Unpopular Football Opinions

nemanja15

Two things I'm having difficulty convincing my mates with at the moment(!):

1) Carrick is crucial to Man Utd success.

2) Rafael will one day be the best right back in the world.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Two things I'm having difficulty convincing my mates with at the moment(!):

1) Carrick is crucial to Man Utd success.

2) Rafael will one day be the best right back in the world.
On the first point, that's quite an interesting one. Most fans of other teams on forums have recognised Carrick's significant improvement as a player this season, however when talking to a lot of my mates, I realised that none of them still particularly rate Carrick, with one of them saying he just 'doesn't do anything'. Now, what surprised me is that some of my friends are actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to their football.

On the second point, I think the best right back in the world may be a bit extreme, and it will largely depend on the pool of other right backs out there. I do think that once he becomes less rash and gains a lot more experience, that he will be up there among some of the world's better right backs though.

The White Pele

On the second point, that English team contained players from the top 4 who were doing well in European competition, they definitely underperformed. Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Cole, Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, J Cole...
I would argue that although we had some top players we lacked quality in key positions i.e goalkeeper, central midfield (Scholes had retired and Gerrard/Lampard were attacking midfielders for my money) and a number 9.

Compare that to previous sides and I'm not sure it's really any better. The 98 side for example had a better balance to it in my opinion. Even though it had weaker players like Le Saux, Anderton, Batty it had a strong spine. Seaman would have gotten in the 2006 side, Campbell and Adams were solid and I would take the Scholes-Ince pairing over Lampard and Gerrard. Shearer was a better number 9 than anything we've had since and we weren't short of depth in that area with Owen, Sheringham, Fowler, Cole.

When you read the names in the 2006 team it certainly looks like a golden generation but we had David James in goal, Gerrard and Lampard in roles where they are short of world class, and Beckham and Owen were not at their peaks.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
1. Rafael is not Manchester United class.
2. Bale would be a great signing.

AlwaysRedwood

You really are just a big bag of tough nails aren't you. This feeling of fear I get every time you speak. Your location says LA but are you really not Ross Kemp from Extras?

You didn't get at all what I said did you. My point was that he was a big big contributor to our title and if we hadn't have bought him we wouldn't have won it. Maybe if we haven't had bought him and bought someone else we would but you didn't say that. That was my point in asking. Cause if you didn't specify that then, like I said before, no wonder people didn't agree with you.
No one else was specifying what they said either, sweety. This is just the thing that is like sand in your cnut.

We would have won the title with a better purchase, which would have been easy considering the sum.

And, I guess you are right and I was wrong. Berba is now starting all our big games. He's our big game striker.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Rooney is a better player and bigger United legend than Scholes.

Giggs is still a very good midfielder.

Ronaldo's a couple of classes below Beckenbauer and co. never mind Maradona and co.

Torres is a better player than Drogba.

De Gea's a better keeper than Neuer.

Busquets is the best midfielder around outside of Xaviesta.

Richards is a good attacker, not a good defender.

Gee Male

Ronaldo's a couple of classes below Beckenbauer and co. never mind Maradona and co.

There'll be some unpopular ones there alright. The first one being the biggest for me.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There'll be some unpopular ones there alright. The first one being the biggest for me.
The one that caught my eye was him saying De Gea is better than Neuer. I'd disagree with that.

Gee Male

The one that caught my eye was him saying De Gea is better than Neuer. I'd disagree with that.
Yeah that's another controversial one, though I'd let it slide.

That's the whole point of the thread though I guess, for once a post you don't agree with is a good post.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Oh come on, Henry was sensational in an Arse shirt, not just "very good". He's up there with Cantona and co.
Yes, he was sensational. Fair play. But I stand by 'overrated', because many were puzzled at how he didn't wear European or World footballer of the year. In truth, he was never the best in the World in any given year.

He was also a big game choker, almost by definition if his record in cup finals is looked at, let alone crunch matches against top sides.

I would agree with you about the second part on the Arsenal team. Yes, what they did was incredible and a brilliant achievement, but their points total itself wasn't all that great. I'd rate what Chelsea did in the league the next year above what Arsenal did in 2004, as they comfortably amassed a higher points total than them. That's not to say that the invincibles weren't a great side, because they were, but I can see how they're overrated.
I don't think Arsenal's 2004 side was 'great'. I think that's an overused word. One trophy that season, with no league title either side of 2003/04 makes them the level down from 'great'. They were outstanding and exciting to watch, though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A few of my own now.

Leighton Baines is better than Ashley Cole.

Darren Fletcher isn't as good as many United fans say he is and he's only a bit better than someone like Scott Parker.

Scholes is a bigger Man United legend than Giggs.

Puyol, when fit and playing well, is better than Pique.

Carvalho was much better than Terry when the two of them were in their prime at Chelsea.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
A few of my own now.

Leighton Baines is better than Ashley Cole.
I can't see that one, at all. Baines' delivery and set pieces are superb, but Cole is superior in every other department.

Carvalho was much better than Terry when the two of them were in their prime at Chelsea.
I was saying that for years whilst they played together. Most of my mates took no notice. It doesn't mean I was right, but really, I am.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I would have rather signed Obi Mikel than taken Chelsea's money.
Blimey.

I think the money was better used on Michael Carrick, personally. I've never been impressed with Mikel.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I can't see that one, at all. Baines' delivery and set pieces are superb, but Cole is superior in every other department.

