United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

iHicksy

This is a social media problem. I don't know if any of you guys follow United on facebook but the amount of mouth breathers that are barely literate that spit vile nonsense are about 95% of the comments on there. The normal people that have a fully functioning brain don't usually comment on United's posts i'd imagine. I've certainly never felt the need to. So, what you're left with is just a bunch of absolute morons posting hatred/venting their annoyance, and nothing else. It does tend to warp the way, not just ours, but all fan bases are seen. Especially with football being such a popular sport and the tend of special kind cretin it tends to attract.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To think that our supporters, good or bad are our biggest problem is bizarre.
We have numerous problems which require resolution but I doubt that the supporters are even in the top 10.
Come on. Let's be realistic.
I mean as of right now we aren’t in a terrible place, it can actually be pretty exciting if you get behind the team.

Giggsyking

The bolded is complete rubbish. Protesting b/c your team isn't winning doesn't make you a winner. It makes you a spoiled brat just as the OP correctly pointed out and you've proven countless times in this thread.

I guess I'm allowed to tell you that you should go support City if all you're interested in is titles
Your comment is pathetic and make me feel sick. You have no right to tell others which club they support. I've been a United supporter since the 80's and we stood by the club despite no big success then. But that does not mean I will accept the deteroration now because we have leaches as owners ans idiots of a club director.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
It is called ambition, who both the club and the fans should maintain, otherwise, people should support clubs like Everton if they are not interested in titles.
Your comment is pathetic and make me feel sick. You have no right to tell others which club they support. I've been a United supporter since the 80's and we stood by the club despite no big success then. But that does not mean I will accept the deteroration now because we have leaches as owners ans idiots of a club director.

DoomSlayer

They are American aren't they?!
Don't even bother with that mate. It's clearly a bait to get a reaction from me. He is entitled to twist my comment and feel however he wishes about it.
Do you think it’s possible to have a problem with how the Glazers are running the institution that is Manchester United FC without necessarily moaning over anything and everything the club does?

Suppose we went out and spent 1 billion this summer and bought a brand new 11 of galacticos showing our “ambition” in the market. I guess that might silence some of the moaning but would that suddenly make you love the Glazers? Loathing the Glazers and being hopeful about the future on the pitch and optimistic with the moves being made this summer aren’t mutually exclusive.
This is what most sane and rational fans are pissed off about. It's about the incompetent way our resources have been wasted and the fact that there is no will from the owners to acknowledge what structural changes and future-planning needs to be done to ensure that United remains a top club.

We have totally destroyed all the advantage the club had from Sir Alex's legacy and success, it's insulting to his huge efforts and to all our legendary players that helped achieve that.

And about the spending of a billion dollars - if it's an investment into the core of the club, like modernising all the facilities, the stadium, improving fan experience and reorganasing the structure of operations, it's definitely the direction most of us would like to take. Just blindly putting vast amounts of money in transfer fees and wages is definitely not what I'm "moaning" about. My concern has always been about the basis of Manchester United and making sure that we aren't falling off due to criminal incompetence and corporate greed.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It is called ambition, who both the club and the fans should maintain, otherwise, people should support clubs like Everton if they are not interested in titles.
No self-awareness.

Giggsyking

No self-awareness.
There is a big difference. I did not directly tell to support another club. I was talking on a general idea of supporting united means supporting the greatest team in England that should compete for trophies every year. But if there are fans who are not intrested in the club and whines about those who craves success, to accept mediocrity, it is better fir them to support teams with no ambitions that matches theirs.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It’s an interesting debate nonetheless. With good points on both sides (spoilt fans vs fans who just applaud/support mediocrity).

I look at Madrid, and they’re probably the most spoilt/entitled fans out there. Doesn’t seem to be a “bad thing” for them. Albeit, obviously were not Madrid and traditionally we’ve always prided ourselves on youth etc.

I guess having a varied, massive, global fan base has its pros and cons. Locals might feel like the club has lost a bit of its identity & obviously there’s a big section of fans who also mainly started supporting us because we were winning. That’s a fact, because winning means more global coverage etc. & with a bigger global fan base it also means more money to spend.

