g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Please not Tuchel. His best teams played 5 at the back. He’s got a miserable face too. Surely there’s some young charismatic manager out there keen to make his name
He still knows how to organize his teams. I'm not a fan either but he is a solid option.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why wouldn't he be? You don't think someone as cocky as him would be licking his lips at the thought of coming in after this shit show? The only way should be up from here now.
Thats what we said after Ragnick.

SER19

If southgate didnt have 2 very easy draws to a semi final, and a final, which he lost in both, his credentials would be getting relegated with middlesbrough.

Tuchel, I dont like, but makes sense as basically we need 2 years of relative steadiness while we take stock and get through transfer windows. He can coach a team, that is without doubt.

For no reason in particular, I have an affinity towards amorim, and was sorry when i thought liverpool had him.

Baxquux

I honestly think that might be the most unpopular pick in our club’s history, I could actually see protests it’s that unpopular.
Southgate obviously has more of an 'ego' than his media persona presents - it' almost a prerequisite for being a top-flight manager. But I think he's aware (a) how unpopular his appointment would be, including hassle worse than anything he's experienced as England manager from fans (and sections of the national media) and (b) that the likelihood is he wouldn't do awfully well, certainly not well enough to assuage the detractors, in the job. The only part of the remit he fits is 'uncontroversial' and 'not known for player bust-ups' ( the White withdrawal slightly excepted).

INEOS are looking for a head coach - i.e. a training ground manager and tactician, rather than a general manager. There's more evidence of someone like Kieran McKenna's skills as a head coach, even at this stage of his career, than of Southgate's, and more likelihood of fans going for his appointment, let alone one of the more illustrious up and coming types they could go for (Amorim etc), compared to Southgate.

sparx99

Southgate obviously has more of an 'ego' than his media persona presents - it' almost a prerequisite for being a top-flight manager. But I think he's aware (a) how unpopular his appointment would be, including hassle worse than anything he's experienced as England manager from fans (and sections of the national media) and (b) that the likelihood is he wouldn't do awfully well, certainly not well enough to assuage the detractors, in the job. The only part of the remit he fits is 'uncontroversial' and 'not known for player bust-ups' ( the White withdrawal slightly excepted).

INEOS are looking for a head coach - i.e. a training ground manager and tactician, rather than a general manager. There's more evidence of someone like Kieran McKenna's skills as a head coach, even at this stage of his career, than of Southgate's, and more likelihood of fans going for his appointment, let alone one of the more illustrious up and coming types they could go for (Amorim etc), compared to Southgate.
I just think its an easy re-hash whenever the heat is on ETH. I just can't see Southgate getting the job even if he has links to Ashworth et al. He has no club management experience of note and not for ages either.

On top of that and the bigger problem (even if he was a good candidate) is that he can't take over until after Euros. We went through the same with LVG and it held up loads of transfer business and caused us to miss out on players. We ended up doing loads of late transfers.

If we are to get rid of ETH and surely we are then it needs to be as quickly as possible to have the new guy in the door and working with the players. Getting the coaching staff in place etc.

Teja

Please not Tuchel. His best teams played 5 at the back. He’s got a miserable face too. Surely there’s some young charismatic manager out there keen to make his name
We definitely need a dose of defensive discipline after this season. It's actually insane how easily we get cut through. It's like watching a basketball match. Every possession results in a shot.

But regardless, I think 5 ATB (with a 3-4-2-1) suits most of our players well if we identify the right signings at CB. We could play:

---------------------------- Onana ----------------------------
---------- New CB -- Martinez -- Shaw -------------
--- Dalot --- New CM --- Mainoo -- New LB ---
-------------------- Bruno -- Mount -----------------------
--------------------------- Hojlund ---------------------------

Garnacho is the only one who's somewhat screwed as a result. I fully expect him to be the new CHO. 3 signings could get us top four if we remain relatively injury free. The door is open for Sancho / Rashford to come in over Mount.

Withnail

We definitely need a dose of defensive discipline after this season. It's actually insane how easily we get cut through. It's like watching a basketball match. Every possession results in a shot.

But regardless, I think 5 ATB (with a 3-4-2-1) suits most of our players well if we identify the right signings at CB. We could play:

Garnacho is the only one who's somewhat screwed as a result. I fully expect him to be the new CHO. 3 signings could get us top four if we remain relatively injury free. The door is open for Sancho / Rashford to come in over Mount.
I'm not sure this makes us more defensively secure while also neutering our attacking capability from wide positions. You'd have to upgrade Dalot to make it work too, not that I'd be adverse to that but there's only so much that can be done in one window.

Teja

I'm not sure this makes us more defensively secure while also neutering our attacking capability from wide positions. You'd have to upgrade Dalot to make it work too, not that I'd be adverse to that but there's only so much that can be done in one window.
The reason for defensive security is we go to a stable 3-2 base in possession that all teams use instead of 3-1 with the one DM expected to do a lot. We've been trying to get the 3-2 base to work with Dalot inverting but apparently that's too fancy for this squad. Also just automatically improves the build-up play (again not a single DM surrounded by 4 attackers receiving the ball).

Actually there are more reasons why we'll become more secure defensively. The wide spaces are well covered due to having a pacy wide center backs. The simple ball over the top with the striker making a run wide will no longer work. The CM should be somewhat of a workhorse. I'm imagining a Jorginho + Kovacic type pairing with Mainoo + another runner.

