United in this Summer transfer window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To get Fellaini done, I think he needs to hand in a transfer request.
To be honest, if Manchester United can't even prize Fellaini away from Everton, then we've got feck all chance competing at the top end of the market. Should be a straight forward enough deal, and if Madrid wanted him, he'd be standing next to Bale as we speak.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
To be honest, if Manchester United can't even prize Fellaini away from Everton, then we've got feck all chance competing at the top end of the market. Should be a straight forward enough deal, and if Madrid wanted him, he'd be standing next to Bale as we speak.
I'm not so sure about that. Would Madrid want all those photos of Fellani next to Bale? Seems more likely they'd keep then apart incase Fellani is a flop.

kps88

Thank feck we managed to keep Rooney. I wouldn't have trusted us to get a replacement in the way this summer has gone. Would have probably bid 38M for Ozil and lost out to Arsenal.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Not sure about that, we could buy Fellaini but might decide not to as Everton want more than we feel he is worth.

That doesn't say anything wrong with the club in terms of prizing away players. Highlights how clueless we have been though seeing as he had a release clause for 90% of the summer.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Thank feck we managed to keep Rooney. I wouldn't have trusted us to get a replacement in the way this summer has gone. Would have probably bid 38M for Ozil and lost out to Arsenal.

But next summer, Wayne will be banging on about the lack of quality ala 2010.

December_16

I think I've been incredibly patient this summer because I want to give the new guys some benefit of the doubt at their new jobs. But I've gotta admit we've been completely incompetent at transfer dealings this summer it's not even funny. Maybe the silver lining is that we've kept Nani and Rooney? I dont know, still hope for some rabbits out of the hat at the 11th hour.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
And people questioned why I set up a thread "Moyes so far", the writing was on the wall. This is a continuation.

Whether you want to blame Woodward instead I don't care. If you are a strong manager you need to be strong about getting signings. The weaknesses are obvious to all. Against Chelsea no invention, no attack, few chances created. Same against Liverpool.

I'm concerned! We got lucky that everyone else were not on the boil for one reason or another at various stages of the season last season.

We currently have unreliable wingers, a fairly poor midfield. A pissed off striker. And defenders who have been letting in stupid goals from pre-season through till the game against Liverpool.

Zaha should help the wings, the defence could have maybe done with one new CB, but far from desperate, they just need to get better organised. What is obvious is the midfield issues. No Carrick backup, and insufficient power and creativity in attack. Kagawa is maybe too lightweight for a midfield 2, hence not getting the games he probably should be getting.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Woodward should never ever be allowed to conduct our transfer business again.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I believe that the first thing we need to do is to eliminate our cockiness. We're a big club, but there's plenty of fish around. We don't spend or pay the highest fees/salaries and the city is very average indeed. If a player had to choose then he'll probably choose the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern or Chelsea ahead of us. And lets stop with the history thing. We're trying to attract players here and not fecking historians. I would be surprised if many of the foreign players would know about our history let alone be attracted to it. There's no feckin way we'll get the likes of Fabregas unless the player is so keen to come to us to handle a transfer request and probably accept a pay cut.

Cockiness is a real issue also amongst fans. We tend to overrate our players while underrating the opposition. Take Herrera. Ok he's no Fabregas (or at least he's not yet) but do you seriously think that such player wouldn't improve us? FFS we're talking about a midfield where a 40 year old doesn't look too shabby in it. Herrera and Martinez literally humilated our midfield a few years back. Seriously who will keep Herrera out of the team? Giggs? Cleverley? Feckin Ando? We're lucky if the latter graces us with his presence for more then 30 minutes. Felliani is a different matter altogether. The guy has as much technique as the likes of Butt and Fletcher. However he's certainly a poor loser who will give his heart for the team and will fight for ball possession. We do miss such spirit in the team. If we get them both then I am happy. If we miss on one or two of them then...we'll probably be heading for a long season

So let us accept our place and aim for players which we can get. That's what other big clubs (ex Juventus or Milan) are doing.

Man-United

James Cooper on SSN

Fellaini likely, Baines less likely and Herrera even less likely. Did I get that correct? He just kept on talking.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ozil to Arsenal, Bale to Real, Neymar to Barca, Etoo to Chelsea and United will get Felliani.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Ozil to Arsenal, Bale to Real, Neymar to Barca, Etoo to Chelsea and United will get Felliani.
"In for the best players" etc....

I'm very, very worried about this season. We have been left behind in the window this summer and our rivals may well have caught us up. If Rooney and RvP stay fit top 4 should be fine but can't see any silverware.

Siorac

Arsenal do not have as good a squad as us.
No but their first team is probably on a par now, or at least close. Especially if we persist with the idea that Ashley Young is good enough to start for Manchester United.

Siorac

We have a bigger and deeper squad so can deal with injuries - which always hit Arsenal hard - much better but I don't think we can put out a first XI that is clearly and significantly better than Arsenal's best team, with the addition of Özil. The big difference between the two is Van Persie.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure about that, we could buy Fellaini but might decide not to as Everton want more than we feel he is worth.

That doesn't say anything wrong with the club in terms of prizing away players. Highlights how clueless we have been though seeing as he had a release clause for 90% of the summer.
The point is, it is still just Fellaini, and highlights are toothlessness. How much can Everton possibly ask for Marouane Fellaini, that it is something too much for us? It will be likely more than £20m and less than £30m. Anything in between would be no more than a couple million more than 'our valuation'. As I said, Madrid would simply get it done.

