g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
♪ Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
'Cos all our fans had stayed home♪

Skills

Snitch
City will play:
Everton away
Liverpool away - CL
ManUtd home
Liverpool home - CL
Spurs away

All these games in 14-15 days.
Lucky for them they can wrap up the title by the first leg against Liverpool.

Deleted member 101472

♪ Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
'Cos all our fans had stayed home♪
Blue moon, there’s empty seats over there,there’s empty seats over There, next to a man with no hair.

Giggs86

Both Liverpool and City have derby games in between their games in the Champions League.

What's more, they play Wednesday-Tuesday, so they have six days between both legs (and derbies, vs. Everton and vs. United, at the weekend).

That's nice for us and Everton.
Good chance on leaving a bad taste on City's "historic" season.

If Liverpool knock them out and we beat them to shit on their title parade all within less than a week, their best season in history will end in April with nothing left to play for, and only the PL and the league cup to show for.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Is it? I think City-Pool is one of the most dramatic pairings this draw could offer. We missed out on the clasico, of course :wenger:
We see that in the EPL even though CL will give it more meaning.

Just seems like the worst combination possible considering all the other ways it could have gone.

Andersons Dietician

Heck this could be an absolute barn stormer set of a games if this seasons encounters are anything to go by. Pool perfectly capable of turning anyone over and so are City. Reckon there could be some pretty big scorelines in this one.

Deleted member 101472

If Liverpool knock them out and we beat them to shit on their title parade all within less than a week, their best season in history will end in April with nothing left to play for, and only the PL and the league cup to show for.
Fairly decent consolation prize, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Giggs86

Fairly decent consolation prize, I’m sure they’ll be fine.
Not really. They're labeled as the best team in the PL era by a lot of pundits and many predicted them to do the quadruple. I'm sure they will be disappointed with only the PL and LC, not even a domestic double (which is PL and FA).
Pep's time with them is coming to an end and the chances of them replicating that level after he's gone are slim.

Member 90887

The key for the Liverpool-city game is the goals city can score at anfield.

If Liverpool keeps a cs, they'll have a good chance to advance, they are definitey g to score at the emptihad.

If however city scores, then it would be difficult for them, even if they win. A 4-3 would not do it at all.

It's not possible for both of them to lose, but Liverpool have more chances to lose against the other teams in the semis.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Disappointing that draw. I don't know if we will go through or not but would have preferred a proper UCL match and not another EPL tie

Richard Cranium

So many ABUs on the Have Your Say section on the BBC article:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43430473

52. Posted byEmile Heskey for England Captain
on2 hours ago
I didn't catch the draw...

Who did Man United get?
35. Posted bytaylaw
on2 hours ago
Either way, a team that Utd hate are getting through to the semis.

That'll rub salt in the wound then.
We aren't even in the competition anymore and we are still mentioned in the top rated comments :lol: Forever in our shadows.

Deleted member 101472

The Juventus Real Madrid game could go either way, and I don’t know if I would back that Juventus team against Liverpool in the semis.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good draw. I mean, one of Liverpool or City were always going to make the semis. Thankfully there wont be two of them there.

No idea why so many people are moaning.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
far more confident on facing Liverpool over two legs rather than one, even in the 4-3 we had 10 mins of madness and should really have been ahead before they went 2-1 up, hopefully Vinny will be fit and we'll possibly have Mendy back who caused them all sorts of problems in the 5-0

Thisistheone

Liverpool's Kryptonite is Jose. But Zod's been banished far, far away from planet Champions League. :)
Bad draw becaue you've hidden behind that Mane red card all season long, in typical Liverpool style, like it was the first red card in history to absolve everything that came after it.

5-0 ...but Mane, he got sent off.

poleglass red

one off game I'd give Liverpool a chance, but over 2 legs City will beat them. I actually fancy City will do them convincingly

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Bad draw becaue you've hidden behind that Mane red card all season long, in typical Liverpool style, like it was the first red card in history to absolve everything that came after it.

5-0 ...but Mane, he got sent off.
But Pep lost against us. Jose hasn't.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Disappointing that draw. I don't know if we will go through or not but would have preferred a proper UCL match and not another EPL tie
Exactly.. That was the only draw I didn't want. Barca, Real, Bayern or Juve would have been much more exciting.

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool

Two trophies before the end of April and nothing left to play for is more than ideal scenario, any fan of any team will consider it a success if their team achieves it.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It’s a football match not a history lesson !

Think about it, how does that really matter one bit ? As City carve open Liverpool what will KDB suddenly think ‘oh sh*t we’ve never won this’ and stick the ball wide ? It’s laughable to suggest that City will be undone by Liverpool’s CL/European history ! It might get into the heads of a much lesser team but not City, they have a cluster of the finest footballers on the planet and players way too good to be weighed down by events 30 odd years ago.
Nah, it is intangibles we are talking about. International football at knockout stages comes with the weight of the shirts and the memories from the past to inspire the fans and the players. Liverpool are much bigger than City overall and two legs are not the league. They can put a few DVDs on to show the current players who they are historically, City can only think of a clueless SF vs Real a few years ago. Also consider Klopp is a high-octane manager who will pump the first leg at home to get momentum, while the most recent Guardiola campaigns with Bayern all ended with unmitigated disasters.

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool
The key for the Liverpool-city game is the goals city can score at anfield.

If Liverpool keeps a cs, they'll have a good chance to advance, they are definitey g to score at the emptihad.

If however city scores, then it would be difficult for them, even if they win. A 4-3 would not do it at all.

It's not possible for both of them to lose, but Liverpool have more chances to lose against the other teams in the semis.
As long as Liverpool has advantage going into second leg, be it clean sheet or one goal lead, Liverpool should be fine going to Etihad, because than Liverpool can play their game. Away leg can Infact be an advantage to play counter-pressing as counter-pressing is nothing but counter attacking where you try to gain the ball closer to opposition goal, thus giving them lesser time for transition from attack to defense.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm in a weird position of thinking City will bury them but have this horrible odd feeling that the Scousers are going to win the whole damn thing

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Nah, it is intangibles we are talking about. International football at knockout stages comes with the weight of the shirts and the memories from the past to inspire the fans and the players. Liverpool are much bigger than City overall and two legs are not the league. They can put a few DVDs on to show the current players who they are historically, City can only think of a clueless SF vs Real a few years ago. Also consider Klopp is a high-octane manager who will pump the first leg at home to get momentum, while the most recent Guardiola campaigns with Bayern all ended with unmitigated disasters.
You really think showing some DVDs of past success can drastically improve a sides performance? Maybe Leeds and Forest just need to start showing their players DVDs of their past glories.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I'm in a weird position of thinking City will bury them but have this horrible odd feeling that the Scousers are going to win the whole damn thing
The former is 1000 times more likely than the latter. Liverpool would have very little chance against Bayern, Barca or Real/Juve.

Status
Not open for further replies.