United executives to meet fans to discuss Mourinho's complaints over the 'quiet' atmosphere at OT

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The bolded part would completely kill off any atmosphere and attendances would drop alarmingly, no chance it'll ever happen.

My problem is that they've made too much of OT corporate/VIP seating. I used to sit just next to the quadrant linking the Stretford End to the SAF stand, the atmosphere was buzzing and it helped carry it over from the Stretford End and it worked. Unfortunately, they've made it into VIP seating and now we're about 40 seats away from where we used to sit and the atmosphere is dead because it doesn't get carried over anymore.

I'm sure there's a few articles that the club would be in favour of introducing safe-standing, that would help also but we're a while away from that I think.
I personally don't think having live football will hurt attendances. United games are sold out regardless. If anything better atmosphere at grounds would pull in more match goers.

JK-27

Jose is right, it has been appallingly quiet recently. It's embarrassing to have small away fan contingents like there was against Huddersfield and Bournemouth out sing, chant, and cheer a stadium of 70,000 Utd supporters. I was at a Palace game recently, which is a ground of 20,000 and the noise there was immense, produced by a ground a third the size of OT. They have a drum section that leads all the chanting and produces noise and it was great. Looking forward to going back there for the Utd match in a few weeks.

At OT there is a large contingent of fans who are there for one game, or their first time at OT, and they don't know the chants so maybe we can do more to let people know what the chants are. Put them in match day programmes or have some people who lead the chants, like they do at Palace.

Reactions: Sultan

Number1

People in the crowd pay for their tickets, they can choose to watch the game how they want.

If people choose to not sing along to some silly songs they don't have to, let folk enjoy the game in their own way.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hey Jose what about you concentrate on getting a style and a formation that gets the best out of the fortune that you have spent instead.
Again, I don't think it's anything to do with style. Atmosphere has not been great way before Jose took over.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Flags and banners like the Kop end

Remember the Real Madrid game and Sir Alex' last game at Old Trafford?

The banners and flags... So good
It's amazing the difference they make. Sounds a bit daft but it feels great being in the middle of a tonne of flags with everyone singing.
Some more aggressive chants would be good too. Wish it was more like Europe.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People in the crowd pay for their tickets, they can choose to watch the game how they want.

If people choose to not sing along to some silly songs they don't have to, let folk enjoy the game in their own way.
The point is that the people who want to enjoy it more have been priced out, separated or diluted in other ways when it should be the opposite. There's still room for people who don't want to get involved.

Number1

The point is that the people who want to enjoy it more have been priced out, separated or diluted in other ways when it should be the opposite. There's still room for people who don't want to get involved.
So people who sing/swear/shout like loons enjoy it more than people who don't?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's a guess on my part but I reckon the age group of people attending games is increasing over the years. Ticket and associated costs of attending games is very high for the young.

It's also become, or fast becoming a tourist attraction. A boasting place on social media platforms for those visiting the games.

PS: United also lost their most hardcore atmosphere creating fans when the Glazers took over in 2005.
All good points. The first is interesting actually. In Stuttgart in the standing end, it was full of people in their 20s in groups of mates (including plenty of females). They'd gone not just because they support the team, but because it's a very good craic drinking and singing and jumping up and down with your mates. They weren't so young that it felt like a college trip out either.

So people who sing/swear/shout like loons enjoy it more than people who don't?
Almost certainly, yeah. But like I said, that doesn't mean that those that don't want to are being shunned. Just that those who do shouldn't be. If anything it's going to make it better for those that don't wanna, just to be in a rocking stadium. It's not like they'll be sat in the middle of the most rowdy sections.

edgar allan

Again, I don't think it's anything to do with style. Atmosphere has not been great way before Jose took over.
That is true, but my point is that Jose has more to worry about than diversionary soundbites about a long standing issue.

Number1

Almost certainly, yeah. But like I said, that doesn't mean that those that don't want to are being shunned. Just that those who do shouldn't be. If anything it's going to make it better for those that don't wanna, just to be in a rocking stadium. It's not like they'll be sat in the middle of the most rowdy sections.
There's no set rule to say 'thou must sing/shout and make a lot of noise if attending games' there's no system and cannot be no system either to give tickets to those who sing and those who don't, that would be ridiculous. How would that even work anyway?

I'll say it again people who have bought a ticket to attend matches have bought the rights to a seat to watch the game however they want.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's no set rule to say 'thou must sing/shout and make a lot of noise if attending games' there's no system and cannot be no system either to give tickets to those who sing and those who don't, that would be ridiculous. How would that even work anyway?

I'll say it again people who have bought a ticket to attend matches have bought the rights to a seat to watch the game however they want.
You're not getting it. Possibly football in general

dove

We should form an official Eastern European supporters group and fly them to OT on matchdays, they know how to set a stadium on fire (literally) :lol:

Number1

You're not getting it. Possibly football in general
I think you don't get how everyone is different and show emotions different and there can't be a system in place that only allow tickets to people who show emotions verbally.