The attacking play will become worse, I agree. We don't have capable enough wing backs but someone of the Alonso mould at LWB might be enough to paper over the cracks. We can always stick Garnacho there if it comes to it.

sparx99

I've said similar about Ruben Amorim. He generally plays 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. It doesn't suit everyone but you have two options as far as I can see.

Option 1 - 3-4-3
People will see Maguire or Varane in the middle of back three and be concerned. But Sporting have had Sebastian Coates there who isn't quick. He is flanked by Diomande and Inacio who cover for his lack of pace and you want the central one to be aerially dominant. And Bruno in Central Midfield seems really bold but Sporting have played Pedro Goncalves there against weaker teams and the point of 3 CB's is to cover for a softer central midfield. This is your attacking formation at home.

--------- Diomande -- Maguire -- Martinez -----
--- Dalot ----- Bruno ----- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----
----Garnacho ------- Hojlund ------Rashford------

Option 2 - 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1

This option allows your to play a more traditional central midfielder alongside Mainoo for defensive help. Personally, I'd go with the 3-4-1-2 as that allows you to get Garnacho alongside Hojlund so you have two quick forwards to find.

--- Dalot --- New CM --- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----

--- Dalot --- New CM --- Mainoo ----- Shaw-----
---------------------------- Bruno -----------------------------
-----------------Garnacho --- Hojlund ------------------

In these scenarios, we definitely need a new Central defender to play RCB. A new LWB & backup RWB because we know Shaw isn't reliable enough. A new central midfielder and likely a striker. It is possible inventive enough though that we could make significant progress without having to make more than 3-5 signings.

Squad depth by position

GK - Onana, Bayindir, Heaton
RCB - New CB, Lindelof
CB - Maguire, Varane
LCB - Martinez, Shaw
RWB - Dalot, New RWB
LWB - Shaw, New LWB, Malacia
CM - Bruno, new CM
CM - Mainoo, McTominay, Mount
RW - Garnacho, Antony, Amad
LW - Rashford, Garnacho
ST - Hojlund, New ST

CB - Diomande/Todibo
RWB - Dumfries/Frimpong
LWB - Kerkez/Miguel Gutierrez
CM - Hjulmand/Amadou Onana/Joao Neves
ST - Youssef El-Nesyri/Ivan Toney

caid

As a guy to throw in front of the media and act as a focal point, with good coaches dealing more with the more players, Southgate might not be a bad choice in my opinion.
The scrutiny and publicity that comes with United would probably be a pretty huge obstacle to guys like Iraola or McKenna. Probably hasn't been a strong point for Ten Hag either. I think he deserves credit for the mood surrounding the England camp which is a lot less toxic than usual if nothing else.
Thats the only way i can rationalise the choice.

hobbers

As a guy to throw in front of the media and act as a focal point, with good coaches dealing more with the more players, Southgate might not be a bad choice in my opinion.
The scrutiny and publicity that comes with United would probably be a pretty huge obstacle to guys like Iraola or McKenna. Probably hasn't been a strong point for Ten Hag either. I think he deserves credit for the mood surrounding the England camp which is a lot less toxic than usual if nothing else.
Thats the only way i can rationalise the choice.
There'd be no way to rationalise it, other than Ineos and the people they hired being incompetent and ignorant.

At least the fans were on board with all the previous appointments to start off with. We're yet to see how grim it could be when they aren't. And to make Southgate your first act as owners/directors would be like preparing for a marathon by amputating your own leg.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 3 shouldn’t even be posted on here tbh
They still get some info right on several occasions; they just can't be taken at face value every time. We know that INEOS has looked at Southgate based on past reports, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're ramping things up with him as we shorten our managerial shortlist.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Tier 1:

The concerns are coming from "at least two potential candidates". The Telegraph is then blowing it up to become a bigger deal than it seems to be.
Would candidates really be concerned about the criticisms of a guy who failed in management at Lg2 Oldham? Weird insecure people.

Blood Mage

Beggars can't be choosers and we are in no position whatsoever to be turning our noses up at Tuchel right now, feck me. Do you realise how shit we are at the moment?

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
If I did, that, then there'd be barely any news coming through. On top of that, when most people are desperate for even wild speculation, then info from decent sources is worth posting.
Transfer tweets is my favourite thread on Redcafe , I'd take any sources :D

Baxquux

He'll end up back in the PL regardless. People only make a significant thing of it when it's United anyway.

If United think he's innocent (as they said in their statement) why sell him?
People get whipped into frenzies and then refuse to back down, even when CPS and other parties with access to greater information about the circumstances of the case deem that either (a) charges should be dropped or (b) in the case of senior club management, that the evidence for his innocence (in this specific matter) is greater than for his guilt. It's an opportunity for people to display righteous indignation and virtue-gesture, even when that very 'virtue' is based upon open contempt for process for serving justice under for the law and for people's rights as citizens (regardless of their job or status).

Even supposedly responsible journalists like Crafton are guilty of this, when they talk about the 'moral' case for United having to let MG go, in the context of an incomplete picture of the circumstances And in the context of two different groups (the CPS and club hierarchy) determining that he doesn't have a case to answer. If people want to go off the only facts that have been acknowledged by both parties, then MG is guilty of adultery and quarrelling with his partner and ...that's it. Doesn't mean he was a good partner or a pleasant guy when he was 19/20. But where are the calls for the likes of Kyle Walker to be drummed out of English football on 'moral grounds' after cheating with prostitutes etc?