Trump Coronavirus (CV in US Politics)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What's the argument here? What should people be told?

He's either fine, he's ill, or he's dead. I don't see why we'd be updated on anything beyond which of those are currently the case.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What's the argument here? What should people be told?

He's either fine, he's ill, or he's dead. I don't see why we'd be updated on anything beyond which of those are currently the case.
More the point that we won’t be consciously given any transparency at all regarding the president’s condition, no matter who that person is.

But, the last reference was 39 years ago, long before even the advent of social media. It will be interesting to see how the incumbent mentality of limiting any information on the president’s wellbeing that’s been around for centuries will fare against the tide of 2020 social media.

DOTA

More the point that we won’t be consciously given any transparency at all regarding the president’s condition, no matter who that person is.

But, the last reference was 39 years ago, long before even the advent of social media. It will be interesting to see how the incumbent mentality of limiting any information on the president’s wellbeing that’s been around for centuries will fare against the tide of 2020 social media.
Especially if they don't get the phone off him.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It was a PR stunt but only in a way to downplay the severity of what he's facing. A "strongman" like Trump can't afford to get sick and look weak.
Could be. But if he would be so distroyed, he would not even be able to do that, this illness doen't allow it

You just wanted to add that line there didn’t you :)
:D

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What if he comes back claiming to be in his 2nd coming, that he realises he was wrong about COVID-19 and other things and that he will put it all right in his 2nd term?
Am sure that will soften up some of his critics and engender some admiration amongst confused Republicans who can’t stand him?
The famous pivot. Finally. He only needed a good excuse. 9D chess

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well although the WH is currently getting away with the lack of transparency and information about Trump, at least he won't be able to do a Xi or Jong-Un and just disappear for weeks. We will know when it is serious because they will have to invoke the 25th won't they and I'm sure as Speaker of the House, Pelosi has to be informed. I think that's right.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Well although the WH is currently getting away with the lack of transparency and information about Trump, at least he won't be able to do a Xi or Jong-Un and just disappear for weeks. We will know when it is serious because they will have to invoke the 25th won't they and I'm sure as Speaker of the House, Pelosi has to be informed. I think that's right.
COG discussions are apparently well underway.

DOTA

Again, I am baffled by this attitude. Do you think we should have constant cough per hour updates? He's ill enough to be in hospital. They've told us that. What more should we know unless it's that he's dead?

it is the timing that’s the issue. If this was 3 months ago, you could easily cover up a 2-3 week absence, but not when the election is so close.

Again, I am baffled by this attitude. Do you think we should have constant cough per hour updates? He's ill enough to be in hospital. They've told us that. What more should we know unless it's that he's dead?
I agree. But in this day and age the people want an hour by hour update.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

I'm talking about when he actually got sick, when were they aware of Hicks' positive result, why they never let Biden know that he could have been infected etc., etc. and actually the American people have a right to know the details about the President's condition.

DOTA

I'm talking about when he actually got sick, when were they aware of Hicks' positive result, why they never let Biden know that he could have been infected etc., etc.
That's fair enough.
and actually the American people have a right to know the details about the President's condition.
So what should you know? He's in hospital, he's currently still the acting President. What is lacking in information that the American people deserve?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I'm talking about when he actually got sick, when were they aware of Hicks' positive result, why they never let Biden know that he could have been infected etc., etc. and actually the American people have a right to know the details about the President's condition.
I agree. When Winston Churchill was in his final illness in the 1960s I can remember his doctor saying a few words about his condition on the TV every day. Even as a child it made an impact on me, it seemed important.

DOTA

Like, honestly, we're all rubbernecking here but the idea that it's the responsibility of the state to engage with our desire for a scale of 1-10 how alive he seems doesn't strike me as terribly rational.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That's fair enough. So what should you know? He's in hospital, he's currently still the acting President. What is lacking in information that the American people deserve?
I'm talking just generally. We still don't know why he went to Walter Reed the first time. But I suppose he isn't the first POTUS to keep illnesses or conditions from the American people.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Like, honestly, we're all rubbernecking here but the idea that it's the responsibility of the state to engage with our desire for a scale of 1-10 how alive he seems doesn't strike me as terribly rational.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but on matters like this, things work differently in the US.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I must admit it feels like they're giving out a lot of information. They've listed his meds and dosages even. I'm not sure what people are expecting to see - a live feed of the pulse oximeter, cardiac monitor and temperature readings or something.

Classical Mechanic

I’m not usually one for conspiracy theories but I can see them hyping up a mild illness to create sympathy. Boris got a fair bit of goodwill for pulling through his bout.