Unpopular Football Opinions

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Whether it be among Man United fans, or football fans in general, what unpopular opinions do you have relating to football?

The White Pele

Scott Parker isn't that good.

England's "Golden Generation" of 2006 did not have the talent to earn such a tag and were actually weaker than England sides of previous tournaments.

In terms of being unpopular views on the caf, I seem to rate Victor Moses more than other posters.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
On this board maybe, but elsewhere he is championed.
Really? Take a look around other forums and you'll see that most would agree that he's not that good and is actually no more than decent after all. Only the media and some Spurs fans will really try to tell you that he's a top player.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd sack Trapattoni right now given the chance.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Rafael being a great right back. No matter what channel I put on there is always someone slating him.
I think a lot of people are confusing ability with inexperience. When Thomson was talking about him on SSN earlier on, he highlighted a lot of mistakes he had made, and was right to an extent in what he said. I don't think that's down to a lack of ability though. It's more down to a lack of experience, as he's still developing a lot when it comes to his positional and tactical game. I'd actually say he's like Phil Jones a little bit, in that sense.

The White Pele

Really? Take a look around other forums and you'll see that most would agree that he's not that good and is actually no more than decent after all. Only the media and some Spurs fans will really try to tell you that he's a top player.

That's probably true regarding other forums, although I don't really tend to visit them. I suppose in general people that feel compelled to post on a football forum are more knowledgeable than others. Certainly if you canvas opinion from the man in the pub or colleagues in the office and, as you say, the media, players like Parker are always talked about favourably over more subtle players like Carrick.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The only thing keeping Ryan Giggs in the team this season has been sentimentality. If he were a defender and he put in comparable performances in a position like Gary Neville's like Gary last season, people would be saying he should probably retire. Sorry but a few vital assists and a couple of crucial goals just aren't enough for me when our midfield is shaky as feck whenever he is in it. I put it to you that if we played a midfield that could kill off the game instead of throwing Giggs in there, the Norwich goal wouldn't have been as necessary as it was.

The White Pele

Alan Smith wasn't all that bad for us.
Certainly started well enough for us. I think Rooney's arrival barely a month later meant that long-term he would always struggle to make an impact at the club. I never really saw him as a number 9 and the midfield experiment was misguided.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's probably true regarding other forums, although I don't really tend to visit them. I suppose in general people that feel compelled to post on a football forum are more knowledgeable than others. Certainly if you canvas opinion from the man in the pub or colleagues in the office and, as you say, the media, players like Parker are always talked about favourably over more subtle players like Carrick.
I guess so, although I guess it does really all depend on what group of people you're talking to when it comes to an issue like this.

stubie

Ferdinand has seen his best days (Or is that stating the obvious?)

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Thierry Henry was very good, but overrated. As was Arsenal's 2004 side, who only won a single trophy and have never retained the league title. Which is the hallmark of a great side.

Plan M

Thierry Henry was very good, but overrated. As was Arsenal's 2004 side, who only won a single trophy and have never retained the league title. Which is the hallmark of a great side.
Oh come on, Henry was sensational in an Arse shirt, not just "very good". He's up there with Cantona and co.

The White Pele

Bergkamp although being ridiculous talented was not consistently productive enough to be considered amongst the best of the Premier League era.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I would agree with you about the second part on the Arsenal team. Yes, what they did was incredible and a brilliant achievement, but their points total itself wasn't all that great. I'd rate what Chelsea did in the league the next year above what Arsenal did in 2004, as they comfortably amassed a higher points total than them. That's not to say that the invincibles weren't a great side, because they were, but I can see how they're overrated.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
If Ronaldo played for Barcelona and Messi for Madrid then everyone would be wanking over Ronnie instead of Messi because Barca win a lot of cups.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Not really unpopular these days. I've grown tired of watching them and I have heard a few pundits saying the same on tv/radio last few months.
I prefer watching Madrid out of the two, they are more direct and you see a greater variety of goals.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I would agree with you about the second part on the Arsenal team. Yes, what they did was incredible and a brilliant achievement, but their points total itself wasn't all that great. I'd rate what Chelsea did in the league the next year above what Arsenal did in 2004, as they comfortably amassed a higher points total than them. That's not to say that the invincibles weren't a great side, because they were, but I can see how they're overrated.
Yup. Juventus are currently doing the same thing and are barely winning the league. 4 games left, still undefeated but only have a 3 point lead.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What impressed me about the 2004 Arsenal wasn't the unbeaten league run, it was the quality of the football they played.It was painful to watch them dominate the league in style that season