Not even sure what I’m trying to say. Just that I can see the points from both sides, I guess.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There is a big difference. I did not directly tell to support another club. I was talking on a general idea of supporting united means supporting the greatest team in England that should compete for trophies every year. But if there are fans who are not intrested in the club and whines about those who craves success, to accept mediocrity, it is better fir them to support teams with no ambitions that matches theirs.
Don't be obtuse. There is no difference in what you said vs what I said. None at all.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I've been a United supporter since the 80's and we stood by the club despite no big success then. But that does not mean I will accept the deteroration now because we have leaches as owners ans idiots of a club director.
I find this interesting. Sincere question: how much did you know back in the 80’s about how the club was run behind the scenes?

I think the internet and social media has changed a lot in the interaction between fans and their clubs. Today there are many more details about what’s going on in the back-offices than there was then. To make things worse, not everything being reported is true, then it becomes difficult to distinguish between what’s true and what’s not. There are exaggerations of some things while some go so far below the radar that we know of it only when it’s done and by that time everyone has lost their heads. And then there is a lot of confirmation bias which drives people’s outrage overboard.

I’d dare to think that if it were this same situation in the 80’s there wouldn’t be so much indignation, simply because we wouldn’t have so much information and you would more readily stand by the club.

Reddy Rederson

I mean as of right now we aren’t in a terrible place, it can actually be pretty exciting if you get behind the team.
This was true last year, the year before that, the year before that... you see where Im going with that. Its been 7 years of failed promises. Nothing has gotten better, we are still "transitioning"(which at this point has lost all meaning). We can all enjoy singing "the sun will come out tomorrow", but its old as feck, and no one (should) believe it any more. We want some sun today, not tomorrow, today. And all the excuses and finger pointing at managers doesnt change the fact that seven years have gone by and we are still talking about getting plans into action. Seven years of planning to get plans into action. I cant say another year of that sounds promising.

If Ole manages to get a tune out of his team, its going to be in spite of how the club is run, not because of it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It’s an interesting debate nonetheless. With good points on both sides (spoilt fans vs fans who just applaud/support mediocrity).

I look at Madrid, and they’re probably the most spoilt/entitled fans out there. Doesn’t seem to be a “bad thing” for them. Albeit, obviously were not Madrid and traditionally we’ve always prided ourselves on youth etc.

I guess having a varied, massive, global fan base has its pros and cons. Locals might feel like the club has lost a bit of its identity & obviously there’s a big section of fans who also mainly started supporting us because we were winning. That’s a fact, because winning means more global coverage etc. & with a bigger global fan base it also means more money to spend.

Not even sure what I’m trying to say. Just that I can see the points from both sides, I guess.
It's not just those two types of fans though. You have fans who are concerned but will remain calm to see how things turn out and won't be overly negative.
The constant negativity trickles down to the players and this is something we have to watch. It's almost like nothing is ever good enough. All negativity is believed and everything that sounds reasonable is instantly disbelieved.

Me, I haven't looked at the sports section for ages. I avoid too much negativity. Why live like that? Why let the press rile you up and get you all negative all the time? It's not good for us and the club.

There is merit to both sides of the argument but we need to avoid too much vitriol and negativity. Nobody can thrive in that kind of environment.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

The comparison with Real Madrid isn’t fair though. Different club ownership model, different financial ecosystem (with different method of sharing tv rights), different sports ecosystem (number of domestic rivals and ease of qualifying for CL even during a rough season), different appeal in the eyes of many talented continental European and South American players, etc.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's not just those two types of fans though. You have fans who are concerned but will remain calm to see how things turn out and won't be overly negative.
The constant negativity trickles down to the players and this is something we have to watch. It's almost like nothing is ever good enough. All negativity is believed and everything that sounds reasonable is instantly disbelieved.

Me, I haven't looked at the sports section for ages. I avoid too much negativity. Why live like that? Why let the press rile you up and get you all negative all the time? It's not good for us and the club.

