Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog United

Would rather have him than our right-backs, though. Better passer of the ball than any United player bar maybe Eriksen. His attacking qualities more than makes up for his defensive faults.
They didn't tonight. And they haven't in other big games, most memorably the Champions League final... thank god.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's just so lazy at defending. It's like he knows because he's so good on the ball it doesn't matter if he half asses his defending. Weird.
Its because he knows its VVD and Matip behind him most of the time. You'd be relaxed too if you had two very good defenders behind you. Doesn't excuse it mind.

crossy1686

career ending
Never really been convinced by him, there was a time when people considered AWB to be as good as him, which says more about TAA than anything else. James is out and out the best RB in the league, no competition

Jev

They didnt though did they. Liverpool just lost with him being a big weakness defensively
They do in general. Typical 'player had a bad game therefore must be a bad player' overreaction. He's brilliant.

OverratedOpinion

He lacks both the brain and strength to play there I think.
He definitely isn't a weak lad and I think he is quite intelligent on the ball. He couldn't be a holding midfielder but I think he has the attributes of an incredible number 8.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He definitely isn't a weak lad and I think he is quite intelligent on the ball. He couldn't be a holding midfielder but I think he has the attributes of an incredible number 8.
I wouldn't mind seeing that, maybe in a KDB kind of role. He has the ability on the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its because he knows its VVD and Matip behind him most of the time. You'd be relaxed too if you had two very good defenders behind you. Doesn't excuse it mind.
true, got complacent perhaps.

This is why he won't ever be fully trusted for England though which is a shame as he is a hell of a talent.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Never really been convinced by him, there was a time when people considered AWB to be as good as him, which says more about TAA than anything else. James is out and out the best RB in the league, no competition
It says an awful lot more about whoever thought that.

RedDevil@84

I hope other teams see that as well and attack from his side. It is an easy path to take.

Blood Mage

I was being generous when I said he's on par with Dalot defensively apparently. He's actually worse.

SAFMUTD

Long may it continue, in both goals he has his share of it. First goal is attrocious he just stops running. Watch him on the replay and he doesnt follows Elanga after the 1-2 pass and then is just walking on the box when Sancho has it no preassure at all. After Sancho does the flick then he sprints but that was way too late.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s a very good player but very limited so if his best attributes aren’t highlighted he doesn’t look too good. That those attributes aren’t any aspect of defending can be a problem for a defender.

Strelok

I mean no offense but if you've ever played football you'd understand passing is only a part of a midfielder. I don't know how to explain but it's a very difficult position to play because you're in the middle of the pitch with opponents from basically every direction.

The brain I was talking about is not intelligence but rather his awareness about everything around him. And how fast you can think about what to do next. A midfielder usually have very very little time to think about what next. They need to think fast really fast.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's like a an old school RM, playing at the back. Pool has a big advantage having such a graceful player, spraying passes and crosses around the pitch like Beckham when in possession, when out he can be a bit of a liability, still with overall team aggression he's great fullback and big weapon because Pool don't face that many attacks and players can cover for him. Nothing we didn't know though.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If AWB could figure out positioning he would be the best RB in the league by far. At least as far as defense goes. Its unlikely that he will at this point, but there was a point where he was called "Wall-Bissaka" for good reason

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very poor first half.

Maybe if Liverpool signed another RB they could try him out somewhere in midfield, could be the season to do it if they're miles off in the league.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Reece James is easily better, and also offensively bar his delivery.

Bobski

He doesn't want to defend, more than anything else that is his main issue.

Ekeke

I think after Klopp made comments about England using him as a right winger when hes "the best right back" he'll probably consider it a point of pride not to move him forward from right back. Today we did what every team should do and we made him defend. You should be punished for having a player at right back who is twice or three times as good with the ball as he is without it and defending.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's terrible.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like he completely gave up on the play soon as the ball was played in behind him.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s Steven Gerrard at right back. Tries these Hollywood passes and trying to be the hero rather than just getting the basics right.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's why I contrary to many others on this forum don't feel comfortable calling him world class.

I know his focus is on the offensive side of the game but he's just so shit defensively.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's a traffic cone defensively.

I'd always try and overload on Liverpool's right side.

chris123

Moreso than his one-on-one defending, his positioning is atrocious. The chance where Elanga hit the post he's Liverpools second most advanced player, despite having possession on the other side of the pitch. I get that Klopp wants his full backs to push high, but he really is a liability at times.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's like a an old school RM, playing at the back. Pool has a big advantage having such a graceful player, spraying passes and crosses around the pitch like Beckham when in possession, when out he can be a bit of a liability, still with overall team aggression he's great fullback and big weapon because Pool don't face that many attacks and players can cover for him. Nothing we didn't know though.
I actually think Beckham is a great comp for TAA, and in the modern game Beckham would be a fantastic fullback/wingback since true RM's don't really exist anymore.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think the blame is on Klopp here surely. Tactically this needs to be resolved by him. Alexander-Arnold is being asked to play the role he plays and it leaves him exposed defensively.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
At this point it’d make far more sense to play Milner at fullback and him in midfield

jesperjaap

I think TAA is the best going forward, Walker defensively, one on one still take Bisska....but all round I rate Reece James the best too, but he needs to prove it consitently and take his chance in an England shirt to stat for England in a major tournament and he hasnt done that yet.

I think the reason TAA isnt gettign ENgland chances is as good as he is going forward, he is actually fairly average defensively. Very good player but over rated I think by pundits especially as a full back

KeanoMagicHat

Trent is a victim of his own success, if he drops the slightest level then people call him shite. He's 23 and he's been one of the best right backs in the world for the last 4-5 years. He's had a bad start to this season, but he's still one of the best right backs England has ever produced.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Feel like the league is starting to figure out how to exploit what is obviously a major weakness in that Liverpool back four.

Status
Not open for further replies.