United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
He's played every formation imaginable over his career. He'll choose an appropriate one for us. I see him going with some variety of 4231: it's the right balance of winger, #10 and striker to make the best use of our attacking resources. It wouldn't make sense to go 433 given that midfield is a weak spot for us. I mean, we already need to buy 2 top midfielders, why add the pressure of a third?
Totally agree with the 4231 comment. With our team, we need to play with a number 10. Our wingers as it stands also fits the 4231 formation. Nani could be the exception to this, as the 433 may suit him better, but he could be off anyway

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's getting a bit annoying how the media tell us is going to happen on a certain day, they get it wrong and then make up an excuse as to why they was wrong.

I would have thought Holland and United would have wanted to announce this as soon as possible, but maybe United are set to announce a signing with the LVG announcement, that could explain the delays.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Could this be announced after the world cup and not as early as we're hoping for? It's a big possibility if we don't get anything this week.

JackXX

I would like to see things to be getting done now. This was the problem with last summer far too much dithering. Woodward and whoever else concerned with appointments/signings need to start pushing things through a lot faster. Until things are made official regarding the new manager I can't see it helps at all in regards to transfer business. It's not long before the World Cup starts so not much will be getting done then. What's happened to Shaw seems to have gone v quiet all of a sudden?

RedDF

It's getting a bit annoying how the media tell us is going to happen on a certain day, they get it wrong and then make up an excuse as to why they was wrong.

I would have thought Holland and United would have wanted to announce this as soon as possible, but maybe United are set to announce a signing with the LVG announcement, that could explain the delays.
The media don't know shit... They take a logical outcome and write it hoping for the best and when it doesn't happen they blame something stupid. (Like van gaal needing to focus on a friendly with Ecuador) among other things

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
If it's not today then I reckon it will be after the champions league final.

Loon

:lol:
If United have decided it should be a case of "Louis van Gaal will assume his position as Manchester United manager July 14th" and put an end to this nonsense. Let United and the Dutch get on with their business.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Just get on with it and announce the bloody thing. I'm sure he will bring success and good football back to Utd, plus I think the fans are going to adore him. At Barca and Bayern he probably didn't receive that much adulation (fans singing his name etc.) if he brings the good times back here then he will receive praise that can satisfy even his ego!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's played every formation imaginable over his career. He'll choose an appropriate one for us. I see him going with some variety of 4231: it's the right balance of winger, #10 and striker to make the best use of our attacking resources. It wouldn't make sense to go 433 given that midfield is a weak spot for us. I mean, we already need to buy 2 top midfielders, why add the pressure of a third?
I guess it depends on the type of 3 man midfield. Plenty of coaches use one of the three as the #10, so it essentially just becomes 4-2-3-1 anyway. I remember reading that LvG likes to have a #10 in his 3 man midfield, as well as a holder and a box to box. I could see Mata or Kagawa playing as the most advanced in a midfield 3 under LvG. It probably wouldn't be a radical shift from our current shape, but no doubt we'll be playing better football.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The media don't know shit... They take a logical outcome and write it hoping for the best and when it doesn't happen they blame something stupid. (Like van gaal needing to focus on a friendly with Ecuador) among other things
Completely agree. They keep making up silly excuses when your deal is delayed, the most frequent one is the role that Giggs is going to have etc.

I just think there's more to it, it doesn't make sense why we keep delaying it. I mean we don't want a repeat of last summer, too much dithering left us with an awful transfer window. And for holland surely they'd want an announcement so LVG can focus on the World Cup.

Brightonian

I guess it depends on the type of 3 man midfield. Plenty of coaches use one of the three as the #10, so it essentially just becomes 4-2-3-1 anyway. I remember reading that LvG likes to have a #10 in his 3 man midfield, as well as a holder and a box to box. I could see Mata or Kagawa playing as the most advanced in a midfield 3 under LvG. It probably wouldn't be a radical shift from our current shape, but no doubt we'll be playing better football.
Ah ok - I always think of those as 4231s but I guess in a way they are a sort of 433. I generally use 433 to refer to a formation that has three actual CMs, like Barca's Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta, for example. I suppose you could say it depends what sort of #10 you're playing. A Rooney or Suarez definitely makes it a 4231 - it's almost a 4411, really. A Kagawa, for me, is also a 4231, since he's at his best when he can be very disciplined about not dropping back too much, letting the midfielders do their job and waiting for the ball to come to him. But Mata, or, say, Iniesta the way he plays for Spain, probably makes it a 433, since they're very much attacking midfielders not creative forwards.

Crono

His preferred middle three in his 4-3-3 consists of two midfielders behind a classic #10 attacking midfielder, the latter of which we are well stocked in.

I think he'll definitely try the 4-3-3, and if it works on the pitch he'll stick with it, because he really doesn't give a shit about benching big players.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If it doesn't happen today then we're most likely waiting on another coach to become available, Pep or Ancelotti most likely.

FacerTheRed

Completely agree. They keep making up silly excuses when your deal is delayed, the most frequent one is the role that Giggs is going to have etc.

I just think there's more to it, it doesn't make sense why we keep delaying it. I mean we don't want a repeat of last summer, too much dithering left us with an awful transfer window. And for holland surely they'd want an announcement so LVG can focus on the World Cup.
completely different from last summer, united immediately went with Moyes no questions asked just simply because Fergie chose him and look what happen. Delay is frustrating and it is dragging on abit now but they shouldnt rushing getting LVG, even if LVG is appointed he wouldnt be officially in the job until the world cups finish so theirs no rush.

Sir A1ex

Probably, be announced in the next 48 hours, but if not then, then the next 48 hours after that, and if not, then the next 48 hours after that.
I'm pretty confident that when this is eventually announced, the announcement will occur within a distinct and identifiable 48 hour period.

So that's all good.

Sir A1ex

How we will probably announce the deal
You're onto something here Dev - they should start puffing black smoke out of OT, until they finally sort this out and can switch to white smoke.

My office window is just about near enough to OT and high enough up that I should be able to keep an eye on the smoke from here, and update the caf at regular intervals.

Amir

completely different from last summer, united immediately went with Moyes no questions asked just simply because Fergie chose him and look what happen. Delay is frustrating and it is dragging on abit now but they shouldnt rushing getting LVG, even if LVG is appointed he wouldnt be officially in the job until the world cups finish so theirs no rush.
Since there was big doubts over Moyes since February, I'd expect we'd have done our homework well before the sacking and it's probably not by chance we've had reports about meeting with Van Gaal even before Moyes left. So while I would definitely take my time in order to find the right man, I'm sure we're well beyond that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're onto something here Dev - they should start puffing black smoke out of OT, until they finally sort this out and can switch to white smoke.

My office window is just about near enough to OT and high enough up that I should be able to keep an eye on the smoke from here, and update the caf at regular intervals.
Imagine if they do something similar and Sam Allardyce comes out. The forum would implode.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I can't understand why we'd keep delaying the announcement unless we've not agreed with Van Gaal about his contract or that we're trying to sign up a player ready for his announcement day.

Kroos + Shaw + Van Gaal in same announcement? :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.