Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

lysglimt

Scout
Well - he was Head of Football Development the first years, and looking at where we are at youth level now - he must have done something right in those early years

astracrazy

Guzman was the scout that recommended him to recruitment and Cox was the one who conducted the video call to convince Alejandro to sign.
So Guzman recommends him to [insert here], [insert here] makes the decision to sign him and then [insert here] tells Cox to get him signed. Who do you think [insert here] is?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Guzman was the scout that recommended him to recruitment and Cox was the one who conducted the video call to convince Alejandro to sign.
So you think that the man credited with restructuring the academy, bringing in cox and ultimately signing off on investing in the likes of Garnacho, Wily K, Medrji and others is not in any way involved besides being the man responsible for it

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So you think that the man credited with restructuring the academy, bringing in cox and ultimately signing off on investing in the likes of Garnacho, Wily K, Medrji and others is not in any way involved besides being the man responsible for it
sounds like a glazer yes man to me :smirk:

golden_blunder

Staff
sounds like a glazer yes man to me :smirk:
I believe in fairness, it’s fair to say that he’s not been up to the job of 3-4 people but I think it’s also fair to give him credit for things he did well. The academy is one where it’s going really well after a barren spell so fair play for that

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I believe in fairness, it’s fair to say that he’s not been up to the job of 3-4 people but I think it’s also fair to give him credit for things he did well. The academy is one where it’s going really well after a barren spell so fair play for that
Agreed, he deserves criticism for his lack of leadership in the DOF role, but he got to that role based on the good things he did within the club before that.

didz

Our scouts must be frustrated flying around South America making recommendations all the time for us to only really sign Pellistri who was already playing for Forlan :lol:
Honestly I think the only real reason we scout South America-based players is so that we have information on hand for them when they get to Europe. The kind of information that can then be ignored as happened with Antony.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 2:

The extra urgency with Kambwala also has to do with how his current contract is structured. There aren't any performance-based add-ons that Mainoo's contract has, so there's a greater need to reward Kambwala for his rise.

Dannn411

They'd love him in Italy. He'll win more trophies with Inter than with us.
Possibly, but it certainly will not be as a starter or core player in the team. He'll be a defensive role player because their wing backs at Inter actually produce.

golden_blunder

Staff
He's been here for just about five years so wouldn't that £50m fee be fully amortized making any sale pure cream?
An Italian club isn’t spending more than 8m. It would cost us more to replace him. He’s good enough to be squad player, between him and Dalot I don’t think we need to look at RB as a priority. LB is more urgent

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
An Italian club isn’t spending more than 8m. It would cost us more to replace him. He’s good enough to be squad player, between him and Dalot I don’t think we need to look at RB as a priority. LB is more urgent
I think Inter could splash 15m on him, maybe even more. We have Dalot already so a replacement can be a young player promoted from within or picked up for a song.

I like AWB, though, and don't mind if he stays. Plus that thing the PL clubs agreed might alleviate our need to sell to buy this summer.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think Inter could splash 15m on him, maybe even more. We have Dalot already so a replacement can be a young player promoted from within or picked up for a song.

I like AWB, though, and don't mind if he stays. Plus that thing the PL clubs agreed might alleviate our need to sell to buy this summer.
I seriously doubt that.
we would have to pick up a player for less than we get for him because there are no RBs at the club anywhere near the level required. The sensible move is to keep them both and relook at it in the 2nd or 3rd phase of the rebuild

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
we would have to pick up a player for less than we get for him because
Why would we have to pay less for a replacement than we got for AWB?

AWB was aquired for £45 mill. He was likely depreciated over five years (meaning 23/24 was his final year). We would cut cost if we brought in a replacement for anything less than £45 mill and gave him a similar salary.

golden_blunder

Staff
Why would we have to pay less for a replacement than we got for AWB?

AWB was aquired for £45 mill. He was likely depreciated over five years (meaning 23/24 was his final year). We would cut cost if we brought in a replacement for anything less than £45 mill and gave him a similar salary.
So you’re going to let him go for peanuts are you?

his value must still be around 20m if not more.

so if you sell him for 8m to Italy, where are you going to get a replacement for 8m or less? We have to stop giving our players away

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I seriously doubt that.
we would have to pick up a player for less than we get for him because there are no RBs at the club anywhere near the level required. The sensible move is to keep them both and relook at it in the 2nd or 3rd phase of the rebuild
Despite their recent troubles they've apparently had a good year financially in 23/24. Like I said, I'm happy if we keep him but if we sell him in the 15-20m range I won't be in tears.

Dalot is fine. We'd only need a somewhat competent back up

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

so if you sell him for 8m to Italy, where are you going to get a replacement for 8m or less? We have to stop giving our players away
His value is what someone would be willing to pay. Selling AWB would be pure profit in terms of FFP/P&S. There is also the issue that if we dont sell him this summer he will be able to leave for free next summer.

Meaning, if someone is willing to pay £15 mill for him this summer, the alternative cost of keeping him for one more year is £15 mill. £15 mill for one year is basically a player bought for £75 mill and depreciated over 5 years.

Adding to that, AWB is not good enough. Improved, but still not good enough.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
We have to stop giving our players away
I agree, but it’s a balancing act. Ours players are limited in value given poor performance and huge wages. We can’t hild
On to players too long as they end up going for free, and ‘maintaining asset value’ hasn’t worked for the club either.

The that said we should easily be able to ask and achieve more than £20m if we decide to sell AWB.

Dannn411

Nobody is paying us £20m for him because of his salary so the choice before us is either get £8m-£10m for him or get nothing at all for him.

golden_blunder

Staff
His value is what someone would be willing to pay. Selling AWB would be pure profit in terms of FFP/P&S. There is also the issue that if we dont sell him this summer he will be able to leave for free next summer.

Meaning, if someone is willing to pay £15 mill for him this summer, the alternative cost of keeping him for one more year is £15 mill. £15 mill for one year is basically a player bought for £75 mill and depreciated over 5 years.

Adding to that, AWB is not good enough. Improved, but still not good enough.
He’s more than good enough for now when we have so many gaps to fill