Transgender Athletes

stepic

Guys it’s a waste of time talking to Carolina Red. He has this weird fascination about cis girl scholarships - because clearly they’re the most important thing about the entire trans rights discussion, and god forbid trans girls have the actual audacity to take one or two of them away from, you know, ‘proper’ girls.

How he is still ‘moderating’ this thread is frankly beyond me but there we go

Carolina Red

Staff
Guys it’s a waste of time talking to Carolina Red. He has this weird fascination about cis girl scholarships - because clearly they’re the most important thing about the entire trans rights discussion, and god forbid trans girls have the actual audacity to take one or two of them away from, you know, ‘proper’ girls.

How he is still ‘moderating’ this thread is frankly beyond me but there we go
Always a pleasure, step.

ChaddyP

Way to completely, and intentionally, miss the point.

And the “this is school sports, not the World Cup” completely glosses over the fact that competing well in school sports are how many people afford to attend college.

How many biological females didn’t get looked at for a college scholarship because they got kept out of a race by someone who isn’t one?

But again, you’re intentionally missing the point, so that won’t matter to you.
one of if not our biggest sports events in Jamaica is a "school sport". Its extremely tribal, fierce competitive and seen as a stepping stone for our athletes to go on to better things. To say its "schools sports " like its some random playground rodeo is crazy i think. These are where the likes of Shelly-ann Fraser , Veronica Campbell, Elaine Thompson-Hera are born. Well at least for us.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
one of if not our biggest sports events in Jamaica is a "school sport". Its extremely tribal, fierce competitive and seen as a stepping stone for our athletes to go on to better things. To say its "schools sports " like its some random playground rodeo is crazy i think. These are where the likes of Shelly-ann Fraser , Veronica Campbell, Elaine Thompson-Hera are born. Well at least for us.
I mean, you just described a horrible system, if young kids rely on being good at sports to move up in life. Why on earth would we want to aspire to that?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
was just looking at her 100 m times, we have local school boy athletes in 10 -13 age division running times faster than her. Quite interesting
If that's her average time do you think it's fair to put her up against transgender athletes who are more powerful athletes and will have a better average?

ChaddyP

I mean, you just described a horrible system, if young kids rely on being good at sports to move up in life. Why on earth would we want to aspire to that?
I was talking about how they make it big in track and field, its actually a beautiful system as all schools on the island compete against each other in a variety of events similar to olympics, If you attend school and are good at a sport within your age range and sex then you have a chance to compete at the national arena infront of thousands of people. I never said young kids needed to be good at sports to move up in life, i suck at sports and im doing fine :lol: :lol:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I was talking about how they make it big in track and field, its actually a beautiful system as all schools on the island compete against each other in a variety of events similar to olympics, If you attend school and are good at a sport within your age range and sex then you have a chance to compete at the national arena infront of thousands of people. I never said young kids needed to be good at sports to move up in life, i suck at sports and im doing fine :lol: :lol:
Fair enough, I misinterpreted from you saying it was fierce and tribal.

ChaddyP

If that's her average time do you think it's fair to put her up against transgender athletes who are more powerful athletes and will have a better average?
Lets put it this way, I think there is a huge advantage to going through puberty as a male vs female when it comes to 100 m. To me Shelly Ann Fraser is the greatest sprint athlete to ever exists and she would still lose to the 15 year old boys that run in our local school sports competition.

hobbers

But, in my experience, when kids who are involved in generally niche competitive sports like running start to lose, they become snidey and sore losers because at the core of their soul they are absolute cnuts.
While this is undoubtedly true, what does it say about the core of the souls of athletes who compete as men against men, generally to a mediocre level, but then transition and are very eager to compete against women knowing they now have a big advantage?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Lets put it this way, I think there is a huge advantage to going through puberty as a male vs female when it comes to 100 m. To me Shelly Ann Fraser is the greatest sprint athlete to ever exists and she would still lose to the 15 year old boys that run in our local school sports competition.
And let me put it this way.. what if Usain Bolt decides to transition and wants to compete in women's division?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you think it's fair for women to compete against other women?

