Under 21 European Championship 2021 (March & May - June)

GlasgowCeltic

Boothroyd’s definitely one of the worst managers in the football league over the last few decades, have no idea how he managed to blag his way to the Prem smashing it up to Marlon King

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Based on what? Looking at their starting lineup tonight it's fairly average.

Ramsdale (worst keeper in the PL)

Aarons
Tanganga
Wilmot
Kelly

Eze
Skipp
Gallagher

McNeil
Nketiah
Jones

Nothing there screams greatness to me.
It’s worth considering that is still a team of premier league regulars near enough. The opposition sides are nowhere near the same level in terms of club sides. The Swiss side is mainly local based and their arguably best player can barely get a game for Saints. The England team is comfortably one of the strongest on paper in the tournament even with the players ‘missing’. They should be doing a lot better than they currently do. Even the Portugal side, you’d say that England team plays a higher level than most of them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Even the Portugal side, you’d say that England team plays a higher level than most of them.
But most of that generation of Portugal players won under 17's and 19´s Euros and reached another Final in the under 19`s against Spain with the generation of 2000. True England alson won the under 17 WC with the generation of 2000 but the great players from that generation are already on the main squad. And there's nothing wrong about that. But when you are going to play against a team where 80% of the starters have been playing together for 5 or 6 years at NT Level or Youth League level it makes the difference.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
But most of that generation of Portugal players won under 17's and 19´s Euros and reached another Final in the under 19`s against Spain with the generation of 2000. True England alson won the under 17 WC with the generation of 2000 but the great players from that generation are already on the main squad. And there's nothing wrong about that. But when you are going to play against a team where 80% of the starters have been playing together for 5 or 6 years at NT Level or Youth League level it makes the difference.
Of course, it’s a strong Portugal side and they are probably favourites to win it. There’s no shame in losing to them, it was just in response to people downplaying the level of the England squad when in reality they all play a higher level than pretty much every squad in the tournament.

England’s only missing players from that u17 squad are Foden and Sancho I think. Sancho only played 1/2 games and went home after the groups if I remember correctly. The rest of the squad is still involved or haven’t progressed at a level to be good enough for u21s. A lot of the players have really struggled to kick on from the u17s. About half of the team is still involved, Brewster, CHO, Smith-Rowe, Guehi, Sessegnon and Gallagher. The majority of players who aren’t involved now is because they are not good enough as opposed to being in the first team. England’s issues really are just down to the manager. He’s inept and out his depth.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Boothroyd’s definitely one of the worst managers in the football league over the last few decades, have no idea how he managed to blag his way to the Prem smashing it up to Marlon King
Decided to read up more about him, a promotion with Watford in 2006 and feck all after that. Missed the playoffs in league 1 with Colchester, got sacked by Coventry and had Northampton bottom of the football league before getting sacked.

He won the Toulon tournament with England though in 2018

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Of course, it’s a strong Portugal side and they are probably favourites to win it.
They can lose to Italy. By the way the team who played the best football of the tournament was Denmark.

There’s no shame in losing to them, it was just in response to people downplaying the level of the England squad when in reality they all play a higher level than pretty much every squad in the tournament.
Yes, but they lacked cohesion and mutual understanding on the pitch, it’s not only the clubs or the leagues where you play. I didn’t even bothered to check where the majority of the Danish players come from, but I suspect a lot of them don’t play on the best clubs in the world.
England’s only missing players from that u17 squad are Foden and Sancho I think. Sancho only played 1/2 games and went home after the groups if I remember
Yes the 3 best players were Sancho, Foden and CHO, Brewster and Gibbs White were also interesting on that tournament. Anyway it’s not the end of the world if they keep producing players on a high level frequency playing in the best leagues in the world. So the most difficult thing, that is to produce players with quality for the main team has happened, regardless of under 21 titles.

padzilla

Hipster
Given the FA have a penchant for hiring dull boring coaches over the years - see not picking Clough as manager decades ago and hiring Southgate - I would not be surprised to see Boothroyd become the senior coach once England inevitably collapse at the next tournament.

Classical Mechanic

Given the FA have a penchant for hiring dull boring coaches over the years - see not picking Clough as manager decades ago and hiring Southgate - I would not be surprised to see Boothroyd become the senior coach once England inevitably collapse at the next tournament.
:lol:

No chance. It will be someone like Lampard so we can have some glorious failure messiah style.

On Boothroyd

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do England have better options than Boothroyd though?

Classical Mechanic

Do England have better options than Boothroyd though?
I think the u21 job should go to a young up and coming coach rather than someone who had tumbled down the leagues in quick order to the point of being literally at the bottom of the whole structure. Is there any worse coach than one who in 6 years went from the Premier League to the bottom of League 2 as a manager?

padzilla

Hipster
I find it odd that England tend to use the u-21s to find employment for managers with poor records at club level rather than, y'know, help the young lads develop.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Southgate is not a very talented coach but I understood why the England hierarchy liked and respected him. He brought a much needed humility to the proceedings with England, tries to impose a style of play, treats the players firmly but respectfully, handles the media ok... unfortunately he isn't near good enough to build on the foundations he's laid. Too defensive, poor tactically, still plays favourites to the detriment of much better players, doesn't instil any confidence or arrogance in his team now they've got real talent, only timidness and "sensible" boring decision making.

