Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Is it really that bad a deal when you think about it?

Look at out last 10 years of outlays, what we've got from the player and then how much we recouped.
7m for a season is probably actually good value.
As long as he's not awful obviously.
Assuming we'd also be paying his wages, it's the equivalent of purchasing a 35m player on a five year contract. Not good value for a squad player who's filling in temporarily due to injuries.

2E_MUFC

Watched almost every Chelsea game last year and everytime he played he did something stupid or showed that he can't handle playing for a top club. I saw us linked to Tagliafico as well in the Transfer Tweets, would prefer him 10/10 times. A fighter with a good mentality instead of a shakey player like Cucurella. If I were to choose about loaning him for 7m or not get a left back at all I'd choose the latter. People on here really telling themselves they're getting the Brighton version when in reality they'll be coming for his head after watching him in action for 30mins in our shirt.
If you watched every chelsea game. You would’ve seen they was all terrible. We won’t pay a 7mil loan fee, no chance.

city-puma

We have been offered Hojbjerg? this mean we could negotiate a good fee. Reading earlier someone mentioned £35 million?
£35m would be a terrible fee of Hojbjerg. Not worth more than £20m max.
[/QUOTE]
That’s way too much, isn’t that? No more than 5m.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
If you watched every chelsea game. You would’ve seen they was all terrible. We won’t pay a 7mil loan fee, no chance.
Yes and most of the culprits have been replaced, just like Cucurella is about to be. Says something that they rate Maatsen higher than their 60m purchase, doesn't it?

You have way too much faith in this club to believe that last part. You have seen how they do business when they're desperate. Watch them pay it.

Lights Out

We wouldn’t pay the £7m loan fee for Felix so I’d be surprised if we paid it for Cucurella.
I read £2m yesterday?

Anyway, midfielders? Surely if we haven’t been able to afford Amrabat for £25m then where are we getting £35m for Hoijberg?

So much crap floating around

Marvin-ator

How bad is this Shaw injury??

Malacia isn't far off fitness, is this loan essential.

Surely of positions are more important. I can only make logic of it if Maguire is going and ETH intends to use Shaw more a CB to allow the occasional rest for Martinez.
I think full back is the most important player in the modern game after a goal scorer - hence the desperation.

AndySmith1990

I think full back is the most important player in the modern game after a goal scorer - hence the desperation.
If fullbacks are so critical, why the feck are our full backs Dalot, Wan Bisska, and Malacia? Aside from Shaw, RB and LB are the weakest positions in our team

croadyman

Worrying lack of concrete links to midfielders which says to me it's Hojberg or nothing. Amrabat stuff seems agent driven and zero movement on Gravenberch either

Withnail

We wouldn’t pay the £7m loan fee for Felix so I’d be surprised if we paid it for Cucurella.
I read £2m yesterday?

Anyway, midfielders? Surely if we haven’t been able to afford Amrabat for £25m then where are we getting £35m for Hoijberg?

I don't think we're interested in Amrabat at all. The noise is all coming from his side.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Tier 1:
I'd rather stick with Dalot & Fernandez rather than spunking a load of money on a loan deal, for a player who can't get into Chelsea's starting lineup, when we'd be better spending it to bolster the midfield.

They've already handed our arses to us once this season. No thanks.

Plastic Evra

Back then paying over 30m for a player was positively decadent except if you were called Real Madrid and buying the literal two best players in the world.

And 20 years prior you could buy 5 Roberto Baggios with 7m.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
8,000,000 euro in 2003 are equivalent to 12,228,452.17 euro in 2023. That’s £10,518,190.92 in real money at todays exchange rates so only roughly £3m more, which is peanuts in PL terms. Evra still sounds like a bargain to me, Cucumberella not so much ;)
I don't think a 7m loan fee for Cucurella would be a good deal either, but you really can't use average macroeconomic inflation rates to compare transfer fees over time. The growth rate of the European football market - and the corresponding transfer fees as a result - has far outpaced the growth rate of the overall economy.

Plastic Evra

I don't think a 7m loan fee for Cucurella would be a good deal either, but you really can't use average macroeconomic inflation rates to compare transfer fees over time. The growth rate of the European football market - and the corresponding transfer fees as a result - has far outpaced the growth rate of the overall economy.
Aye, I think it's maybe fairer to say that Evra was the 46th most expensive transfer that year (per Transfermarkt). This summer 7m£ would rank around the 240th rank of transfers (though the most expensive loan).

