g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

United to face FC Midtjylland in Europa League

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You can buy tickets in NT1 on the site, so I don't think so. I'm sure NT3 will be closed, but that's nothing new... fortunately you can't see it on TV anyway!
that was my initial thought that it would just be T3 - would be unprecedented to close the whole of North.

@.Rossi what is your source for this info?

Satissh12

So we are playing FC Midtjylland away on 18th Feb and then Shrewsbury on 20th Feb? will the FA cup fixture be moved out to 21st?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I honestly completely forgot we're still in a 'European' competition.
Not to be sniffed at. Win this and we qualify for the Champions Leauge. Yeah, I know, highly unlikely we have any chance of winning, etc.

Gerald G

I want us to try and win the FA cup and with the FA cup 2/3 days after this tie, I want us to play our fringe & younger players vs Midtjylland.

So a team like:

De Gea; Varela, McNair, Smalling, Blind; Fellaini, Herrera, Pereira; Januzaj, Rooney, Memphis

Then go full strength against Shrewsbury.

dcullivanio

I want us to try and win the FA cup and with the FA cup 2/3 days after this tie, I want us to play our fringe & younger players vs Midtjylland.

So a team like:

De Gea; Varela, McNair, Smalling, Blind; Fellaini, Herrera, Pereira; Januzaj, Rooney, Memphis

I think we'll see a blend across both games to be honest. Maybe slightly stronger in the FA Cup, but with a smattering of youth/reserves and first teamers in both games.

Kostur

海尔的老板
We'll actually play close to the same team in those two matches, maybe with 1-2 changes. There will be as much 'youth blending' as there will be injuries.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

So a team like:

Isn't the first leg away? There is no way we are playing that team. LVG doesn't trust his players and he is desperate for results. Which means he will play his strongest team for every game with the exception of maybe one or two changes.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
even that is trying to make it sound worse than it is - they keep mentioning the figure of 26,000 (the whole capacity of the SAF Stand) and say 'a large section' will be closed when in fact Tier3 holds 4-5,000max

Still it is going to be one of the lowest attendance we have had for years - doesnt help that there are 2 other home games (Arsenal and Watford) within a week of this match, will be difficult for many to afford to go 2/3 times in a week.

JTW95

Gullible sausage

So a team like:

I think I would rather see the stronger line up in the Europa League game.

Missing out on top 4 is a real possibility so I think we should really go for it. Plus looking at the teams that are in it this year it could be just as exciting as the Champions League.

Play the fringe players against Shrewsbury. I know upsets can happen but our second string should still piss all over them.

RU Devil

Agree. It's not like Shrewsbury is a primo Championship club, while the way Leicester & Tottenham are playing, I'm not all that confident in our chances of overhauling either for a Top 4 slot, making EL more important than the FA Cup.

Fully Fledged

The second leg is the day after my 50th birthday so I'm hoping for a good show as a belated b
Agree. It's not like Shrewsbury is a primo Championship club, while the way Leicester & Tottenham are playing, I'm not all that confident in our chances of overhauling either for a Top 4 slot, making EL more important than the FA Cup.
Arsenal haven't won in 4 games. They are where we were in December. We need to go on a run for it to matter anyway but they are not stuck on for top 4 at the moment.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Midtjylland drew to IFK Gothenburg today in a friendly. The latter aren't anything special. If we play our strongest we'll beat these comfortably over two legs. Let's go for it. A win in this competition gives you a CL spot so why wouldn't we put prio on this tournament over the FA Cup?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I want to win the competition. Last time we were in the competition, some didn't really care. We've a very young team. It would be great for them to win some trophies. We want to keep the best players and winning is a great habit at any age. Let's win it.

Gerald G

Yeah Januzaj is cup-tied. I forgot about that.

But I don't think we will win this cup even if we play our best team in every game. There are some good teams in this competition.

I would rather try and get top four & an FA cup. I would still try and win the Europa League but I would rotate some players for it. Our squad is too thin to compete on all fronts.

Zeki Zico

I would love for us to win the Europa League. A trophy is a trophy and as people have pointed out it would give us qualification to the Champions League which is essential considering we may not make the top four this season.

Needham

Forgot about the Europa league. Can't we call in sick?

Edit. Forgot winning it qualifies for Champions League. Better go for it.

The red panther

princess transfer emo

So a team like:

I also want us to try and win the EL that actually gives you a direct ticket to the CL which is even better than getting 4th place (which seems difficult for us to get at this stage). The FA cup would be nice but EL is more important for me.

Stretford End Phil

We should be going for everything - above top 4th, and both cups - with total determination to win something and be in the CL next year. We should also be mindful that there is a lot of competition from other countries for the 4th spot and English clubs have not done so well in recent years.

Gerald G

I also want us to try and win the EL that actually gives you a direct ticket to the CL which is even better than getting 4th place (which seems difficult for us to get at this stage). The FA cup would be nice but EL is more important for me.
I said I would like to win the Europa League for obvious reasons but I don't think we're strong enough to win the Europa League.
I would still rotate some players in the Europa League unless we get to the latter stages.

Redguern

I said I would like to win the Europa League for obvious reasons but I don't think we're strong enough to win the Europa League.
I would still rotate some players in the Europa League unless we get to the latter stages.
As long as we keep going in the cups then we have two games every week for the foreseeable... rotation will be a given.