Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannn411

Utterly idiotic of us to even offer the contract in the first place. Clear as day that he did not deserve one. He's well wtihin his rights to accept the contract if offered.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I mean what would be a drastic reduction on his current contract? 200k? That’s still more than almost all top 1st choice keepers currently make.

scottser

that's a shite way to treat big save dave, particularly when the likes of maguire is still club captain and martial swanning around on his golden crutches. it wouldn't surprise me if he fecked off and didn't look back.

lysglimt

Scout
If this is how we have behaved against a guy who has been with us for 10 years, then we really have no class whatsoever. Not offering a new contract, that is fine. But if we seriously offer him a contract which he signs, and then we pull out of it - that is about as low as it gets.

Suv666

If this is how we have behaved against a guy who has been with us for 10 years, then we really have no class whatsoever. Not offering a new contract, that is fine. But if we seriously offer him a contract which he signs, and then we pull out of it - that is about as low as it gets.
We have a new manager who’s still assessing players it’s perfectly reasonable for him to change his mind. Its not like we broke a contract. We offered, he agreed, shite performances we back out. Perfectly reasonable imo.

Dunno why people think if someone’s been here for a long time they are entitled to special treatment. At the end of the day you’ll get paid what the manager thinks you’re worth. Your tenure doesn’t matter.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We have a new manager who’s still assessing players it’s perfectly reasonable for him to change his mind. Its not like we broke a contract. We offered, he agreed, shite performances we back out. Perfectly reasonable imo.

Dunno why people think if someone’s been here for a long time they are entitled to special treatment. At the end of the day you’ll get paid what the manager thinks you’re worth. Your tenure doesn’t matter.
He's not an unknown quantity. There is no "we're still assessing him" here.

New manager or not, we have an entire football operations department that's supposed to provide continuity over these things. Going into last season, we should have known whether we were keeping him or letting him go.

This idea that the manager should be the sole assessor and decision maker is the reason we have players like Martial surviving every managerial change and now going into his 9th season at the club.

Suv666

He's not an unknown quantity. There is no "we're still assessing him" here.

New manager or not, we have an entire football operations department that's supposed to provide continuity over these things. Going into last season, we should have known whether we were keeping him or letting him go.

This idea that the manager should be the sole assessor and decision maker is the reason we have players like Martial surviving every managerial change and now going into his 9th season at the club.
He is an unknown quantity for Ten Hag it doesn’t matter what Arnold or Fred the Red thinks.

I’m sure he’s not the sole assessor but the manager is the primary assessor if he wants a player in his squad and at what cost. It would be stupid to force De Gea on him if he doesn’t see him in his plans. Its not like De Gea is a top performer anyway, best days are clearly past and the mistakes are piling up.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He is an unknown quantity for Ten Hag it doesn’t matter what Arnold or Fred the Red thinks.

I’m sure he’s not the sole assessor but the manager is the primary assessor if he wants a player in his squad and at what cost. It would be stupid to force De Gea on him if he doesn’t see him in his plans. Its not like De Gea is a top performer anyway, best days are clearly past and the mistakes are piling up.
My point is that somebody at the club should've made the decision going into last season that there would be no new contract for De Gea. It was obvious to everyone that the time to replace him was long overdue.

croadyman

Yeah whatever you might think about him needing to move in a different direction this is a proper classless way of going about letting him go

scottser

agreed. he's been a fine servant to the club and doesn't deserve to be fecked around like that.

edcunited1878

Sounds like the new negotiatior, the executive fella from Adidas - Matt Hargreaves, may have overtaken the negotiations and was given a clean slate...and this was his second move, with Zidane Iqbal being his first move.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't really like the way De Gea's exit has been handled in terms of his send-off but if it is indeed EtH that's behind this (I can never discount bullshit briefing from the club), fair fecking play for being ruthless.

Much as I'd have loved to see Dave get a proper send-off at OT, he has been getting paid way, way over market rate based on his performances for quite a while and if I am to keep the same energy I have for dross like Maguire et. al., de Gea also needs to go.

It's just a question of budget and priorities at this point.

croadyman

Sounds like the new negotiatior, the executive fella from Adidas - Matt Hargreaves, may have overtaken the negotiations and was given a clean slate...and this was his second move, with Zidane Iqbal being his first move.
Yeah he might actually get a chance under the new ownership (fingers crossed for Jassim) but others are vulnerable

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@SilentWitness

What’s your opinion about Branthwaite mate?

He has been linked to Liverpool, United & West Ham.