Adebesi

They have a couple of players that would walk into our team, we have a load more who would walk into theirs. Our first 11 is much stronger than theirs, even if they sign Ozil, we still have Rooney after all.

And Nani is better than Walcott.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The point is, it is still just Fellaini, and highlights are toothlessness. How much can Everton possibly ask for Marouane Fellaini, that it is something too much for us? It will be likely more than £20m and less than £30m. Anything in between would be no more than a couple million more than 'our valuation'. As I said, Madrid would simply get it done.
Well yeah, but I'm not sure what your trying to say here. Do you think the way Madrid conduct transfers is a good way to run a club? It would drive us into the ground.

If we value Fellaini at £20million and they want £30million then I wouldn't begrudge Moyes for not paying more than what he feels is the right fee. Hes running a business not playing a computer game, at the end of the day he needs to be responsible and paying more than players are worth isn't that. It would be effectively criticising him for NOT agreeing a bad deal, which seems strange.

Like I said though the Fellaini thing is a bit of a joke because of his previous release clause. Should have been tied up months ago seeing as it was always going to come down to this.

Bestie07

They have a couple of players that would walk into our team, we have a load more who would walk into theirs. Our first 11 is much stronger than theirs, even if they sign Ozil, we still have Rooney after all.

And Nani is better than Walcott.
Walcott has got a semblance of consistency. Nani on his day is better than Walcott, haven't seen him have "a day" for more than a year now. We're maybe still better than them, maybe, but we have allowed them to close the gap to us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We're still better than Arsenal.

It's not quite the easy 3 points it was last season, but we still have a stronger side - mainly because we have the best defence in the league and the best striker in the league.

Adebesi

Walcott has got a semblance of consistency. Nani on his day is better than Walcott, haven't seen him have "a day" for more than a year now. We're maybe still better than them, maybe, but we have allowed them to close the gap to us.

There has been a lot of talk about the impending meltdown on here if we failed to pull the stops out today. It looks like it is well underway.

Maybe still better than Arsenal indeed. We're champions FFS, and have been twice in the last three years. Come on people, some perspective.

iAm20Legend

There has been a lot of talk about the impending meltdown on here if we failed to pull the stops out today. It looks like it is well underway.

Maybe still better than Arsenal indeed. We're champions FFS, and have been twice in the last three years. Come on people, some perspective.

Just the beginning. Just wait till the end of the day if we don't get anyone :)

Mister Ed

I am writing this with around 12 hours of the transfer window left so don’t know the out-come. As it seems we are not signing anyone and I my opinion this is down to mistakes and gambles that date back to summers of 2009…2010 etc….

1)Gambles that didn’t pay off
Unexpected injuries to Hargo and Fletcher, stagnation and fitness issues of Anderson, Pogba leaving have all hindered our long term strategy for CM department. The question which needs to be answered is simply- why didn’t we alter it? Why didn’t we react?

2)No plan B - I said it few years back – that getting out of this shambles will be done through either over paying for top player or by going through transition period with solid players waiting for a special player to emerge. As for now United don’t seem desperate enough to pay over the odds and don’t want to accept lower quality. I sustain that Demeble last summer would have been a good addition.

All the above are part of Gil and Fergie’s heritage. Unfortuanly they left the team with a big issue and in a weak bargaining position. Everyone knows we need a midfielder and will either charge us premium or (in case of domestic rivals) will be reluctant to sell.

3)Pace or lack of it – well it’s obvious that we know shit all bout internal process inside United. But I fail to understand why we took so much time in preparing our bids. I can assume that the owners need to sanction the financial package but how long does it take to do that? I think few days should suffice.

4)Realistic targets – I do appreciate the fact that we want the best players and that but why did we bid for Fabregas? Ok, he is great and that but also seem to be emotionally tied with Barca. Other factors- his position in the team, age, contract situation, wages…..none of it even remotely suggested that he would be interested in leaving… so why the feck did we waste time chasing him? I agree there are few players who tick the important boxes

5)Valuation – yes, 25 mil bid for Fabregas was funny, but improved bid of 30 mil was even more interesting. In the summer where Madrid sign Bale for 80 mil we come up with a valuation which is at least 30% below fair market price.

6)Communication – “no budget”, “first signing needs to be the right one”, ‘urgent transfer talks” –why or why did we come up with such statements? I don’ care if sign Fellaini and then Fabregas… IMO we should have kept it quite and proceed with transfers starting from the base and then going for glamour. Everyone knows it’s easier to sign Fellainins than Modrics of these world. IMO all these statements hindered our chances of getting new players in.

7)Terrible timing- why did we bid for Fabregas a day after Thaigo left? Seriously why? Why do wait until last day of transfer window giving the clubs we want to sign player from little to no time to find replacements? This is a valid point when it comes to Everton- new manger in, trying to stabilize the boat and that… we are not helping ourselves with the timing.

8)Gambles that we don’t want to take- Thiago If this is true that Moyes had his reservation over this guy due to him physicality then I’m lost for words. Silva, Oscar or Hazard are small fecker yet they play well in this league. As many said before- Ozil is to good to miss out- let’s sing him and then try to fit him in. We managed to do so with RVP last summer.

There is still time left, I hope that tomorrow we will have new players who can improve our team. Sadly I don’t see it. On the other hand – it doesn’t surprise me one bit.
Couldn't agree more