UEFA Champions League Quarter Final fixtures (9th - 10th, 16th - 17th April 2019)

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
I know City and Liverpool are streets ahead of everyone else in the prem at the moment but I do think this might be an exhausting period for both teams. A negative result could have big consequences in the other competition which is why Spurs and Porto might be dangerous. City are hardly getting out of second gear in most games but it could come back to bite them. I remember around the time we played Inter Milan in 08/09 we were winning matches but our performances were getting worse and worse culminating in losses vs Liverpool and Fulham and struggling against Spurs and Aston Villa. Fatigue will play a part.
Don't you think this applies to Spurs more as they have basically been playing the same 11 all season due to there lack of squad depth ?.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Don't you think this applies to Spurs more as they have basically been playing the same 11 all season due to there lack of squad depth ?.
I'm holding on to this logic! The third game of our "series" is the league game, and presumably we'll both have played our best available teams in both the CL games. Hopefully that gives us an advantage for the league game because our rotation options are stronger.

Joeace2020

Anyone trusting spurs to raise their game because of a new stadium really don't know spurs and certainly do not know the meaning of "bottling it"

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I won’t be that surprised to see Spurs get a narrow win tonight but City will absolutely kill them at home regardless of the score tonight. If they need to beat them 5-0 at Etihad they will.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Anyone trusting spurs to raise their game because of a new stadium really don't know spurs and certainly do not know the meaning of "bottling it"
I Want Spurs to knock city out. They have my blessing to do so BUT they better roll over and take that L from City in the league:)

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
The phrase "bottling it" is a term used by fans who haven't got the intelligence to realise that sometimes teams just get beat by the better team. over a season you could possibly use this phrase but in a one off game it's just stupid.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The phrase "bottling it" is a term used by fans who haven't got the intelligence to realise that sometimes teams just get beat by the better team. over a season you could use this phrase but in a one off game it's just stupid.
Yep. They don’t really need to ‘bottle’ it to lose against City. Likewise Tottenham not being title race isn’t because they bottled it but because they don’t have squad nor resources to compete with City and Liverpool currently.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Everyone is making Liverpool favorite for the tie and rightly so considering the gulf between two clubs. But dont forget last time Porto played at Anfield they managed to get goalless draw at a time when our attacking play was simply scintillating. This year we have not really clicked with our attacking play but still managing to break down the teams but every game is nerve wrecking. I just hope we do professional job today and dont take Porto lightly. 2-0 would be good result as I believe we can score in away match.

Ban

Yep. They don’t really need to ‘bottle’ it to lose against City. Likewise Tottenham not being title race isn’t because they bottled it but because they don’t have squad nor resources to compete with City and Liverpool currently.
Fair to say Spurs should be careful not to bottle it cause they tend to bottle it a lot.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The phrase "bottling it" is a term used by fans who haven't got the intelligence to realise that sometimes teams just get beat by the better team. over a season you could possibly use this phrase but in a one off game it's just stupid.
Pretty much.

Ban

You really bottled it with that post.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I don't see us beating Spurs 3 times in 10 days, they'll almost certainly get a win or a draw in there somewhere. Beating them in the PL is my priority so if I had the choice I wouldn't be too unhappy with a draw or a scoring loss tonight.
It is everybodys priority. Well, except Liverpool.

Irwin99

Not quite in the same way. Of course there is massive pressure to get top 4 but to fight for the league is a different sort and Spurs aren't really fancied by anyone to win the champions league unlike City who must be thinking a quadruple is in sight. Spurs should feel as though they don't have a lot to lose in this competition really. City and Liverpool have the chance of winning the two biggest trophies and are in direct competition. That's a lot of pressure and can be exhausting in it's own right.

Dike_Manc

Barca should underestimate this counter attacking United side at its peril.

Whatever happens to Pochettino in the future these upcoming clashes with Manchester City should be taken into account. If he loses all 3 games, I'll be convinced once and for all that he is at his level at Spurs.

Schneckerl

Anyone who uses the term "bottling it" is a numpty
In most cases I agree, but is it completely unjustified to use when talking about PSG?

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
In most cases I agree, but is it completely unjustified to use when talking about PSG?
Maybe not, or maybe it's just a case that PSG didn't perform on the night, the term 'bottling it' seems to be getting used now every time a team lose a game and like i said in my earlier post sometimes teams just get beat by the better team, it doesn't mean teams have bottled it, personally i think it's a stupid immature phrase. my team for eg, if we don't win the league this season does it mean we've bottled it considering we've only lost 1 game this season or have we lost to a better team, how can a team who have only lost 1 game possibly have bottled it ? but if we don't win it i'm sure there will be plenty on here who will say we have.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone know which channel would be showing Liverpool Porto in France?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Pretty much our best lineup, though I think Lucas is unlucky to not be getting games.

Trippier worries me a lot. But we don't have any better options.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Hmmm no Bernado, KDB on the bench , Delph at LB, Mahrez starting even though he's been very poor by his standards this season. I think Spurs have a great chance to win this, not sure what Pep is thinking here, possibly underestimating Spurs or prioritising the EPL.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
There are too many different kick off times and dates already.

NoPace

Why are the games played at the same time?? I don't get it.
It's dumb as hell. Even staggering them an hour would help, you could watch the second half of whatever game you were less into at least.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Surprised by City's lineup.

No Silva the Younger, De Bruyne, Sane, Mendy, or Stones. Fernandinho and Gundogan in midfield (unusually conservative from Guardiola). Silva the Elder has been City's poorest midfielder in recent months. And Mahrez starts.

They have the bench to turn things around. Still, interesting lineup. Much more straightforward from Spurs.

Lucky number 7

It’ll be 1-0 to spurs. Harry Kane will score late on. I think there new stadium and atmosphere will give them that extra motivation to get the advantage for the second leg.