It’s a player I’ve kept an eye on developing because how he is supposed to be good with both feet so can give us a different options to Martinez & Maguire.

lysglimt

Scout

Dunno why people think if someone's been here for a long time they aren't entitled to be treated fairly. Imagine you are called into the office of your boss after 10 years of doing solid work, and offered a 20% raise - you sign the contract, and 2 weeks later your manager tells you - "nah sorry, we can't give it to you. We don't think you deserve it". It doesn't matter if your wages were good from the start, anyone would be pretty mad if a company pulled a stunt like that.

And your reasoning is just bizarre - there is no way we offered him a contract, he signed it and United then held on to the contract for 1 month noticed how his performances deteriorated and pulled the plug. If United wanted him to sign, they would have signed the contract as soon as he did so they could get this over with and move on to other areas they needed strenthening.

The only other explanation I cam imagine is that DDG sat on the contract for a few months without signing it, and during that time United changed their mind - but if that was the case, why not inform him that the offer was off the table ?

So it's not about what the manager thinks you are worth - if that was the case I would have been ok with it. This is a case of us offering him something and without informing him, we change the offer to obviously something a lot worse - and no matter how you try to justify it, it is just a classless thing to do.

saivet

I don't really like the way De Gea's exit has been handled in terms of his send-off but if it is indeed EtH that's behind this (I can never discount bullshit briefing from the club), fair fecking play for being ruthless.

Much as I'd have loved to see Dave get a proper send-off at OT, he has been getting paid way, way over market rate based on his performances for quite a while and if I am to keep the same energy I have for dross like Maguire et. al., de Gea also needs to go.

It's just a question of budget and priorities at this point.
But it would have also been him to give the first contract the okay. I don't think anyone comes out of it well. I'd argue he should have said he wanted a new GK and DDG to leave earlier.

Chairman Steve

You can say it’s classless and dickish if that Dan Sheldon tweet is to be believed, but on the other hand it is a sign of ruthlessness and you’ve got to be a bastard sometimes if you want to reach the top.

And we have lacked ruthlessness with players over the past 10 years, as we coddled constantly underperforming players and rewarded mediocrity.

If this was Ferguson doing this as manager back in the 90s and 00s when he was really ruthless, everyone would have accepted it and not questioned otherwise.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
But it would have also been him to give the first contract the okay. I don't think anyone comes out of it well. I'd argue he should have said he wanted a new GK and DDG to leave earlier.
It definitely leaves a sour taste in the mouth but at the same time if I was getting paid 3x my real rate (because that's what Dave has been paid for his recent deal), going down to market if he wants to stay so much is hardly a huge ask.

The reason he'll leave now is because the Saudi money is on the table, so let's not pretend he's innocent in all of this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
@SilentWitness

What’s your opinion about Branthwaite mate?

He has been linked to Liverpool, United & West Ham.

It’s a player I’ve kept an eye on developing because how he is supposed to be good with both feet so can give us a different options to Martinez & Maguire.
I think he will get a chance this season beside Tarkowski. Mina and Coady have already been let go. Looks like we are open to offers for Holgate too. Godfrey I think will stay just for versatility.

Dan_F

If we had sold Henderson and openly released De Gea, we’d be having our pants pulled down by every team with a half decent keeper. The club looks like it’s been pretty ruthless for once and everyone is still moaning :lol:

saivet

If we had sold Henderson and openly released De Gea, we’d be having our pants pulled down by every team with a half decent keeper. The club looks like it’s been pretty ruthless for once and everyone is still moaning :lol:
Holding onto Henderson makes sense but do you really believe DDG's situation is some sort of negotiating masterclass? We haven't even signed or are close to signing a keeper it seems.

Maybe if we had signed someone already it may have been a good move.

But I also think there is a big difference between being ruthless and dithering and being indecisive about a decision.

At best the club made an offer, realised they made a mistake and are backtracking, which still looks a bit amateurish.

Dazzmondo

The way we've treated David is absolutely disgusting. Regardless of whether or not he should be our keeper next season he's been an incredible player for us for the last 10 years.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
The way these tweets sound makes the club look bad and I'm wondering when they offered the extention in the first place. I've been wanting the club to be more ruthless and cut ties more quickly with underperformers and I'm glad they make the decision that is best for the team instead of sticking to a player because of his massive history here. On the other hand not every player has played here for 12 years and 9 of those at an extremely high level. I understand that the uncertainty at the GK position combined with FFP and transfer uncertainty this summer might have left them no choice but to keep their options open like they did and if they offered it during the start or before the season I still think United are in the right, but if it all happened post-season it is a bit of a scummy move towards a man that kept us in relevancy for many years with game-winning saves. I hope he goes, but for it to end like this is very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.