United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

deafepl

Trust me, Real Madrid fans were worse, they were chanting "We want Mbappe" in front of Hazard's presentation at Santiago Bernabéu stadium.

DoomSlayer

I love the reactions to threads being created by WUMminator. The master WUM of RedCafe.

For those fans who really hate that others have a problem with how the club has been leeched out by our parasite owners, maybe you should create a "Glazers In" thread and movement, organise some counter-protests too. I bet the lovely American overlords of United would be delighted to even finance that sort of activity.

SapperBRed75

I agree that the theme is often one of pessimism and entitlement, and the grass being greener elsewhere. It is fair to comment given recent seasons that we have made some mistakes and that there is work to do, but the fan base is reflecting modern society generally. We are being run as a business and decision-making isn’t always going to be purely football driven. Forums such as these will always attract passionate and in many cases poorly informed opinions. I’ve not played professional football in this or any era, and I’ve never negotiated a professional sports contract on behalf of a rich but underperforming football club in an increasingly volatile market. I like to express an opinion occasionally and anyone willing to tell me or anyone else that they’re definitely wrong is likely doing so from a different viewpoint that is in many cases no more enlightened than mine. So what? I take it all with a big pinch of salt. I’ve watched United for 35+ years and my brother in law has been a technical director at a couple of clubs. It doesn’t mean I know what’s going on a United, but I do think many should cheer up a bit.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's fast becoming a product, if it already isn't.
The product is the game of Football not the results. As a fan you support the football club not the results.

I totally understand people being upset, disappointed and all these emotions, it's part of being a fan but these emotions are only understandable in the heat of the moment, when we are in June and have had a lot of time to think and collect ourselves, these emotions become childish.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I would say the biggest problem is fans who plod to the ground like zombies and clap like seals to try and prove their 'top red' style loyalty to the club, whilst the entire place is ravaged by the parasites in charge

I don't think some people understand. It's not about us being crap, the club is slowly being killed and by attending games, buying merchandise, asking people not to criticise the owners, you're tacitly supporting what the Glazers are doing.
Voice of reason. Thanks.

Also, someone said in the #Glazersout thread that the OP was straw manning the protest, couldn’t agree more. Then to add our inflated wage bill as a sign of some sort of ambition (in the OP) is to mistake malaise and incompetence for ambition.

A knee-jerk top-red thread.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There's also the other fan element that treat every little thing about the club as a negative. It's not all about whether your supporting the Glazers.
And it’s exactly that element the OP is making out the whole anti-Glazer sentiment is about. You have idiots on all sides, that doesn’t refute the obvious state of our club and how it’s being run.

Rusholme Ruffian

Guys, don't feed the troll.

This thread is clearly designed to generate loads of traffic, sow discontent, polarisation and confusion amongst fans, specifically at a time when there is a bit of momentum growing against the Glazers. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this isn't club sponsored. Look at the poster's name - it was specifically changed to 'Wumminator' due to the amount of wind-up, trolling, top red bullshit that the guy posts. Shame on anyone that's falling for it.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
I think it´s Glazers fault. It is just not professional to not put a competent Sporting Director in charge for so many years. Business in only one side of football.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I love the reactions to threads being created by WUMminator. The master WUM of RedCafe.

For those fans who really hate that others have a problem with how the club has been leeched out by our parasite owners, maybe you should create a "Glazers In" thread and movement, organise some counter-protests too. I bet the lovely American overlords of United would be delighted to even finance that sort of activity.
:D I think the OP should create one, or re-name this one.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This must be one the most delusional statements I've read about anything. I certainly don't think Real Madrid's fan base is any less spoiled but that didn't stop them winning multiple CLs in a row.

Seriously, our fans pay money to be entertained and the club's spoiled players and incompetent staff perform well below expectation. That is without going into the crooks who legally drain resources from the club to build their yachts.

People need to seriously think again when they blame hard-working, paying normal people for rich people's incompetence and greed.

EDIT: I just saw the OP is that guy who has nothing better to do than play Trump on Redcafe. Waste a reply but I'll leave it here.