ChaddyP

And let me put it this way.. what if Usain Bolt decides to transition and wants to compete in women's division?
It would make a mockery of womens track and field, something as a Jamaican i feel very strongly about. I dont think anyone that transitioned to female after puberty should compete in female track events. Even with the current WA restrictions in place the test levels are just too high, the biological advantage is too much .I cant speak for other sports , but for track , going through puberty as a man is a lasting advantage. If you are a transwoman and merely doing similar times as cis women in track to me it shows you actually had no business being in track in the first place, its like putting an 18 year old to run against 10 year olds and they run similar times for some reason and we think...well that was totally fine.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
From her athlete profile at the College of William & Mary…
Prep
Runner-up in the Emerging Elite Long Jump at the 2019 New Balance Outdoor Nationals ... New England Champion in the 100m in 2019 as well ... Named the Connecticut State Track Athlete of the Year following those performances ... As a senior in the winter of 2020, ranked No. 3 in the nation in the long jump ... Named a prep All-American by the NSAF ... Won 11 Connecticut State Championships at Canton ... Three of her state titles were in the open (all-divisions) category in addition to eight in her division ... Won the state open title in the 55m dash as senior in 2020 ... Also won the state open championship outdoors in the 100m in 2019, and indoors in the long jump in 2019 ... Won the divisional 100m in 2018 ... Added the 200m and 4x100m outdoor championships that year as well ... In 2019, won the long jump in her division both indoors and outdoors ... Swept the divisional titles in the 55m, 300m, and the long jump in 2020 ... Earned 16 all-state honors overall ... Member of the Rho Kappa Honor Society ... Won the Outstanding Academic Excellence Award from Canton.
Yeah, I was too lazy to look it up but thanks for saving me the work.
Needs tagline 'Shit at Gambling'.
I would take it but as above, someone already proved my point.

Btw. as I'm seeing the discussion. If transgender bring down the clusterfeck that is the US higher education and scholarship system then wohaaaa, even more power to them!

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Sure, but I'm not a woman
Biologically you're not a woman should be the correct statement. There's nothing wrong with identifying and transitioning into a woman but your biologically makeup isn't that of a biological woman. Genetics cannot be changed. A biological man will always have the strength and power superior to a biological woman. Nothing can change that. A person can identify as whoever they want but it won't make them weaker or stronger.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It would make a mockery of womens track and field, something as a Jamaican i feel very strongly about. I dont think anyone that transitioned to female after puberty should compete in female track events. Even with the current WA restrictions in place the test levels are just too high, the biological advantage is too much .I cant speak for other sports , but for track , going through puberty as a man is a lasting advantage. If you are a transwoman and merely doing similar times as cis women in track to me it shows you actually had no business being in track in the first place, its like putting an 18 year old to run against 10 year olds and they run similar times for some reason and we think...well that was totally fine.
What that says is you don't genuinely consider trans-women, women. Usain Bolt had massive genetic, physical advantages over every other person he competed against. Should we have excluded him from competing?

I get the desire to protect cis women athletes, there is no easy or simple solution here, but not at the cost of denying an entire group of people their identity

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Biologically you're not a woman should be the correct statement. There's nothing wrong with identifying and transitioning into a woman but your biologically makeup isn't that of a biological woman. Genetics cannot be changed. A biological man will always have the strength and power superior to a biological woman. Nothing can change that. A person can identify as whoever they want but it won't make them weaker or stronger.
I'm weaker and slower than Bolt. Should Bolt be forbidden from competing against me because of it?

And no. The correct statement is I'm not a woman. Biology has nothing to do with it

The next person to use the term biological woman is going on ignore. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, though it's disheartening

ChaddyP

One of the issues with
I would put a cavoite here, and say on average. You have lots of women stronger than certain men

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Didn't realize you were Jamaican. I love your country. I just got back from vacation there and I want to go back already.
I fully understand what you mean and it's the right thing to do here would be to have a category for transgenders to compete in. Fair is fair.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm weaker and slower than Bolt. Should Bolt be forbidden from competing against me because of it?

And no. The correct statement is I'm not a woman. Biology has nothing to do with it

The next person to use the term biological woman is going on ignore. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt here, though it's disheartening
In competitive sports it matters and you wouldn't be able to compete against Bolt because you wouldn't qualify to compete in the same category as him. By all means put me on ignore it hardly matters to me if you read my posts :lol:

ChaddyP

What that says is you don't genuinely consider trans-women, women. Usain Bolt had massive genetic, physical advantages over every other person he competed against. Should we have excluded him from competing?

