Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

He’s a LB playing CB, it’s easier as fullback to look along your line. The other CB in these cases needs to take charge and control that line.
Even Lindelof would move to pick Kane up, Shaw staying behind create one man line is never not an issue. So even when we want to say it's a team collective fault (Dalot, Fred, Lindelof, Malacia has their own fault), Shaw's fault still stands out the most.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He will learn.

Still young, made mistakes and miles away Shaw's level, but he will be good (better than Telles) when he will be called in the future.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Even Lindelof would move to pick Kane up, Shaw staying behind create one man line is never not an issue. So even when we want to say it's a team collective fault (Dalot, Fred, Lindelof, Malacia has their own fault), Shaw's fault still stands out the most.
It does but could you imagine Tony adams, John Terry, Rio, etc letting him do that? It’s not his natural position, as well as he’s done, he needs the CB talking to him and guiding him

AFC NimbleThumb

Alvaro will come in & take his lunch. He was bought at a reasonable fee so can move on in a few years hopefully.

hmchan

Agree. The defensive line should have stay leveled, and push up together. Shaw enabled Tottenham with all kind of options once the ball get to Kane.

Shaw is known to be prone to messing up offside trap . Just as AWB.
Shaw was heading back to offer a short option for de Gea, whom went for long prematurely for no reason (again). If anyone messed up the line for this goal, it's de Gea.

ti vu

Shaw was heading back to offer a short option for de Gea, whom went for long prematurely for no reason (again). If anyone messed up the line for this goal, it's de Gea.
A few posts down you see the screen capture, where Malacia was almost horizontally leveled to Shaw. Then compare that to later stage of the same sequence here.

Shaw didn't made enough effort to push forward.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I can live with a young new to this league fullback mess up defensively from time to time, what I can't understand is how god awful he is in attack, he offers absolutely nothing at all, it's like having Chris Smalling at RB all over again.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A poor decision-making cost us the goal, but he wasn't the only one to fail. My 2 cents is that he was doing a memory move thinking that the defensive line would go as up as possible, but in those conditions it was not possible for the defenders to move up as a unit.

SAF is the GOAT

It wont be outrages to say if he won't up his game - Alvaro Fernandez is genuinely a contender for that LB spot next season

Skills

Snitch
He’s just a bit shit. Pointless in possession and attack and despite rarely leaving our half his defensive positioning and awareness is still poor.

He’s a new Darmian/Williams/Telles. People are so desperate for a new signing and flavour of the month they wildly overrated a couple average performances early on and then claim they’re amazing, ignoring subsequent terrible performances. Exact same happened with Darmian, Williams, and Telles, all hyped as the greatest thing since slice bread off the back of at best average performances because people just want someone new so they can hate on the previous player. 2-3 years down the line the shine wears off and youre left with another poor player to complain about and hype up the new average replacement. Rinse and repeat.
So true.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He started the season well, then had a rough period. After a while he came good again for a while, but has struggled again recently.

Long term that inconsistency can go multiple ways. He could just be an inconsistent player and will always be like that. He could go backwards and we'll see more and more of the bad with less good (Telles and Williams are good examples of that). Or he could grow and we'll see more of the good with less bad. Nobody really knows for sure which one he'll develop into. Obviously we'll all hope for the third option, but it could easily be one of the other two.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can live with a young new to this league fullback mess up defensively from time to time, what I can't understand is how god awful he is in attack, he offers absolutely nothing at all, it's like having Chris Smalling at RB all over again.
Yep, this is a issue for me. I thought he'd be more direct offensively.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He reminds me of Quinton Fortune, I wonder how he’d fare playing midfield
In what way? Fortune was brought as a promising winger and wasn't good enough on the wing, was reverted to a makeshift left-back where he was perhaps a little better and did decent in midfield. Malacia - though very early days - seems to offer too little going forward and has been found wanting defensively for a while now. I think left-back has to be his best position, he's got decent technique and stamina, just needs to work on his positional sense.

hmchan

He’s just a bit shit. Pointless in possession and attack and despite rarely leaving our half his defensive positioning and awareness is still poor.

He’s a new Darmian/Williams/Telles. People are so desperate for a new signing and flavour of the month they wildly overrated a couple average performances early on and then claim they’re amazing, ignoring subsequent terrible performances. Exact same happened with Darmian, Williams, and Telles, all hyped as the greatest thing since slice bread off the back of at best average performances because people just want someone new so they can hate on the previous player. 2-3 years down the line the shine wears off and youre left with another poor player to complain about and hype up the new average replacement. Rinse and repeat.
Fullback/wingback is a very trick position to comment on. Their weaknesses can easily be masked in a good team performance, but exposed when the team is under pressure. The likes of Alonso, Cancelo etc. had enjoyed some great moments but were got rid of very soon after their good spell. The same applies to Malacia, and this explains all the positivity when he arrived. I'm never convinced by his performance and he's just an obvious weak link in the team, so obvious that every team is bombarding our left flank when he plays.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Runs around but is kinda rubbish and weak as hell.

Alvaro Fernandez will be watching thinking’I can have him’.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Exactly this. Been of the same view, and often seen as some sort of party pooper for saying a new or young player is a bit rubbish. Some have even accused of trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.