I was saying that for years whilst they played together. Most of my mates took no notice. It doesn't mean I was right, but really, I am.
I would've agree that Cole was better for years and that there wasn't much debate to be had about it at all. I think Cole's been on the decline for a good while now and while his attacking game is still good, his defensive game is poor, and he's often exposed big time whenever he comes up against a fast or tricky defender, which was a major reason for players like Nani and Valencia playing well against Chelsea in recent encounters. I used the comparison of Baines and Cole because it's relevant for England.

On Carvalho, I think Terry got a lot more of the praise because Chelsea fans loved him as a homegrown player. Terry was a good player in his prime no doubt, but I always felt that even then, he was slightly overrated by some because he was a homegrown player. Carvalho was a superb defender who I didn't feel got as much praise as he often deserved.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Mikel's a bit like Anderson in a way. Not in playing style, but in predicament. Two foreigners who came over and received a lot of hype. Both have shown glimpses of ability and are quite young, but they're generally poor and go off form for large periods. Still, their occasional good patches and still relatively youthful age means that their club continues to show some patience in them.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I would've agree that Cole was better for years and that there wasn't much debate to be had about it at all. I think Cole's been on the decline for a good while now and while his attacking game is still good, his defensive game is poor, and he's often exposed big time whenever he comes up against a fast or tricky defender, which was a major reason for players like Nani and Valencia playing well against Chelsea in recent encounters. I used the comparison of Baines and Cole because it's relevant for England.

On Carvalho, I think Terry got a lot more of the praise because Chelsea fans loved him as a homegrown player. Terry was a good player in his prime no doubt, but I always felt that even then, he was slightly overrated by some because he was a homegrown player. Carvalho was a superb defender who I didn't feel got as much praise as he often deserved.
I just wouldn't say Baines is a much better defender. Nani did tear Cole a new one this season, but that so rarely happens. I think Cole has been better than people have made out, this season. Although Baines, this campaign, has been better.

I think the other reason Terry was popular was his style caught the eye of the English fans. Blood and thunder, big challenges and admittedly, a very good captain. Carvalho was more intelligent, read the game better and often cleared up the mess Terry left.

I thought Ferdinand got a raw deal from fans when people considered his and Terry's England partnership. Rio, for me, was far better at 2006 World Cup, yet Terry somehow made team of the tournament. Same goes for 2008 CL team of the season.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Mikel's a bit like Anderson in a way. Not in playing style, but in predicament. Two foreigners who came over and received a lot of hype. Both have shown glimpses of ability and are quite young, but they're generally poor and go off form for large periods. Still, their occasional good patches and still relatively youthful age means that their club continues to show some patience in them.
Perhaps, although - if we are comparing - Anderson's career has been heavily disrupted by injury. Mikel's hasn't.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I just wouldn't say Baines is a much better defender. Nani did tear Cole a new one this season, but that so rarely happens. I think Cole has been better than people have made out, this season. Although Baines, this campaign, has been better.

I think the other reason Terry was popular was his style caught the eye of the English fans. Blood and thunder, big challenges and admittedly, a very good captain. Carvalho was more intelligent, read the game better and often cleared up the mess Terry left.

I thought Ferdinand got a raw deal from fans when people considered his and Terry's England partnership. Rio, for me, was far better at 2006 World Cup, yet Terry somehow made team of the tournament. Same goes for 2008 CL team of the season.
Possibly, but as I said it generally is an unpopular opinion and I didn't expect a lot of people to agree with me on it.

As for Terry, you're completely right that it's his style which really caught the eye of people. It's almost what is wrong with English football in a sense: that the hard working players who are willing to put their body on the line wrongfully receive favour over the players who are actually the best and have more ability than them. People would look at Terry and praise him for a last ditch tackle: ignoring that he would've only had to make that tackle because he was out of position in the first place, for example.

You're completely right about Carvalho as well. Often, the more intelligent defenders are just disregarded because you're not going to see a defenders highlight reel focusing on positioning and intelligently reading the game. You'll always see challenges and goaline clearances.

Dave89

That Ronaldo fecked off on a plane and can stay in Spain for all I care

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.

In my opinion he is neither of those things, I honestly can't see how you've come to that conclusion.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
But I stand by 'overrated', because many were puzzled at how he didn't wear European or World footballer of the year. In truth, he was never the best in the World in any given year..
Aye. He's one of the best players never to have won that award, along with other greats such as Raul, Xavi and Michael Laudrup, but every year he was in contention there was somebody else more deserving, such as Pavel Nedved or Ronaldinho.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In my opinion he is neither of those things, I honestly can't see how you've come to that conclusion.
Takes a special player to be the top scorer of one of the greatest club sides in the game and that, along with Rooney being the key player in a Champions League finalists side, will stand the test of time better than anything Scholesy's done. As for Rooney being better, well that's just personal preference.

Cristiano_RAFC

1. Suarez has a poor technique. I realise people don't like him here (and I certainly don't like him eiter), but I often read here that people still rate him as a player. I however just don't. His first touch is really average in my opinion and when he tries to get passed players, he always tries to run right through them for some reason. The times he actually succeeds, it involves a lot of luck rather than skill.

2. Bale is a decent player, but not world class or world class potential as he's often made out to be in the UK. He's good, but not THAT good. Overrated player (in the UK at least) in my opinion.

3. Neuer is an average goalkeeper who is overrated by the German press and the transfer muppets in the caf. Neuer being German, a goalkeeper and 1 good game against Porto, doesn't make him world class.

I'm glad we have a thread now were we can post our unpopular opinions. :)
This thread is a free pass for unpopular opinions, am I right? :)

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Is this a thread where people post genuine unpopular opinions or do they just come here to post bullshit?