UEFA Champions League Quarter Final fixtures (9th - 10th, 16th - 17th April 2019)

Vadim

Not allowed to drink. :angel: This is all me. :p

Did Pep's City and tactics look like Pep's City and tactics tonight? Hmm?
I don’t disagree with you. You just seemed angered.

Pep tries to be too clever in CL away ties, he’s always done it.

He wants to win it for sure, he just doesn’t want to risk injury or stress to any key players. I personally think he’s obsessed with the idea of winning the fabled quadruple this season which is why he’s being pragmatic.

He’s being clever. He knows it’s a marathon, not a race. Still lots of football to be played between now and end of May.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure if I missed an earlier post from you but are you suggesting Pep cares more about the PL than the CL?
I'm in that camp, yes. If Pep wanted this tie over tonight he would have played KdB, B Silva and Sane. A couple of away goals and tie over. But he didn't.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t disagree with you. You just seemed angered.

Pep tries to be too clever in CL away ties, he’s always done it.

He wants to win it for sure, he just doesn’t want to risk injury or stress to any key players. I personally think he’s obsessed with the idea of winning the fabled quadruple this season which is why he’s being pragmatic.

He’s being clever. He knows it’s a marathon, not a race. Still lots of football to be played between now and end of May.
Fair enough. Maybe he's found his own Achilles heel (QF of CL) and panicked. But isn't that more reason to throw more resources at the problem, not less? Thinking about 'resting' players at your utmost weakest point (mentioned QF of CL) is not only suicidal but wilful.

tomaldinho1

I'm in that camp, yes. If Pep wanted this tie over tonight he would have played KdB, B Silva and Sane. A couple of away goals and tie over. But he didn't.
Surely you don't actually believe that?

What's more likely, the coach brought in to win the CL with City just got beaten fair and square OR Guardiola doesn't fancy competing for the biggest prize in European football

Beaucoup

I disagree, if anything Pep’s greatest weakness is he try’s to be too clever sometimes, showed it at Bayern and he’s showing it again.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I disagree, if anything Pep’s greatest weakness is he try’s to be too clever sometimes, showed it at Bayern and he’s showing it again.
Agreed. He seems so stubborn at times to make his first XI work, rather than subbing on proven match winners to change the dynamic of the game.

Siorac

Not allowed to drink. :angel: This is all me. :p

Did Pep's City and tactics look like Pep's City and tactics tonight? Hmm?
Yeah they did. See the stat about his away record in the CL knockout stages.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Surely you don't actually believe that?

What's more likely, the coach brought in to win the CL with City just got beaten fair and square OR Guardiola doesn't fancy competing for the biggest prize in European football
I really don't want to sound mean against Spurs. But they are so beatable by top clubs with the injuries they've had. Maybe Pep thought they were too beatable? Maybe leads on to what @Beaucoup said. Hubris.

Strange really as he doesn't make these kind of mistakes often which is why he's always close to 100 points in the league. But when he does it's at the worst possible time (nearly always QF of CL). Which makes it appear like he doesn't care enough.

el3mel

He just underestimated Spurs and thought he could win while resting players.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure if I missed an earlier post from you but are you suggesting Pep cares more about the PL than the CL?
He’s implied it in multiple interviews.

He omitted Real Madrid from his list of best European clubs over the past few years in favor of Juventus, Barcelona and Bayern, pointing to their domestic dominance. He’s spoken about the impact luck has in the competition. And his team selections have prioritized the league over the CL.

It’s right there.

Bearded One

Glad Spurs didn't bottle it as they almost always do but I wish Son scored that chance he fired over the bar late on. He was a little lucky for the goal because he was a little offside but any ref could have easily missed that. Well deserved victory for Spurs imo.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Really impressive from Spurs. That was a Poch match through and through — tight pressing, careful ball movement, tenacious from start to finish. Sets up a great second leg.

