United - Soton | EFL Cup Final Build-up Thread

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
*reports duffer for tall people abuse*

MadMike

If Mikhi is out and Rooney is fit, I actually prefer starting with Rooney. Mata is one hell of a super sub. I think no one reads the game better than him from the bench. When he comes on, it's like he knows exactly how to change the game.
Behave. I'd have Mata and Rashford ahead of Rooney in the starting line up any day of the week. Thankfully the manager agrees too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm pretty high in the predictions league here so it is a good bet more often than not :D
Ha, I wish I shared your optimism. It's very rare we win comfortably in a final. Off the top of my head I can only remember us doing so twice. Against Millwall in the '04 FA cup, and Newcastle in '99.

SteveJ

Scout
What if the taller guy stands up prematurely to celebrate a goal and you missed seeing the goal? You couldn't really report him for that.
duffer at Wembley:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What if the taller guy stands up prematurely to celebrate a goal and you missed seeing the goal? You couldn't really report him for that.
Well, no. Of course not.

You don't have to spend the entire 90 minutes sat down, you just can't stand for the whole game and ruin some poor fecker behind you's day.

I've told people to sit down and been told to sit down at football matches by the way, all part of the fun (don't think I'd ever grass someone up unless they were right in front of a kid and didn't listen to me)/

Peanut Butter

Wasn't going to drink with this - decided to go to the pub with my brother. Got nerves already.

peridigm

If Carrick starts, Rooney does not and vis a versa. Unless Mkhitaryan is fit, then he would start over Rooney I think.

I have Carrick starting with Rooney as a sub. Leaving Mkhitaryan out, don't think the rumors are true and don't think Jose would rush him back for this.

MrPooni

Well you know how to kill an atmosphere.
In the context of a cup final, atmosphere is one thing but when you're at a neutral ground with your young nieces and nephews and a large group of abusive, drunken feckers in the 3rd row won't sit down, it's nice to have a discreet resource like this.

RedMaestro

Ha, I wish I shared your optimism. It's very rare we win comfortably in a final. Off the top of my head I can only remember us doing so twice. Against Millwall in the '04 FA cup, and Newcastle in '99.
From skysports:

Mourinho has won 10 out of 12.

Mourinho's record in cup finals
Club Opponent Cup Season Result
FC Porto - Celtic UEFA Cup 2002/03 W 3-2
FC Porto - Leiria Taça de Portugal 2002/03 W 1-0
FC Porto - Benfica Taça de Portugal 2003/04 L 1-2 (AET)
FC Porto - Monaco UCL 2003/04 W 3-0
Chelsea - Liverpool League Cup 2004/05 W 3-2
Chelsea - Arsenal League Cup 2006/07 W 2-1
Chelsea - Man Utd FA Cup 2006/07 W 1-0
Inter Milan - Roma Coppa Italia 2009/10 W 1-0
Inter Milan - Bayern Munich UCL 2009/10 W 2-0
Real Madrid - Barcelona Copa del Rey 2010/11 W 1-0
Real Madrid - Atletico Madrid Copa del Rey 2012/13 L 1-2 (AET)
Chelsea - Tottenham League Cup 2014/15 W 2-0

Mourinho has never lost a final in normal time.

MullerUtd

Our most important game of the season so far. We need to win this cup so this can be a springboard for more success for the rest of the season, as Jose has said. We are still in the Europa League, FA Cup and in contention for Top 4 so a league cup win will give the team the self-belief to go on to achieve more silverware. Another great incentive is also the record of being the most successful English football club, us winning the League Cup would bring our total silverware to 42, 1 ahead of Liverpool. :D

Reactions: SteveJ

SteveJ

Scout
That's encouraging @RedMaestro but we as a club seem to prefer winning the hard way.
That's because we haven't been good, or concentrated, enough. Controversial opinion perhaps but even our famed counter-attacking, though exciting no doubt, stems from being under pressure in matches. We've rarely ever punched above our weight - hopefully, this will change in the near-future.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Five goalkeepers travelled
Five United goalkeepers have travelled down to London.

One of them - Joel Pereira - is injured and even Mkhitaryan was on the team coach. Don’t expect a Lazarus act from Mkhitaryan. Mourinho has taken 28 players down to London to signal each player’s importance, whether they are Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Kieran O’Hara.