Bolal7700

People like you are the reason modern football is dying

Number1

Who has suggested that?
You basically did here:-

But if mistaken, i will rephase my point.

You cannot make someone sing or shout a lot who doesn't want to and that's' the whole point of this thread/what Jose Mourihno is talking about and what the executives are meeting for.

Jacko21

Don't know if that has already been mentioned but, as much as I agree about the dwindling atmosphere...

You can't expect Old Trafford to be particularly buzzing when we currently sit 13 points behind our near neighbours in the title race. Old Trafford thrives on being involved in title challenges. I guarantee you, the atmosphere would be exponentially better if we were either challenging for the league or even ahead in the race - because there is so much more riding on each game and thus the atmosphere is far better.

If we make the latter rounds of the CL, the atmosphere will return. For sure.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You cannot make someone sing or shout a lot who doesn't want to and that's' the whole point of this thread/what Jose Mourihno is talking about and what the executives are meeting for.
That's not what I'm saying, nor what the meeting is about.
It's asking why it's not good and what can be done to make it better. Not just trying to somehow ban the silent fans or make them sing or something.

clarkydaz

Isnt the very centre block of the Stretford End the VIP section? And the club wonders where the atmosphere went. As soon as suggestions mean the club losing revenue it will fall on deaf ears

GiddyUp

How about the team score an a couple of early goals or at least put in a first half performance that would give some space to pull out the tricks in the second half. The crowd gets too nervous because we have seen some terrible draws and losses at OT over the last 4 years where the team goes flat when they should be throwing everything to get the result. Either that or a Mexican wave.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That night against Real Madrid was a reminder of how all of our UCL game atmospheres used to be, especially in the 90s.
Even though we lost that game it’s my most memorable time at Old Trafford. My hears were still ringing when I’d got home as if I’d been to a nightclub.

buchansleftleg

It's amazing the difference they make. Sounds a bit daft but it feels great being in the middle of a tonne of flags with everyone singing.
Some more aggressive chants would be good too. Wish it was more like Europe.
i agree on the flags and banners - as long as they are not offensive. I disagree with some here about the songs though. i think the problem is we have not got used to a new way of creating an atmosphere.

we have a lot of songs that have offensive lyrics - that needs to change. Some thing the crowds job is to intimidate the opponents fans - that needs to change.

Surely we could come up with something along these lines

If you want to sing older more offensive songs do them in Bishop Blaize or another pub / adult space.

In the ground we sing family friendly lyrics promoting our players / gentle mickey taking of opposition

we intimidate the opposition - not their fans with our noise and support - see the icelandic thunderclap as an example.

we need some people to encourage structured support - rather than leaving it to whoever has the loudest or most offensive mouth.

KristianMackle

It's not the best but to be fair, the team has to give the fans something to shout about. How can we motivate the players if the players aren't doing the same for us? It's a two-way street I think.

M4YON

Then they should stay at home and watch it!

You don't go to a game to watch United you go to support them, to cheer them on, to be apart of the atmosphere, not to sit in a chair quiet as a mouse whilst the game plays out.

If all you want to do is watch the game and not support the team, lift them when they're at their lowest then do us all a favour and stay at f#cking home and watch on TV.

It people like you turning up to Old Trafford thats killing the atmosphere.

Kelly15

You cannot have loud stadiums with an electric atmosphere and be family or tourist friendly at the same time. You need to pick your poison.
In Regina Saskatchewan Canada we have the roughriders(Canadian football) and everyone goes. Old, young, families, and the atmosphere is electric in the stadium. Standing, sitting, jumping, high fiving, booing, cheering. it is expected of you to support you team while you are there. I mean why else are you there. The people that just want to watch the game and not support remain at home and watch it on tv.

When I watch United on tv. I sing glory glory man united before the game starts. I jump up to my feet on exciting plays. I yell at the tv encouraging the guys on. Yell "goal", "get in", "let's get another one", join in on songs when I recognize them. And if someone told me that behaviour wasn't acceptable at a united game I wouldn't know what to say. My dream it to come to Old Trafford one year and be able to support the team in person. Sing, yell, cheer, so hopefully I'm sitting in the right area.

Kelly15

Then they should stay at home and watch it!

You don't go to a game to watch United you go to support them, to cheer them on, to be apart of the atmosphere, not to sit in a chair quiet as a mouse whilst the game plays out.

If all you want to do is watch the game and not support the team, lift them when they're at their lowest then do us all a favour and stay at f#cking home and watch on TV.

It people like you turning up to Old Trafford thats killing the atmosphere.
Agree 100%. In sask Canada we call the supporters the 13man. It jacks up the team big time. And like I said before, you are expected to support the team when you are there. Young, old, family's, everybody. That I paid so I can do nothing attitude stinks in my opinion. You are there to support the team. I get chills when I hear the crowd cheering on United. I join in at home so I don't understand how people could be there and not join in.

Jonno

I've no problem with him coming out and stating the obvious. Whenever I go on OT, I get looked at funny when I've had 5 or 6 pints and I try being vocal/chanting. P!sses me off big time.

