Transgender rights discussion

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This has nothing to do with Transgender discussion
Ok so what does this add to the transgender discussion?
It’s definitely a talking point around the whole issue. Also if you think I’ve done something wrong please feel free to report me or speak to a mod rather than moaning at me.
He isnt transgender so it has nothing to do with this thread
The court was told that Miller identifies as transgender and is in the process of transitioning to female. He was not known to his victim before he abducted her.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It’s definitely a talking point around the whole issue. Also if you think I’ve done something wrong please feel free to report me or speak to a mod rather than moaning at me.
So if I am dissecting this correctly, what you are saying is that this is relevant because there is a talking point, advanced by some, that trans people are more likely to commit abuse and therefore the issue of their access to rights should be debated?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
He isnt transgender so it has nothing to do with this thread
Well it does mention that she is a trans woman.

Although using a few outliers to justify harsher treatment of an entire group is objectionable - just look at how Prevent has been used against the British Muslim community as a whole, justified by reference to a handful of persons who have committed terrible crimes.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
So if I am dissecting this correctly, what you are saying is that this is relevant because there is a talking point, advanced by some, that trans people are more likely to commit abuse and therefore the issue of their access to rights should be debated?
Nope. That’s not what I’m saying at all.

I posted it in this thread as this is the overall thread for trans related discussion. It was this thread that the Scottish rapist (now jailed) who now identifies as a woman was discussed in as well as a whole host of other trans related discussion.

In fact, this story specifically is what the right wing often cite as being the harm with transgendered people etc. hence it’s a relevant talking point for this thread.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Well it does mention that she is a trans woman.

Although using a few outliers to justify harsher treatment of an entire group is objectionable - just look at how Prevent has been used against the British Muslim community as a whole, justified by reference to a handful of persons who have committed terrible crimes.
I stand corrected then, I read the headline earlier on BBC "man dressed as woman'.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

The court was told that Miller identifies as transgender and is in the process of transitioning to female. He was not known to his victim before he abducted her.
I’m not going to report you before asking. Don’t be silly. You’re good.

My point is… ‘Human abducts human and sexually assaults her’… not a Transgender discussion.

Lumping it in there is akin to contributing to black on black violence narratives.

I could dress up as a woman and claim to be transgender and burgle a house or rob a bank and it wouldn’t be a transgender issue. Adding ‘Transgender man sexually assaults girl’ to this thread is regressive and irrelevant.

Let’s spot the nuance here. Reporting a Daily Mail phrased ‘Transgender female - born male’ sexually assaults woman’ has nothing to do with their sexual identity and EVERYTHING to do with them being a disgusting criminal.

You’ve done nothing wrong. I may well have done the same 10 years ago. Through no malice, just ignorance.

It’s really not relevant though, and really quite foul, however accidental.

Not a comment on your character, just the single action.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I’m not going to report you before asking. Don’t be silly. You’re good.

My point is… ‘Human abducts human and sexually assaults her’… not a Transgender discussion.

Lumping it in there is akin to contributing to black on black violence narratives.

I could dress up as a woman and claim to be transgender and burgle a house or rob a bank and it wouldn’t be a transgender issue. Adding ‘Transgender man sexually assaults girl’ to this thread is regressive and irrelevant.

Let’s spot the nuance here. Reporting a Daily Mail phrased ‘Transgender female - born male’ sexually assaults woman’ has nothing to do with their sexual identity and EVERYTHING to do with them being a disgusting criminal.

You’ve done nothing wrong. I may well have done the same 10 years ago. Through no malice, just ignorance.

It’s really not relevant though, and really quite foul, however accidental.

Not a comment on your character, just the single action.
Here's what I said to another poster -

I posted it in this thread as this is the overall thread for trans related discussion. It was this thread that the Scottish rapist (now jailed) who now identifies as a woman was discussed in as well as a whole host of other trans related discussion.

In fact, this story specifically is what the right wing often cite as being the harm with transgendered people etc. hence it’s a relevant talking point for this thread.