Boothroyd on the other hand...is he a nice guy? Respectful / respectable? Any modicum of style of play or tactical or coaching ability? Good with the press? At least Southgate can instill a team ethic in a set of players, Boothroyd always has teams playing like strangers. And he's never even shown anything different to that either.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the u21 job should go to a young up and coming coach rather than someone who had tumbled down the leagues in quick order to the point of being literally at the bottom of the whole structure. Is there any worse coach than one who in 6 years went from the Premier League to the bottom of League 2 as a manager?
By comparison the German u21 coach, Stefan Kuntz:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/stefan-kuntz/leistungsdatenLigenNational/trainer/134

These jobs usually don't attract the best and brightest and England is probably not a country one would associate with young progressive coaches either.

Classical Mechanic

These jobs usually don't attract the best and brightest and England is probably not a country one would associate with young progressive coaches either.
There are a number of young coaches that have been mooted to take over from Boothroyd that have interesting records in youth football. Personally I'd be more interested to see one of those take over than a lot of the names like Lampard and Wilder that are being thrown about. Jody Morris would be an interesting choice who has been highly successful at youth level.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
https://www.transfermarkt.com/stefan-kuntz/leistungsdatenLigenNational/trainer/134

We could at least use a manager that wants to play progressive, attacking football.

With the players we have available we should be able to manage more than 2 shots on goal in a match.

It doesn't need to be a manager with a big reputation either, more of a well known youth coach.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They might not see it as a problem because of the number of youngsters being brought up to the senior squad. Unfortunately I think that is more down to the fact they are very good and it is the clubs who are developing them not the U-21 set up.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

On Kuntz, you're looking at the next Bundestrainer so show some respect :wenger:

On the bolded, this association (or lack of) might be becoming outdated and prejudiced at this point.
Don't become like Bela Rethy, who still casually drops the "kick and rush" line when talking about the PL, as if it weren't the league where all of Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Bielsa, Ancelotti, Hasenhüttl, and Graham Potter practice their craft. Dean Smith beating Klopp 7-2 and things like that.

Last edited:

SwedishFish

Well I mean, Southgate and Pearce didn't exactly do much better. Although Pearce actually made the finals once. Something Southgate clearly is reluctant to do ( :rolleyes: )

Maybe it's the quality of coaches to a big extent.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
On Kuntz, you're looking at the next Bundestrainer so show some respect :wenger:

On the bolded, this association (or lack of) might be becoming outdated and prejudiced at this point.
Don't become like Bela Rethy, who still casually drops the "kick and rush" line when talking about the PL, as if it weren't the league where all of Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Bielsa, Ancelotti, Hasenhüttl, and Graham Potter practice their craft. Dean Smith beating Klopp 7-2 and things like that.
There is of course always the possibility of improvement, but two interesting English coaches in the PL doesn't necessarily mean that the 25th best coach (as in the best one who would be willing to take over a u21 team) in the country is the same.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
There is of course always the possibility of improvement, but two interesting English coaches in the PL doesn't necessarily mean that the 25th best coach (as in the best one who would be willing to take over a u21 team) in the country is the same.
I don't know.

But I get the feeling that the FA might be playing favouritism and might be an old boys club, while for all I know there just as well might be good coaches out there.

I'm just guessing, but based on the examples we have of actual British coaches doing a good job, in recent years, I don't perceive a lack of 'progressivism'. Rodgers and Howe can be included.

GlasgowCeltic

Wasn't aware that Lee Carsley is in charge of the under 20s, plodding twat of a player but maybe he'll make a decent coach

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well I mean, Southgate and Pearce didn't exactly do much better. Although Pearce actually made the finals once. Something Southgate clearly is reluctant to do ( :rolleyes: )

Maybe it's the quality of coaches to a big extent.
Didn't Southgate win the Toulon tournament which got him the England job.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
France isnt nearly as good as I thought. Sure they're ahead, but we've had opportunities so far and our best players are either in the euro's squad or injured.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
France isnt nearly as good as I thought. Sure they're ahead, but we've had opportunities so far and our best players are either in the euro's squad or injured.
All other teams just could do their best and expect that France individual talents don't work as team, because if they click, it's going to be very difficult for any team to get a scrap at the game.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are never as good as you expect them to be. Very much like the national team.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Holland's bench doesnt sound promising in cas you need to change the game. We have similar problems as you guys, I guess. We have a decent joker on Gonçalo Ramos, and that's about it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Holland's bench doesnt sound promising in cas you need to change the game. We have similar problems as you guys, I guess. We have a decent joker on Gonçalo Ramos, and that's about it.
We miss 3 guys in comparison to the group stages. Gakpo (going to the euros) Lang (injured) and Brobbey (Injured). Im amazed we did as well as we have honestly. Though that's mostly because France manages to do feck all with all that talent.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Why did you think we were good? Our youth teams are always bad no matter who starts for them.