There is merit to both sides of the argument but we need to avoid too much vitriol and negativity. Nobody can thrive in that kind of environment.
On the bolded bit, I agree. I don't really fall in either category either. I was just trying to simplify it to either end/extreme though, i guess. When there is a perfectly sound/reasonable middle as well.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The comparison with Real Madrid isn’t fair though. Different club ownership model, different financial ecosystem (with different method of sharing tv rights), different sports ecosystem (number of domestic rivals and ease of qualifying for CL even during a rough season), different appeal in the eyes of many talented continental European and Southern American players, etc.
Aye, I don't disagree with you there bud. I even said so in my post. I don't actually have strong feelings either way. I'm not the negative kind, though i also try not to show blind faith, I guess.

Just thought its an interesting debate/topic.

Jazz

On the bolded bit, I agree. I don't really fall in either category either. I was just trying to simplify it to either end/extreme though, i guess. When there is a perfectly sound/reasonable middle as well.
And I really think we need to be in the middle. Hysteria is not going to help us. Perhaps just accept we've made bad mistakes post SAF and we are not where we would want to be. Let's see what happens with transfers this summer and let the season start. No need to get dramatic before any of us knows what will happen.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
And I really think we need to be in the middle. Hysteria is not going to help us. Perhaps just accept we've made bad mistakes post SAF and we are not where we would want to be. Let's see what happens with transfers this summer and let the season start. No need to get dramatic before any of us knows what will happen.
Yep, i've seen plenty already having written OGS's appointment off as well. Yikes :nervous:

Onwards and upwards, but i guess the more shitty appointments we get wrong, the less patient the fans are going to get with each passing appointment/manager. It's just how it goes. But yeah, we need to be patient.

Jazz

Yep, i've seen plenty already having written OGS's appointment off as well. Yikes :nervous:

Onwards and upwards, but i guess the more shitty appointments we get wrong, the less patient the fans are going to get with each passing appointment/manager. It's just how it goes. But yeah, we need to be patient.
The problem is unfortunately United seems a strange club. In that, we had a problem after Busby, now the same after Ferguson. A bit of a pattern......
To try and break away from that culture seems to cause us problems historically. Hell even Liverpool had a problem for years before Klopp. It's just one of those things.

I don't doubt we'll get it right. Will probably take a while knowing what we're like, but we will be ok eventually. I just hope they get it together before I die:lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The problem is unfortunately United seems a strange club. In that, we had a problem after Busby, now the same after Ferguson. A bit of a pattern......
To try and break away from that culture seems to cause us problems historically. Hell even Liverpool had a problem for years before Klopp. It's just one of those things.

I don't doubt we'll get it right. Will probably take a while knowing what we're like, but we will be ok eventually. I just hope they get it together before I die:lol:
:lol: I agree.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
This is what most sane and rational fans are pissed off about. It's about the incompetent way our resources have been wasted and the fact that there is no will from the owners to acknowledge what structural changes and future-planning needs to be done to ensure that United remains a top club.

We have totally destroyed all the advantage the club had from Sir Alex's legacy and success, it's insulting to his huge efforts and to all our legendary players that helped achieve that.

And about the spending of a billion dollars - if it's an investment into the core of the club, like modernising all the facilities, the stadium, improving fan experience and reorganasing the structure of operations, it's definitely the direction most of us would like to take. Just blindly putting vast amounts of money in transfer fees and wages is definitely not what I'm "moaning" about. My concern has always been about the basis of Manchester United and making sure that we aren't falling off due to criminal incompetence and corporate greed.
Interesting, thanks for sharing the link.

However, I don’t think the idea is to protest until the club is run to the ground so that the Glazers leave and we start from scratch. This thread (I think) is more about the entitlement (in terms of wanting success RIGHT NOW) which many fans seem to display, especially on Internet platforms. I think we can support the team on the field and be hopeful/optimistic about the near future while protesting against the current owners. Both positions aren’t mutually exclusive in my eyes.

One doesn’t need to bring in the poor management of the club as an institution into every discussion about the team (like the example in the OP of fans moaning when the birthday of our reserve GK was announced on Twitter). How does that help the cause?

DoomSlayer

Interesting, thanks for sharing the link.

However, I don’t think the idea is to protest until the club is run to the ground so that the Glazers leave and we start from scratch. This thread (I think) is more about the entitlement (in terms of wanting success RIGHT NOW) which many fans seem to display, especially on Internet platforms. I think we can support the team on the field and be hopeful/optimistic about the near future while protesting against the current owners. Both positions aren’t mutually exclusive in my eyes.

One doesn’t need to bring in the poor management of the club as an institution into every discussion about the team (like the example in the OP of fans moaning when the birthday of our reserve GK was announced on Twitter). How does that help the cause?
I wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph and am 1000% behind Ole, although not the same can be said for the majority of the players for different reasons.

Disagree on the last bit. The idea of the "Glazer out" movement is to make sure the owners realise what is going on and there is no other way to do it. I do support Solskjaer immensely, but I don't believe the board is providing him the structure to succeed here. Why have we been giving out new contracts to bad unperforming and permanently injured players? Why have we not sold a single player and there is no indication to that happening, when OGS said that many members of the squad have played their last games? These are just a few of the more seeable issues, I bet there is more to it underneath the curtains.

Velvet Revolver

Yesterday United's young talented goalkeeper Joel Pereira turned 23. He's a fringe player in the squad and unlikely to ever make much of an impact. He's only been involved in the first team on three occasions and only one of those was a start in a Premier League match. A meaningless end of season game against Crystal Palace. To celebrate the player's birthday, United's twitter posted a fairly innocuous birthday message. And then it began.

"Announce Wan-Bissaka" said the first reply. The next was a picture of the Crystal Palace right back in a United shirt. Posts flooded in saying that the club was 'embarrassing' for not announcing the new Manchester United player. Conspiracies floated around that United would be announcing the signing a day late to coincide with an anti-Glazer protest that is apparently planned. Details of this event seem sparce, but seem to involve tweeting a lot by fans who live in foreign countries. Apparently United would be so upset by a few thousand tweets that they would be willing to change the details of a £50 million pound signing.

This recent idea that United are 'embarrassing' seems to have seeped into everyone's consciousness. United are trying to get new scouts. 'Embarrassing'. United sign a few hungry young players from the Premier League. Embarrassing. United are linked with big money moves for Bale or such like players. Embarrassing. But it becomes painfully obvious reading this forum, reading social media or comment sections on websites, that is the behaviour of the fanbase that is increasingly embarrassing.

United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows and recouped about 50 million of that. They are the only big club to have spent money in the Premier League so far. They are the biggest spenders in the league so far this window. But that isn't enough for some United fans. They inundate message boards across the internet asking for more investment, more transfer activity and specifically signing players that they have identified on Football Manager.

The fact is United are currently operating in the right way. We have signed a talented young player from lower leagues. Response to this signing has been mixed, almost as if signing players from Championship clubs is beneath us. Nevermind the small outlay or the potential of the young player, he's already written off by some. We have followed this up by clearly improving a weak area in our squad with a defender who was statistically the best right back in the league last year. We have got him for a reasonable fee with plenty of time left. Still some complain that he isn't announced, like that matters in any way shape or form.

United fans complain about the lack of 'deadwood' moving on, but we have taken steps to sort this with Valencia, Fellaini and Wilson leaving the club. Players such as Darmian and Rojo are expected to join them shortly afterwards. These deals take time, but fans are impatient, desperately trying to get the next hit of dopamine from a transfer rumour posted by a Reddit ITK.

It is not acceptable at this stage to be so miserable about United's upcoming chances. As a fanbase we need to get behind the players. A few years ago we laughed as Klopp had his players celebrate after a 2-2 draw with West Brom. But Liverpool fans bought into what was happening and despite a relatively low spend since then, Klopp has been immensely successful.

United have a new season starting soon. We are spending money, improving the squad and working towards getting back to our perch. It might not work, but please stop being so overly dramatic, especially before a ball is even kicked. Let's get behind our young legendary manager and our new team and see if we can kick on.
Good post and I see a lot of logic and sensibility in your statements.

However the 'entitled fans' are actually a small percentage of people ( who may or may not be actual united fans) who are behind keyboards furiously reviewing social media, tabloids for any bit of news and chance to gain internet points by being the 'cool' person. And hey guess what the more points they get the more they do it. This has nothing to do with them liking football/united or not, and if we are sweating over them then I guess we have other issues in life in general.