In 05/06 terms that puts Cucurella roughly on the level of Massimo Gobbi, left back joining Treviso from Cagliari for 2m€.

(And Evra... I'm not finding a left back this year at that ranking but 25m£ in today's market give or take ? So Malo Gusto last year ?)

Fahad Jawaid

I blame glazers for this situation, but our manager is also responsible for wasting good part of 145m on Mount and Antony. The worst part is we are still looking for midfielder despite spending 60m this window.

Similarly we are waiting for Antony to come good, a player who has cost you 85m should be getting at least 10 goals plus 15 assists. Whereas we didn’t get combined 10 from Antony last season, which is a shocking return of investment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I blame glazers for this situation, but our manager is also responsible for wasting good part of 145m on Mount and Antony. The worst part is we are still looking for midfielder despite spending 60m this window.

Similarly we are waiting for Antony to come good, a player who has cost you 85m should be getting at least 10 goals plus 15 assists. Whereas we didn’t get combined 10 from Antony last season, which is a shocking return of investment.
Can we stop bucketing mount as a failure. Hes had two games and he wasn't even that bad in them. fecksake it's so annoying when posters just want to wish and pre empt failures into existence. So called "supporters" of the club.

Fahad Jawaid

Can we stop bucketing mount as a failure. Hes had two games and he wasn't even that bad in them. fecksake it's so annoying when posters just want to wish and pre empt failures into existence. So called "supporters" of the club.
Mount is not an unknown entity coming from some South American club. He has been at Chelsea for a long time and have been a England regular. You can give him two years but his style of play won’t change. It was the same with DDG, when people thought ETH came he will somehow channel his inner Ederson And start playing from the back.

Mount is a number 10 that could be utilized as a LF. But he has never performed as a number 8. Because he does not get enough of the ball, he is not the controlling midfielder we needed. I would have gone for McAllister or Tonali or Barella.

Judas

Open to offers
Mount is not an unknown entity coming from some South American club. He has been at Chelsea for a long time and have been a England regular. You can give him two years but his style of play won’t change. It was the same with DDG, when people thought ETH came he will somehow channel his inner Ederson And start playing from the back.

Mount is a number 10 that could be utilized as a LF. But he has never performed as a number 8. Because he does not get enough of the ball, he is not the controlling midfielder we needed. I would have gone for McAllister or Tonali or Barella.
Who the hell thought that? Utter nonsense, no one expected him to be transformed, simply struggle to adapt.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

The problem is you see him as someone coming in to he a controlling midfielder. His ball carrying ability and pressing was among the best in the league, and he's press resistant. He was brought in for these facets whilst also being versatile in advanced areas.

Ten hag said himself he wants us to be the best team in transitions and it's more than evident he wants us to be built to capitalise on counters and quick transitions. That's built for Mounts skillet really.

Anyway I won't divert the thread. I just find it laughable that some "supporters" take a well respected player at Chelsea as some failure when hes barely played enough for us. Some support that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I read £2m yesterday?

They wanted a 15m loan fee for Felix. Not sure what he went for to Chelsea but that’s what they wanted United to pay

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
How bad is this Shaw injury??

Malacia isn't far off fitness, is this loan essential.
Quite bad, I'm hearing he won't be available till late Dec/early Jan.

That just leaves us with Malacia, whenever he's back that is.

Red00012

It’s funny how everyone reacts to the 7million loan fee while nobody comments on the 2million loan fee.
there’s no way we’ll pay 7 million for a 5 month loan .

CG1010

Quite bad, I'm hearing he won't be available till late Dec/early Jan.

That just leaves us with Malacia, whenever he's back that is.
Everytime Shaw's injury back date is moving forward. At this rate I just hope he is fit by the next season!

I know this is brought about by injuries, but I hate that we are again dipping into emergency loan market just to bring more bodies. We will not see flowing football till all 11 players are good and suited to the football we want to play. But looks like another season (or atleast half) or dysfunctional football atleast. Sigh.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's been bought for and trusted in a position that isn't his. It's phenomenally bad business and terrible scouting. Not his fault by any means and he might have some good games but he's never going to be the player we needed, never.