Liverpool definitely lucky with the Salah incident, but this place cracks me up. Liverpool cruised to a 2 nil and literally had an onside goal wrongly ruled out, and they’re somehow made out to be stealing a living. That tie is over, anyways.
Clear offside and a clear red card not given. What matters is the law and not if the tackle was done with intention or not. Other than that it was a deserved victory.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Glad Spurs didn't bottle it as they almost always do but I wish Son scored that chance he fired over the bar late on. He was a little lucky for the goal because he was a little offside but any ref could have easily missed that. Well deserved victory for Spurs imo.
He was onside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You think we deliberately played to not win the tie? I think we played the team of players who have played the most and been in the best recent form (except Mahrez for Sane). We were just outplayed by a Spurs side who hounded the life out of us and dominated for 70ish minutes. Honestly think we played the strongest team available. KDB is not yet back to fitness and B.Silva is injured.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He just underestimated Spurs and thought he could win while resting players.
Didn't rest anyone really though. Bernardo is injured, KDB is not yet fully fit. Sane and Mahrez was a choice between what is essentially 2 rotation options this season. He played the strongest team he could pick, we were just beaten by the better team on the night.

Schneckerl

He’s implied it in multiple interviews.

He omitted Real Madrid from his list of best European clubs over the past few years in favor of Juventus, Barcelona and Bayern, pointing to their domestic dominance. He’s spoken about the impact luck has in the competition. And his team selections have prioritized the league over the CL.
I'm sure Pep is completely unbiased about Real and there is no way he decided to have those criteria in hindsight to make his teams look better and Madrid worse.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
City will still go comfortably through to the semi finals.

It made me laugh to see Spurs fans celebrating, they'll probably lose the second leg by 3 or 4 goals!

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Despite results, both Liverpool and Man City have seen a big drop in their level of performance over the last few weeks.

I'm not sure if its pressure or fatigue, but neither team is playing particularly well.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I can’t make up my mind whether it would be better for us if Spurs knocked out City or the other way around. If City go out next week, they’ll only have to aim for the league but it might rattle them. On the other hand, if they progress, they’ll have two more very difficult matches vs Juventus which might take all their focus.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can’t make up my mind whether it would be better for us if Spurs knocked out City or the other way around. If City go out next week, they’ll only have to aim for the league but it might rattle them. On the other hand, if they progress, they’ll have two more very difficult matches vs Juventus which might take all their focus.
It will definitely be better for you if they stay in the CL IMO.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It will definitely be better for you if they stay in the CL IMO.
Yeah, that’s probably where I’m at as well. Two tough games against Juve with the second one going in to extra time.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yeah, that’s probably where I’m at as well. Two tough games against Juve with the second one going in to extra time.
I'm not even sure Juve will beat Ajax though TBH. They were outstanding against Real and I think they can get past a Juventus team that has not really been playing too well recently.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not even sure Juve will beat Ajax though TBH. They were outstanding against Real and I think they can get past a Juventus team that has not really been playing too well recently.
I can’t imagine anything other than a Juventus win, but I quite like this Ajax team so would love it if they somehow managed to replicate what they did against Real.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Nice to see Casillas' trademark complaining tweets also come out for european games.

Sterling Archer

Why are people questioning the squad selection? The squad depth of City is ridiculous and every one of those players tonite that aren't 'starters' for City would improve the first team of every squad in the Premier League. Spurs played well and City didn't. That's how I see it, not any sort of gamble backfiring.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
City will still go comfortably through to the semi finals.

It made me laugh to see Spurs fans celebrating, they'll probably lose the second leg by 3 or 4 goals!
Agree, Spurs needed more than a 1 goal cushion going into the away game. Save some refereeing/VR catastrophe awarding Spurs a penalty, which could well happen, I dont see them coming away with anything from the Etihad with anything other than a two or three nil drubbing.

cyberman

This is CL City, not league City. Spurs are nailed on to score in the return leg.

Sterling Archer

Nice to see Casillas' trademark complaining tweets also come out for european games.
For those that need a translation from Spanish:

I'm 100 percent an optimist. The tackle was a complete accident and only looks bad when you zoom in. Salah is a nice man. And you can't call handball there because both players have their eyes closed. Let's not pick on these little things because it's unfortunate enough to be a man called Alisson. That is my sister's name. The tie is not lost and we have hope going to play the return leg at home at the Dragao where we can make all the Liverpool players my sister.