Grande

It is called ambition, who both the club and the fans should maintain, otherwise, people should support clubs like Everton if they are not interested in titles.
This is also a good illustration. Ambation not on behalf of oneselg, but on behalf of others. Then the idea that you can chose a team you think will win you titles, and as you wrote in your previous post, that you have the right to be annoyed that they can’t fulfil the ambition you have set for them to achieve for you.

Meanwhile, the entitled fan’s actual contribution is often to buy a shirt and tickets to the game. All fans do this, the difference between the normal fan and the entitled fan, is that the normal fan, paying 50 quid for an Everton shirt, is normally satisfied if a player, manager or board does their best. The entitled fan thinks that ‘a city shirt costs fifty quid as well! For fifty quid, I should be able to expect only the best. Why should I support Everton with my special fifty if they don’t give me (my) titles?
It’s of course based on a lot of faulty logic, but that’s why it’s called entitlement and is not so popular trait among most people.

dave2528

For as big a club as we are and for as much money that we've thrown at this without results for the past 5-6 years, and especially considering the recent success of Citeh and f#cking Liverpool, I'm actually surprised that we've managed to not be more vitriolic and angry.

Giggsyking

This is also a good illustration. Ambation not on behalf of oneselg, but on behalf of others. Then the idea that you can chose a team you think will win you titles, and as you wrote in your previous post, that you have the right to be annoyed that they can’t fulfil the ambition you have set for them to achieve for you.

Meanwhile, the entitled fan’s actual contribution is often to buy a shirt and tickets to the game. All fans do this, the difference between the normal fan and the entitled fan, is that the normal fan, paying 50 quid for an Everton shirt, is normally satisfied if a player, manager or board does their best. The entitled fan thinks that ‘a city shirt costs fifty quid as well! For fifty quid, I should be able to expect only the best. Why should I support Everton with my special fifty if they don’t give me (my) titles?
It’s of course based on a lot of faulty logic, but that’s why it’s called entitlement and is not so popular trait among most people.
You are wrong. It is not the 50 quid you pay make you entitled for success what i meant. It is the clubs enormous financial Greatness generated by the broad fan base of 600m people around the world that make the club obliged to maintain success.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Definitely not our biggest problem, or else every large professional football club in the world would have the same issues.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Guys, don't feed the troll.

This thread is clearly designed to generate loads of traffic, sow discontent, polarisation and confusion amongst fans, specifically at a time when there is a bit of momentum growing against the Glazers. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this isn't club sponsored. Look at the poster's name - it was specifically changed to 'Wumminator' due to the amount of wind-up, trolling, top red bullshit that the guy posts. Shame on anyone that's falling for it.
:lol:

Needham

You are wrong. It is not the 50 quid you pay make you entitled for success what i meant. It is the clubs enormous financial Greatness generated by the broad fan base of 600m people around the world that make the club obliged to maintain success.
But if every one of those 600 million so called fans would just chip in a pound each imagine all the people, living life in peace. Wooh-ooooooh, oo-ah ooh. I may be a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. Biggest problem is clearly the overarching lack of a transfer strategy since 2013.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Indeed.

There are a lot of posts in this thread that only reinforce the OP. Football is not a ‘product’. People can complain all they want about if we were this or that, but the fact of the matter is this is a competitive sport, you are not entitled to win every game, you are not entitled to always win trophies, and you are not entitled to always like what you get. That is the whole point of supporting a club.

If people do not understand that, they are better off following whoever is winning.
but people have every right to point out how a club is run, especially a club in such a privileged position, like United. To simply relinquish that position with a string of poor decisions is what really “bothers” normal people. The attitude of you and OPs are what’s going to help us eclipse Liverpool’s years without a title.

Fans are the biggest problem, Jesus fecking Christ. You have to be a Liverpool fan, you just have to

Grande

600m? Seriously? You know where that number comes from?

You don’t have a special ‘right’ because you chose a club with many other supporter. It’s not to your credit that they exist, and spend money. You are not ‘entitled’ more than any fan, me, an Evertonian or a Vålerenga IF fan. You do not contribute more than them. The fact you suggest people should change clubs in order to ‘win’ titles, says more than enough for me.

matt23

Comparing Madrid or Barcelona fans to ourselves as if we should all be patting ourselves on the back for not being that spoiled.

