Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsim

He started the season in a brilliant way, but then slowly faded into nothingness as he got phased out by Shaw. Also had a couple of nightmare games. But I like his tenacity. Always puts a shift in.

I expect a lot more from him next season, though. But even if it doesn't work out, we barely paid anything for him. We should be able to sell him for at least as much if he doesn't improve next season.

BehemothTerror

Mixed bag this season, started so so well but when he's poor its so noticeable and has cost us big. For £13 million he's something of a punt but for a backup LB he's not horrible. Really needs to improve next season though given we have Álvaro Fernández also nearly ready to step up.

NoPace

I feel like his composure on the ball is weirdly ignored here. It really stands out to me as special along with his short passing.

Obviously he's got some speed and strength issues that cause problems defensively, but I think he's gonna be a good squad player here because of his passing and first touch.

Good to see him in a double pivot a lot of the time because I think that keeps him involved in the build up and not just out on the flank. Could even see him, Shaw, Lisandro and one right-sided defender at some point I think, like how City use Stones:

Rashford------#9-----------------
------#8--------Bruno-----Antony
----Malacia-Casemiro-----
Shaw---Lisandro----RCB----

city-puma

He has been really good this season overall. It’s a lot better buy than Telles.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He has been really good this season overall. It’s a lot better buy than Telles.
No argument there, still needs to learn though, he dives in to tackles too much, he needs to learn to pick his moments, I think he'll manage it though and will turn out to be a very good buy for us, might wanna practice shooting and taking corners though :)

city-puma

No argument there, still needs to learn though, he dives in to tackles too much, he needs to learn to pick his moments, I think he'll manage it though and will turn out to be a very good buy for us, might wanna practice shooting and taking corners though :)
In the final third, crossing! He is very risk aversion at the moment. Sometimes lack of ideas. It’s ok. He is very young though. Things will come together.

Klean

A full offseason in the weight room will help.

I think he has very good technical qualities but struggled to cope with the physical nature of some teams. He is 23 years old so next season will be important for him to take the next step in development.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some weird comments here. Thought he had a very good season overall. First season in the prem, displayed a ton of excellent qualities and his on the ball game and attacking game improved as the season went on too. He's extremely press resistant as well, very composed on the ball, it's just he isn't good around the box but it's improving. Shaw started off not good at all in that regard and is very good now. But Malacia is tenacious, excellent attitude, very good physical attributes, good defensively, good technically and on the ball, very good under the press. We got a great deal on him and probably have the best left back situation in Europe to be honest, between us and Arsenal I'd say. Why anybody would even think about changing something there is weird.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really like him. He’s got good a good engine, tackles well, more than enough tenacity, pace, solid ball control and a decent pass / dribble on him. For his first season in the PL I think he’s done reasonably well. What he has to work on - contribution in the final third and lapses in concentration.

Second season will be key in determining whether he can build on and grow from that, or like many of our signings they remain more of less the same mixed bag selves.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's soon to be 24 this august, and as old as Reece James and Dalot.

Wing Attack Plan R

I prefer Brandon Williams. Malacia doesn’t know how to use his body the way a similarly small Evra did, he keeps getting sucked in to a foot race with attackers, and always loses. I think a full preseason will help him, it’s a massive jump from where he was to Manchester United, so maybe it’s stage fright. We should know by Xmas whether he’s got any chance. Malacia has a great attitude and gives it his all, just currently not influential enough.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I prefer Brandon Williams. Malacia doesn’t know how to use his body the way a similarly small Evra did, he keeps getting sucked in to a foot race with attackers, and always loses. I think a full preseason will help him, it’s a massive jump from where he was to Manchester United, so maybe it’s stage fright. We should know by Xmas whether he’s got any chance. Malacia has a great attitude and gives it his all, just currently not influential enough.
Evra was 2 years older and more experienced, you'll not meet many agreeing with you re: Williams

arthurka

He has everything to become a starter for this club, but he will need to improve on couple of areas. He is a very likable fella, love his tenacity and aggression.

jem

I’m truly baffled by the criticism he gets round these parts - he had one true shocker that I can recall (the Sevilla game) but otherwise I thought he was a more than able deputy, with a fantastic attitude. The age thing is far less significant, in my opinion, than the expected growing inherent in adapting to a new league (see Sancho and Antony.) I couldn’t be happier having Dalot and Malacia as fullback depth. If Fernandez comes through and gives Ten Hag a selection dilemma, all the better.

Fabio Rochemback

Already a good signing for a £13m back up and should get better. He's too error prone to start more often at the moment, which isn't a surprise given it's his first season outside of the Dutch league.

OleGunnar20

Really good signing, sort of the anti-DVB for me - cheap, effective and lots of upside potential for the future. I can't see him truly challenging Shaw but as a rotation option I can't think of many teams who have it better.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Good debut season. He's here to provide competition for Shaw, and when Shaw is missing, the drop in quality isn't too pronounced. He ticks both those boxes for me.

He's still a bit raw, but nothing that he can't gain from experience.

Based Adnan

He's been overly criticized since his mistake vs Sevilla with some even calling him a flop and wanting him moved on.

Overall he's been a solid transfer and there's positives to take away from his first season. He's comfortable in possession and inverting into midfield which will be even more important when ETH fully implements his style. Doesn't seem prone to injury and has a good attitude as well. Needs to improve in the final third and defensively at times but a pretty good first season. Can only see him improving.

Wing Attack Plan R

Evra was 2 years older and more experienced, you'll not meet many agreeing with you re: Williams
Evra was also (as we are going to see) simply a lot better. The argument for me is similar to the DeGea argument: the first responsibility for a keeper is to keep the ball out of the net; the first responsibility for a defender is to defend. Williams is better at actual defending, although he does not have the ball control of Malacia.

