Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
:lol the username you quoted sounds more like a virus name
True :)

However, he is in the USA right now, does have some 'connections' and is something more than just another Twitter ITK wannabe ... just how much more is open to speculation.

But I'm not vouching for his info or anything ...

gza the genius

I would be so disappointed if we signed RVP, Welbeck is already going to struggle enough to get playing time competing with Rooney, Kagawa, and Chicharito, let alone adding him to the mix.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Lucas' official Twitter. It got deleted soon after apparently.

EDIT: Never mind, got excited like the fella on Twitter, all bollocks, as usual.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If Wenger ends up selling RVP to City, it should really make it clear to everyone (including his own players) that AW has no intention of truly fighting for the title. Even the Nasri-to-City sale - rather than selling him to us - suggested this: Arsenal are quite content to trundle along in the hope of gaining CL qualification rather than trying to win anything major.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It was a fake tweet. Some knobhead photoshopped it.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
If Wenger ends up selling RVP to City, it should really make it clear to everyone (including his own players) that AW has no intention of truly fighting for the title. Even the Nasri-to-City sale - rather than selling him to us - suggested this: Arsenal are quite content to trundle along in the hope of gaining CL qualification rather than trying to win anything major.
Wenger's hands are tied by the majority owner, there is nothing he can do about the Arsenal board wanting to make money by selling players and having a limited wage budget. They are perfectly happy as long as Arsenal get CL football. The majority owner Stan Kroenke is a lot like the Glazers, his only interest in owning sports teams is by making money and boosting the "franchise" value. And Usmanov that is the other big owner got no power at all but he seems willing to spend, he is filthy rich but so far there has been mostly talk from him. It's not impossible that Silent Stan Kroenke ends up selling his entire stake to Usmanov in the future he just want to make a sizeable profit on it.

SteveJ

Scout
True enough, but a manager with such 'clout' at Arsenal should really take a stand if indeed it's the case where players are sold against his will - it's telling that he'd rather sell his best players to teams with absolutely tremendous advantages over his own than sell to near-rivals. This makes it obvious that he's quite willing to settle for second-best in terms of title challenges. Or third-best. Or fourth...just as long as it gets Arsenal into the Champions League.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
I'm on the Caf we never check facts here hehe but I'm the first to admit I'm no currency expert and I'm aware of the booming Brazilian economy but £30/€38 million is a shit load of money for a still pretty unproven 19 year old and it would be the biggest sale in South American football history. They could bring in 2-3 decent players for that money and spend money on their stadium and in August it will be even harder to sell Lucas because then 30% of the transfer fee goes to him instead of the now 20%. The Sao Paolo president is playing a risky game, it's simply bad business to turn down that kinda money just because he hopes he can cram a few more million from United. Lucas value might increase after the Olympics but it might also go down and it's extremely unlikely they won't get any better offers than this.
I don't disagree that it is a lot of money and they'd be well advised to take it. You just had your facts wrong and based on those inaccurate facts you were putting down "South American club (s)" like they were some two-bob club from a third world country who should feel privileged that someone is bidding for their player. The fact is that the global economic dynamics and balances of the past are no longer applicable; Brazil's economy has realised its potential and is now up there with the very biggest - it's no longer an unlevel playing field so to speak.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
True enough, but a manager with such 'clout' at Arsenal should really take a stand if indeed it's the case where players are sold against his will - it's telling that he'd rather sell his best players to teams with absolutely tremendous advantages over his own than sell to near-rivals. This makes it obvious that he's quite willing to settle for second-best in terms of title challenges. Or third-best. Or fourth...just as long as it gets Arsenal into the Champions League.
Lets be fair, looking at the players has sold (or about to be sold as in RVP's case), the prices are not prices that the likes of Liverpool have traditionally paid

Personally i think Wenger has done a brilliant job on very limited resources. To have them top 3-4 every season with very little money is a miracle. He should be congratulated not scorned

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Wenger is an amazing manager. His only downfall is he's competing at a time and in the same league as the best club manager the world has ever seen.

Hal9000

Lets be fair, looking at the players has sold (or about to be sold as in RVP's case), the prices are not prices that the likes of Liverpool have traditionally paid

Personally i think Wenger has done a brilliant job on very limited resources. To have them top 3-4 every season with very little money is a miracle. He should be congratulated not scorned
I wouldn't say limited, i would say unavailable resources. After all, if his board allowed, they can probably splash the cash and increase there wages, but unfourtunatly the owners seem more interested in increasing profit than investing into the team.

RedRover

Wenger is an amazing manager. His only downfall is he's competing at a time and in the same league as the best club manager the world has ever seen.
Bit of a myth around Wenger for me - clearly very talented, but far too stubborn.

The repeated assertions that "the future's bright" and that the young kids will become superstars must be tiresome for Arsenal fans. Some players have made the leap, but a lot more haven't - the likes of Vela, Bendtner, Djourou, Song and Diaby are at best decent players but nothing more.

Being a good manager is about being flexible (among other things) and knowing when to buy - they've been in positions where they were maybe a player or two away from a league title and taking the next stop, and he's repeatedly made the same mistakes in sitting on his arse, refusing to buy the final piece of the jigsaw.

For me the shine's wearing off him - hence why Arsneal's top players walk every other season.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm not convinced that the board stops Wenger from spending heavily. Seems to me that - for whatever reason(s) - this policy suits both parties very nicely.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do think Wenger is on a very limited budget, he had no issues with buying players beforehand, sure he always had an eye for a bargain but would mix it up with some good signings along the way (overmars / wiltord etc ).

Since the Emirates was buiilt though clearly all the money is being used up, and he has not had a choice. No manager of his Esteem would be happy going 8 years without a trophy, and having the fans on his back like they were.

I personally hope they become our main rivals again, rather than the money boys of city and chelsea.

red thru&thru

@OSullivanMUFC: Wow. Heard from v.solid source #MUFC have nicked Spanish prodigy Gul Ible from #MCFC's U16s. Valued at £5m, got him free. City are FURIOUS.

Has anyone get anymore info on this? Is it true?

SteveJ

Scout
Gul Ible's one of my most-wanted players, so I'm ecstatic. Hopefully Na Ive is next on Frogie's summer shopping list.

NM

@OSullivanMUFC: Wow. Heard from v.solid source #MUFC have nicked Spanish prodigy Gul Ible from #MCFC's U16s. Valued at £5m, got him free. City are FURIOUS.

Osullivan is a caf member I think.. And see the prodigy's name FFS!

fanutd

Is it just me or does the first name + last name sounds very familiar to the word gullible ?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm depressed if anyone actually considered that being true. Obvious wum is obvious.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
@ManUtdStuff

Sao Paulo chief Marco Aurelio Cunha has conceded that Lucas Moura would be sold if United could up their bid by a few million. [tmw]

Status
Not open for further replies.