Two very big differences. They're in a league that generates feck all TV revenue because of its lack of competition at the top end. If they don't win the league or the champions league they've had a terrible season.

Secondly, they're clubs that have always been and probably always will be a more desirable place for the vast majority of foreign players to play. Honestly, I'd find it very hard to be to bothered about having a fecking hankey waved at me if I was on 300 grand a week and living in Spain.

Having said that, it's par for the course with us. We do have a fair collection of fair weather supporters that chose to follow us for the glamour and not necessarily the idea of defiantly singing Ole's name as we get our arses handed to us at Goodison Park.
Unfortunately the generation of twitter based supporters is seen as important by the people that broker our noodle partnerships and that's probably here to stay. They may be spoilt, but they're probably one of the reasons we still make more money than we did when Fergie left.

Greck

I'd trade our fanbase for Madrid's in a heartbeat. Spoilt and entitled but they keep their management on their toes and demand the best of the best. By contrast ours seem a bit subservient to authority and seem to treat mediocrity as a badge of honour

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
On that first quote I meant prioritize marketing for commercial success rather than what matters to a football club, which is winning titles.

It does insinuate the bolded. If he or the management did care about the part that concerns the fans, he would have hired a footballing man to take charge of the footballing matters rather than he himself to make decisions he isn't competent for. In the last 6 years we have been in a constant downfall but as long as the Glazers pocket the club's money he won't change anything and appoint a DoF.

And that quote is the one I could find the quickest. I'm sure if I bother to search for more I can find countless of stupid indicators of a banker leading a football club.
No it doesn't. Either you're just parroting all the nonsense you see on social media or you're not very good at comprehension. What he's saying in the quote is pretty clear: United are still making money even though the team isn't very good. This is not the same as saying commercial interests are more important that on field performance.

And no you won't find a quote of him saying that because it's utterly stupid and the CEO of a football club obviously knows that is not the case. But I'm interested to see you try and ultimately fail.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No it doesn't. Either you're just parroting all the nonsense you see on social media or you're not very good at comprehension. What he's saying in the quote is pretty clear: United are still making money even though the team isn't very good. This is not the same as saying commercial interests are more important that on field performance.

And no you won't find a quote of him saying that because it's utterly stupid and the CEO of a football club obviously knows that is not the case. But I'm interested to see you try and ultimately fail.
Just to give context to your point here is the question he was answering to:

Hi. Thank you. With the team qualifying for the Champions League, I understand there have been some changes to the prize money distribution mechanism. Can you help us understand what they are? And then, I guess, sticking with the Champions League, do you see any potential for income under sponsorship opportunities given team performance?
Edit: I put the actual transcript.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If the fans that are raging right now are glory hunters, they can easily switch clubs.But the reality they are protesting is the complete opposite of ehat you are suggesting, it means they care for the club, they are winners and will not settle for mediocrity. Fans like the ones who thinks "the raging fans are spoiled brats" are a big problem and the ones that made teams like Everton deteriorate till the point off no return and accept mediocrity.
The bolded is complete rubbish. Protesting b/c your team isn't winning doesn't make you a winner. It makes you a spoiled brat just as the OP correctly pointed out and you've proven countless times in this thread.

I guess I'm allowed to tell you that you should go support City if all you're interested in is titles.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

Great post. You have given a clear illustration of what’s an “entitled fan” and sadly we seem to have loads of them these days spewing their negativity and moaning all over the place.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Give it a rest. You can carry out your scapegoating without bringing nationality into this. Don't be thick.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
To think that our supporters, good or bad are our biggest problem is bizarre.
We have numerous problems which require resolution but I doubt that the supporters are even in the top 10.
Come on. Let's be realistic.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

Do you think it’s possible to have a problem with how the Glazers are running the institution that is Manchester United FC without necessarily moaning over anything and everything the club does?

Suppose we went out and spent 1 billion this summer and bought a brand new 11 of galacticos showing our “ambition” in the market. I guess that might silence some of the moaning but would that suddenly make you love the Glazers? Loathing the Glazers and being hopeful about the future on the pitch and optimistic with the moves being made this summer aren’t mutually exclusive.