When we have the ball in the middle of the park, OT just sits and waits for something to happen instead of roar the team on, we only get that when we're against City, Liverpool or Chelsea

Wilt

It's 100% a stewarding issue. Our travelling support is incredible, and we're always oversubscribed for away ballots, so you can't tell me the noisemakers are gone. United need to seat those fans who always go to aways together, and let us do what we want I.e. Stand / sing, like an extended J Stand section
Agree with this.
Seat the regular away fans together at OT, a bit like the 'Barmy Army'.

Hell, give them drums and a few trumpets if it helps ....just make some fecking noise and hopefully the rest of OT will join in.

I was at the Spurs v Utd game at Wembley and the Spurs fans were amazing and to be honest it must have been quite intimidating for our players, the noise when Spurs scored was absolutely deafening, I kid you not!

Jose is right, something must be done.

Last edited:

minoo-utd

Ultras standing zone. Passionate fans know the songs and never stop singing, we have those fans surely and our away fans are the best example, Old Trafford need to organize a specific area for this. For me I try hard to know the chants by searching on the internet, our website should care about this matter too. I hope soon I can visit Old.Trafford it's such a dream for me and of course any one will prefer it as loud as possible.

It's good that our manager wants to do something about it, I know Jose is very much passionate man about football and I love that in him. Hopefully it's a positive step to find out a solution to this. Some stadiums use mic and a singing section, we can follow some examples hopefully as soon as possible. I hate when the away fans at O.T are so much louder, even during the Euoropean nights.

alpagr

Cheaper tickets for younger supporters , most Utd regular s are long in the tooththey sang on the Stratford End ,thy have seen it all ,there is hardly any young supporters allowed to sit together nowadays and I don't mean the family stand .
Celtic have a singing section that works outreagiuosly sometimes but mostly not.

OK777

Mourinho's 'mind games' again, this time to our fans.

Cant wait for the response in the next game at OT!

tomaldinho1

It's inevitable that the game day experience is more of a tourist attraction these days given our club's size and global appeal.

I think a drum section or multiple drum sections would be great - otherwise it's about less VIPs, less tourists and more every day fans which will affect profits and I can't see that happening.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
i agree on the flags and banners - as long as they are not offensive. I disagree with some here about the songs though. i think the problem is we have not got used to a new way of creating an atmosphere.

we have a lot of songs that have offensive lyrics - that needs to change. Some thing the crowds job is to intimidate the opponents fans - that needs to change.

Surely we could come up with something along these lines

If you want to sing older more offensive songs do them in Bishop Blaize or another pub / adult space.

In the ground we sing family friendly lyrics promoting our players / gentle mickey taking of opposition

we intimidate the opposition - not their fans with our noise and support - see the icelandic thunderclap as an example.

we need some people to encourage structured support - rather than leaving it to whoever has the loudest or most offensive mouth.
I don't mean offensive songs. Just stuff that sounds a bit more intimidating like you get in Europe. They've always had better chants, to be fair. English clubs already sound like they're singing nursery rhymes in comparison. It shouldn't be offensive, but aiming for family friendly everything is what's got us here already.
Safe standing is where the adult space should be in a stadium, but again, not suggesting that means singing something offensive.

StonedhamsterZA

You have to appreciate what Mou is trying to engineer with this, but it's happened before.

The next game is a lot better and then it slowly fades back to the normal above-church sort of level.

Part of me wants to think that a lot of it has to do with the 'modern game' and lots of tourists and casual fans being there, but surely the same can be said of Dortmund or Bayern? Those stadiums are nuts. I mean, you can argue that BM win all the time, but Dortmund can't say the same. You almost get the feeling that a lot of those fans are there because it's fun to support the team, rather than the actual result, and that's GREAT.

I think a lot of people (not too many here, I'm sure) feel that the team deserves recognition and support as a reward for playing well, rather than just because we love the team and will support it irrespectively. Sadly, I think that's a big part of the issue.

Reactions: Sultan

Godfather

Ultras standing zone. Passionate fans know the songs and never stop singing, we have those fans surely and our away fans are the best example, Old Trafford need to organize a specific area for this. For me I try hard to know the chants by searching on the internet, our website should care about this matter too. I hope soon I can visit Old.Trafford it's such a dream for me and of course any one will prefer it as loud as possible.

It's good that our manager wants to do something about it, I know Jose is very much passionate man about football and I love that in him. Hopefully it's a positive step to find out a solution to this. Some stadiums use mic and a singing section, we can follow some examples hopefully as soon as possible. I hate when the away fans at O.T are so much louder, even during the Euoropean nights.
That's what's needed if you want a better atmosphere. Won't happen though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Could they make the Stretford End safe standing and "entry on the day" (not ticketed) and then reallocate the season ticket holders across the rest of the stadium? Need to think radically.

kps88

Don't think a standing section is going to make much of a difference against Huddersfield at home. I haven't been in a while, but from my experience ST2 was an unofficial standing section anyway.

I'm curious if it was much better back in the 90s? Was the stadium rocking if an Ipswich came to town and put 10 men behind the ball?