Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

TheReligion

Abusive
Why are you all trying to write the glazers out when they are still very much there?
The nature of the deal itself suggests they are phasing themselves out so think it’s fair for people to look more that way than ever before.

I genuinely don’t see the Glazers being here in the next 3-5 years.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The nature of the deal itself suggests they are phasing themselves out so think it’s fair for people to look more that way than ever before.

I genuinely don’t see the Glazers being here in the next 3-5 years.
That i agree with. I just think it’s the cart getting ahead of the horse for now. Describing them as the new owners is not accurate. If we’d been bought outright you could say we have new owners.anyways I’m wasting too much time on this.

HookedOnAPhelan

I think he’s better than all of them, he’s better than Malacia too. I’ve watched him on loan quite a bit and he’s definitely ready to be our backup to Shaw and potentially take over from him. I’d rather loan him if he isn’t gonna get a look in this year but we shouldn’t be selling him
I'm assuming you're a professional scout or something since you feel comfortable making definitive claims like this?

Red00012

We shouldn’t be selling Alvaro. He’s a decent player
He’s a wing back we don’t play wing backs . He’s poor at defending and his pace isn’t his greatest attribute either . Best for both parties if he moves on.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source (Tier 1):
  • Manchester United are still pushing Hannibal Mejbri to go to Everton.
  • Sevilla are optimistic that the player's will will prevail.
  • Everything will be resolved next week.

roseguy64

He was still considered a world class talent and still 22 at the time. Again, it was a mistake in hindsight but not at the time. EVERYONE in the thread at the time was happy with the decision.
A long-term contract was fine. The wages weren't in comparison to what he'd done.

Suv666

I knew we weren’t going to make any signings but a small part of me thought just because the state we are in we might pull a surprise. Maybe a loan move or something with buy clause to sidestep FFP.

Red00012

I knew we weren’t going to make any signings but a small part of me thought just because the state we are in we might pull a surprise. Maybe a loan move or something with buy clause to sidestep FFP.
I think we will sign a striker on loan

Borussia Teeth

A long-term contract was fine. The wages weren't in comparison to what he'd done.
I agree that the wages were too high but the period when the contract was signed coincided with Martial usurping Sanchez for his position. Sanchez was on considerably more back then than Martial ended up getting. Any half decent agent would use the Sanchez contact as a bench mark. We're still fecked from the Sanchez deal now in terms of wage structure.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He’s not the owner though, profits still going into the pockets of the glazer family.

he does have control over building the football structure seemingly but glazers will still have voting rights so may not be as straightforward as people think.

time will tell.

yes I’m pedantic but I feel like some people are kidding themselves.
If no one can take dividends for three years, profits are retained (or not made).

How would they go to the Glazer family?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well if that’s true it’s a true miracle. Praise the Lord
Yeah, a well publicized part of the deal that SJR insisted upon. I know the Glazers are w@nkers and have some good advisors and lawyers but SJR will match anything in that area… and likely better them. His teams have been negotiating large corporate deals for decades… in challenging arenas with various political pressures to bear in mind.

The way I see it, SJR/his appointments will do a lot of hard work that will improve the club and it’s value to shareholders, which obviously includes the Glazers. So, a lot of people think SJR is just a stooge looking for short(ish) term growth and the Glazers have played him for a fool …”you can’t spell Ratcliffe without RAT. Glazers win again”, that type of stuff. That’s because everyone is focussing on 25% ownership and simply saying 25 is less than 75… yes it is.

But pause for a second and think “why would someone like SJR who owns a HUGE group (* which he still majority owns personally (51%).. rare) and is worth about 26Bn agree to a deal where he does all the hard work for others?

I don’t think he’s thinking short term (and I mean a couple of years), I think he’s getting an initial step on the MUFC ladder with longer term plans.. yes, he has to work hard and that’ll increase the Glazers share value but he sees that as a by product. He’d have done a 100% acquisition if he could have but he’s smart enough to smile at the Glazers (which us fans don’t like), play the game and bide his time.

The dividends temp ban was just one thing he demanded, there are lots of terms and clauses in this deal and as usual, the devil’s in the detail. Others include first refusal if Glazers want to sell, that if anyone buys the Glazers shares, his are protected as are his rights under this deal… which will put a lot/all of the limited possible buyers off. Now there is a clause where if the Glazers are offered more than $x for their shares and want to sell, they can demand SJR follows them… BUT he has the right to say “I’ll match that offer and my bid trumps it under the terms of the 2023 contract”.

My opinion? He’s playing the game and in less than 4 years, he (or maybe Ineos) will have the lot (or at least a pure majority) - and if Ineos, makes no difference as (as above), he still owns 51% of the ultimate holding Co. Yes, that will mean the Glazers get more billions for a sale (hurts me to even type it) but then they’ll be gone. Forever.

This is a good thread to read… a lifelong United fan with experience of large corporate deals/part acquisitions/etc. Tries to explain it simply.

https://x.com/ole_was_right/status/1740043630356627854?s=20

croadyman

Window is open for another couple of weeks,also thought I saw something about us not moving for loan striker until the outgoings are sorted. Mind you with Martial digging in heels maybe plans have now changed

Marwood

How can Benfica not afford to buy him outright now?

I don't follow their transfer dealings closely but with their sales, they must be cash rich.

Paddymcc

I don't follow their transfer dealings closely but with their sales, they must be cash rich.
Why buy outright if we're stupid enough to loan him first? Removes any risk from Benficas part.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

If we're not looking to buy any players this month, perhaps a sale in the summer would be more beneficial to us for FFP purposes.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Such a poor deal, the buy option is worthless as Sevilla won't buy him for €20m.
ahhh the CAF favourite of not rating our youth team / reserve team players and expecting them to go for €40M.

(But then would moan if said players were to be sold because if they're worth €40M why are we selling them)

€20M is a decent sale all things considered.

pascell

ahhh the CAF favourite of not rating our youth team / reserve team players and expecting them to go for €40M.

(But then would moan if said players were to be sold because if they're worth €40M why are we selling them)

€20M is a decent sale all things considered.
I'm saying it's worthless as Sevilla won't pay that for him. Would've been better a €15m buy option with €35m buy back. Or €15m and 20% sell on.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I'm saying it's worthless as Sevilla won't pay that for him. Would've been better a €15m buy option with €35m buy back. Or €15m and 20% sell on.
The fact that there’s no buy back option should show you what we think of his ability.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Mejbri will be back in the summer and we'll end up getting about €8m for him from someone.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's better away from here till ETH has gone and we've a manager that can actually develop and give chances to these younger players. His cameos have warranted more game time, with a little bit of direction to improve. But he barely got a sniff after any decent game.