I get the desire to protect cis women athletes, there is no easy or simple solution here, but not at the cost of denying an entire group of people their identity
no he shouldn't be banned because like the others he is competing with, he was born a man , went through puberty as a man and is the best of that particular biological make up. He eats the food hes allowed to eat that doesn't give him an advantage over others, he (based on blood work) doesn't use any drugs that would give him an unfair advantage over any other male. He has no advantage over them other than hes the fecking goat male athlete. The whole point of sport is to find out who is the best of a certain class. And when he was competeing he was the best, as currently is another Jamaican Shelly-Ann fraser Price, the greatest ATHLETE (not just female) to exist in my opinion. Shelly only exists because of classing her as female which comes with parameters to which transwomen do not fall into.

you want inclusion do away with male and female sport. Just have one big fecking pot with men women, transmen transwomen you name it. But untill that happens, I personally think that transwomen should not be in the same race as ciswomen when it comes to track .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Without checking the story I'd be willing to bet big money that she never was and never will be the fastest in Connecticut even if you only take cis girls but the right wing press loves to jump on these future suburban mom stories that love the attention.
From her athlete profile at the College of William & Mary…
Prep
Runner-up in the Emerging Elite Long Jump at the 2019 New Balance Outdoor Nationals ... New England Champion in the 100m in 2019 as well ... Named the Connecticut State Track Athlete of the Year following those performances ... As a senior in the winter of 2020, ranked No. 3 in the nation in the long jump ... Named a prep All-American by the NSAF ... Won 11 Connecticut State Championships at Canton ... Three of her state titles were in the open (all-divisions) category in addition to eight in her division ... Won the state open title in the 55m dash as senior in 2020 ... Also won the state open championship outdoors in the 100m in 2019, and indoors in the long jump in 2019 ... Won the divisional 100m in 2018 ... Added the 200m and 4x100m outdoor championships that year as well ... In 2019, won the long jump in her division both indoors and outdoors ... Swept the divisional titles in the 55m, 300m, and the long jump in 2020 ... Earned 16 all-state honors overall ... Member of the Rho Kappa Honor Society ... Won the Outstanding Academic Excellence Award from Canton.
, someone already proved my point.
Gambling would be bad for your health, don't do it.

SirScholes

Didn't realize you were Jamaican. I love your country. I just got back from vacation there and I want to go back already.
I fully understand what you mean and it's the right thing to do here would be to have a category for transgenders to compete in. Fair is fair.
This is the only answer, absolutely no reason why there should be anything other

Transgender athletes can compete in their own fields
And men saying they’re women can stop taking the future away from gifted female athletes

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I find the "MJ/Messi/Bolt/etc" argument quite disingenious. As a man you know you're competing against another man and you know that he may be more talented or has freak genetics like Phelps. But at the end of the day, it's man vs man.

ChaddyP

I thought your bet was that she wasn’t good? She is good. She literally was the fastest in Connecticut twice and fastest in New England once.
I would like to say that if she is the fastest in Connecticut , Connecticut sucks :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
no he shouldn't be banned because like the others he is competing with, he was born a man , went through puberty as a man and is the best of that particular biological make up. He eats the food hes allowed to eat that doesn't give him an advantage over others, he (based on blood work) doesn't use any drugs that would give him an unfair advantage over any other male. He has no advantage over them other than hes the fecking goat male athlete. The whole point of sport is to find out who is the best of a certain class. And when he was competeing he was the best, as currently is another Jamaican Shelly-Ann fraser Price, the greatest ATHLETE (not just female) to exist in my opinion. Shelly only exists because of classing her as female which comes with parameters to which transwomen do not fall into.

you want inclusion do away with male and female sport. Just have one big fecking pot with men women, transmen transwomen you name it. But untill that happens, I personally think that transwomen should not be in the same race as ciswomen when it comes to track .
Again...you are then denying the identity of an entire group of people on the basis of possibly/probably having an inherent natural advantage over other people of their same gender. Even if you don't realize it, you're saying transwomen are not really women. That's what it comes down to

I get the counter argument that if trans women start dominating sports that might negatively impact the engagement of cis women with sports. Are we at that point already? And if we are, what's more important here? The vast majority of people who play sports don't turn pro, and even among those who do, it's always a very small select few who reach the top. It's not like there isn't already a natural selection largely based on genetics, geography(place of birth is unfortunately very important still, due to uneven resources/funding), etc