It’s good man-management, particularly when you contrast it to Van Gaal’s handling of the squad for last year’s Cup final.

The cut players, such as Memphis, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Timothy Fosu-Mensah, had to make their own way down to Wembley separately and the on the day of the game.

The squad coach was reserved for the 18 squad players.

Oscie

How did Van Gaal handle the cup final squad last season?

DomesticTadpole

How did Van Gaal handle the cup final squad last season?
Think that is what they are saying. He took 18 players and that was it. The rest had to make their own way there. Jose has taken all of them, injured or not to be a part of the day, which is nice.

DomesticTadpole

Unlucky ten
Assuming Phil Jones isn’t fit, the ten watching from the stands are likely to be:

• Kieran O’Hara
  • Axel Tuanzebe
  • Dean Henderson
  • Timothy Fosu-Mensah
  • Bastian Schweinsteiger
  • Luke Shaw
  • Matteo Darmian
  • Henrikh Mkhitaryan (inj)
  • Joel Pereira (inj)
  • Phil Jones (inj)

Oscie

Think that is what they are saying. He took 18 players and that was it. The rest had to make their own way there. Jose has taken all of them, injured or not to be a part of the day, which is nice.
Oh right. Thanks. Cup final should be a day out for everyone, involved and for Luke Shaw

MullerUtd

From skysports:

This is extremely impressive and this is exactly what Jose is all about, he lives and breathes for moments like this. I was watching MUTV and when he was asked by the interviewer about how he feels ahead of the League Cup Final, "I just want to play, I can't wait." says it all. :smirk:

On the flip side, I would feel worried if we do go into extra-time. I know the sample size is too small but the 2 finals he lost were in extra-time so, if we do go into extra-time...:nervous:

RedMaestro

This is extremely impressive and this is exactly what Jose is all about, he lives and breathes for moments like this. I was watching MUTV and when he was asked by the interviewer about how he feels ahead of the League Cup Final, "I just want to play, I can't wait." says it all. :smirk:

On the flip side, I would feel worried if we do go into extra-time. I know the sample size is too small but the 2 finals he lost were in extra-time so, if we do go into extra-time...:nervous:
Not just Mourinho with good stats...

13 goals in 8 against Puels teams...

ZAGREB RED

The Celtic game went into extra time in 2003.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

relx

Frnkie Sys

Chelsea - Man Utd FA Cup 2006/07 W 1-0 (AET)

1 out of 3 :)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

OK so that's Celtic Porto, 2005 Chelsea Liverpool and 2007 Chelsea United for games he's won in extra time

M Bison

Supports
York City
If Mikhi is out and Rooney is fit, I actually prefer starting with Rooney. Mata is one hell of a super sub. I think no one reads the game better than him from the bench. When he comes on, it's like he knows exactly how to change the game.

The difference in games like this is often hunger to win and the quality of the bench. If there are no injuries, I will like to see Mata, Rashford and Bastian come in to change the game if Southampton proves too hard to crack after the first 55 minutes.
Absolutely no way should Rooney be anywhere near the starting 11. There's so many other alternatives rather than him starting on top of the 3 you quote, he's lucky to be in the match Day squad at all.

DomesticTadpole

Mourinho following van Gaal lead
It’s understood United’s players were informed of their squad roles for the final two days ago, which is what Louis van Gaal did for last year’s FA Cup final.

Rio Ferdinand used to complain David Moyes’ team selections drove him ‘mad’ and England players were belatedly told of their roles by Fabio Capello.

Players like to be mollycoddled but it’s logical to tell them if they’re in or out in advance just for the benefit of a restful night’s sleep before a match.

SteveJ

Scout
Jose might play Rooney from the start, if only to keep Wayne happy before his summer exit.

GM K

Absolutely no way should Rooney be anywhere near the starting 11. There's so many other alternatives rather than him starting on top of the 3 you quote, he's lucky to be in the match Day squad at all.
Hahahaha.

Now I see Wayne scoring, lifting one of two trophies for the season and then riding into the Chinese sunset with Coleen clutching that bagful of pounds.