

Cantona in disguise

Shite way to treat De Gea. People have short memories and forget he’s been a runnaway standout player for us in various seasons, when all around him was shite.
I love the man. He was great for us over many seasons.

Doesn't escape the fact he delayed signing a contract to see what his options were (no problem with that he's has earned that right.) So united had to act if he had of just said stuff it im leaving on the last day and they had no backup plan everyone would be saying united are amateurs etc. Looks like they have a plan for a new number one.

Damned if they do damned if they don't.

Acquire Me

People have criticised and questioned our business around transfers and salaries for years. Wanting us to be more ruthless. Now when we are, the same people are unhappy for us bringing the ruthlessness.

I love it. We need to get rid of the "United tax" and be ruthless in these type of dealings.

Sid234

People have criticised and questioned our business around transfers and salaries for years. Wanting us to be more ruthless. Now when we are, the same people are unhappy for us bringing the ruthlessness.

I love it. We need to get rid of the "United tax" and be ruthless in these type of dealings.
agreed - we need to really take a hardline stance this window, it'll take a while to undo years of shitty negotiation from Ed Woodward & co

LordSpud

The problem is it tends to get later and later in the window, we end up panicking and get 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice targets at ridiculous prices. And so the cycle continues.

Acquire Me

agreed - we need to really take a hardline stance this window, it'll take a while to undo years of shitty negotiation from Ed Woodward & co
It will take some time, but word travels fast. We will lose out some targets, but in the end it will be worth it.

The problem is it tends to get later and later in the window, we end up panicking and get 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice targets at ridiculous prices. And so the cycle continues.
I think we will see a very different approach and outcome this window. The cycle is about to be broken imo.

saivet

Being ruthless wouldn't have resulted in him being offered two contracts in the first place. If this is what we call ruthlessness then we're not very good at it, as it appears indecisive and a bit lucky.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Being ruthless wouldn't have resulted in him being offered two contracts in the first place. If this is what we call ruthlessness then we're not very good at it, as it appears indecisive and a bit lucky.
What? So being ruthless now means not offering a contract at all?

How about being interested in a player but then not baulking at demands.Going back in to see if they’re still interested but more open to actually negotiating this time due to him being a free agent. Then still not baulking at demands. Sounds quite ruthless to me & pretty darn decisive as well.

Accepting the terms and signing anyway, now that would be silly.

James35

Greedy but once again don’t blame anyone talking to United that asks for the ridiculous. I think it will happen with everyone we attempt to sign in one way or the other. We will overpay just within budget or we sign no one, hopefully with new owners in, this farce will eventually change and we’ll become more respected in the transfer market.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Scummy of the club, he deserves a lot better.
But does he? Maybe I am biased because of how much he obviously wanted away, especially during the run in towards the end of the first season under van Gaal where I feel like he phoned it in massively.

Is it the greatest? No but this isn't a massive affront to a club legend (which I don't believe he is) this is a professional sports team making a decision in its.best interest.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I dont know why you all are shitting on Murtough and Arnold. They are still new, learning on the job. Give them some time(like a decade) and we will be well run like Man City.

mancsarered

Don't know why everyone is on edge about this window. We signed a 12 year old left back from Watford.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: What you on about?
I wouldn't bother. This guy thought we were in for Mount and Caicedo. He's not very objective when it comes to our transfer dealings and I'm being generous.

astracrazy

Dunno why people think if someone's been here for a long time they aren't entitled to be treated fairly. Imagine you are called into the office of your boss after 10 years of doing solid work, and offered a 20% raise - you sign the contract, and 2 weeks later your manager tells you - "nah sorry, we can't give it to you. We don't think you deserve it". It doesn't matter if your wages were good from the start, anyone would be pretty mad if a company pulled a stunt like that.
If between the time the contract was offered and me deciding to sign it I mucked up a fair few times costing the company, then it wouldn't be much of a surprise to be fair.

saivet

What? So being ruthless now means not offering a contract at all?

How about being interested in a player but then not baulking at demands.Going back in to see if they’re still interested but more open to actually negotiating this time due to him being a free agent. Then still not baulking at demands. Sounds quite ruthless to me & pretty darn decisive as well.

Accepting the terms and signing anyway, now that would be silly.
Sounds like poor planning to me. Not sure how offering a given salary then reducing it a few months or weeks later is decisive. We learned nothing new about DDG towards the end of this season.

The biggest issue to me is that the club thought offering DDG a contract of 150k to 200k a week was a good idea in the first place.

Accepting the terms would also be silly, even more silly but just because the desired outcome is better doesn't mean it's decisive or ruthless, certainly not for me anyway.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Sounds like poor planning to me. Not sure how offering a given salary then reducing it a few months or weeks later is decisive. We learned nothing new about DDG towards the end of this season.

The biggest issue to me is that the club thought offering DDG a contract of 150k to 200k a week was a good idea in the first place.

Accepting the terms would also be silly, even more silly but just because the desired outcome is better doesn't mean it's decisive or ruthless, certainly not for me anyway.
Hang on…you’re talking about DDG?

I thought (judging from what you quoted) we were talking about Rabiot

Cathy Ferguson

Mount 55m
Onana 50m
Höjlund 50m

We would still need to sell to finance those 3 buys. And we would enter the season without a reliable no 9. City won't fear us that is for sure.