Uighurs seek genocide charges against Beijing

Boycott

Tursunay Ziawudun spent nine months inside China's vast and secretive system of internment camps in the Xinjiang region. According to independent estimates, more than a million men and women have been detained in the sprawling network of camps, which China says exist for the "re-education" of the Uighurs and other minorities.

Human rights groups say the Chinese government has gradually stripped away the religious and other freedoms of the Uighurs, culminating in an oppressive system of mass surveillance, detention, indoctrination, and even forced sterilisation.

The policy flows from China's President, Xi Jinping, who visited Xinjiang in 2014 in the wake of a terror attack by Uighur separatists. Shortly after, according to documents leaked to the New York Times, he directed local officials to respond with "absolutely no mercy". The US government said last month that China's actions since amounted to a genocide. China says reports of mass detention and forced sterilisation are "lies and absurd allegations".

First-hand accounts from inside the internment camps are rare, but several former detainees and a guard have told the BBC they experienced or saw evidence of an organised system of mass rape, sexual abuse and torture.

Tursunay Ziawudun, who fled Xinjiang after her release and is now in the US, said women were removed from the cells "every night" and raped by one or more masked Chinese men. She said she was tortured and later gang-raped on three occasions, each time by two or three men.

Ziawudun has spoken to the media before, but only from Kazakhstan, where she "lived in constant fear of being sent back to China", she said. She said she believed that if she revealed the extent of the sexual abuse she had experienced and seen, and was returned to Xinjiang, she would be punished more harshly than before. And she was ashamed, she said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55794071

Zlatattack

we need a BDS style movement against the Chinese. It's a win win for everyone other than the CCP.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
we need a BDS style movement against the Chinese. It's a win win for everyone other than the CCP.
BDS has had virtually no significant impact on tiny Israel, despite general global sympathy for the Palestinians. Why would a similar campaign make any impression on massive China’s policies towards the Uighurs, to whom the world is largely indifferent?

AaronRedDevil

It’s insane how they just casually got away with it. They basically did the Holocaust to those people and no one cared enough to fight them. Protest won’t do shit, especially in China.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Shiieeeet. They just admitted to everything? That tweet will disappear in... hopefully many screenshots already grabbed.
It has already disappeared, but here's a tweet that captured it:

The Firestarter

"Baby making machines". I wonder how many will try to defend the disgusting policies of the CCP here.

Zlatattack

What does BDS stand for?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

BDS has had virtually no significant impact on tiny Israel, despite general global sympathy for the Palestinians. Why would a similar campaign make any impression on massive China’s policies towards the Uighurs, to whom the world is largely indifferent?
If BDS was so ineffective Israel wouldn't be lobbying to have it labelled anti semitic. Its not had the traction it should have had because most western political leaders bow down to kiss Netenyahus ring. Israel is an outpost of Western culture and values in the Arab world - it gets special treatment.

China however is a direct threat to the global military and political dominance of the USA and its Western allies. Its in thier best interests to take it down a notch or two - even better if it can be done without direct trade wars.

A BDS like movement is an opportunity for them to have thier cake and eat it vis a vis China.

2cents

Scout
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

If BDS was so ineffective Israel wouldn't be lobbying to have it labelled anti semitic. Its not had the traction it should have had because most western political leaders bow down to kiss Netenyahus ring. Israel is an outpost of Western culture and values in the Arab world - it gets special treatment.

China however is a direct threat to the global military and political dominance of the USA and its Western allies. Its in thier best interests to take it down a notch or two - even better if it can be done without direct trade wars.

A BDS like movement is an opportunity for them to have thier cake and eat it vis a vis China.
Right, so you envision a state-sponsored campaign cynically led by the US which also gives not two shits about the Uighurs? To be fair, it may be the best to hope for. And since I offer no solutions of my own, any further comment from me is redundant.

Zlatattack

Right, so you envision a state-sponsored campaign cynically led by the US which also gives not two shits about the Uighurs? To be fair, it may be the best to hope for. And since I offer no solutions of my own, any further comment from me is redundant.
Not state sponsored. Nobody liked the optics of Trumps trade wars, I'm not sure how Wall St reacted to it, can't imagine it was good.

I suspect if they were on board it'd be via the back door. couraging the left to campaign for boycotts, celebrity endorsement, consumer behaviour, all coupled with diplomatic level concern for the Uighyrs (lip service). Once a popular narrative is built then businesses could start shifting manufacturing to cheaper countries (ironically even taking advantage of OBOR infrastructure projects).

It would never get as far as sanctions, China buys far too much from us (yes, I consider myself a part of the Western world too).

bsCallout

How have I never heard of this? Wow. How has it not been internationally condemned?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56163220

Canada's parliament declares China's treatment of Uighurs 'genocide'

Canada's House of Commons has voted overwhelmingly to declare China's treatment of its Uighur minority population a genocide.
The motion - which passed 266 to 0 - was supported by all opposition parties and a handful of lawmakers from the governing Liberal Party.
Prime Minister Justice Trudeau and most members of his cabinet abstained.
The motion makes Canada just the second country after the United States to recognise China's actions as genocide.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Respect to Canada. Passed it with zero nays too, at least there is some humanity in politics.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Respect to Canada. Passed it with zero nays too, at least there is some humanity in politics.
Lots of abstentions though. Basically the government didn't want to commit either way and therefore all ministers were absent, except for the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who said that he abstained on behalf of the government. It's too messy politically: calling it a genocide is a big word and would anger China and hence likely harm the two Canadians currently in custody there; but not agreeing to the motion would have been particularly weak in the face of a clear abuse of human rights that is very similar to how Canada's Indigenous Peoples have been treated, which has been labelled (cultural) genocide over here. So: abstention.

In fact, one reason for the Conservative Party to table this motion may have been to try and make the Liberals look bad, as they had to either (further) blow up their relationship with China or appear weak on human rights. (Although MP Michael Chong, who was behind the motion, seems to have a lot of integrity.) Abstention is some lukewarm and kinda safe middle ground between those two. If you're interested, there's some further discussion in this CBC article.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for the information. Interesting. Still good on Canada I say.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks for the information. Interesting. Still good on Canada I say.
Yeah, obviously it does reflect where general opinion/sentiment is at. There were only two MPs who actually rejected the motion, if I remember correctly. (Don't know who or why.)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So horrible. Just like that
deleted. what did the original tweet say?

the foreign policy establishments, and by extension mainstream news sources, of most western countries desire a good relationship with israel, however, many of them seem to be locked into rising tensions with china for non-uyghur reasons. support from the top can change views at the bottom.
i also think charges of sinophobia, singling out one country, etc, will not stick properly from opponents of such a campaign.

2cents

Scout
the foreign policy establishments, and by extension mainstream news sources, of most western countries desire a good relationship with israel, however, many of them seem to be locked into rising tensions with china for non-uyghur reasons. support from the top can change views at the bottom.
Perhaps, but even if this is the case there still seems little reason to believe it would actually have an impact on Chinese policies vis-a-vis the Uighurs, instead of generating a defensive response from Beijing. These conditions aren’t new, they have existed in various degrees since the Chinese Revolution, and through times when most Western countries had far less extensive ties and were far less dependent in many ways on Chinese good will. And throughout those years there was another beleaguered Chinese minority which had a much higher profile and attracted a much higher degree of sympathy in the West than the Uighurs do today. Support from celebrities, the elevation of the Dalai Lama into some kind of wise old deity, “Free Tibet” t-shirts, and even calls for a boycott of China from sections of the Tibetan diaspora, have made no impact.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Perhaps, but even if this is the case there still seems little reason to believe it would actually have an impact on Chinese policies vis-a-vis the Uighurs, instead of generating a defensive response from Beijing. These conditions aren’t new, they have existed in various degrees since the Chinese Revolution, and through times when most Western countries had far less extensive ties and were far less dependent in many ways on Chinese good will. And throughout those years there was another beleaguered Chinese minority which had a much higher profile and attracted a much higher degree of sympathy in the West than the Uighurs do today. Support from celebrities, the elevation of the Dalai Lama into some kind of wise old deity, “Free Tibet” t-shirts, and even calls for a boycott of China from sections of the Tibetan diaspora, have made no impact.
Ya you're right, I was automatically thinking of it from the point of view of harming the Chinese economy rather than stopping their uhhh policies towards Uighurs.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Dutch parliament: China's treatment of Uighurs is genocide

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch parliament on Thursday passed a non-binding motion saying the treatment of the Uighur Muslim minority in China amounts to genocide, the first such move by a European country.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-china-uighurs-idUSKBN2AP2CI

Dutch parliament are also recognising the horrific treatment of Uighyurs. Might lead a few other European parliaments to do the same.

Will it have any larger impact? Probably not, but it will be good for China to know that they're under the microscope.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dutch parliament: China's treatment of Uighurs is genocide

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch parliament on Thursday passed a non-binding motion saying the treatment of the Uighur Muslim minority in China amounts to genocide, the first such move by a European country.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-china-uighurs-idUSKBN2AP2CI

Dutch parliament are also recognising the horrific treatment of Uighyurs. Might lead a few other European parliaments to do the same.

Will it have any larger impact? Probably not, but it will be good for China to know that they're under the microscope.
Same link as I had above. ;)

Anyway, yeah, momentum needs to be built. China has been quite good in talking to countries in isolation, and almost no country in the world can deal with the impact of Chinese economic sanctions on its own. (See also Australia; and that's also why the Canadian and Dutch governments won't be doing anything with these parliamentary motions.) If countries could group together and exert pressure on China though, it's a different situation. But that's wishful thinking I suppose. I mean, countries could be stronger by collaborating on many things, but generally, they don't; so I'm cynical about the chances for an international pressure campaign for the benefit of the Uighurs...

Last edited:

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Same link as I had above. ;)

Anyway, yeah, momentum needs to be built. China has been quite good in talking to countries in isolation, and almost no country in the world can deal with the impact of Chinese economic sanctions on its own. (See also Australia; and that's also why the Canadian and Dutch governments won't be doing anything with these parliamentary notions.) If countries could group together and exert pressure on China though, it's a different situation. But that's wishful thinking I suppose . I mean, countries could be stronger by collaborating on many things, but generally, they don't; so I'm cynical about the chances for an international pressure campaign for the benefit of the Uighurs...
Ah - sorry, I totally missed that!

(I was actually reading this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56234776 earlier today regarding your latter point).

Overall, I agree, I doubt nations recognising it as a genocide will change much. But I do believe the more exposure, and more airtime this gets the better. It's not the same as events with George Floyd last summer, but we did see the power of the internet and in exposing and making public issues of race and prejudice. In the same vein, with enough people realising what's going on in China with regards to the Uighyurs, who knows, we might see some international pressure down the line.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah - sorry, I totally missed that!

(I was actually reading this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56234776 earlier today regarding your latter point).

Overall, I agree, I doubt nations recognising it as a genocide will change much. But I do believe the more exposure, and more airtime this gets the better. It's not the same as events with George Floyd last summer, but we did see the power of the internet and in exposing and making public issues of race and prejudice. In the same vein, with enough people realising what's going on in China with regards to the Uighyurs, who knows, we might see some international pressure down the line.
Yeah, that's the advantage of social media. I am still not sure what that would accomplish if it all happens outside China, as China wouldn't have to care too much and they can control the internet inside the country; but obviously, anything that people do is better than just accepting the situation and ignoring it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Those parliament recognizing the uighur situation it makes me even more mad. Because if they have the proofs and they know it for sure, why they still not do something meaningful? at the end of the day is just hypocritical. It will mean nothing and it says that I will keep making business with them despite I know everything and I am telling to everyone that I know.

Is like going to kiss the ugly girl/boy walking and shouting along the way that it makes you vomit

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Those parliament recognizing the uighur situation it makes me even more mad. Because if they have the proofs and they know it for sure, why they still not do something meaningful? at the end of the day is just hypocritical. It will mean nothing and it says that I will keep making business with them despite I know everything and I am telling to everyone that I know.

Is like going to kiss the ugly girl/boy walking and shouting along the way that it makes you vomit
What would you like the Western nations to do?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What would you like the Western nations to do?
The simple thing is not calling a genocide and shut up

The difficult would be, among other things start putting measures to punish/reward companies to shift supply chain to other countries (SEA, India, others), stop institutional collaboration, sanctions, etc..

Yes, we are deeply intertwined with China, but with parliaments recognizing a genocide and not doing anything is setting a precedent that they don't care if it happens another holocaust as long as we can profit of.

So keep profiting and shut up or speak up and act accordingly

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

You have to make a difference between parliaments and governments though. Both in Canada and the Netherlands, whatever parliament thinks, the governments haven't committed to anything, and they are the ones who are in charge of and responsible for each country's relationship with China. That's why I said originally that this is partly a political game, to make governing parties look bad for ignoring the motion - since I doubt any MP is actually expecting the government to take action. (I mean, do you think the Cons would act any differently here in Canada if they were in charge instead of the Liberals? I really doubt it - but the motion came from them.)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You have to make a difference between parliaments and governments though. Both in Canada and the Netherlands, whatever parliament thinks, the governments haven't committed to anything, and they are the ones who are in charge of and responsible for each country's relationship with China. That's why I said originally that this is partly a political game, to make governing parties look bad for ignoring the motion - since I doubt any MP is actually expecting the government to take action. (I mean, do you think the Cons would act any differently here in Canada if they were in charge instead of the Liberals? I really doubt it - but the motion came from them.)
Who chooses the government? who can hold a vote of confidence?

I know is a political game, but is highly hypocritical from the parliament not to expect anything from the government to take action

Also, this motions are government lead because the majority of those parliaments are from the government backed parties, so you can't separate government and parliament as they have nothing to do and they pressure the government. they are in the end the government