Forums like these provide the much needed insight and knowledge from multiple different sects of fans who have seen our club through thick and thin. So if there are people with negative opinions, its good to have healthy debates about perspective. The era has changed, the football has changed, the way people view football has changed, the players have changed so why should fans be the same?

And who is to say if we had twitter and facebook in the early 90's the mature fans would not have done similar to what the new generation is currently doing?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Don't even bother with that mate. It's clearly a bait to get a reaction from me. He is entitled to twist my comment and feel however he wishes about it.
It's not to get a reaction out of you. Only saying their nationality doesn't matter and it's almost always used in a negative connotation.

Giggsyking

I find this interesting. Sincere question: how much did you know back in the 80’s about how the club was run behind the scenes?

I think the internet and social media has changed a lot in the interaction between fans and their clubs. Today there are many more details about what’s going on in the back-offices than there was then. To make things worse, not everything being reported is true, then it becomes difficult to distinguish between what’s true and what’s not. There are exaggerations of some things while some go so far below the radar that we know of it only when it’s done and by that time everyone has lost their heads. And then there is a lot of confirmation bias which drives people’s outrage overboard.

I’d dare to think that if it were this same situation in the 80’s there wouldn’t be so much indignation, simply because we wouldn’t have so much information and you would more readily stand by the club.
TBF I knew very little about the club's management and structure back then. I do agree that internet and social media made the interaction between the clubs and fans much larger and the fan base knowing little about the clubs's management gave the clubs the space and time to work with concentration. Though, I believe the OP is unfair toward a large fan base that do love the club but hate the owners and the management, it has nothing to do with impatience and being spoiled. I do think Ole deserve the time to show us what he can do, at least he is a club legend and deserves the chance more than the likes of David Moyes. But I cant help to see a gigantic economic power of a club like ours under the ownership of those who have less interest in football success than financial success.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph and am 1000% behind Ole, although not the same can be said for the majority of the players for different reasons.

Disagree on the last bit. The idea of the "Glazer out" movement is to make sure the owners realise what is going on and there is no other way to do it. I do support Solskjaer immensely, but I don't believe the board is providing him the structure to succeed here. Why have we been giving out new contracts to bad unperforming and permanently injured players? Why have we not sold a single player and there is no indication to that happening, when OGS said that many members of the squad have played their last games? These are just a few of the more seeable issues, I bet there is more to it underneath the curtains.
Fair enough. I see what you mean.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
TBF I knew very little about the club's management and structure back then. I do agree that internet and social media made the interaction between the clubs and fans much larger and the fan base knowing little about the clubs's management gave the clubs the space and time to work with concentration. Though, I believe the OP is unfair toward a large fan base that do love the club but hate the owners and the management, it has nothing to do with impatience and being spoiled. I do think Ole deserve the time to show us what he can do, at least he is a club legend and deserves the chance more than the likes of David Moyes. But I cant help to see a gigantic economic power of a club like ours under the ownership of those who have less interest in football success than financial success.
That’s fair. Your position does sound sensible, unlike some of the others OP was referring to.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Thread title is bollocks.

Fans have very little effect on the fortunes the club.

Moonwalker

Thread title is bollocks.

Fans have very little effect on the fortunes the club.
Yeah, we have a lot of egregious fans, as evidenced by a large sample on here, but I'm not sure how highly that ranks on the list of club's problems (if at all).

It's a huge problem for anyone daft enough to browse the forum and expect to read some sense though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes exactly.
The very best way of showing the true class of our supporters is to get behind the team and in my view, whatever is written in our fans forums, we do get behind them.

Kostov

No it doesn't. Either you're just parroting all the nonsense you see on social media or you're not very good at comprehension. What he's saying in the quote is pretty clear: United are still making money even though the team isn't very good. This is not the same as saying commercial interests are more important that on field performance.

And no you won't find a quote of him saying that because it's utterly stupid and the CEO of a football club obviously knows that is not the case. But I'm interested to see you try and ultimately fail.
You need to be seriously blindfolded to fail to see how fecking rotten Woodward’s management has been in this last 6 years.

The fecking Disneyland pitch he presented to Klopp and him refusing tells you all you need to know about how far we are behind the properly run football clubs of the world. But whatever floats your boat Mack.

Only one day to go from the Moyes’s original 6 years contract and the future is bright once again.