As absent as Malacia’s attacking contributions are, they are still greater than Williams’. However, if we have a tricky winger to shackle, I’d trust Williams to do a job on him before Malacia. Same with AWB vs. Dalot: I think AWB handles the first responsibility (viz., defending) better than Dalot even if Dalot offers more in attack.

Maybe EtH can work his magic on Malacia second season, he deserves (or has earned) that chance. Currently I don’t think he’s got enough in his locker to start for United.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Evra was also (as we are going to see) simply a lot better. The argument for me is similar to the DeGea argument: the first responsibility for a keeper is to keep the ball out of the net; the first responsibility for a defender is to defend. Williams is better at actual defending, although he does not have the ball control of Malacia.

As absent as Malacia’s attacking contributions are, they are still greater than Williams’. However, if we have a tricky winger to shackle, I’d trust Williams to do a job on him before Malacia. Same with AWB vs. Dalot: I think AWB handles the first responsibility (viz., defending) better than Dalot even if Dalot offers more in attack.

Maybe EtH can work his magic on Malacia second season, he deserves (or has earned) that chance. Currently I don’t think he’s got enough in his locker to start for United.
No ones claiming that Malacia is going to be a regular starter yet, he's not ready IMO to do so

Abraxas

He was cheap as chips and you can see it at times. He's not the ready made product. It wasn't like buying a full back from a more established league with world class analytics. That full back would cost 50 million. It's semi worrying at his age, but still gives a little room for optimism because Feyenoord to United is a tremendously big step and it hasn't all been bad. In fact it's mostly been okay rather than bad.

I still think he's decent on the ball despite a few brainfarts. I'm not that worried about his touch or passing. It's staying on it defensively, moments of concentration, the final cross or decision. Refinement at both ends is needed which is a fairly big job in first team standards, but not such a huge job to be a backup. The only problem is if he's typecast as backup, it doesn't really provide competition or motivation to Shaw.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In with a shout for worst cameo of all time. Hartman is 10 times the player he is.

edcunited1878

He came in at a time when Netherlands were all over the shop, FdJ was a make shift CB, and he attempted a last ditch tackled that didn't come off or else the player would have had a great a clear opportunity to score. Who cares, no need to slate the lad.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He came in at a time when Netherlands were all over the shop, FdJ was a make shift CB, and he attempted a last ditch tackled that didn't come off or else the player would have had a great a clear opportunity to score. Who cares, no need to slate the lad.
Problem is that he does that often. Which means that his positioning is not good. Also he does too many fouls. He is just too much aggressive.

Stadjer

Aggressive and brainless. Worst combo to have as a defender.
He doesnt always make the smartest choice but calling him brainless is a bit much. He is just rash in his challenges. He is still young so he might be able to get it out of his game. Needs good coaching and a lot of attention though.

He was a gamble buy. If he stops being so rash he could be a good left back. If he cant get it the rashness out of his game he will likely end up at some midtable club.

edcunited1878

Problem is that he does that often. Which means that his positioning is not good. Also he does too many fouls. He is just too much aggressive.
Lots of United players foul too much, but Malacia improved throughout the season. It is part of his attribute and he has the aggression to play, but yes, he needs to learn more.

I'm not too worried about it for Malacia knowing he's naturally aggressive, young, and has a good attitude.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He doesnt always make the smartest choice but calling him brainless is a bit much. He is just rash in his challenges. He is still young so he might be able to get it out of his game. Needs good coaching and a lot of attention though.

He was a gamble buy. If he stops being so rash he could be a good left back. If he cant get it the rashness out of his game he will likely end up at some midtable club.
He is 24 next month. Hardly a young player.
I don't mind doing cheap gambles like that. But like with every gamble, you need to know when to quit. He is not good enough for United (even for squad player). Right move would be to sell him.
But he is ETH's player so i guess we will stick with him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Really good signing. Looked good from the off. His arrival must surely have spurred on Shaw, who, let’s be honest… seems to slack off if his position isn’t under threat.

Didn’t cost much and will either kick on, or just provide cover for Shaw and keep him sharp.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Now that he's been gone for a year and my rose tinted glasses towards him have come off, I have to admit; he's just not very good. When he went to United I was afraid he wouldn't be able to rise to the occasion right away, but I'm quite convinced now that he never will.

Stadjer

He is 24 next month. Hardly a young player.
I don't mind doing cheap gambles like that. But like with every gamble, you need to know when to quit. He is not good enough for United (even for squad player). Right move would be to sell him.
But he is ETH's player so i guess we will stick with him.
He had good games and he had bad games in his first season in England. He deserves atleast another year.

surf

Really good signing. Looked good from the off. His arrival must surely have spurred on Shaw, who, let’s be honest… seems to slack off if his position isn’t under threat.

Didn’t cost much and will either kick on, or just provide cover for Shaw and keep him sharp.
I prefer Dalot to Malacia at left back.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The guy is too impetuous and needs to calm down or he can be a detriment to any of his teams.

PoTMS

He's not very good. I'd rather have Telles back. At least he's good for a few bangers every now and again.

Brightonian

I like him. He's perfect back-up material. Sparky, professional, room for growth, young enough to stick around as 2nd choice for a while, hits the ground running when called upon. Offers something slightly different to Shaw too.

Yes, it would be great to have Robertson or Zinchenko to step in when Shaw gets injured, but that's not realistic. For a firm 2nd choice, Malacia is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.