Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I agree. My question about the law was tongue in cheek (failed I guess), because most people keep insisting on doing things the 'right way' and 'accordingly with the law'.
Yes, some actions are mistakenly called ‘laws’. They don’t seem to have any legal repercussions and Trump knows that so he understandably ignores them, and so basically there is nothing anyone can do about it except a bit of hand-wringing and complaining. It’s quite foolish to assume that people will always do what is expected of them instead of creating definitive laws that hold them to account.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I hope (and so should anyone who opposed the war in Iraq or voted for Trump with the promise to focus on America first Yada Yada) the Dems have an ace up their sleeve to if need be completely derail a Trump push for war with Iran. They are obviously playing the long game/following the Iraq script for building false narrative based support.

Definitely watch the movie Vice if you haven't yet. Almost everything that has been going on - as disorganized as it may seem--is right from the playbook.

The Firestarter

Congress has a lot of power if they choose to use it. It doesn’t matter what the AG does or doesn’t do.
They have the power to remove the president. What exactly is their other control over the executive branch ? Probably budgeting but can this happen on short notice?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They have the power to remove the president. What exactly is their other control over the executive branch ? Probably budgeting but can this happen on short notice?
They have the power to have people arrested. The last time they used it was 1935 because they’ve gone through the DoJ since, but as far as I’m aware that power still exists. They can also sue through the courts to enforce their subpoenas if the DoJ refuse to act. Like Parliament in the UK, Congress is an incredibly powerful body, they just need the will to actually use that power.

The Firestarter

They have the power to have people arrested. The last time they used it was 1935 because they’ve gone through the DoJ since, but as far as I’m aware that power still exists. They can also sue through the courts to enforce their subpoenas if the DoJ refuse to act. Like Parliament in the UK, Congress is an incredibly powerful body, they just need the will to actually use that power.
And who will carry out this order? Last time I checked they don't have a federal law enforcement agency directly reporting to them ?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
And who will carry out this order? Last time I checked they don't have a federal law enforcement agency directly reporting to them ?
If the DoJ starts refusing to carry out court ordered actions, then things get extremely serious. The final appeal is the Supreme Court of course, and if they refuse to act after that then constitutional crisis wouldn’t be strong enough to describe the situation.

The Firestarter

If the DoJ starts refusing to carry out court ordered actions, then things get extremely serious. The final appeal is the Supreme Court of course, and if they refuse to act after that then constitutional crisis wouldn’t be strong enough to describe the situation.
It's already happening.

Drifter

American
House Democrats have a new list of ‘star witnesses’ who are beyond Trump’s reach: report

Democrats investigating Donald Trump for obstruction of justice are eyeing a new strategy to break the president’s all-out oversight blockade: calling witnesses who never worked in the White House.

Key lawmakers tell POLITICO they hope to make an end run around Trump’s executive privilege assertions by expanding their circle of testimony targets to people outside government who nonetheless had starring roles in Robert Mueller’s final report. That includes presidential confidants like former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Other Russia-related figures who never served in Trump’s administration and would make for prime congressional witnesses include Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, the former top campaign officials who both pleaded guilty and faced extensive questioning by federal prosecutors working on the Mueller probe, as well as a former attorney for Michael Flynn who is cited in the special counsel’s report in an episode involving a dangled presidential pardon.

“These people could be called without any reasonable shred of a claim of executive privilege,” said Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), a pro-impeachment member of the Judiciary panel that’s leading the obstruction probe.

The new line of thinking comes amid Democrats’ mounting frustration at the White House’s ability to slow their investigations to a crawl by blocking witnesses and documents. Such a move might circumvent the president’s resistance and show much-needed momentum for the party.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019...manafort-witnesses-obstruction-investigation-

What are they hoping to get out of Christie and Lewandowski

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Whole shenanigans is a waste of time. Dems have enough to start proceedings if they want to. Lost interest in this charade.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So much for Stormy Daniels, Michael Avenatti, Michael Cohen, and the SDNY: