UK European Elections 2019 | Results Tonight from 10pm

vidic blood & sand

Considering the leave remain split how is a landslide even possible? Assuming they go full on remain how are they going to get a landslide over anyone?
There was only a 37% turn out in the EU elections, which shows that the majority of people in the UK are not passionate in the convictions about Brexit. I think this was also evident in the general election when Corbyn focused more on other concerns with his manifesto which resonated more with people compared to the Conservative Brexit campaign.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think Labour should be all set to defeat the shittest Conservative party for generations (ever?) by an absolute landslide, not watching the Lib Dems carve out a massive chunk of their electorate while poll after poll puts Corbybn as undesirable a PM as the gobshites squabbling over who will lead the Tories.
You think people will vote Lib Dem in a general election?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Don't be disrespectful. She's 71 and fighting a campaign for what she believes in. Puts herself across very well too.
I genuinely meant it. Last night at 1am (?) was the first time I’ve heard her in this process and she sounded batshit crazy. I hope she was drunk, as someone that unhinged shouldn’t be in the public eye.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I voted for the Greens because of Corbyn trying to ride both horses. Just come out for Remain and Labour will walk the election. But he's a stubborn so-and-so, so he probably won't budge.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be honest, there are a few countries in the EU that will go out of their way to get a deal done with us, even in a post a no deal exit.

I can’t see Brexit happening at all for the reasons you’ve mentioned above. It’ll be a second referendum and then remain. It’ll lead to a huge surge in far right support as a result.
If these countries are part of the EU they won't be able to do a trade deal with you, other than as part of the EU as a whole. That's one the greatest strengths of the EU and the idea that Britain can decide which individual EU countries it would like to negotiate trade deals with is one of the biggest lies swallowed by (some of) the British electorate.

Dave89

I voted for the Greens because of Corbyn trying to ride both horses. Just come out for Remain and Labour will walk the election. But he's a stubborn so-and-so, so he probably won't budge.
And when there is an election he will. But where is the sense in doing it now, losing the support of leave MPs in Labour and dividing the party without having the chance to pick up more MPs from remain votes?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If these countries are part of the EU they won't be able to do a trade deal with you, other than as part of the EU as a whole. That's one the greatest strengths of the EU and the idea that Britain can decide which individual EU countries it would like to negotiate deals with is one of the biggest lies swallowed by (some of) the British electorate.
Or how about the lie that the UK will be able to form its own trade deals outside of the EU, free from their shackles, no longer limited to the customs union, engaging with the world's largest econ.. oh wait..

EU Free trade agreements

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Considering the leave remain split how is a landslide even possible? Assuming they go full on remain how are they going to get a landslide over anyone?
Ok, a landslide was the wrong word to use. A convincing GE victory, is what they should be capable of.

The Conservatives are in a tail-spin and UKIP have had a fairly disasterous few years of their own, despite getting a lot of votes (from their own base and from Tories) when they temporarily turn themselves into the single issue Brexit party.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't be disrespectful. She's 71 and fighting a campaign for what she believes in. Puts herself across very well too.
Articulate, coherent, dynamic and inspiring, I can see why you have been swept up by her liquid gold tongue.

DOTA

Ok, a landslide was the wrong word to use. A convincing GE victory, is what they should be capable of.

The Conservatives are in a tail-spin and UKIP have had a fairly disasterous few years of their own, despite getting a lot of votes (from their own base and from Tories) when they temporarily turn themselves into the single issue Brexit party.
The latest GE polls give Labour a comfortable majority.

NinjaFletch

She's not crazy, she's a passionate leaver.

Which is a shame, you'd have thought, given that her primary contribution to this election is a racist tirade.

Hardly helps try and convince people that Brexit is not an inherently racist position when people like her are gleefully accepted by Brexit voters.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
And when there is an election he will. But where is the sense in doing it now, losing the support of leave MPs in Labour and dividing the party without having the chance to pick up more MPs from remain votes?
Was saying to my mates this morning that Corbyn isn't arsed about losing in the EU election because he doesn't want to be in it. I hope you're right about the GE.

vidic blood & sand

Which is a shame, you'd have thought, given that her primary contribution to this election is a racist tirade.

Hardly helps try and convince people that Brexit is not an inherently racist position when people like her are gleefully accepted by Brexit voters.
Racist?

DOTA

Anne Widdecombe? A racist!? Next you'll be accusing her of homophobia. I know your sort.

spiriticon

I think remainers should be made to foot the entire EU bill if we remain. I'd like to see how many would still vote to remain.

NinjaFletch

Anne Widdecombe? A racist!? Next you'll be accusing her of homophobia. I know your sort.
I know, right?

Hard to believe that a woman who danced badly on Strictly once could possibly hold views that she repeatedly showed she held during a long political career, isn't it?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think remainers should be made to foot the entire EU bill if we remain. I'd like to see how many would still vote to remain.
Does it work the other way too? Should leavers foot the entire bill of leaving as well?

DOTA

I know, right?

Hard to believe that a woman who danced badly on Strictly once could possibly hold views that she repeatedly showed she held during a long political career, isn't it?
Exactly! She did the dancy thing and looked silly.

No one who is capable of looking semi-human on an entertainment program could be evil (I've just remembered that this is how Boris happened and depressed myself).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The latest GE polls give Labour a comfortable majority.
Eh?

The latest YouGov/Times voting intention survey sees the vote share for the two main parties slump to 24% each since last week's results. Their combined 48% is the lowest two-party share of the vote YouGov has ever recorded.
EDIT: Actually, there's been a more recent poll. My bad. Feck all difference anyway.

NinjaFletch

I like spirticons idea.

I assume we're also splitting the £62bn the EU adds to our economy a year between us too, right?

DOTA

From the 8-9th?

Anyway, if you insist I'll find you a more recent poll that shows a Lab majority. I'll find you two or three if you're that fussed (I'm obviously lying, as I can't be arsed but you know what I mean).

EDIT - Just checked the latest. Current polling only puts Labour 71 seats ahead of the Tories, so I do apologise.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Or just leave with no deal.....
So you still need to pay the divorce bill, furthermore you now have zero trade deals meaning you'll lose money across the board every single day compared to being in the EU until you sort out new trade deals. The EU just spend six years if I remember correctly negotiating with Japan. Now the UK has to do that with every single bloc or country you want to trade with, only now you're at a severely disadvantaged negotiating position meaning you'll still end up with worse deals than when you were in the EU. In short, it'll be expensive.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Have no idea how much difference it would have made but wish there was a Remain Party as not to split the vote.
I doubt it would have made much of a difference, and the votes wouldn't have been paid much attention to if the turnout was still low.

Change UK might have done marginally better if they had just called themselves the Remain Party but either way I can't see them being around in a year's time.

NinjaFletch

From the 8-9th?

Anyway, if you insist I'll find you a more recent poll that shows a Lab majority. I'll find you two or three if you're that fussed (I'm obviously lying, as I can't be arsed but you know what I mean).
Survation have Labour +5, Panelbase (whoever they are?) +10, and Opinium +1.

Pretty atrocious considering, but they've done well recently out of BP cannibalising the Tory vote.

For what it's worth though, I imagine the BP vote will drift away a bit once we move away from the EU election cycle.

DOTA

Survation have Labour +5, Panelbase (whoever they are?) +10, and Opinium +1.

Pretty atrocious considering, but they've done well recently out of BP cannibalising the Tory vote.

For what it's worth though, I imagine the BP vote will drift away a bit once we move away from the EU election cycle.
And that is huge lead in seats, according to the silly thing I pretend to trust?

EDIT - It's science... https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
We’re still going to be talking about this in ten years, aren’t we? :(
Last time it took 75 years to decouple from Europe.

1531 - Henry VIII starts to decouple us from the Catholic Church
1534 - Act of Parliament declares sovereignty
1536 - Church of England is created
1555 - Queen Mary revokes the 1534 act of Parliament and we become Catholic again.
1559 - Queen Elizabeth 1 reintroduces the act which declares our sovereignty again.
1570 - Elizabeth is excommunicated by the Pope breaking communion
1604-1611 - King James Bible is created to be free of previous Catholic and other influences.
1625 - King Charles marries a Catholic
1627 - King Charles dissolves Parliament to avoid criticism after his military force had gone to the aid of the Protestant forces in France ( Vs the Catholic french forces, but that had no gone well).
1628 - K.C assembles a new Parliament but Parliament does not give him the right to raise taxes.
1625-37 King Charles raises his own finances through various direct taxation means and fines.
1638-1640 Scottish rebellion over his church reforms in Scotland.
1640 - King Charles recalls Parliament again (twice) needing to raise money
1640-1641 - Parliament is like "From know on you can't do anything without our say"
1642 - Charlie's tries to arrest Parliament
1642-1646 - Civil War
1648-1649 - Civil War 2
1649-1651 - Civil War 3
1647-1660 - Christmas is banned (yes really)
1688 onwards - freedom of religion is slowly introduced

So yeah. I think we'll be talking about is in 50 years time