Malacia is, by all appearances, just a bit shit. He’s garnering fondness for also being a bit new. Almost all of a sudden, that will stop one day, and then he’ll go to being public enemy on here overnight.

Pretty sure people were even saying this guy was better than Shaw once upon a time.

glasgow 21

This is all down to the Song goal lets blame Malacia moment ,it lovely having a scapegoat isn't it makes everyone feel better. nothing to do with the Case, Lindelof and Shaw who you could have thrown a blanket over when Rashford didnt win the header. I sometimes think that United's anti Dementia health and safety policy directive is to reduce impact by 50% by never heading the ball in the oppositions half.

Holocene

Exactly this. Been of the same view, and often seen as some sort of party pooper for saying a new or young player is a bit rubbish. Some have even accused of trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.

Malacia is, by all appearances, just a bit shit. He’s garnering fondness for also being a bit new. Almost all of a sudden, that will stop one day, and then he’ll go to being public enemy on here overnight.

Pretty sure people were even saying this guy was better than Shaw once upon a time.
The same thing happened with Brandon Williams. There's even a thread on it.

jem

Like I said, I do not rate Williams particularly but he put in quite a few decent performances for us in Ole's first full season. Malacia showed a bit of energy in his first couple of appearances and fooled a lot of us but he has been criminally poor since before the World Cup and again today he just charges off and leaves Kane in acres of space to set up the equalizer. Fairly sure Williams would at least do the basics right which this clown seems totally incapable of, we were robbed and he should be finished at this club.
my god this place is ridiculous at times - a couple bad games and suddenly he’s been criminally poor since December…pathetic.

Gandalf

my god this place is ridiculous at times - a couple bad games and suddenly he’s been criminally poor since December…pathetic.
It is more than a couple of bad games, he looks completely out of his depth at this level. It was a couple of decent games early on and then reality hit. He is not good enough and has proven it in multiple games. Erik clearly does not trust him as he prefers to play Dalot out of position rather than risk another Malacia disaster class.

jem

It is more than a couple of bad games, he looks completely out of his depth at this level. It was a couple of decent games early on and then reality hit. He is not good enough and has proven it in multiple games. Erik clearly does not trust him as he prefers to play Dalot out of position rather than risk another Malacia disaster class.
go through the thread marks of the games prior to the Sevilla horror show, and you’ll find overall positive reviews on his performances in the first few months after the World Cup. You’re being revisionist saying he’s bad since then, presumably either because you’ve never liked him (Ala the likes of Yagami with Casemiro) or you’ve been blinded by his admittedly horrible past few weeks. In any event, it’s far too early to be writing him off.

jem

In a dip of form that seems to have knocked his confidence. Hope he gets over it soon
Agreed, and I think ETH is recognizing that by removing him from the line of fire. If he'd been as diabolical prior to Sevilla, as some around here claim, he would've tried out Dalot at LB far earlier.

The United

I don't see any change in him. He has always been eager and excited without having composure as a defender from the start. I never thought he was a quality player at this point. I always thought he would be a good backup, and hopefully he would grow into a decent player.

Oscar Bonavena

He's not good enough. I don't think he'll ever be good enough. And he's not an 18 or 19 year old kid, he'll be 24 this summer FFS!

It would be easier to put the boot into him if he was an arrogant, entitled twat, but he seems like a nice lad, eager. All good. But we're not a f**king charity. Every additional minute he plays on the pitch for the remainder of the season will cost us goals and points, guaranteed. I can't put it any starker than that.

Man Utd 1:0 Aston Villa

Stadjer

Some great tackles but also some questionable moments. Prone to making a stupid foul or fouling when its not really needed. Hopefully those flaws go out of his game with more games and experience.

One of the worst 'crosses' i have seen when he tried to cross at the Sancho penalty claim moment. Just kicked it out :lol:

The United

He was okay. But the guy needs to stop looking like he is fouling every time he tries to tackle. He needs a bit of composure in defending.

InfiniteBoredom

For a player whose best attribute is probably his tenacity, not dealing well at all with the physicality of the league.

Conceding silly fouls all the time, and contributes next to nothing offensively.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
That performance kind of summed up his time with us so far.

Good in possession in the first half, didn't give Villa players an inch at times. A very important last ditch tackle in the box in the first half. Thought he improved in the beginning of second half when rest of the team were dropping levels, but then he finished the game with some questionable decision-making and a naive foul in the last minutes to give them a lifeline.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That performance kind of summed up his time with us so far.

Good in possession in the first half, didn't give Villa players an inch at times. A very important last ditch tackle in the box in the first half. Thought he improved in the beginning of second half when rest of the team were dropping levels, but then he finished the game with some questionable decision-making and a naive foul in the last minutes to give them a lifeline.
I'm happy he made that foul. Thought it was good decision making, Traore tricked him, which can happen to the best of defenders.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Gave away a silly foul in the 1st half on the edge of the area too, which Villa really should've made something from. He just blatantly pushed a Villa player down to the ground :lol: . What goes through his head in that moment when we're on top ?

Status
Not open for further replies.