So, in light of there not being another thread where we can lump in any / all news stories related to trans people, this thread will do. (And additionally, we don't have a general rapist thread although I still wouldn't post this in there).

Agree that this is 'adult abducts child and sexually assaults her' is the key takeaway - but the article shows that the girl trusted her/him because she presented as a woman.

The girl later told police she had been unable to get a bus home and so started to walk when she was approached "by a lady in a car" who offered to give her a lift.
She said she had accepted the offer and got into the Jaguar car because she was cold and believed the "lady" to be non-threatening.
Furthermore, there's obviously some blurring of the lines by the rapist with regards to his/her gender and how they should be tried -

At the time of his arrest, he was presenting as Amy George but confirmed he wished to be addressed as Andrew Miller using "he" pronouns for simplicity.
So taking this all into account, this is the thread to discuss. Also, the thread title was recently changed so there's elements in here that have nothing to do with transgender rights.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Here's what I said to another poster -

So, in light of there not being another thread where we can lump in any / all news stories related to trans people, this thread will do. (And additionally, we don't have a general rapist thread although I still wouldn't post this in there).

Agree that this is 'adult abducts child and sexually assaults her' is the key takeaway - but the article shows that the girl trusted her/him because she presented as a woman.

Furthermore, there's obviously some blurring of the lines by the rapist with regards to his/her gender and how they should be tried -

So taking this all into account, this is the thread to discuss. Also, the thread title was recently changed so there's elements in here that have nothing to do with transgender rights.
Yeah, you’re wrong. Should have been a new thread. I’m sorry guy, I have you a little rope but best to add you to an ignore list going forward. Go well x

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Maybe there should be a separate thread for rape and child abuse stories to keep them out of discussion like this.

This is a story about rape. However the rapist coerced the girl is part of the MO of the rape, not a transgender discussion.

For all we know, the outfit was specifically for the coercion, and the story and the name came after.

I would imagine there are far more CIS-male and -female child abuse and rape then there are trans.

In fact, the reason this is news is because its so rare.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
blue tick community is divided...based or cringe...or is it a fake?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Might be fake, but the replies are certainly not...

The whole twitter blue tick fiasco means you should ignore replies to any tweet you see. It’s a heavily biased selection of utter douche bags who in no way reflect the vast majority of normal people on Twitter (and even bigger numbers of normal people who don’t use Twitter)

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
What does ‘based’ mean? I’ve seen it in a few other places on the forum.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don’t think anyone ever used the word other than alt right dickheads online.
I was called 'based' yesterday as a non-political compliment, but you're right that the word is associated to the alt right freaks.

'Based' & 'woke' were once used by Black rappers exclusively, interesting that they have been appropriated by the MAGA right & used ad nausem.

Lightbringer

Twitter censored the video and shut down sharing and liking the video, now it has 150 million plays with Elon Musk having as a pinned tweet. #WhatIsAWoman

Last edited:

arnie_ni

This thread is like a sanctuary compared to how grim the athletes thread is
Every poster in that thread saying cis women's sports need protected will be I'm here defending trans rights if it came to it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not when you have the certainty of youth.
Just prioritising based on one solitary glance at popular culture :)

even from a transphobe perspective, this must be bottom-of-the-barrel humour? suicide jokes can be funny in an edgy and mean way, making fun of appearance is a universal weapon, but lazily going "man???? woman?!!!"...c'mon, attack helicopter stuff was played out in 2018.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just prioritising based on one solitary glance at popular culture :)

even from a transphobe perspective, this must be bottom-of-the-barrel humour? suicide jokes can be funny in an edgy and mean way, making fun of appearance is a universal weapon, but lazily going "man???? woman?!!!"...c'mon, attack helicopter stuff was played out in 2018.
Yes. It’s a terrible joke. I believe there are many terrible jokes to be found on that platform. Some of the most unfunny jokes of all are the work of its new owner.